New weapon - scythe

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

I think this would be an awesome addition to the weapon choices, specifically for the Necromancer

Usable By: Necromancer
Warrior
Ranger

Scythe Skills:
-Necromancer (minion master)
1. a) Creep -> b) Sweep -> c) Reap
a) Pull yourself toward target foe and immobilize them for x seconds.
b) Swing your scythe, striking target and adjacent foes. (x3 bleed, x damage)
c) Swing your scythe, striking target and adjacent foes gaining life force based on how many targets were struck (xbleed, x damage, x LF)

2. Soul Siphon- Steal health from target foe. If foe dies, create a vampiric horror. generate life force.

3. Dead Field – Create a wall of limbs that block foes from passing. Summon jagged horror when wall ends. (Bleed, vuln affected foes).

4. Grim Awakening – Swing your scythe at target foe(s), creating a mark of summoning* if 2+ foes are hit. Heals minions.

5. Harvest – Destroy your minions, dealing X damage. Summon a random minion for each foe destroyed by damage.

*Mark of Summoning – Summon 3 Jagged horrors when activated.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head for the necro if this weapon were put in game. I’d love to see more ideas for other classes/improvements on mine.

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

I have been watching too much soul Eater. I could see how a scythe could be wielded for combat.

The real question becomes if you add scythe does that mean final rest and scythe would no longer be staves and break a lot of people’s characters that have one of those skins?

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Gnat.9405

That is an issue that I thought of and chose to ignore, honestly. The biggest disappointment is that the addition of these items as staves makes me believe that they obviously have no intention of adding scythes as actual scythes. It’s too bad. Maybe they could offer the ability to transmog scythe and staff skins interchangeably?

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

When it comes to presenting a compelling agruement for something, it’s usually better to anticipate the holes in your ideas and the counter agruements that others could make as to why you idea wouldn’t work. Ignoring it actually weakens your idea.

If you want anet to consider an idea and others to support it

Its not like you would go to your boss and say"i have a great idea keys do X" you boss says we can’t do that because of a b and c. You can’t come back with yeah I thought of that but decided to ignore it. You boss expects you to have a plan beyond this would be cool/nice

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Gnat.9405

I chose to ignore that particular issue because it is not conducive to the discussion in terms of what a scythe weapon could offer. Bringing the issue of already used skins would quickly derail my topic.

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

There were scythes in GW1, right? I’d hazard a guess they’ll be added to this game eventually…

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

There were scythes in GW1, right? I’d hazard a guess they’ll be added to this game eventually…

I hope so. I want to see something different than the AoE traps… I expected much better attacks than those. (not saying they’re bad.. they’re just not.. attractive imo.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Warrior
Ranger

Ow Common!

Only classes suitable for a Scythe would be

1) Necromancer (obvious best choice)
2) Mesmer
3) Elementalist

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Warrior
Ranger

Ow Common!

Only classes suitable for a Scythe would be

1) Necromancer (obvious best choice)
2) Mesmer
3) Elementalist

Please elaborate on why the scythe would be a good choice for ANY of the classes (outside of necro, which, as you state, is obvious).

I don’t see the scythe as an obvious choice for any of the other classes, but I would love to read the excuses* people come up with

(* “Excuses” not meant as a criticism; I did the same in the whip thread (see link in my signature))

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Ranger + Scythe = Farmer? :P

I first thought about mesmer or elementalist using scythe. I also thought about engineer but honestly.. Necromancer is the only one it fits…

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Gnat.9405

I was originally only going to put Necro but its unrealistic to expect that a single profession would get the weapon, so I listed the classes that have the most weapons as placeholders, really. I would just like to see a necro melee build that doesn’t involve daggers.

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

I was originally only going to put Necro but its unrealistic to expect that a single profession would get the weapon, so I listed the classes that have the most weapons as placeholders, really. I would just like to see a necro melee build that doesn’t involve daggers.

Well you have dagger and axe as alternative for melee. For range fight you have.. the staff and… well the staff.. and the staff… did I mention the staff already?

Though staff only does ranged AoE traps. I’d love to see something else too. Actual dark magic not just traps.

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

JubeiTM.5763

Please elaborate on why the scythe would be a good choice for ANY of the classes (outside of necro, which, as you state, is obvious).

I will try. Go ahead and laugh if u wish

Although GW2 is generally a fantasy game I can’t help but separate the classes intro two main categories: Physical and Spiritual oriented.

So the Scythe just as the Trident have mythological meanings. The trident however has been used as an official weapon (I give reference The Roman Gladiators). But the scythe not except many peasant revolts.

The scythe plays an important traditional role, often appearing as weapons in the hands of mythical beings such as Cronus, and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, specifically, Grim Reaper (Death). This stems mainly from the Christian Biblical belief of death as a "harvester of souls. (source: Wiki)

The Necromancer already has a scythe skin for the Staff. He is the death incarnate, the soul reaper and it suits him beast. The elementalist is the game’s sorcerer and the scythe would give him a very dark tone. The Mesmer dosen’t use the weapons in a traditional way (direct hit) but has powerful spells. The scythe could take many ideas initially suggested for the staff.

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tyrannus Blade.3408

Tyrannus Blade.3408

I could see scythes being introduced for the likes of caster classes and perhaps guardian, but I would hope classes like Warriors and Rangers get a more general “pole-arm” class which would incorporate skins and abilities from weapons like the lance, halberd/pollaxe and glaive.

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Guardians are Just heavy plated dervish. We need scythes for the sale of having scythes. :-)

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

JubeiTM.5763

I regret I missed GW1.
This dervish character must have been a very cool class.

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Gnat.9405

He was cool but he didn’t find his place until very late in the meta. Too late, in fact.

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

I feel as if the scythe, as a weapon, would actually fit the Guardian well – something a lot of people seem to have overlooked. Yes, scythes have connotations of death and yes, Guardian lore essentially defines them as the opposite of that however the Guardians primary role is essentially to perform group wide boons/defences. Its what sets it apart from a Warrior.
To me, a scythe is clearly going to involve group damage/conditions/boons. So I don’t feel a Guardian should be overlooked here. Plus the Guardian is probably the closest profession to the GW1 Dervish (the original scythe wielders).
This is just my opinion.
To me, it certainly shouldn’t be added to the Warrior (who already has a very wide array of weapons), the Ranger (who doesn’t exactly need strong melee because it is essentially a ranged character) or the elementalist (I don’t see how a scythe would fit in with any lore for an elementalist and again they already have a wide array of weapons).

I agree that a necromancer should also gain the use of the scythe, though careful balancing will be needed because I’m having images of very OPed mass condition application and damage.
The only other classes I would say should use scythes would be Mesmers/Thieves. This is purely because I think it would be an interesting mechanic to have a mesmer using a scythe & thief + stealth = surprise scythe just sounds too fun to miss out on.

Personally, as my main is a Guard, I would love to be able to use a scythe or indeed gain any weapon expansion because I feel as if the Guard has a very limited set available to it, especially when compared to Warriors or Elementalists. Also please add a viable ranged option for Guards (a ‘Holy’ bow?) because currently the ranged weapons are truely poor for us (sorry this bit is slightly off-topic).

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: lmaonade.9207

lmaonade.9207

Scythe would fit the guardian perfectly, after all the ones who wielded it in GW1 were Dervishes

as a concept the Dervish is related to religion and so the “holy” sort of theme matches the guardian well, Scythe for guardian please

New weapon - scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xaton.1902

Xaton.1902

well scythe also symbols judgement [whcih is what guardion can be] of course did this in the d20 im building [necro has special skills for scythe [duh] and a priest class i built for the d20 pen and paper [more less magic based or healer but takes on the not bound to race creed or oath or nation red cross type thing] and then for warrior or martial so 5 skills for necro, 5 for martial [fighter what ever] and 5 for the priest. and stuff can explain the skills in the d20 [all martial skills can be learned by any class if they are prof in the weapon] cept warriors ultilities]