No More Group Combat Events

in Suggestions

Posted by: LordHogFred.3691

LordHogFred.3691

Can we please have something a bit more creative than “kill waves of baddies” for the next event?
I’m trying to play through Tixx (with only 2 other people as no one else in the world seems to want to do the events any more which is a flaw in itself) and it’s impossible. These events should scale to the amount of people in them, this is supposed to be a fun little Christmas event not a dungeon crawl.
Requiring 5 people for the events is a real issue, why can’t they scale? This isn’t a difficult thing to do. Also, why not DOWNLEVEL to level 10 for these events instead of uplevel to 80? It would be much more sensible.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Law of averages.

The vast majority of the player base is level 80, and has a decent set of exotics. Thus, it is preferable to design level 80 content.

This event was made very easy for the players it was designed for. The vast majority of characters at the appropriate level for the instance, and with the appropriate gear can actually complete the entire five man instance with two people. With a little creativity in skill/trait selection, aggro management, and a bit of practice, a pretty large portion of those players can complete is by themselves.

This is a level 80 instance that is no harder than level 80 world zones.

Asking for holiday content that downscales the vast majority of the player base trivializes both the content and the reward scaling. Upscaling has been implemented in this content as a special case, like WvW, to give you a fighting chance at completing it with a little help, but not to 100% equalize you with a “finished” character.

If you’re really having that much trouble finding people to help you complete Tixx, feel free to contact me ingame and I’ll make sure you get through it.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Can you really not do tixx with three people?

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

Can we please have something a bit more creative than “kill waves of baddies” for the next event?
I’m trying to play through Tixx (with only 2 other people as no one else in the world seems to want to do the events any more which is a flaw in itself) and it’s impossible. These events should scale to the amount of people in them, this is supposed to be a fun little Christmas event not a dungeon crawl.
Requiring 5 people for the events is a real issue, why can’t they scale? This isn’t a difficult thing to do. Also, why not DOWNLEVEL to level 10 for these events instead of uplevel to 80? It would be much more sensible.

I can solo most of Tixx dungeon events on my warrior. When i’m paired with my friend (mesmer) – we are invincible. So its a matter of level, gear and skill.

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LordHogFred.3691

LordHogFred.3691

This is exactly what I’m saying, it’s designed for level 80s. I’m almost 80 but my friends who got Guild Wars for Christmas aren’t even level 20. A system is in place which downlevels people precisely to maximise the content available, a holiday event should not be an event that caters to level 80s. The Karka event for levels 80s is fine, it was a big epic world changing event. Wintersday however should not be.
It’s not as much a matter of it being difficult or easy it’s a matter of it being accessible. People that are new to the game come in to find all these fancy events happening, they are not used to their characters, the game or the skills available to them (some of them don’t even have access to all of their skills). I don’t doubt that people who are maxed out with best in slot gear can solo it easily, but newbies and casual players are not.

in Suggestions

PopeUrban.2578

This is exactly what I’m saying, it’s designed for level 80s. I’m almost 80 but my friends who got Guild Wars for Christmas aren’t even level 20. A system in place which downlevels people precisely to maximise the content available, a holiday event should not be an event that caters to level 80s. The Karka event for levels 80s is fine, it was a big epic world changing event. Wintersday however should not be.
It’s not as much a matter of it being difficult or easy it’s a matter of it being accessible. People that are new to the game come in to find all these fancy events happening, they are not used to their characters, the game or the skills available to them (some of them don’t even have access to all of their skills). I don’t doubt that people who are maxed out with best in slot gear can solo it easily, but newbies and casual players are not.

Yes, its going to be frustrating for new players. However, lets imagine we implemented your system, and made holiday “dungeon” and “event” style content level 2 appropriate and just downleveled everyone.

You’re now alienating the majority of the playerbase by creating content that is extremely easy and boring. You’re creating content that everyone can accomplish, but not that everyone will have fun with. The only players that would enjoy this content are players completely new to the game, just having walked out of the awesome tutorial bossfight, and spend their time fighting enemies that can be conquered by standing in one place spamming 1. Lowbie zone content is made easy specifically because the vast majority of lowbies aren’t familiar with the game yet.

Holiday content is made specifically to entertain the entire playerbase, and in order to create fun content for the entire playerbase you have to address the majority, and that majority is accounts with at least one geared 80, which they’re going to play for any content they’re not yet familiar with.

While the level 80 mechanics and mobs may be frustrating for the portions of the player base that just started the game, they’re what make that content fun for the majority of the player base. Changing that means creating boring holiday content.

Also, both holiday events thusfar have included multiple noncombat and “bundle PvP” activities that require no advanced knowledge, gear, or levels to get in to. These activities are as fresh to veterans as they are to brand new players, and in both instances have been more numbrous than the “dungeons” in order to provide a broad range of activites for players of all skill and experience levels (and tastes)

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

I did Tixx solo as an 80 necro, because I jumped foolishly in not realizing it was intended as a group event. Doh! Died about 6-7 times, but I did it. Not trying to brag, just to note that its possible.

As to the OP’s main point, it does seem that these events need a decent reward for entering them more than once, so that folks especially near the end of event timeframe aren’t left with no one to accompany them.

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Law of averages.

The vast majority of the player base is level 80, and has a decent set of exotics. Thus, it is preferable to design level 80 content.

This is simply not true, it’s probably ~50% of the player base at max.

I didn’t mind the workshop instances myself, but I found them a little boring. That being said I’ve done them a lot to help friends/other players out. I don’t care about any reward at the end, but it would’ve been nice I think to be able to get the equipment to make all the toys. It would keep more people interested long, and hence those doing it for the first time – like yourself – would have a better chance of finding a full group.

I think it’s also an issue with the way characters scale. The developers themselves have said they’re going to be tweaking how characters perform with the current level throttling system, so hopefully that will help for future events too.

(edited by Reverielle.3972)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Morgan Malory.2069

Sir Morgan Malory.2069

It takes 60 hours to get a char to level 80. Add another 20-30 hours to full exotics. I would think +85% for the people playing the game are leveled and geared up. Most people are going to use lower leveled ats in these instances to take advantage of the experienced gained.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

It takes 60 hours to get a char to level 80. Add another 20-30 hours to full exotics. I would think +85% for the people playing the game are leveled and geared up. Most people are going to use lower leveled ats in these instances to take advantage of the experienced gained.

No, once again this is simply not true. You’re making a huge assumption that all people play the game only to level characters and to ‘gear-up’.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

I want more Tower Defence type maps and not only all together against mobs, but with some sort of competition between players. And be rewarded for better stats! I loved many SC2/War3 tower defence maps and played them hundreds of times.

Another type of map i want to see is – footmen wars.

And please, leave them in game forever, not only for events. I really miss other types of arenas like JQ or FA from GW1.

Just let people choose what type of map they want to play (with or against other players). “Everything has a place in the Eternal Alchemy!” ©

English is not my native language, sorry :<

(edited by ezd.6359)

in Suggestions

PopeUrban.2578

No, once again this is simply not true. You’re making a huge assumption that all people play the game only to level characters and to ‘gear-up’.

Not all of them, but the vast majority of players, yes. Take one look around any town, any LA overflow. Simply look at the armor people have equipped, and look at their character levels. You’ll notice that the majority are wearing exotic skins, or a mix of exotics and transmuted lesser rarities for visual flair.

I’m not saying this is the only segment of the player population, but it is in fact the majority of the population simply based on observation. Go ahead and do a headcount in any heavily populated area.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Not all of them, but the vast majority of players, yes. Take one look around any town, any LA overflow. Simply look at the armor people have equipped, and look at their character levels. You’ll notice that the majority are wearing exotic skins, or a mix of exotics and transmuted lesser rarities for visual flair.

I’m not saying this is the only segment of the player population, but it is in fact the majority of the population simply based on observation. Go ahead and do a headcount in any heavily populated area.

Not really a reliable method of data collection just hanging around LA, since most sub-80 players will be out in the world areas or running story quests. The 80’s hang around LA trying to find dungeon groups and the like.

As for the topic at hand… I don’t agree. I think there should be holiday events that require grouping to finish. Grouping is a major aspect of the game, and that should show through in holiday events as well as normal content.

The idea of making it soloable is nice on paper, let everyone do it no matter what and all that. But if you do that, vast majority are probably just going to solo it. Why bother grouping at all if you can do it just as easy alone, without worrying about taking the time to form a group, or other people leaving mid-dungeon, or anything? Unless you’re in a guild where grouping is happening all the time, its just easier to solo stuff if you can.

It is true that as the event draws closer to its end there’s less people running Tixx instances. But finding a group should still be possible even still. I ran the Tixx instances half a dozen times yesterday, all with different full groups. Some of them took 10-20 minutes to get together, but it eventually happened.