Make Race MATTER

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

Know before I start, I’m not racist or Guild Wars 2 racist for all you Charr sitting on Human ruins, anyway.

I feel there needs to be some changes for the race skills mainly, before playing Guild Wars 2 I played alot of 1 – and I thought, wow when I play 2 I cant wait to be a Norn and turn into bear or wolf to aid me. These skills are rubbish! In fact most of the other races skills are worthless! In addition I think each class needs benefits! An asuran warrior would be more squishy than a Norn lets face it! Heres some ideas for both skills and traits.

Charr: Permanent speed boost – they run on 4 LEGS seriously they should be faster.

Norn: Small boost in toughness? Elite racials need to be buffed!!!!

Sylvari: Small perma regen since they are plants?

Asura: These little guys n girl I think should have something like, increased health or faster regen in endurance. For their skills, EVERY asuran who wants a golem should ALWAYS have that golem, like the rangers pet it should always be there until its killed. What stops me playing an asuran is the golem elite

Human: The “dying” race of Tyria, strong, persistent and loyal. not familiar with the race skills but I bet they could do with a boost like the ones involving the gods.

Anyway these are just ideas and I’m sure there is alot of input on the matter, I’m no game designer but I play alot – gamers are the best people to spot good and fun changes usually, speak up!!

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Racial modifiers in this regard have been around for eons and in many cases hurt the race/class ratios because of it .

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Renn.8241

I see your point but that shouldn’t stop the buff to racial skills

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

well that’s a skill balance thing though and will be dealt with if needed

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I i too think that races lack in attribute. It’s sometimes hard to really feel like you are the Charr or you are the Asura etc. They need to add more things to races to really make you feel like you are that specific race.

Like if i am a Charr warrior, Asura warrior, Sylvari warrior, Norn warrior. What make all these different is how you look in the armour and some animations are different. There’s nothing else that makes you feel like a Norn warrior or a Charr warrior etc.
Roleplaying can help you define who you are but then you have to spend hours and hours roleplaying, which not all enjoy doing, a very few do this.

(edited by Zoid.2568)

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I really like renns idea actiually… There ARE in fact differences in between races that look so different – or should be at least. Nothing HUGE but minor like he suggests. Thumbs up for that!

Kima & Co

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Thing is Anet said even from the very begining they didn’t want people restricted in their choice of race/profession, due to something like efficiency. Thats why there is no real difference on races aside from the visuals and lore.

If they made asura warriors just a little more squishy than norn and charr, it would seriously affect those having or wanting an asura warrior, given that a 0.0000000000000001% is enough to make people scream inefficient and never allow it on their teams in dungeons or such.

Sadly even the smallest difference could have a huge effect. Actually already met some that said a norn ranger would be better than a sylvari ranger (or any other ranger) because of racial skills, even if they did admit that racial skills are weaker than profession skills.

So even though I can see the idea in making the races feel more different, I would fear the effect such would have on the community and on the chosen race/profession combinations.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

They really do need to bring racial skills/ elites up to normal skill level though, or at least just below it because warband support is just horrible and I’d love to use it.

Additionally all shape shifts in the game are horrible because you cannot move and attack. It takes out the visceral combat.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

If they made asura warriors just a little more squishy than norn and charr, it would seriously affect those having or wanting an asura warrior, given that a 0.0000000000000001% is enough to make people scream inefficient and never allow it on their teams in dungeons or such.

This ^

A buff to a specific race will either be too small to matter as a buff, or large enough to severely impact the race/class combination ratios.

It is impossible to have a difference between races that gives a benefit to some combinations without discouraging the other combinations.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

Unless they let people freely change their race, no, bad idea. I want to play the race/class combo that appeals to me without getting a stat penalty.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

The way Norn are atm they seem lazy. They have these bigger, stronger, longer legs so what do they do? Use them to run fast because the world is in peril? No, it’s plod, plod, plod meanwhile the humans, sylvari and especially the asura are running their little legs off. Same with the Charr. They should be much faster when on all fours otherwise it’s just a pointless gimmick.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

The way Norn are atm they seem lazy. They have these bigger, stronger, longer legs so what do they do? Use them to run fast because the world is in peril? No, it’s plod, plod, plod meanwhile the humans, sylvari and especially the asura are running their little legs off. Same with the Charr. They should be much faster when on all fours otherwise it’s just a pointless gimmick.

Race is (and was) meant to be just a cosmetic choice. Honestly, I like the way race is currently. Your starting story/which of destiny’s edge is endeared to you and some racial skills which are mostly worthless (not saying I like that part, but eh).

All races have the same hit boxes, running speed, and no effect on stats. If you start adding that into the mix, we may as well be playing dnd and min/maxing ourselves even further (who would want to be an asura warrior, who does less damage and is slower compared to a norn or charr).

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I do love the run speed boost on Charr personally tho as a Charr engineer the toolbelt skills from racials needs a serious damage boost they are terrible!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Asuras have already upper hand. Helpful racials (apart from elites) and the “greatest” racial – size and animations of a rat. As only racial, works in sPvP.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Paul.4081

Race is (and was) meant to be just a cosmetic choice. Honestly, I like the way race is currently. Your starting story/which of destiny’s edge is endeared to you and some racial skills which are mostly worthless (not saying I like that part, but eh).

All races have the same hit boxes, running speed, and no effect on stats. If you start adding that into the mix, we may as well be playing dnd and min/maxing ourselves even further (who would want to be an asura warrior, who does less damage and is slower compared to a norn or charr).

Even if Charr and Norn were made faster only in PVE? Lets face it those races suck at jumping puzzles and camera angles so make them good at something. If anything it might make Charr a more desirable race (aren’t they the least popular atm?)and maybe then ANet would give them more attention.

Obviously natural racial traits would have to be added to all (races) but I myself would have no issues even if only Charr and Norn ran faster. It would make the game feel and seem more natural instead of the fake slowness that they have now. I get that ANet want everyone to start off on a level playing field but come on, just look at the Charr and Norn, level playing field should be out the window right from the start.

We can dream

(edited by Paul.4081)

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Wallace MacBix.2089

Even if Charr and Norn were made faster only in PVE? Lets face it those races suck at jumping puzzles and camera angles so make them good at something. If anything it might make Charr a more desirable race (aren’t they the least popular atm?)and maybe then ANet would give them more attention.

Obviously natural racial traits would have to be added to all (races) but I myself would have no issues even if only Charr and Norn ran faster. It would make the game feel and seem more natural instead of the fake slowness that they have now. I get that ANet want everyone to start off on a level playing field but come on, just look at the Charr and Norn, level playing field should be out the window right from the start.

We can dream

Norn are bad at jps? Really? I’ve done every single jp with my max height norn and I think there is one that has one jump that is a big pain (the 2nd one in the starter sylvari zone, one of the jumps ~2/3-3/4th of the way through). The well one in LA also has some major clipping issues with the camera going into my body, but it doesn’t really make it hard for the 1 jump you need to make.

And even in PvE that running speed would make a difference. I finally got around to trying some dungeons and 75%+ of the mobs are skipped, a running speed boost would just make that easier. Or standard PvE, how many people take a swiftness skill or a signet/trait that lets you run faster, giving a speed boost to a certain race would be a big advantage for world exploration, gathering runs, etc.

Again, this isn’t dnd where certain class/race combos are just bad and only taken if you want to punish yourself to be unique. As soon as you say, “oh these races should be faster and do more physical/melee damage, and those other ones should do more ranged damage, and those over there more magical damage” you take away people’s options for cosmetic/story diversity. It’s bad enough you have “LFM X dungeon, Y class only” do you really want to see “LFM X dungeon, Y/Z class/race only”

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Paul.4081

We can dream

Norn are bad at jps? Really? I’ve done every single jp with my max height norn and I think there is one that has one jump that is a big pain (the 2nd one in the starter sylvari zone, one of the jumps ~2/3-3/4th of the way through). The well one in LA also has some major clipping issues with the camera going into my body, but it doesn’t really make it hard for the 1 jump you need to make.

And even in PvE that running speed would make a difference. I finally got around to trying some dungeons and 75%+ of the mobs are skipped, a running speed boost would just make that easier. Or standard PvE, how many people take a swiftness skill or a signet/trait that lets you run faster, giving a speed boost to a certain race would be a big advantage for world exploration, gathering runs, etc.

Again, this isn’t dnd where certain class/race combos are just bad and only taken if you want to punish yourself to be unique. As soon as you say, “oh these races should be faster and do more physical/melee damage, and those other ones should do more ranged damage, and those over there more magical damage” you take away people’s options for cosmetic/story diversity. It’s bad enough you have “LFM X dungeon, Y class only” do you really want to see “LFM X dungeon, Y/Z class/race only”

So it all comes down to dungeons?

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Wallace MacBix.2089

So it all comes down to dungeons?

And open world PvE, and WvW, and PvP. If you let people min/max something they will.

Just using your running speed increase, like I said that helps for open world exploration/gathering/getting to boss events faster/etc. In WvW it would let you out run enemies, or chase them down. In PvP it’d let you capture points faster/get better positioning.

You offer no reason why having races effect gameplay (something Anet said they would not do since before the game came out) other than, “Norns/Charrs look funny when they run slow.” I’m telling you why it won’t/shouldn’t happen. If X race was the “best” suited for Y class (or role) then it shouldn’t have been an option in the first place.

Should Norns/Charrs have x4 the hit boxes that Asura do? I don’t think so.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I’m not in favor of this idea. A-net was clear in their intentions on this from the beginning and I agree with them. I knew what I was getting into.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

No

/15gobacktoWoW’s

Ps asura already have the advantage in wvw/pvp, by being small and hidden, should be deleted as a race imo, or converted into humans in wvw/pvp.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Paul.4081

Wallace, I think if I quote you now we’ll take the page count up lol.

I’m not asking for faster in WvW or PvP. Just in PvE

I get what your saying I really do but look at it this way. Are cats born the same as dogs?

We all choose different races when we create our toon in GW2, shouldn’t we at least have something special about our choice? Christ lets go extreme, ANet introduce a Werewolf race. The WW race act, run, walk the exact same as any other race. What is the point?

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

No

/15gobacktoWoW’s

Ps asura already have the advantage in wvw/pvp, by being small and hidden, should be deleted as a race imo, or converted into humans in wvw/pvp.

Anyway these are just ideas and I’m sure there is alot of input on the matter, I’m no game designer but I play alot – gamers are the best people to spot good and fun changes usually, speak up!!

You should probably make this your last suggestion ever.

Make Race MATTER

in Suggestions

Renn.8241

They forced restriction on rangers, and that’s huge

Thing is Anet said even from the very begining they didn’t want people restricted in their choice of race/profession, due to something like efficiency. Thats why there is no real difference on races aside from the visuals and lore.

Sadly even the smallest difference could have a huge effect. Actually already met some that said a norn ranger would be better than a sylvari ranger (or any other ranger) because of racial skills, even if they did admit that racial skills are weaker than profession skills.

So even though I can see the idea in making the races feel more different, I would fear the effect such would have on the community and on the chosen race/profession combinations.