Is it really hard to add dueling?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

it’s actually super easy to program. it doesn’t take a day, maybe a few hours max. Anet is just lazy. Also there is no reason to up-scale people in a duel. It’s fun to win as lvl 20 vs lvl 21. You can’t even spec someones armor, how lazy can you be as a company, lol.

Perhaps you should write your own MMO if it’s that easy.

Everyone is a super star and Game programmer in Online Video games. Just like everyone is a pro Athlete when watching Sports, " come on how hard is it to move to your left and see the WR left side clearly open? I will tell you what this game would go a lot smoother if I was in there." LOL it happens to be a fault of many people, I just smile and nod.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

it’s actually super easy to program. it doesn’t take a day, maybe a few hours max. Anet is just lazy. Also there is no reason to up-scale people in a duel. It’s fun to win as lvl 20 vs lvl 21. You can’t even spec someones armor, how lazy can you be as a company, lol.

Perhaps you should write your own MMO if it’s that easy.

However , back on topic.
I found duelling in other games an annoyance in populated areas. If they do implement it in GW2 there ought to be designated areas (ie Arenas and quieter corners of the maps). Any players duelling in towns and settlements ought to run the risk of some NPC guards spawning to cart them off to the dungeons. There they would either pay a fine (level based) or get a 20minute lockdown in the cells.

The guards reacting would be freaking awesome, but again, would require even more programming… Also, 20 minute downtime for players is somewhat unreasonable XD

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I found duelling in other games an annoyance in populated areas. If they do implement it in GW2 there ought to be designated areas (ie Arenas and quieter corners of the maps). Any players duelling in towns and settlements ought to run the risk of some NPC guards spawning to cart them off to the dungeons. There they would either pay a fine (level based) or get a 20minute lockdown in the cells.

Just out of curiosity, does Anet have a Jail system for bad ppl? Like a liongaurd lockdown in a cell that you can’t teleport out or anything and a GM stops by to see if you learned your leason yet? I have come across many map chats (especially in Queensdale) with bad kittens who probably woulda enjoyed such a place ^^

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Latorn.4209

Just out of curiosity, does Anet have a Jail system for bad ppl?

Nope, they have a ban system >.> XD

in Suggestions

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

+1 for dueling, please. Do want.

in Suggestions

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

People who say they don’t want duels added because they are “annoying” are annoying themselves…all that needs to be done to appease both sides is add an option to automatically ignore duels and everything will be fine.

Saying that dueling should be confined to specific areas is also annoying because why does it need to confined? The pve world is absolutely beautiful why wouldn’t i want to duel on top of a krait tower or down in the sea somewhere?
the only place where dueling shouldn’t be an option is in dungeons it’s hard enough to find groups of people to go into one much less stay in if things aren’t going their way

The entire point of an MMO is to be able to interact with other players i would never play spend money on a MMO otherwise, it’s not like it’s super fun fast paced action with helicopters and extremely complex sword fighting or some kitten…I’m pressing buttons and my character is doing the same animation every time…this would not be fun if it wasn’t for the facts that my character is my own extremely customizable character and there are other people in the world that i can interact with that have they’re own extremely customizable characters…the idea that you’re in this large world with other people that you can interact with is the only reason i would chose a game where i would have to deal with lagging, disconnects, graphics that aren’t as good as single player games, less interactive combat that single player games…THE MAIN DRAW OF AN MMO IS INTERACTION…dueling is one of the top reasons i choose to play an MMO..my character that i worked hard on vs. your character that you worked hard on

I understand and acknowledge the fact that there will be that small minority of completely dickish players who chose to try to duel you instead of help on an event thats happening at the time but theres no way that it would be a significant enough amount to affect the game in any big way since there is incentive to finish events and actually help other players because of dailies, loot, and xp

If a disable duel request option doesn’t work for you then you’re just a dick tbh

in Suggestions

Posted by: BetraydMicrobe.3892

BetraydMicrobe.3892

adding dueling would be great, i fully support this!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

Dueling is something people like to do. Not Dueling can always be an option for the ladder.

Dueling should be in the game.

Some people don’t like PvP, and those people are not forced to PvP.

I understand that having 2 Warriors in full clad bright pink armor dukeing it out in front of the Trading Post can ruin the veil of a persistent world. But most could argue that Dueling could also contribute to a unique living world. Where drunken brawls happen all the time, assassins stalk the unwary and Guardians attempt to vanquish demon possessed Necromancers. My point is, Dueling. It should be in the game.

If players fear the “Accept Duel” windows cluttering up their screen then they could check a Automatic Duel Decline box in the game settings.

If players dread seeing the mass chaos of multiple duels taking place in the center of a town. Then there can be areas within towns that are off limits to duels. A feature that exists in many MMORPG’s.

If non-competitive players fear that having competitive players in the PVE world will lead to trolling. Then all I can say is there will always be trolling. It is human nature and implementing a duel function will not be a deciding factor. That is why games implement Block Lists and Report Player options and its everyone’s job to use those to manage this behavior. Or just cease to care what people say.

Next, joining uninhabited SPVP realms with another player is not a acceptable dueling substitute. For multiple reason but more specifically:
*its inconvenient for players who wish to casually engage one another in a quick sparring match. From the PVE world that is 4 loading screens both ways for both players to use. Then both players need to run to a location on the map before they can start.
*There is a time limit on SPVP maps that will cause the game to end and reset after 15 minutes regardless if no points are captured. That is assuming you chose a realm that hasn’t been occupied and the timer hasn’t already begun counting down or points already captured.
*SPVP games are never secure so they are completely open to the public. Most games remain empty for a maximum of 8 minutes give or take before at least one other player joins, usually from the hot join where they simply get thrust into any game with players that match their PVP rank. When this happens an auto balance may occure that shifts the teams, which for some reason will swap you out or your dueling partner to the opposing team. And since its going to be 2v1 at any point, you cannot swap teams and this can and will happen during a duel. So 9 times out of 10 this mean you must leave the mists and find another empty realm. Starting the process all over again.
*When other people join they don’t have to comply to any rules. If 2 people join and balance out your game and they are willing to watch/duel then having a 2v2 duel can be a great way to test out Proffesion combos. But that’s rarely the case. Players know they get less Ranking Points if they don’t capture points/win so they often just hop in, kill you mid duel and cap a point.
*When in SPVP you are forced into a large party, this means buffs that certain classes exude are applied to all nearby party members. This can make for a very unbalance playing field when you have a few guardians and Elementals dueling next door while your trying to duel your friend.

Dueling should be in Guild Wars 2.

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

in Suggestions

Posted by: Meryt.9823

Meryt.9823

The guards reacting would be freaking awesome, but again, would require even more programming… Also, 20 minute downtime for players is somewhat unreasonable XD

Too many duels causing lag in populated areas would be inconsiderate and unreasonable too.
Tell it to the judge! ..fine = Gold sink.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

in Suggestions

Latorn.4209

Jayb.1329 and Wolf.5816, I couldn’t have said it better myself, I think you covered pretty much all the bases ^^

Also, like you mentioned Jayb.1329, a point to support it being in the PvE world is the sheer amount of map variability. Anet built this giant world and no one is going back to the lower level zones anyways, so why can’t we enjoy the scenery and terrain by dueling there?^^

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sabertooth.2374

Sabertooth.2374

sounds like a good idea

only problem is that you will get those people who will keep asking you to duel, and will not leave you alone until you do

in Suggestions

Latorn.4209

sounds like a good idea

only problem is that you will get those people who will keep asking you to duel, and will not leave you alone until you do

Sorry, but this has been addressed several times throughout the thread with the idea of having an option to disable duel requests.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amaterasu.8639

Amaterasu.8639

Please add Dueling!!!!!!!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Qnopsik El Qox.1269

Qnopsik El Qox.1269

THE MAIN DRAW OF AN MMO IS INTERACTION…dueling is one of the top reasons i choose to play an MMO..my character that i worked hard on vs. your character that you worked hard on

IF dueling is the main reason for buying MMO for you, than you could KITTENing buy a game with OpenWorldDueling

GW2 was build about Social Cooperation and it was a main reason for buying it by many people.
Will you give those people their money back?
They chosen the game with the current design.
You had full knowledge about the GW2 design, if you wanted to duel, you could buy a game that allows you to Duel. You preferred gw2 instead “the game with dueling” so it was your choice.

GW2 Devs are working on personal arenas, to give you dueling, or something similar to it.

Don’t destroy the game for others, by changing the game for others.

Rozalinda El Qox 80lvl Elem
Tiny Siege Turtles member
Blacktide player

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sabertooth.2374

Sabertooth.2374

sounds like a good idea

Sorry, but this has been addressed several times throughout the thread with the idea of having an option to disable duel requests.

you could get people constanly whispering you then

in Suggestions

Latorn.4209

sounds like a good idea

you could get people constanly whispering you then

I don’t think people are going to go through the trouble of whispering someone in an attempt to manipulate them into a duel XD

More likely they’ll probably find someone else who is actually willing to duel, no?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ghostface Killah.3658

Ghostface Killah.3658

Dueling is amazing fun in MMORPG’s, whether you are defending yourself from a rude player through combat or challenging a friend to see who is tougher, duels are awesome. I dont see the harm in any way by putting an option to ask people to duel into the game, please consider putting the ability to duel other players into the game A-Net!

(edited by Moderator)

in Suggestions

Posted by: savlow.5782

savlow.5782

Even though we have WvWvW and pvp we don’t have Dueling!

Why don’t we have dueling it would be so much fun to just duel your friends in stead of going in WvW and trying to find you friend to have your own little fight with out you both getting kill by randoms.

This game really need Dueling. What do you guys think?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Genewen.2415

Genewen.2415

I think that you should’ve looked at one of the many threads there are about this topic and contribute there instead of spamming the forum with even more topics about this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I think that you should’ve looked at one of the many threads there are about this topic and contribute there instead of spamming the forum with even more topics about this.

This.

Plus, get ready for a lot of people dismissing this suggestion for no good reason.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jackums.3496

Jackums.3496

Dueling was the one feature I was disappointed the game didn’t have.

in Suggestions

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Would it be nice. Yes

But theres others content they need to work on first

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They’ve already said it’s going to be in eventually, but it isn’t a priority for the PvP design team until the remainder of SPvP/WvW is implemented and fully functioning.

in Suggestions

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

They’ve already said it’s going to be in eventually, but it isn’t a priority for the PvP design team until the remainder of SPvP/WvW is implemented and fully functioning.

I just hope when they do it, that we have an option to turn on “accept Dueling Requests”. Really do not want to be spammed with Dueling requests. Plus I hope they do not allow it in the cities, unless there is a specific spot in the city it is allowed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I agree, dueling would a super fun addition to the game. I would love to be able to take on some of my friends in 1vs1. Make an arena in Lions Arch where you go post your name up which then allows you to challenge and receive challenges from other players.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Suggestions

Latorn.4209

Probably one of the most- if not the most -suggested features. I can only hope Anet is listening.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I just hope when they do it, that we have an option to turn on “accept Dueling Requests”. Really do not want to be spammed with Dueling requests. Plus I hope they do not allow it in the cities, unless there is a specific spot in the city it is allowed.

This.

I don’t do sPvP. In any form. I’m okay with WvW on occasion because it is anonymous. I refuse to ever duel in PvE. Not going to happen. Ever. I’d prefer not to be annoyed with people spamming me for duels.

in Suggestions

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

The thing is, its a feature that would be very quick to implement and make many players happy. A single holiday activity, lets say the snowy pvp fight on wintersdday, probably took a LOT more time to design, code and test than it would have took creating a feature to allowing 2 people to fight anywhere in the world. All the assets are already there, no need to design maps or create new skills…

So the “they need to focus on other things first” excuse is groundless considering just how simple the solution is. A competent coder can do it in an hour.

(edited by aaron.7850)

in Suggestions

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

arena where we can view live combat 3vs3 arena with spectator seats

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

Yes, this. I played another game that actually had NO way to auto decline duels. It was a huge hassle, as those who love it would just hit up everyone with duel challenges, somthing I have no interest in at all.

So, I am fine so long as I can turn off this feature. I don’t wanna be harrassed by this stuff like I was before, it was a huge annoyance.

This would really be a huge turn off for me if they don’t give us the option to auto decline.

in Suggestions

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

see grumpy cat. NO. reasoning being, the moment we have duels, we’ll have people whining to have the game balanced into 1v1. again, no.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Duskmelt.9834

Duskmelt.9834

I would really like this also. Custom/private PvP rooms for team/guilds to compete in is a must in this game!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

What do you guys think?

I think you need to learn to search and post in any of the other billion threads on this talked to death thread.

AR

in Suggestions

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

Dueling becomes a way for rude players to grief and damage immersion of uninterested players, and also a way to disrupt what’s going on, especially if it is allowed in populated places.

I do not think dueling is in the best social interest of the game.

If it is included, I would like it limited to the sPvP lobby or some other place where I do not have to see it occur.

in Suggestions

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

If this type of gameplay is added to GW2, do one thing to ensure you do NOT attrit players:

1) Dueling MUST occur in a dueling-only zone. This keeps the chat contained and the actual combat out of everyone else’s area (even if you implement no dueling in cities). The reasons for this are obvious.

2) Do NOT allow every Joe Blow to spam duel invites to other players who get annoyed by this type of behavior. Players must enter the duel-zone in order to invite.

or

(less desired option):

3) Have a user option that permanently auto-declines duel invites (in a way that the user never sees.)

I have no problem with how some games allowed duels. (My guildmates and I had a lot of fun in DAoC outside city walls). I am an old FPS player, I understand the draw, and the desire to test skills/builds even though ANet has provided other avenues to do so.

EQ2 had the option to auto-decline.
WoW duels outside the city walls, in the lower zones (newbie areas specifically) adjacent to the city became cesspools of inappropriate juvenille locker room taunts and whines as well as non-interested players being harrassed/spammed by those players that wanted to wave their e-kitten (e.g. gear not skill).

Note: this post does not endorse adding dueling to the game. Merely pointing out some obvious problems to avoid if implemented.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

There is already PvP and WvW modes.. why would we need dueling? Just so we can litter the PVE zones with people fighting each other?

No thanks.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i whant dueliung so so so MUCH

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfgang Michael.8217

Wolfgang Michael.8217

Give it time guys. It has been proven that ANet needs time to develop the systems. Don’t get your hopes too high.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pietoro.2014

Pietoro.2014

People duel in WvW all the time.

Maybe you guys could make a Fight Club guild and find some corner of a WvW map to do your thing.

+Gaura Havocshot – Engineer
+Felzza – Elementalist
+Roienna – Guardian

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfgang Michael.8217

Wolfgang Michael.8217

There is already PvP and WvW modes.. why would we need dueling? Just so we can litter the PVE zones with people fighting each other?

No thanks.

Google the definition of Dueling and come back to us please.

‘A contest with deadly weapons arranged between two people in order to settle a point of honor.’

in Suggestions

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

This should be posted in the pvp section

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Classic dueling when tarts running around city and spam duel window.. Not. But some competetive 1v1 arena yes please.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Suggestions

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

No thanks.

‘A contest with deadly weapons arranged between two people in order to settle a point of honor.’

agreed

in Suggestions

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

Please no. Duelspam is bad.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

in Suggestions

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Dueling becomes a way for rude players to grief and damage immersion of uninterested players, and also a way to disrupt what’s going on, especially if it is allowed in populated places.

I do not think dueling is in the best social interest of the game.

If it is included, I would like it limited to the sPvP lobby or some other place where I do not have to see it occur.

How can people agree with this?! how can you not like dueling???
“a way to grief” how exactly can this happen? I am sure that Anet are not stupid enough to no add a feature that auto-blocks duel interactions.

People like you are the kind that cry over everything that’s “unfair” “he’s griefing me QQ”

Grow some balls or know that there something called block in this game.

Dueling IS fun and it’s a good way to make friends with random people, and can also strengthen your relationship with your guild/guildies.

You might want to consider an edit or two to your post if you would like to keep this thread open.

People have different values.

And different gameplay.

It’s ok to express your preference.

Personal attack will not further your “cause”, at best, it confirms the concerns posted here, and at worst, could shut the thread.

This should be posted in the pvp section

Thread belongs in the Suggestion Forum.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rift.4179

Rift.4179

I know people who quit because the PvP mode currently in place doesn’t resemble the gear your character has in PvE and really just puts everyone on the same playing field. I say +1 to dueling could make the game more fun but it does have to be restricted in someway to not over extend spam and griefing to those who don’t wish to participate. I like the idea of a check box you permanently have on deny invitations should they appear if the player doesnt wish to participate.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

People duel in WvW all the time.

Maybe you guys could make a Fight Club guild and find some corner of a WvW map to do your thing.

Only if you like the rest of us busting up your little fight clubs. WvW is not about dueling, unless you want to stage an epic, mano-a-mano duel between commanders in the middle of a field before a massive zerg fight. I’d be down with that.

On the note of dueling, yes, please add it to the game. Also add the option to auto-decline duel invitations for those who prefer not to be disturbed. Easy enough.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

While you may need Google to help you define basic words, not all of us share your disability.

And if you want to know what disability you suffer from, feel free to google ‘Condescending’ and ‘Idiot.’

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

(edited by Darth Llama.9217)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

No to open world dueling. Yes to giving it a lobby like Mists.

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

There are lots of threads about it, no need for another one.

/thread