Jump Puzzles (Post Suggestions Here)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silent The Gray.3091

Silent The Gray.3091

Hello everyone, after reading through some of the posts on here about jump puzzles I would like to make a neutral post with suggestions on how they (the big A) could improve upon them. I know this will create some bias in my view, but I love them. I love the newness of a fresh jump puzzle and how sweet that feels when you complete it without a guide, or how awesome it is to find the new jump puzzle on your own without checking the dulfy guide. This is the one part of the game that I can bask in all it’s glory because it is so unique.

Here is a brief Index of my suggestions:

Checkpoints

Add Achievement Tiers

Time Trials

Time Trial Rankings

No Enemies/Infantile Mode
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Checkpoints —- This has been brought up a few times in many of the posts about gw2 jump puzzles. This is the number one biggest issue the people who don’t like jump puzzles have with them. All of your progress is lost. You guys NEARLY had it right in Obsidian Sanctum, I’ve always considered it to have a few pseudo checkpoints. Also I loved the length of Obsidian Sanctum, the pure awesomeness it had when you completed it for the first time, the first night of release, staying in there for 4 hours with your guild, that is a memory of this game I will never forget.

The Objective: To have a safe stopping point that you can resort to so you do not have to restart the puzzle each time that you fall beyond a certain point.

My Suggestion: This ties to making the jump puzzles a bit longer, but if you could have a checkpoint on average every 2-3 minutes of mild to moderate jumping, I think people may change their outlook on them entirely and come to love this unique feature of the game.

How Many: I would really love to have three, but two is also a fair number.
Achievement Tiers —- I believe there is a large enough crowd of people in the game that are drawn to these that you could create some more achievements and even a title, that’s right a TITLE

Completing each jump puzzle without checkpoints could yield additional achievement points, 15 instead of 10.

Puzzle Connoisseur – Complete each jump puzzle once 25 Points
Time Trial —- People have suggested a hard mode and here were my thoughts. Each day you can complete the jump puzzle, but you can also complete the time trial version of the jump puzzle which would have a separate reward. Notice how I used the word separate and not “better”. This is because despite my enjoyment for jump puzzles I realize for some people this is not a possibility, and this seems most fair.

Each puzzle may have to be a little different, this will take some testing obviously to find an accurate time, but here is how I would do it if I were allowed to make the call:

In this example we will use Pig Iron Quarry jump puzzle

Gold Reward: 15 Silver – Completed Under 1:30
Silver Reward: 10 Silver – Completed Under 1:45
Bronze Reward: 5 Silver – Completed Under 2:00

As I said each puzzle would have to be different, but this would be another incentive for people to do these puzzle and not just forget about them.
Time Trial Rankings

This takes the cake for me. We have our rankings for world versus world, pvp, achievement point rankings, how about jump puzzles? I’m suggesting we would start having a “who has the fastest time” for each jump puzzle and it be displayed on a guild wars 2 webpage similar to the rankings page for the achievement points. I feel this would really motivate people to spend a lot more time in there for the sake of being first. I know I would at least give it a shot.
No enemies/Infantile Mode

No enemies would make this much easier for everyone because we wouldn’t have to deal with the decreased movement speed. Maybe give people the option to play with enemies or not.

Infantile Mode similar to SAB is another suggestion. This would make it easy for players who just want to explore the puzzle or want to practice it without enemies before doing the real thing.

Please consider these and make any suggestions you feel are worthwhile.

(edited by Silent The Gray.3091)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I like these suggestions; I don’t have anything to add at this point though.
+1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

checkpoints would make it sooooo much better

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

+1
I would add
- checkpoint vistas so we can view what is ahead of us for the next part
- there should be added other type of puzzles not only jumping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

Sounds fun. I like jps but I’m useless at them, and this would help.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Checkpoints make all of the JP’s better. And also, no more enemies that spam immobilize and cripple. That just annoys the heck out of me. And even after killing them you just know they will all have respawned by the time you have to pass them again. And then you have those annoying Aetherblades on the ground, that occasionally shoot lightning from below as you are jumping across those pipes. ARGH!

In fact, no enemies at all in any JP would perhaps be even better. At least until they remove in-combat slow down.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Achievement Tiers —- There is no depth to the jumping puzzle achievements other than if you get it once then you get 10 achievement points. That’s fine and dandy, but I believe there is a large enough crowd of people in the game that are drawn to these that you could create some more achievements and even a title, that’s right a TITLE

Enigmatic Emissary – Complete each jump puzzle once 25 Points
Jump Master – Complete each jump puzzle three times 50 Points
Puzzle Connoisseur – Complete each jump puzzle five times (Title) 70 points

I like the idea of tiers, but instead of completing the entire puzzle so and so many times, why not incorporate something akin to easy and hard mode:

• Completing JP with checkpoints gives you an achievement
  • Completing JP without needing to use checkpoints (in one go) gives you a second achievement
  • Completing JP in a certain timeframe gives you a third achievement

And similarly

• Completing WvW JP in a PvE instance gives you an achievement
  • Completing WvW JP in the PvP instance gives you a separate achievement

(This, by the way, would also give people the opportunity to get to know the different sanctums before exposing themselves to the enemy zerg, which I think is desired by many PvEers.)

Also like the agent of entropy I feel there should be an achievement where you get 10 more achievement points for every 100 jump puzzles that you complete, and it is never ending, because as it’s been suggested some of us greatly enjoy them.

I don’t want to appear greedy, and I know the whole concept of Agent of Entropy is disputed anyway). I’d be up for it if it was implemented, but I think monthly puzzle jumper kind of already covers this.

in Suggestions

Silent The Gray.3091

Thank you for your feedback pixelpumpkin. The achievements could be anything really I was just suggesting getting some sort of a title and make it able to be progressed towards because we have all of these jump puzzles, yet no title to tie to it all. I will add your information to the OP, I have to go to work soon though, so it’ll be later on. Thanks again.

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Cool, thanks, and there’s obviously no rush. Have fun at work!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faustas.5243

Faustas.5243

interesting ideas. Possibly (i don’t know if this defeats the idea of jumping puzzles) mark out where they start with an icon (like the waypoint or “point of interest icon”). One of the hardest thing about jumping puzzles is finding out where they exist.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

Does not change team that is winning.
I think Anet people are very creative. Good luck to them and keep bring more and more jp

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

No enemies/The option to turn them off

No enemies would make this much easier for everyone because we wouldn’t have to deal with the decreased movement speed. Maybe give people the option to play with enemies or not.

Please consider these and make any suggestions you feel are worthwhile.

This is the only one I don’t like. Some Jumping Puzzles are only difficult to complete because of the enemies (like Chaos Crystal Cavern or the Shattered Ice Ruins), otherwise you would just run straight through them in about 90 seconds each.

If its really too hard to kill the enemies in that 1st puzzle I mentioned, then run back to do the puzzle in about 3 minutes before too many enemies respawn, then there is nothing Anet is going to be abe to do with jumping puzzles to make you happy.

In the Second puzzle I mentioned, the Shattered Ice Ruins, you can actually make about half of the jumps even when in combat, and all the enemies are easily within melee range.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’m for everything except the checkpoints and no enemies. You can just include an infantile mode like which was in SAB for those that want it easy.

in Suggestions

Silent The Gray.3091

Does not change team that is winning.
I think Anet people are very creative. Good luck to them and keep bring more and more jp

I think Ayrilana.1396 has a great suggestion, I agree with it more than the no enemies. An Infantile mode would be suitable, I’ve added this to the OP

@Pixel I added a bit of your information to the OP, I can’t make many more changes to it because I’m limited to a certain character amount.