Italian language

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: simo.5480

simo.5480

Q:

Salve,
sono un giocatore italiano, scusate per il mio inglese.
Come tanti giocatori italiani vorrei che in Guild Wars 2 ci fosse anche la lingua italiana, come era stato già per Guild Wars.
Credo che questo gioco sia veramente bellissimo, però vorrei potermi godere a pieno questo gioco, tanti come me non conoscono bene l’inglese o altre lingue e quindi se ci fossero anche solo i testi in italiano potremmo capire meglio e anche imparare meglio tante cose.
Credo che avere la possibilità di giocarci in italiano sarebbe anche un modo di aumentare le registrazioni dato che ci sono tanti italiani che non ci giocano perchè non conoscono l’inglese e quindi non capirebbero molto.
Il mio suggerimento è quello di aggiungere l’italiano anche solo con i testi senza server appositi o traduzioni audio.
Penso che molti come me lo vorrebbero anzi chiedo a quelli che la pensano come me di dare un commento anche loro.
C’è anche una petizione per la traduzione in italiano, stanno cercando di arrivare a 5000 firme di persone che vorrebbero il gioco in italiano e c’è anche un grande gruppo di persone che invece stanno provando loro stessi a tradurre il gioco.
Penso che questo interesse dovrebbe darvi la spinta per aggiungere l’italiano.
Grazie e spero che ascoltate il mio suggerimento.

(edited by Moderator)

Italian language

in Suggestions

simo.5480

A:

Hi,
are an Italian player, sorry for my English.
How many Italian players would like that in Guild Wars 2 there was also the Italian language, as had been already for Guild Wars.
I think this game is really beautiful, but I wish I could fully enjoy this game, many people like me are not familiar with English or other languages, and then if there were even the lyrics in Italian we could understand better and also learn many things.
I think having the opportunity to play in Italian would also be a way to increase the recordings as there are many Italians who do not play because they do not speak English and therefore do not understand much.
My suggestion is to add the Italian even with the texts without special server or audio translations.
I think many like me who would rather ask those who think like me to make a comment, too.
There is also a petition for the Italian translation, are trying to reach 5000 signatures of people who would like to play in Italian and there is also a large group of people instead are trying to translate the game themselves.
I think that this interest should give you the urge to add Italian.
Thank you and I hope you take my suggestion.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cassiel.9431

Cassiel.9431

Nice job Simo, there would be nice to see ITA language, maybe we will have an answer

Death Scar-Mesmer, Light Scar-Ranger,Dark Scar-Ele ,Cassiel-Guard, Shadow Sçar-Thief
Guild : Drago Rosso – Server : Piken Square

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: fra.5241

fra.5241

I dream Guild Wars 2 ITA language and I’ll never cease to dream!

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: winzwar.8173

winzwar.8173

Yes please translate it!!!

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Why?

You’d get crushed in WvW.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Obi Five Kenobah.8537

Obi Five Kenobah.8537

Hello everybody!
My name is Dario and I’m one of the coordinators of the project “Dante’s Aides”.
Our intent is to translate Guild Wars 2 in Italian. Our intentions are no profit, we don’t want to earn anything more than GW2 have Italian subtitles.
At the beginning of the beta, the other coordinator has extracted texts form gw2.dat. (we asked if we could do to NCSoft and they said yes)
During the beta, we have translate ~85000 text strings (we have ~370 volunteer translators).
Unfortunately, the project is failing mainly for fear that our work is useless (we tried to contact you by email several times without response)

Obi Five Kenobah [Forgotten Hopes] Human Elementalist on Ring of Fire

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lara Kroft Rus.3954

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

And for one and Russian!

Italian language

in Suggestions

simo.5480

Hello everyone thank you for your interest also.
Hello Dario are aware of your group to translate the game, in fact I always hoped that previously unable to do so, but unfortunately, as you said, people then think that maybe all the work is useless and then give up.
I hope that our request will then be heard because it is not just for us who want to enjoy the full game, but the end is also an advantage for them that may have more Italians who buy the game.
Many do not know English maybe buy it, play with it a bit but then they do not understand it and can not play there anymore.
This should not happen, however, because it is a beautiful game, and if you understand it fully, then the players then we continue to play as much.

Sorry for writing in Italian, but I was wrong to paste the text, I had to paste the tradotto.Scusatemi not say it again.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: CrazybikE.1524

CrazybikE.1524

I’m an Italian player and i say: please don’t listen to these guys, go on with gameplay improvements! English is good.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elendik.4581

Elendik.4581

I’m an Italian player and i say: please don’t listen to these guys, go on with gameplay improvements! English is good.

this.

Italian language

in Suggestions

simo.5480

Hello CrazybikE.1524,
I like you are an Italian player and I think GW2 is really a great game, but since not all Italians are familiar with English or another language as you think it is right that these people are given the opportunity to better understand the gioco.Purtroppo not all know a second language and it is not right that those who can should not give the opportunity to others to be able to better understand this beautiful game.
I am a person who does not know other languages ??but only a little English, and I want me and the cable can understand something but there are many things that I could understand much better if it was in Italian.
Every time without having to search the internet to better understand whether or not the guild ask friends for strength.
However, everyone has their own point of view, it is normal that you know English you do not care to have him in Italian.
But as has been Guuild Wars should also be Guild Wars 2.
In the end it’s just more help for those people who want to enjoy the game fully.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: JackWest.8974

JackWest.8974

Google translate is really awful, isn’t it?

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: sheng.2890

sheng.2890

Im italian and i agree… There a lot of my friend won’t play because leanguage is only 4 eng/fr/de why no it? Why?

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: MegaManXZA.8562

MegaManXZA.8562

I’m Italian and I love this game! but if it became in my native language I would love more!

Italian language

in Suggestions

simo.5480

is what I say, too, I really like this game but if it was in Italian it would be even better.
sheng.2890 as you say there are many people who do not play because they do not know other languages, there are those who adjust and try to understand as much as possible but other people do not.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

I’m not Italian, I’m Russian. But I have the same problem in the game that you have. I do not know how Google translates in Italian, but it translates into Russian so that that they wanted jobs in a heart, it is often just not possible.
In Russia, the problem with a second language is much sharper than you have in Italy. If the game is not translated into Russian, it did not sell – not buy.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Is english that hard to learn? English is the most commonly used language for a reason: it’s easy to learn (plus is a beautiful language). I know quite a lot of ppl who learnt english by playing online games. You guys can do the same.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

so player of 8 years old have to study english when their mum are still pregnant?
there is already a translation in spanish, french and german, why asking for an italian/russian translation upset you so much?
besides there are people that are doing it for free… is it really that bad idea? they should be paid!!

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

so player of 8 years old have to study english when their mum are still pregnant?

o.O what? Aside of the absurdity of that sentence, do 8yo kids really play this game? What are they playing? Backstab thieves lol?

Anyway if some guys are willing to translate the whole game in italian then cool, but don’t expect anet to do the same.

Italian language

in Suggestions

simo.5480

Ok English is easy, it is the most spoken language, it is easy to learn.
Ok it’s true, but it must be said that not all have as much time to play, let alone if they even get to study and learn a language for how easy it is.
I personally work and I have little time to devote to the game, in fact I’m trying to understand as much as possible, but if I lose time to learn a language then I ever do not buy the game.
But since this game I like it too and I also waited so long, I do not want to waste any more time (which I have) to learn English.
Unfortunately, what little I have learned is not enough to understand everything, so that even to write now use google translate.
Not all have so much time to devote to the game, and I think these people should have the opportunity to better understand, as has been translated into Spanish, French and German, why not Italian?
I do not think that there are few Italians who play so why not do it?

Italian language

in Suggestions

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

Is english that hard to learn? English is the most commonly used language for a reason: it’s easy to learn (plus is a beautiful language). I know quite a lot of ppl who learnt english by playing online games. You guys can do the same.

A Russian and Italian is a hundred times more beautiful!!

Learn Russian and you’re not going to praise so English!
The world famous opera in Italian, and in Russia famous poets more than you!

(edited by Lara Kroft Rus.3954)

Italian language

in Suggestions

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

Not all have so much time to devote to the game, and I think these people should have the opportunity to better understand, as has been translated into Spanish, French and German, why not Italian?
I do not think that there are few Italians who play so why not do it?

In Russian

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alcarin.9024

Alcarin.9024

Guys, I want to remember you that this is a game. If you like to studying other languages during game session, or you want to play not in your native language, you are free to do it, but this doesn’t mean that other people must do the same.
Yes English it’s an easy language, but do you know how many different words are used in this game? Do you know that not understanding some words can let you don’t understand a complete sentence or conversation?

Playing a game should be relaxing, not frustrating because you don’t understand what you have to do or what’s happening.
I like to investigate on the history of places inside the game, especially because I’m a GW1 player, but often I have to give up, because It’s frustrating translating wall of text from NPCs.
This is my small experience, but It’s true that there are a lot of people that have bigger problem than mine. I know people that bought the game and don’t play it because they don’t understand the tutorial, skill descriptions, etc…

Last summer, I’ve spent a lot of my free time working on a possible way to manually translate the game. Thanks to the work of other fans, I’ve extracted a lot of texts from gw2.dat file and stored it in an ad-hoc made website, to let Dario (Obi Five Kenobah) and other fans/volunteers translate the game. As already said by Dario, before GW2 launch, in about 2 months we translated about 50% of the extracted texts. Translations were not perfect (although the website embed revision, evaluation and comment features for each text string, it’s needed more time to clean all translations), but our work is stuck because it’s hard to implement translated strings in game and we didn’t receive any help/approval/answer by ArenaNet (we send them 4 or 5 emails).

The worst thing in this story, is that a lot of people have spent their free time to try to translate a sequel of a game that was translated!
I enjoyed GW1 partially because it was in Italian, I can’t enjoy GW2 as much as GW1 because it isn’t in Italian!
I can understand that a full localization is an expenditure of time and money, but how much can cost a text localization?
In one of emails that we sent to ArenaNet, we also proposed to them to create a “fanmade” Italian localization for free, they give us text and we give them translated, it’s not a professional-error-free translation but it something that can greatly help a lot of people. We didn’t want or pretend to translate texts that can spoil story about live events, it is acceptable to not have this event translated if we have dynamic events/UI/personal story/dungeon translated.
We didn’t receive any answer.

It’s very frustrating to not receive an answer when you spent a lot of your free time to help other players, especially when your work can let GW2 sells more…

P.S. I spoke about Italian because it’s my native language, but my arguments can apply to the other “disappeared” languages.

Italian language

in Suggestions

simo.5480

As I wrote too Alcarin think like me.
I had already seen your site before you buy the game, in fact I always hoped that previously unable to translate it all, but I also saw that they reached a certain point the days passed but no translation.
I understand why, definitely use the free time to many people to help others and see that many this time then it might just be lost in the end you say it.
As you said you sent emails and requests to ArenaNet but nothing not even an answer, help.
I really like this game but as we said we are not all good, not all know another language and above all do not have all the time to lose to learn one, indeed not quite right.
What bothers is that I do not understand why GW has been translated into Italian and everything in GW2 instead not only testo.Perchè?
This game has been very successful and I think it may have even more (at least in Italy) translating it into Italian.
Many people do not buy the game just for the language!
I play to relax after work, to have a fun and meanwhile sit quiet without stressarmi, but the fact remains that the game is in English, and I do not understand many things, they are constantly forced to try to understand and wasting time to go forward.
Help us give us at least one answer.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

I fully agree with Alcarin 0,9024, so as I have such a problem Ms in the game.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

Yes, English is simple, but the author (Fjandi.2516) forgot one thing that other languages, may be arranged life more difficult than English. That they are not so easy to translate from English.

Russian is one of the most difficult languages, in the world. To make an accurate translation in Russian must be a professional expert linguist. ArenaNET offers do players who do not have professional training!

Believe me, even Google, translates from English into Russian so that sometimes I do not understand the translation.
One English word that can be translated in several ways Russian words. Ie you need to know which of the Russian words you must choose. Depends on it, you get the correct order or receive an offer, which will have a different meaning.

(edited by Lara Kroft Rus.3954)

Italian language

in Suggestions

simo.5480

Nothing no answer ….
let us know at least something.
We have given our suggestion the contrary, a lot of people on other sites are trying to make themselves heard for guild wars 2 in Italian, but no one ever had your response in this regard so we are even more discouraged and now I personally think not you translate because if you do tell us something we can at least have this opportunity?

Italian language

in Suggestions

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

And you cann’t imagine how ArenaNET, lost customers, not making the Russian localization! This is their commercial failure!

Italian language

in Suggestions

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

http://masterrussian.com/beginninglessons/why_learn_russian_2.htm
Russian language is the most widely spoken among Slavic languages. You should certainly learn it – there are about 300 million total speakers of Russian in the world.
Russian became one of the languages of world communication – a global language – as early as in the twentieth century. Today, there are less than ten global languages in the world. This means that the Russian language – just like English, French or German – is used for communication by a very large number of people around the globe. In addition, Russian is one of the official UN languages. Out of approximately 300 million people in the world who know Russian, 160 million people consider it to be their native language. The Russian language is ranked the fifth most prevalent language in the world.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Lara Kroft Rus.3954

http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/langdiff/russian.htm

The differences between English and Russian

Introduction: Russian is part of the Slavonic branch of the Indo-European language family. It is closely related to other Slav languages such as Polish, Czech and Serbo-Croatian. Russian is spoken as a mother tongue by about 150 million people in Russia and the former republics of the USSR.

English and Russian are very different in many important aspects. In particular the grammar systems show significant variations. English has a fairly fixed word order. Meaning is expressed through the addition of words (for example auxiliaries) and movement of words within limited boundaries. Russian, on the other hand, conveys meaning largely through changes in the composition of words (e.g., by inflections or the addition of prefixes and suffixes). Its word order is very fluid. Because of these differences Russians often find learning English a serious challenge.

Alphabet: Russian is written using the Cyrillic alphabet, some of whose letters are similar to letters in the Latin alphabet used by English. Russian learners of English may experience initial problems writing in English. These problems should decline as, following the fall of the Iron Curtain, Russians become more exposed to English in their everyday lives.

Phonology: Due to differences in the phonological systems, it is relatively difficult for Russians to acquire native-speaker-like standards of pronunciation and intonation. Russian consists of 5 vowel sounds, with no differentation between short and long vowels. This contrasts with English which has 12 vowel sounds (5 long, 7 short), plus 8 diphthongs. Possibly the most significant vowel difficulty for Russians is the sound in her / cur. This sound seems to cause especial difficulties in words beginning with /w/, such as were / work / worth. Other vowel problems include the failure to discriminate between the sounds in sat / set or sit / seat.

Russian has a similar number of consonants to English, but their sounds do not fully overlap. The /?/ and /ð/ sounds do not exist in Russian, so words such as thin, then and clothes are predictably difficult. As with many other learners of English, the /w/ and /v/ sounds are troublesome, west being pronounced vest, for example, or vice versa. The ng sound at the end of words like sing or thinking is difficult for Russian learners to produce accurately. Such words often end up as sin or thinkin.

Russian has variable stress patterns, as English. However Russian learners may give undue prominence to words that English native speakers would swallow; for example as and has in the following sentences: He’s as strong as an ox / She has 3 brothers. Russian learners may ask questions with falling instead of rising intonation, which does not sound polite to English native speakers.

Grammar – Verb/Tense: Russian and English convey meaning through the verb systems in different ways. The Russian system is based in the concept of aspect: actions are either completed or not completed. This is shown by appending affixes to the verb stem. There are few auxiliary verbs. This contrasts with English which has progressive and perfect tense forms, and avoids the need for affixation or inflection by the extensive use of auxiliaries.

These differences result in problems in many areas. For example beginning learners often omit the auxiliary in questions or negatives: How you do that? / I no have it. The present simple is commonly used where the progressive form or perfect is needed: She has a bath now / How long are you in Germany?. In comparison with Russian the modal verb system in English is very complex. Mistakes such as Must you to work on Friday? / I will not can come, etc. are common among beginners. The lack of a copula in Russian leads to errors such as She good teacher.

Grammar – Other: Russian has no articles. This causes significant problems because the whole concept of article use is alien to Russian learners of English, and the English article system itself is extremely complex. All Russian nouns are one of three genders. This results in problems such as: Have you seen my book? I put her on the table.

Miscellaneous: Russian is a largely phonetic language. This means that a word’s pronunciation can be predicted from its spelling and its spelling from its pronunciation. This is certainly not the case in English, and usually causes Russian learners serious difficulty and frustration.

There are aspects of the Russian language which, if directly transferred into English conversation, may sound abrupt or impolite to English native speakers: Would you like to play tennis tomorrow? – No, I wouldn’t or Tell me where is the railway station, please. or Can you play the piano? – Yes, of course.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

The thing is, they cannot just go and do localizations for every single language.

French, Spanish and English are all world languages, of which English and Spanish are some of the most spoken languages in the world. German is the most widely-spoken first language in the European Union.

Putting that aside, there are languages which have much more speakers, but you don’t see them asking for a localization.

Also, you need to take note that there are French, Spanish and German servers on the European servers. They have their own WvW communities. So asking for a localization isn’t as simple as a translation: they would have to make new servers for them as well.

Putting aside all of those issues, I can ask a simple question. Why Italian? What makes Italian special? Italian isn’t exactly a widely spoken language, nor does it have its own alphabet. And let’s just put it out there: arguing about what is being taught as a compulsory foreign language isn’t a valid justification.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bau Bau.7389

Bau Bau.7389

I can ask a simple question. Why Italian? What makes Italian special? Italian isn’t exactly a widely spoken language, nor does it have its own alphabet. And let’s just put it out there: arguing about what is being taught as a compulsory foreign language isn’t a valid justification.

You are right. However, point is that in Italy people usually talk in Italian only… unless you go towards the northern boundaries of the country (everywhere else there is just the sea). Moreover, everything that arrives in Italy (books, TV shows, movies) is automatically translated and dubbed in Italian. People are just not used to deal with other languages. Even if English and French are taught in schools, there is almost no chance to use them in daily life; which means, very few people are fluent in foreign languages.
However, this does not mean people are lazy but only that culturally there is no reason to speak in a language that is not Italian.

Do not take what I wrote above as a critique. My first language is Italian and I lived in Italy for a lot of time. What I wrote is what I saw and experienced while living there. I am not saying it is a good or a bad thing… it is just like that.

By the way, GW1 was translated in Italian and the books about GW2 too. Probably in future it will be available an Italian translation for the game. I just do not think it is at the top of the list.

Meanwhile, to help Italian players (in case some of them may need help) I posted in another thread of this forum an Italian translation for the Ascalonian Catacombs (Story and Exp mode)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Ascalonian-Catacombs-Italian-translation/first#post1641131

and for Twilight Arbor (Story and, at the moment, path “UP” only).

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Twilight-Arbor-Italian-translation/first#post1649048

I hope these translations may help Italian players to get a better sense of what is going on in these areas [I post them here since the official wiki has not an Italian page].

(edited by Bau Bau.7389)

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Why?

He isn’t asking for a server, he is asking for a translation. I do not see how seeing and reading italian text would make you play poorly in WvW.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Olba.5376

Why?

He isn’t asking for a server, he is asking for a translation. I do not see how seeing and reading italian text would make you play poorly in WvW.

Because every single language that is officially supported has their own servers.

And as I already pointed out, ANet choosing French, German and Spanish has specific reasons.

You are right. However, point is that in Italy people usually talk in Italian only… unless you go towards the northern boundaries of the country (everywhere else there is just the sea). Moreover, everything that arrives in Italy (books, TV shows, movies) is automatically translated and dubbed in Italian. People are just not used to deal with other languages. Even if English and French are taught in schools, there is almost no chance to use them in daily life; which means, very few people are fluent in foreign languages.

The same is true for dozens of languages.

Just as an example, I consider the people asking for a Russian translation to be in a better position, simply because Russian has different written alphabet.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Italian language

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Why?

Because every single language that is officially supported has their own servers.

And therefore it is simply impossible to add translations to the game without making a new server in the process?

Why can’t there be simple translations as there were in GW1, Bork Bork Bork never had a server for example.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

Italian language

in Suggestions

Olba.5376

And therefore it is simply impossible to add translations to the game without making a new server in the process?

But think about it for a second. Clearly, by adding servers for specific languages, ANet is acknowledging that there has to be a significant amount of players who use those languages. Otherwise there wouldn’t be a point in making those servers. On that train of thought, any translation has to have a significant amount of players who would use it to justify spending the resources for it.

So, the requirement for a server for a specific language is by definition the same as the requirement for a translation. Thus they both have to occur at the same time.

And with that in mind, you have to ask yourself: how many of the current speakers of the specific language, in this case Italian, would be willing to move to these servers? How many active WvW players would move to that server, just for the language?

Honestly, if you ask me, I think it’s too late. People have already established their guilds, their friendships and whatnot. Asking them now to populate a new server would be unlikely to work well.

Why can’t there be simple translations as there were in GW1, Bork Bork Bork never had a server for example.

Different game, different rules.

(edited by Olba.5376)