Housing?

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeson Thackery.5927

Aeson Thackery.5927

Bump please.
Being a former Animal Crossing fanatic, this idea absolutely appeals to me. I could literally spend ages decorating my pad and shuffling around furniture (I had the Lovely set). These are perfect gem store items that I would definitely want for my character. Preferably you would have instanced communities to give a feeling of realness, and the ability to invite players to your pad.

My suggestion is to implement instanced versions of the home area for each race (Imagine being able to access those far up-areas in Divinity’s Reach and looking out across the city, or having a leaf styled house inside the Grove), alternatively a brand new housing area.
You could also implement achievements for the system if you wanted as well (Bake 3 cookies for your neighbor and get 5 silver). If implemented well I don’t see why this could not become a great success.

Woo 200 replies!

But yes i agree, I put soooooooo much time into my past houses.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azaziel.3608

Azaziel.3608

As long as you don’t start putting vendors, banks and other stuff to get people away from the cities, it would be great…
Maybe some of these have already been suggested but still this are my thoughts.

• A wardrobe to keep your armor skins.
  • A small vault (maybe the size of 1 bank tab would be ok).
  • Something to change your hair also could be fine, like a mirror.
  • A little garden or orchard where to grow a couple of plants.
  • A trophy room, some trophys could be placed by the player, others earned immediatly on achievement.
  • A way to rest when you’re offline, maybe a buff, not a big thing, maybe some magic find like 5% or so for a couple of hours or something not even combat related…
  • The choice of having one big house for all your characters or smaller individual ones, or the possibility to expand it to house more chars.
  • A basement, to keep kidnapped npcs xD

Housing?

in Suggestions

Aeson Thackery.5927

As long as you don’t start putting vendors, banks and other stuff to get people away from the cities, it would be great…
Maybe some of these have already been suggested but still this are my thoughts.

• A wardrobe to keep your armor skins.
  • A small vault (maybe the size of 1 bank tab would be ok).
  • Something to change your hair also could be fine, like a mirror.
  • A little garden or orchard where to grow a couple of plants.
  • A trophy room, some trophys could be placed by the player, others earned immediatly on achievement.
  • A way to rest when you’re offline, maybe a buff, not a big thing, maybe some magic find like 5% or so for a couple of hours or something not even combat related…
  • The choice of having one big house for all your characters or smaller individual ones, or the possibility to expand it to house more chars.
  • A basement, to keep kidnapped npcs xD

But can you imagine how awesome it’d be to set up your very own store with vendors and all…add in a trading/crafting profession and you’re golden. This was perfect in SWG. And, the cities were still quite populated.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: cannons.8109

cannons.8109

This is the only thing I would spend real life money on in GW2. Would also like it if you could have a sexy spouse.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Housing should be account based and persistent. They can make a new zone, which they will expand more as more players are coming in. The land should be unlocked to the account but not signed until the players will unlock the possibility to create a house.

Players will have to choose one of the 5 races type designs and these will be available one one per account.

Unlocking a house should be a process not a simple quest. For example, the materials needed for the house should be bought with karma. As the game it is now, karma can be used for more things so this will divide players into those interested in their houses and other interested in other things.

Players’ houses should be different in sizes accordingly to the number of achievements
so if a player will just farm karma in Orr and only kill Risen, than he will not have too many achievements as those doing the jumping puzzles, exploration, map completion, etc. so their house will just be a mall cottage not a castle. More achievements = more house designs unlocked to purchase

Changing the race type design will imply that the old house will be demolished. The furniture will be transmuted in the new design and moved to the new house.

The housing zone will a futuristic round town with sectors coming from a center. The town will be able to expand away from the center.

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Neighborhoods would be great. If there’s a quest arc, that would be fine, but I think since we already have the home instance they’ll just use that.

One thing I’d really like is a menagerie/pet room, or some way to have pets be out and about. I feel sad leaving them in the bank all the time, but there’s not really much to do with pets, and most pets run so slowly that I feel like I have to slow down when I have them out.

It could address a lot of material concerns too – there’s a sheep minipet right? So have players tend it and get wool! Or scales and claws from the scaled ones, etc. There are a lot of opportunities for non-violent game play, and I’d like to see more of that. And I’d love to be able to play with my pets instead of just running around with them trailing me.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

Personally, I dislike neighborhoods.

They can’t be handcrafted and end up being a bland grass-covered plain or something similar.
Your neighboring houses are always abandoned and/or ignored, no one lives there. It’s very depressing.
It takes away feeling of being unique and damages immersion overall.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dedara.7064

Dedara.7064

There could be little houses scattered around the world that you could pay to “rent” so that you could enter that house. You could pretend it is YOUR house but actually it would be available to other players who picked that house. You would enter an instance where you can build upgrades like a crafting station, a bank ect. and even furniture decor for those who are into that. That way there wouldn’t be a house for every GW2 player which is already imposible, but you can still pick a house in a disired location, live in it, and make it your own. I think they should totally be in the open world and can be invaded and destroyed by a DE. Then you could buy gaurd dogs/monsters that fend off the invaders while your away. This would be cool even for guilds if not individual players.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Artofwar.7492

Artofwar.7492

I play a game called Ultima Online that allows players to find an area and build a plot > construct walls/stairs/etc… at several levels as well as decorate it. Thats only reason that game still has private servers with 1k+ players online. If this game had it to where you could find an empty area and place a plot and build it would quad the game experience imo.. But if there instanced don’t even bother.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

I want to be able to rent a “room” in existing NPC towns. No need for new neighborhoods when there are so many awesome little places in the world already. I mean how cool would it be to have a small seaside house in Garrenhoff.

and furniture crafting skills would be awesome woodworkers can make chairs and tables, tailors can make rugs, armorsmiths can make kettles and stoves, jewelers can make mirrors, etc.

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

I don’t care about housing, I know some people do and I am ok with that. If they had housing I would probably get one but what I want to see more than anything else is the implication of guild Halls again.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Voonith.2561

Voonith.2561

Why not just put residential areas outside of Guild Halls in the same instance?
I’m just thinking out loud, of course, but I think it would be cool if you and all your guildies could form a residential community of sorts.

I would love housing. Something similar to a large Hall of Monuments (from GW1) where it’s account based would be great. A persistent area where the home interiors are instanced is certainly fine, but I would be so terribly disappointed if it were as small as the “Home” areas in the main cities. I found it extremely unbelievable, and lame, when I first discovered that my street-rat, commoner, and noble Human characters all hang around the same social areas, for example.

All’s fair in love and Wuv.
[ART] Gate of Madness

(edited by Voonith.2561)

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

i would like to live in divinity’s reach. the houses look so cool! or Orr. Orr has some nice beaches i can imagine spending my days on, protected by Risen.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

yep and then we can add in the mini game of Plants vs. Zombies when you live on Orr.

There is an old saying, Location Location Location

Orr is not Location location location ;-)

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Talyjta.9081

Talyjta.9081

Well, housing seems to be an issue of great emotions.
But I think you don’t have to fear a million houses on each server. Even if there are many players that like housing, a lot of players won’t care. And not every player needs one house for each of his characters.
And couldn’t be different likes and dislikes be also a chance? I could imagine that the game offer
- instanced housing regions around guild halls,
- other instanced housing regions (or maybe even single house instances somewhere scattered througout the map),
- and a limited number of appartments or small houses in the towns.
And then it’s up to the player to choose: in the town, he can’t influence the size and floorplan of his house, but he has a house fitting perfectly into the fictive world. In the area next to his guild hall, he can decide much more about his house (and garden, something not offered in the towns), maybe even enlarge it lateron. And those who could only imagine a character living somewhere alone… well, they migth even choose only a hollow in a hedge or a liar as their home. (They probably won’t buy lots of furniture for that, I guess…) And it will perfectly fit their need if noone else ever will see that, except a dedicated group member, so everyone else doesn’t need to bother about “inappropriate” – it will be an instance hidden for everyone except the owner and his group.

In the German forum there was the proposal of an island as guild instance. I think that wasn’t discussed here until now? It could start with an half-ruined fort, a scruffy village and a lot of feral space. Then the guild can start to upgrade the island bit by bit: strengthen the walls and doors (like in WvW), build and decorate a festival hall, “buy” vendors and crafting workshops, start a tavern as place for banquets and character-weddings, install an armory, define pieces of the island as building places for character houses, buy an asura waypoint, … You could even think about a derelicted mine as a small dungeon.

I for myself would really like the possibility to have an area for all miniature pets you own (much more lovable then only to store them in the bank), and the possibility to set up a familiy (spouse and children) or, if the house is big enough, even a household with domestics. And, if allowed, a garden to plant cooking ingredients…

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

In the German forum there was the proposal of an island as guild instance. I think that wasn’t discussed here until now? It could start with an half-ruined fort, a scruffy village and a lot of feral space. Then the guild can start to upgrade the island bit by bit: strengthen the walls and doors (like in WvW), build and decorate a festival hall, “buy” vendors and crafting workshops, start a tavern as place for banquets and character-weddings, install an armory, define pieces of the island as building places for character houses, buy an asura waypoint, … You could even think about a derelicted mine as a small dungeon.

Read it just now and it sounds amazing. It can be used for personal housing as well.

Basically, in addition to housing in a standard home instance, they can add specific instances, which have specific themes.

For example, they can add a Forest Instance, which is a big patch of land, surrounded by trees, with a river, flowing nearby.
You can improve both house and surrounding lands.
As example, on level 3+ of house growth you can build a watermill on river and/or irrigation system, which enables your ability to grow a certain kind of flora.

Great thing is, this proposal is not that hard to implement. Just throw an NPC, who lets you choose and buy new instance and who can port you there.
Creating an instance itself is not hard, assuming that it is just a bunch of new small maps.
And upgrading your infrastructure (can be done trough the same NPC) simply takes you to another variation of such map, where upgrade already exists.

They can even allow to buy instance of every kind and make achievements for ownership and progression of all instances, similar to dungeon explorer or cultural clothes achievements.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Aeson Thackery.5927

Well, housing seems to be an issue of great emotions.
But I think you don’t have to fear a million houses on each server. Even if there are many players that like housing, a lot of players won’t care. And not every player needs one house for each of his characters.
And couldn’t be different likes and dislikes be also a chance? I could imagine that the game offer
- instanced housing regions around guild halls,
- other instanced housing regions (or maybe even single house instances somewhere scattered througout the map),
- and a limited number of appartments or small houses in the towns.
And then it’s up to the player to choose: in the town, he can’t influence the size and floorplan of his house, but he has a house fitting perfectly into the fictive world. In the area next to his guild hall, he can decide much more about his house (and garden, something not offered in the towns), maybe even enlarge it lateron. And those who could only imagine a character living somewhere alone… well, they migth even choose only a hollow in a hedge or a liar as their home. (They probably won’t buy lots of furniture for that, I guess…) And it will perfectly fit their need if noone else ever will see that, except a dedicated group member, so everyone else doesn’t need to bother about “inappropriate” – it will be an instance hidden for everyone except the owner and his group.

I for myself would really like the possibility to have an area for all miniature pets you own (much more lovable then only to store them in the bank), and the possibility to set up a familiy (spouse and children) or, if the house is big enough, even a household with domestics. And, if allowed, a garden to plant cooking ingredients…

Hmm, that is a really interesting idea…i would think it’d be a lot of fun for people in guilds, although they should have regular housing as well, for the people not in guilds.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: cagiepoo.8162

cagiepoo.8162

Maybe why not use some of the existing structures for housing e.g. there are a lot of buildings around Divinity’s Reach just there for show, maybe utilize those buildings as Real Estate, open up major cities as living neighborhoods. Not sure how it would be implemented but just an idea. I would surely love a place in either Divinity’s Reach or the Vigil’s Keep…. lol

Fortitudinem et honorem

[iQ] Intrinsic Quality

(edited by cagiepoo.8162)

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Umei.7052

Umei.7052

OH MA GAWD I NEED DECO FOR MA GW2 HOUSE! (sorry but only caps were suitable for my ridiculously strong desire for GW2 housing deco :o)

but yea love all these ideas, and there def could be some time spent in endgame on decorating or enhancing a house. I know I would waste time on it!

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Don’t put in anything to replace what’s in cities already. The cities are empty enough already.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I don’t mind instanced housing just so that housing is very extensive and not an overly horrendous gold/money sink. The instanced set up would need to FEEL open, though..Maybe they could designate locations within the game that are like open areas where we could build our houses etc so that it doesn’t feel like it’s an instance…I want my space to be fully customizable, and I want to have different styles of houses. My main grew up amongst nobility so I want a house that reflects my choices in-game etc.

Housing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Talyjta.9081

Talyjta.9081

Don’t put in anything to replace what’s in cities already. The cities are empty enough already.

But wouldn’t happen quite the opposite in this case? Actually, the city buildings are kind of “dead”, only “backdrop” or scenery. If they are opend for players, that would be a reason to be inside your “home town”, making them more lively, not less. Or do I miss something? :-o

The instanced set up would need to FEEL open, though..

I agree. Maybe it can be at least patially be achieved by inserting NPCs that have their own houses there, doing garden work, observing their children playing, doing shopping and so on.
The possibility of player meetings would be still more satisfying. But that’s difficult because each house needs it space in the environment, but the ways should not become too long.
What about an instanced “market place” to which every instanced settlement routes you if you enter it? You are starting from your home, therefore you can assume it being part of your settlement, and on the other hand, you can meet other players that feel as they are in their settlements. Part of this central market could be a really big taverna where you get free drinks from time to time (e.g. if someone is buying influence for his guild), cater a party or a marriage, … Another area could be for crafting and kind of a shopping mall (including a Black Lion Trading post). That should attract some people, I hope.