Idea: Daily Quest to replace Daily Achievements

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Alright, we know how dailies in GW2 work. Relatively simple set of tasks meant to unlock naturally no matter how you play. But does it really work that way?.. Eh…

It seems that dailies, more often than not, turn to rather dull and frustrating grind in the end. A very small, tiny, insignificant amount of grind, but nonetheless – dull.

So let’s spice it up!

Instead of having to fulfill X number out of Y number like we do in every single MMO quest ever, let’s have a randomly-generated quest to to conquer!

Okay, here’s how it’d work for the players:

Once a day, whenever you check your achievement tab, you’re given an option to teleport to a certain spot in a map you’ve previously visited (and back once you’re done). This is how you accept the Quest.

Once you’re there, you’re given a clear path to a nearby randomly-picked Point-of-Interest, then from there to a nearby Renown Heart which you must complete, then from there to a nearby Skill Challenge which you must conquer, and for the grand finale, a loose path to find and view a nearby Vista. At the end of it, you get your usual rewards and a ride to where you originally were.

tl;dr: Complete a randomly-picked renown heart, skill challenge and vista on a randomly-picked map.

Simple, no?

A structured mini-adventure in place of by-the-numbers task. Exploring the world instead of looking for that one mob type to kill or more copper to mine.

Pros:

• Clear objective
  • Incentive to explore/revisit all areas for all players
  • Proper feeling of achievement and fulfillment in the end
  • Fun!

Cons:

• Doesn’t integrate into any other mode of play, must be completed on its own; forcing a set, separate task may actually turn out to be worse – that has to be judged by play-testing.

PS: Yeah, I know it’s not going to happen. Thanks for reading this far!

(edited by Draco.2806)

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

I don’t do the daily achievement any more. If I happen to get close to completing one, I will finish it but otherwise, it is too much like grinding and I do not grind! Not in any MMO! I play for fun and fun alone. If that means I do not level, I am fine with that.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten Who Hates the Daily Grind

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Why not have both, rather than taking away something?

I’ve made threads suggesting:

• A New Nicolas the Traveler NPC, possibly Ameranth
  • Daily Order and Pact Missions, since, aside from the storyline, play no part in our lives whatsoever, despite us being high-ranked.

Other people have also suggested things like Treasure Hunts, where you get a map and you have to find the place described / drawn. So rather than being led around, there’s an element of true exploration.

I’m not saying your idea is a bad one, just the whole ’let’s replace’ thing. More content, I say! MORE!

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Draco.2806

I don’t do the daily achievement any more. If I happen to get close to completing one, I will finish it but otherwise, it is too much like grinding and I do not grind! Not in any MMO! I play for fun and fun alone. If that means I do not level, I am fine with that.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten Who Hates the Daily Grind

Agreed.

Although my OCD gets the best of me, I often must complete these kitten things. Plus, you sometimes get something useful at the end of it…

Why not have both, rather than taking away something?

Yeah, why not. That’s to be determined later on, if it’s even a thing. The experience Dailies award currently will probably have to stay, because it’s part of the anti-grind scheme and overall leveling balance.

[Daily missions, etc.]

Neat! But seems pretty hard to implement in practice, doesn’t it? I mean, there’d have to be a lot of new content created for it, rather than old stuff being re-used. Descriptions and such.

(edited by Draco.2806)

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

lol…I have a friend with OCD…only he says, ‘I have CDO! The letters are in the order in which they belong’.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

Neat! But seems pretty hard to implement in practice, doesn’t it? I mean, there’d have to be a lot of new content created for it, rather than old stuff being re-used. Descriptions and such.

Let’s take, for example, the statue of Pyre Fierceshot:

• The Humans sort of saw him as a necessary ally, despite the humans and charr being enemies
  • The Charr saw him as their saviour and freedom from the slavery of the Flame Legion.

Two different perspectives, but both leading to the same place. Same as the Ghosts of Ascalon. The common knowledge for Humans is that it was the Charr’s fault, while the Charr see them as their enemy.

If you take things like Racial perspective into account, you can recycle the content while it still being ‘different’. It’s different paths leading to the same place.

Not only that, the PoI: a quick rough sketch of the place and that’s where you have to find.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Draco.2806

No, no, I mean it’d be terrific to have something like that in the game, and it’s certainly possible it’s just that it required more than a little effort from ANet to implement: analyze the areas, write trivia, make sure the logic actually works, make sure detection works and – possibly most importantly – somehow count on majority of players who know nothing about lore or the maps or basic logic to figure it all out.

Awesome, definitely achievable, but hard to implement.

Not that my idea requires no effort, of course.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

No, no, I mean it’d be terrific to have something like that in the game, and it’s certainly possible it’s just that it required more than a little effort from ANet to implement: analyze the areas, write trivia, make sure the logic actually works, make sure detection works and – possibly most importantly – somehow count on majority of players who know nothing about lore or the maps or basic logic to figure it all out.

Awesome, definitely achievable, but hard to implement.

Not that my idea requires no effort, of course.

One game: The Secret World.

It would encourage people to go look into the lore, to use their heads (which is somewhat lacking in most MMO’s today, unfortunately), to actually explore and pay attention to their surroundings. This sort of thing would add a whole new layer of depth to the game outside of combat and the fun activities.

Whatever other flaws it has, it brought this sort of thing to the genre.

As for the detection issues, why not have a chest that spawns exclusively for you and contains an item that you have to hand in? They’ve shown it can be done with Gathering nodes.

Yes, it would be a massive undertaking. But one that, IMHO, would be totally worth it and appreciated by many people, whether it be the lore buffs, the explorers, the people who like to think or people who simply want a change of pace.

And although it may sound like a broken record, get the community involved! The community is probably comprised of Artists, people who like riddles and puzzles, poets, lore-buffs, and anyone else that, providing it’s moderated, could create a huge pool of resources for them to work from.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Draco.2806

Yes, it would be a massive undertaking. But one that, IMHO, would be totally worth it and appreciated by many people, whether it be the lore buffs, the explorers, the people who like to think or people who simply want a change of pace.

Oh yeah, totally.

Jot down that idea, make sure developers hear it once their suggestion-taking tool is in working order.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

Oh yeah, totally.

Jot down that idea, make sure developers hear it once their suggestion-taking tool is in working order.

Like I said, wasn’t my idea, was just telling you about it. Here’s the link:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Treasure-maps/first#post481218

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think the current Daily Achievements are fine as they are. They’re not terribly difficult to complete, and you should be able to complete it by just playing normally in a zone. (I have heard that getting kill varieties is quite difficult in Orr, due to the over-abundance of Risen, so maybe ANet needs to look at that.)

in Suggestions

Draco.2806

Yeah, it’s not a terribly big deal, but it’s still kind of… boring, really. If you can make it much better, what’s the reason not to?

Exploring the world and quests is simply better than hunting arbitrary mobs or nodes – it’s a much more fun task. The downside is that it IS a separate task, you can’t get it by doing whatever, that’s right… At least in theory.

In practice, daily achievements rarely work out so well anyway, especially when you’re only playing for an hour or two a day.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Zaishen and Shining Blade bounties.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Just add in more things to do, don’t take away ones that we have. I enjoy having the daily achievement. I typically complete it as a by-product of doing other things.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

daily achievement is fine. dun remove it.

additional new daily quests is nice. but dun remove daily achievement.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chedder.6302

chedder.6302

I like the idea in a slightly different way. Daily Puzzles (not just running around jumping and getting kitten at gravity) but kind of like solving your way through a Zelda temple. Moving blocks, mazes things of that nature.

President of Believegate