Karma should be account not soulbound

in Suggestions

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

Account wide achievements in Guild Wars 2 are a big improvement over the many character specific achievements in Guild Wars 1. But I think that the game needs to go one step further and make karma account bound too. One of the main reasons this would be good is that then players who like to have alts can use their alts to work for prestige Karma rewards for their main toon. This has the obvious advantage that they will be playing through all the content to achieve this, rather than just farming karma in high level events on their main toon. In addition this keeps every area of the game relevant and populated rather than sucking everyone into the high level areas to earn their rewards.

Also see my OP “Donkeys Carrots and Guild Wars 2” for more on this theme!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

This is more of a gray area, but now that dungeon tokens are account bound as well. I see really no good “against” argument one can conjure up against this. If anything, karma is the ONLY currency in the game now that is soul bound.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

This has been suggested before, i support this +1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

I also support this!

in Suggestions

Posted by: royalme.6208

royalme.6208

As someone who enjoys playing many alts, rather than a single character, this would increase my enjoyment of the game greatly!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Devilsmack.5736

Devilsmack.5736

+1
And dyes too.

Alanna Grisel (M) / Devilsmack (N)
Kildemort (W) / Killer Claws (G)
Deadly God (En) – Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

+1 from me too. Imagine a scenario when you will have a surplus of Karma after getting your exotic armor pieces plus all the ingredients you need to level up your crafting skills. It’s totally useless after that. I hope it justifies my point.

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

in Suggestions

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

+1
Fully in support of this.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

this seems like a weak idea, this does not sound like it would be fun at all so a person who plays an alt to say ten deletes it and does it again which to me seemed like the fastest karma gain would not make things very fun …add that on top of the ease at which you can bot at the low level areas and then you would have an INCREASE in low level botting and a decrease in high level players actually doing high level content…

this should not happen and should not be supported

in Suggestions

Posted by: above mars.4586

above mars.4586

this seems like a weak idea, this does not sound like it would be fun at all so a person who plays an alt to say ten deletes it and does it again which to me seemed like the fastest karma gain would not make things very fun …add that on top of the ease at which you can bot at the low level areas and then you would have an INCREASE in low level botting and a decrease in high level players actually doing high level content…

this should not happen and should not be supported

uhh karma gain from levels 1-10 is not very much. like less than 1k. that is not efficient at all

in Suggestions

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

i was talking about karma per time spent…or effort put forth its alot easier to get small amount of karma very fast then a larger amount for a longer and more difficult time. either way this seems like a cheesy way to gear out alts

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

i was talking about karma per time spent…or effort put forth its alot easier to get small amount of karma very fast then a larger amount for a longer and more difficult time. either way this seems like a cheesy way to gear out alts

What you seem to have forgotten is that you can bring your main character back to the starting area and earn Karma on it in exactly the same way as you could do with an alt. In fact it would be much more efficient since level 80s can kill stuff in Queensdale much quicker than your low level alts would be able to – if you think, by some stretch of the imagination that that is an efficient way to earn karma. And that would be a lot more cheesy.

You obviously don’t want zergs of level 80s rushing around Queensdale trying to farm karma. However, noone is going to do that because as pointed out by Above Mars, it would take you forever to earn enough karma that way. Farmers aren’t necessarily the brightest sparks, but they are smarter than that.

The point of making karma account wide, in case it still escapes you, is so that you can earn things in the game by playing the game naturally for it’s content rather than specifically choosing the most efficient way of farming even though that is boring and can be disruptive to other players doing the content. Alting and being able to use karma across your account is never going to be an “efficient” way of getting rewards in the game (its always going to be more effieicent to use your main character) – but many of us are not trying to be efficient we are trying to have fun playing the game as it has been designed.

I might add to what is becoming a bit of a WOT that giving alts access to your main characters karma is hardly going to be a good way of kitting them out. They already have access to your main characters gold reserves and if you want you can kit your alts out in whatever manner you please using that. You can also buy gold for gems and kit them out that way if that’s what floats your boat – but Guild Wars 2 is isn’t really about gear especially at low levels, where the advantage it gives you is minimal.

(edited by roqoco.4053)

in Suggestions

Posted by: sdluca.4706

sdluca.4706

I quote roqoco in everything

in Suggestions

Posted by: Khaldar.7486

Khaldar.7486

+1 to this idea… I’d +1,000,000 if i could

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

+1
And dyes too.

That would be cool also. I support both these ideas

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

Lets not muddle this up with other completely unrelated issues; that’s a sure way to shoot it in the foot. It’s generally better not to put all your begs in one ask it!

in Suggestions

Posted by: DarkTree.7512

DarkTree.7512

+1 What can I say, I love playing all the professions/races. Reward me for it please

in Suggestions

Posted by: patasde.6087

patasde.6087

+1 for this Karma account wide

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gillysan.1962

Gillysan.1962

+1, this makes almost too much sense.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turgon.8625

Turgon.8625

I would love to see this as well. I don’t want to feel punished for playing the character that only has a small pool of karma and will not be using the karma vendor’s.

The karma vendor gear costs so much at 80 that it really takes dedicated farming with one character discouraging the use of alts. This makes me sad

in Suggestions

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

+1 I support this also.
I would love to gain Karma for my main while playing the alts, or use Karma from my main to get stuff for my alts.

Please do this Anet.

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Yeah I have to agree.

I can give gold to any character.
I can give dungeon tokens to any character.
I can give wvw badges to any character.
Karma is restricted to one character.

—ponder—

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Gold is the account wide currency. Karma is in contrast purely a currency intended to reflect the progress of your character. You really think ANet didn’t think this through?

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

Gold is the account wide currency. Karma is in contrast purely a currency intended to reflect the progress of your character. You really think ANet didn’t think this through?

If you look at the reward system and the kind of behaviour that it motivates, is motivating in the game right now, I think you could say that if they did think it through then one of the assumptions they made was faulty.

Besides Arenanet, sensibly, adopt an iterative approach (somewhat similar to the way evolution works) to development, whereby they make successive incremental improvements and so it isn’t necessary (in fact its not really possible) to think through the consequences of every design decision from the start. That’s what people often fail to appreciate and why feedback on how things are working out can be useful.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

Would be nice if we could get a dev. response here!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cordlessjoe.2415

Cordlessjoe.2415

karmas useless anyway 0_o

in Suggestions

Posted by: GCap.3764

GCap.3764

I don’t think Karma has anything to do with individual progress and it has various uses but none of them affect or unbalance game play. There is no uber strong Karma gear etc. I concur that is should just be one big account Karma “pool”…… It also promotes/benefits leveling alts etc.

I also feel some classes are “better” for certain activities, or perhaps you just like them more? So if you enjoy WvWvW on one toon, and Orr events on another, and maybe dungeons on various toons you can choose where to spend your Karma.

Legendary weapons etc has the same stats as exotics but require Karma etc to craft so why not be able to apply “account” Karma where you see fit?

Like another post said. I can’t see any argument “against” it as far as balance etc and every other in game currency is (thankfully) account bound

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

This makes zero sense. It’s called KARMA. It seems naturally TAILORED to apply all your characters just based on the name. The whole idea of the word is something that carries on from lifetime to lifetime.