Norn Animal-Spirit Town Clothes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Coming into the game from GW1, I expected the Norn to be shape-shifters. Instead, their spirit form lasts what… 30 seconds, with 4 minutes of cooldown? The result of that terrible ratio is that I almost never see any player character Norns use those skills.

How about some Norn-character-only TOWN CLOTHES that let them appear as their spirit animal whenever they wish? (One-piece, like the Pirate uniform. The models are already in place, and we want to make it easy on the artists so that this idea has a chance of being implemented. No Aviators on that werewolf, please!) I suggest mailing each Norn a free set of Animal Spirit Town Clothes based on their personal spirit they chose at character creation.

…Maybe even a Costume Brawl skill set?

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Since there’s pretty much no chance of the racial skills getting buffed I think I could live with town clothes or even just a transform skill on a function key or something that lets any norn change to the appearance of a spirit of the wild as they wish. Note this skill will just be a visual, there’s no other benefits from it. I would say your town clothes idea is good, but I doubt they’re gonna just give away free town clothes to a portion of the game community and not many people would bother buying them with gems. A toggle option would make more sense, but I’m sure people would whine about the animations not looking good when they use certain skills.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

great idea. Since the town cloths can be assigbned a key to toggle this would be an easy way to toggle between the animal forms.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mist Y.5214

Mist Y.5214

They could just reduce the effects of the elites whilst bringing their recharge down to a bearable level.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Man that would be fully awesome. I would get a serious kick out of wandering through a town as leopard. What a great idea.

I hope they do something. They could make some racial town clothes for everyone and sell them in the gem store

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I would support such an item.

I would even support such an item as a gem-store exclusive.

Then again, if there were transform potions for all possible spirit animals, that would kind of solve that too.

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

Forgive the length of this part of the post. Here’s where we get a little more creative.

It would be more work, and I could use some help with ideas, but what if the other races also had access to a set of cultural town clothes? (Gotta keep things fair after all!) Something that is essentially “useless”, but fun and colorful for downtime socializing. Perhaps related to choices they made in their character creation that don’t seem to be relevant anywhere else. Let me see…

Asura could have some sort of clothing based on their college. Statics would be mechanical-looking, or robotic. Dynamics would be a wild and crazy “Rube Goldberg Device” outfit, with crazy gizmos that pop out occasionally (a cuckoo bird from his watch, etc.) Synergetics wardrobe would have weird, mystical particle effects (tied in to specific emotes, maybe?) Like the Norn Animal Spirit Town Clothes, each would have its own Costume Brawl skill bar.

Charr clothing could be tied into their chosen Legion. Even the downtime outfits would probably be militaristic. Or do we want to go fully Roman and outfit them with legion-specific togas? Most likely they’d have Legion-appropriate weapons handy for the Costume Brawl.

Humans could maybe have clothing designed with their patron deity in mind. Dwayna outfits would be white, light blue, and/or silver and be feathery. Something akin to Lady Kasmeer Meade’s latest outfit. Grenth’s followers could have clothing very at home during Halloween… maybe with a faint greenish cloud around it. Balthazarites would probably have something akin to CoF armor. Melandru’s children would have animal skins, and maybe something like the GW1 Elite Druid’s look. The Lyssa outfits would be the long, sleek, alluring and graceful sort. And Kormir’s followers might have something akin to Lady Justice, complete with blindfold.

Sylvari cultural outfits could be tied into the cycle during which they were awakened. I picture a very plain robe, with areas that you can “see into”, similar to the Legendary Greatsword Twilight. Looking closely you could see a scene depicting that time of day.

Whew!

Sorry again for the length. This additional suggestion would be much longer in implementing, since there is nothing currently in place like there is for the Norn. It would all be fresh artwork. All should have appropriate Costume Brawl skills, and all should just be a single item, not separate costume parts to be mixed with other sets.

Lots of extra work here for the game developers. Mainly I hope for a “Great idea! We’ll do that!” response for the Norn. The rest of this mess here is just stuff that might be “cool” and keeping in fairness to the non-Norns.

Ideas?

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I like your ideas.

Also, I’d play my Asura a lot more if she was a golem.

in Suggestions

Firebird Gomer.9563

Hamfast DUDE. Forget the “Great Idea”. That is TOTALLY AWESOME. Beyond Great job. The 6 god’s idea is well thought out. You could possibly take it to the level of avatars even.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Malavon.7128

Malavon.7128

Hey everyone, just going to jump in on this.

Just working off of Hamfast’s idea that the players individual story line choices (e.g. Norns who pick Bear Spirit can/should switch into bear form as town clothes)

I had a similar idea for the social slot addition about 20 days ago but i exclusively talked about Bear form and added the Asuran’s golems into perspective.

My idea was to utilize the social slot for a wider array of effects/skills, such as Asura’s being able to summon generic golems but with an option to change them up a bit. For instance to change their lights (Inquest- Red, Good guys – Blue) to allow the full rainbow spectrum. And alternatively this could be tied to players who use the Inquest armor set which i believe summons a golem when hit, and would be nice if they could dye the golem to match them in their colour patterns.

Personally i use bear form a lot during WvW to charge into zergs or to chase down prey and it’s pretty fun, but it would be more fun if i could customize the looks of my bear, maybe add a patch pattern somewhere. I’m not sure what happens to my armor lore-wise as soon as i turn into a were-bear but adding armor or other accesories to my were-form would also display originality of my character, more so if a Commander (whom is a norn) ever decides to turn into a were-bear can be easily recognized by his peers.

All in all i would support the inclusion of the ideas presented in this thread and look forward to the possibility of it being included in the game eventually.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZachariahtheBullfrog.5302

ZachariahtheBullfrog.5302

I love this idea of the spirit animals, and golem clothes! I would totally buy them if they were in the Gem Store.The 6 gods would be awesome as well, and the Charr have something specific to their legion, maybe? What about Sylvari?

I think, you can’t just do something amazing like this for one race., you have to do them all! Maybe have it specific to their story line, in that it defines your default town clothes! The Norns are their Spirit animal they chose as their town clothes. The Humans have the Gods they were blessed by. The Asura have their golem suits (the little golems), or something for their college, The Charr have a legion uniform. and the Sylvari have something for the cycle they were born in (Robes of Noon) or something.

As far as designing them, make them dye-able. That way you can make a black bear, polar bear, brown bear, whatever you want. Your golems can be whatever color, etc.

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

(Scroll up 4 posts, Zachariah… I addressed exactly what you’re mentioning concerning the other races.)

As far as designing them, make them dye-able. That way you can make a black bear, polar bear, brown bear, whatever you want. Your golems can be whatever color, etc.

Absolutely dye-able! Clothing and Animal Spirits alike! I’m sure we’d get some “crazies” running around as pink and purple Snow Leopards, but that’s better than everyone in town looking identical.

I don’t do much Costume Brawling except when it’s part of the daily achievements. Anyone have some neat ideas to help the developers along in that area? Any Costume Brawl skills that would be fun to include for any of the specific “outfits”?

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

in Suggestions

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

My Norn would definitely be the one running around in pink and purple.

in Suggestions

Firebird Gomer.9563

My Norn would be A Snow Leopard that was white with purple polka dots!

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

Ahh… so the C C stands for “Crazy Cat”?

Imagine though, if you could dye your fur… a leopard could finally change its spots!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I love this thread, awesome ideas

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Plague The Blighted.4812

Plague The Blighted.4812

Be nice to craft your own town clothes. Have different looks depending on what mats you use. Can be a fancy Norn with a top hat and cane.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

We can do the dance of our people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTV03YR0ePI

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

Okay, let me kick out one or two possible Costume Brawl skills for each set of Cultural Town Clothes:

NORN
~ Bear: Bear-Hug (damage + immobilization)
~ Wolf: Summon Wolfpack (quick zip in-and-out of 2-4 wolves)
~ Snow Leopard: Leap (damage+ knockdown)
~ Raven: Swarm (mad flapping, feathers all over, damage + blind)

HUMAN
~ Dwayna: Heal (regain a hitpoint; with appropriate cooldown)
~ Grenth: Spread Disease (AoE damage cloud centered around player)
~ Balthazar: Raining Daggers (A hail of daggers falls from the sky)
~ Melandru: Critter Assault (A small herd of bunnies, raccoons, etc. rush through for a quick nibble)
~ Lyssa: Mirrored Beauty (create a clone of yourself that makes an attack or 2 on an opponent adjacent to its point of creation)
~ Kormir: Justice is Served! (a couple seconds of retaliation)

ASURA
~ College of Statics: Golem Bomb (similar to the Golem-In-A-Box: http://www.gw2db.com/items/21716-golem-in-a-box)
~ College of Dynamics: Deploy Mallet and Deploy Boxing Glove (just like in the cartoons! Go-Go-Gadget!)
~ College of Synergetics: Ion Storm (swirling AoE aura for damage and stun)

SYLVARI
Cycle of Dawn: Sunrise (burst of light centered on player, blinds nearby opponents)
Cycle of Noon: Warmth (Restore a point of health with appropriate cooldown)
Cycle of Dusk: Night Falls (brief invisibility to other brawlers only! Onlookers would see the translucency effect.)
Cycle of Night: Lunacy (Image of the moon appears over target area of effect. Opponents take 2 hitpoints of damage per strike instead of one while inside).

CHARR
Iron Legion: Tanks a Lot (“Steamroll” straight ahead causing knockback along your path and leaving a tank-tread print on the ground)
Blood Legion: Berserker (Strike all adjacent enemies)
Ash Legion: Sneak Attack (Short range teleport, swing weapon at exit point, and teleport back to origin. Appropriate cooldown time.)

There ya go. It’s a start. Considering I know very little about Costume Brawl, what are your thoughts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

+1 great idea.

….Though it doesn’t mean they can’t do something to make the Norn Forms better. They really ARE among the absolute, absolute WORST elites in the game, instant Suicide in WvW, …and there isn’t a single Dungeon encounter where they’re a “good idea” to use either. WE GET IT…. URSAN (meta) WAS A PLAGUE in Gw1 that we DO NOT WANT TO REVISIT… but come’on. That doesn’t mean you go to the other extreme “just to be safe”

I find it weird that Mist Wolf got a nice buff recently (TY FOR THAT!!!) …yet Forms were left in a much deeper crap hole.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

Seemed to me they were mostly (mostly!) ganging up on lesser numbers. Did look fun though… for 30 seconds once every 4 minutes.

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

Seemed to me they were mostly (mostly!) ganging up on lesser numbers. Did look fun though… for 30 seconds once every 4 minutes.

Mostly, but at about 1:00 we see they hold their own against similar sized groups. So the racial is shown to not only not be suicide but actually be useful even with the CD that all racials have.

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

It’s true, many Elites aren’t very elite, mostly due to long cooldowns. But that’s a different thread. This one is primarily about getting the Norn more Spirit Form time, with a strong secondary suggestion for giving equal consideration to the other races through unique cultural town clothing.

That said, does anyone else have some input on types of town clothing or Costume Brawl skills that might help excite ANet into doing this for us?

in Suggestions

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

I don’t know about College Specific clothes But it would be nice if my Asura Could dress Like an Asura funny hat and all

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

I don’t know about College Specific clothes But it would be nice if my Asura Could dress Like an Asura funny hat and all

I agree! There are so few cultural armors for players. Almost everyone of every race wears human-derived armor. But the NPC’s (especially the Asura and Sylvari) are almost always seen wearing cultural garb.

I think the Cultural Town Clothes idea could give Costume Brawling and Roleplaying a big boost, not to mention vastly increase the variety of what you see people wearing in town. Plus, of course, giving the Norn the shape-shifting ability we all want them to have so they aren’t just “big humans”!

in Suggestions

Firebird Gomer.9563

Again Hamfast. Awesome post and idea filling out the first suggestion into a practical style.

Love the Gadget reference as well!

in Suggestions

Firebird Gomer.9563

I hope this idea doesnt get left in the dust. Keep up the ideas people

in Suggestions

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

it lacks so much variety. I fully agree with your ideas.
But they said that it was difficult to make new skins ..

# Asura because I’m worth it!

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

it lacks so much variety. I fully agree with your ideas.
But they said that it was difficult to make new skins ..

The Norn skins are already fully developed and in the game. But you can only see them for 30 seconds out of every 4 minutes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Princess Sparkly Bear? :p

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in Suggestions

Firebird Gomer.9563

Still Hoping for This to be discussed some more by the devs

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

Yes! They also already have the models for the shaman armor… They also have town clothes that aren’t available for other races, too….

Also, there really should be something for that character creation aspect that doesn’t get discussed period in game. Like the animal spirit, the cycle for sylvari, human deities, college, and the charr… (I’m not sure what doesn’t get discussed with them in story?)

Oh… and Countess Anise’s outfit… would be a fantastic one to add!

(edited by Lorelei.7809)

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

Every now and then, when someone asks to have access to NPC-only clothes (Town Clothes or armor), somebody else replies that they heard ANet doesn’t want to let us have them because it would be a monumental task; clipping issues, etc.

Well that can’t be correct. Everybody’s favorite Mesmer outfit is on a LOT of NPCs, many of which go into combat and have “chat” emotes and movements that even players don’t have. And what about Lady Kasmeer Meade’s feathery dress? Within a month of people on the forums saying they would buy it in a heartbeat, BOOM! …here it is!

What I guess I am saying, is that much of what we are looking for here in special Cultural Town Clothes is very doable. Much of the groundwork is already laid out in existing stuff. So keep at ’em, guys!

I personally think this would make a dandy 1st Birthday gift!

in Suggestions

Firebird Gomer.9563

OOOOO a birthday gift OOOOO that would be NICE!

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

I’m dredging this thread up again from the vaults, because I think it would be an excellent “Wintersday Gift” to the players of Guild Wars 2. There’s still time!

“Cultural” town clothes for everyone (with Costume Brawl skills so that everyone can brawl anytime without having to drink a tonic or something). Make those character creation choices MEAN something!