Pet Names

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: K Renegade.4028

K Renegade.4028

So, I started playing my Ranger more and more recently, and I’ve noticed that every time I swap out a pet, it loses the name I gave it. It gets kind of annoying, because I always like mixing things up and using all my different pets, but I also want them to have cool names and I get tired of renaming them, and, more importantly, forgetting the cool names I came up with for them and losing those names. Is it possible to make pet names permanent?

I got nothing witty to say, pretend I wrote something epic here.

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Balderstrom.5809

Balderstrom.5809

Makes sense, that you should be able to name your pet, and it keep that name, until you change it again.
+1

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faelan.7123

Faelan.7123

I support this.
Though permanent sounds a bit too drastic, but I guess you did mean what Balderstrom pointed out afterwards, that names should not change until you change them yourself.

I would love to give each of my pets a unique name without having to worry about loosing the names just because I change the pet I currently have at my side. Considering you can only catch each available pet once, I think it should be possible to implement this. I can only have one White Moa, so if I choose a name for him, he should keep it. Other games allow you to catch the same pet multiple times (not sure why you would want to though), set and keep names for each and every one of them.

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: zackichan.1863

zackichan.1863

+1

I support this Idea from the very beginning. I’d love to name every single pet individually.

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: K Renegade.4028

K Renegade.4028

I support this.
Though permanent sounds a bit too drastic, but I guess you did mean what Balderstrom pointed out afterwards, that names should not change until you change them yourself.

Yes, that is what I meant to say. I want the names to be the same until I go and change them.

I got nothing witty to say, pretend I wrote something epic here.

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I thought it was a bug… Well I support it too… it’s annoying and ends up every one having no names for their pet’s,

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: killeraled.1950

killeraled.1950

yess i noticed this too and sometimes if you swap say… your hound (elvis) for a boar the boar would be called elvis.

edit: lol forgot to say if i support by which i do

i am a hunter you don’t see me, you just die

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

This suggestion has been around a few times before, but it is good and is worth bringing up again. I’d like to see the pet names stick even after swapping to a new pet in the pet management console too. As it currently is, sometimes when I want to have a specific pet out just for a little while I leave the name alone as juvenille pet since typing its name in again is a drag.

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This has been requested before. The response given, iirc, is that it would take to much data space for all the Rangers to have names saved for all their pets. :/

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: LizLemon.7843

LizLemon.7843

I don’t think this is an issue anymore is it? I just learned I could name my pets a few days ago and each name is character appropriate:
Owl = Doctor Hoo
Raven = Phlip The Bird
Shark = Sushi
Pig = Pig Newton
etc
I put a lot of thought into them, lol, so I’d notice if they changed or dropped when I swap pets and they don’t, nor have they since I named them.

Here is a free one for Owl lovers — Owlton John

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fenris.8091

Fenris.8091

Would it be possible that instead of storing the data for this on the ANet servers, that it could somehow be stored locally on your own PC?

Current Characters:
Gyr Wolfchild: Norn Ranger lv71
Fenris Wolfchild: Human Thief lv80

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I support saving names. One of the reasons I hate swapping pets.

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

+1

I swap pets all the time and have given up on naming them..

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Would it be possible that instead of storing the data for this on the ANet servers, that it could somehow be stored locally on your own PC?

That seems like a good idea. Since the game already doesn’t have name conflict checking for pets, why not store the names locally?

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cardstar.1963

Cardstar.1963

You rarely see named pets anymore because of this bug. I don’t bother naming mine anymore.

Keeping the names local does make a lot sense, hopefully its not too big a fix so my juvenile eagle can be rightfully named Nigel again.

<paste generic, tired historical quote here>

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I am really surprised that this is even an issue. It seems like such a no-brainer that it should never have been even close to a problem, even in beta. Yet still, even six months after launch, it remains a problem. I hesitate to call it a “bug” — it seems like it’s functioning as intended — it’s just that the intended function is stupid.

I’m not programmer, but this seriously seems like it could be easily fixed in an afternoon, with little effort. It would make a big difference to anyone who plays a Ranger.

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Towndrunk.9562

Towndrunk.9562

+1 great idea!

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

If they can’t make the names stay, or save them all because they may be too much string data, then at least let us save them in a txt locally, much like the templates in GW1.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alcavexus.6539

Alcavexus.6539

This has been requested before. The response given, iirc, is that it would take to much data space for all the Rangers to have names saved for all their pets. :/

I don’t see that as an excuse for them. Silkroad, for example, is a very old game; everyone can buy a pet and have an option of choosing a pet you can name and keep that name whether you change to a different pet or put it away. The pet may not be class specific in silkroad, but the basic mechanics are still there, and though the name is permanent, its better than defaulting. So, why can’t a new game like GW2 do it? I wouldn’t even mind that in order to rename your pet (if it has to be permanent) you have to go and recapture it to rename it.

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: pluzoid.2597

pluzoid.2597

From now on I’m just calling the, bob, fits all lol

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

I absolutely agree with this

Pet Names

in Suggestions

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

the lack of such extreme basic features for ranger really shows how much anet cares for the class