Please Reconsider Legendary Weapons

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

To me, legendary skins seem like the End-game for pve, since they take a crap ton of time to get and are meant to make you feel unique(more skins will come, it just will take a little time). However, it isn’t enjoyable or adventurous time. It is dull and uninviting. Many people have simply gone to do wvw or spvp simply because pve isn’t lasting long enough (Not to mention ppl can buy legendary skins, so… what we just through out years of hard work for ppl with a credit card? gimme a break). Many things have been done well, and the road to 80 wasn’t paved in grey lackluster stone, it was full of life and really felt like an adventure. That feeling should stay, by adding things like monthlies or seasonal events (which you Anet does very well imo) and end-game content (skins) that lead to stories to be told and witnessed, not some pathetic tp item you either buy or grind for day after day. I would love to work on a legendary, I actually like several of the skins (dont care for any of hte GS skins, more love for the other weapons ; ; ). But I’m turned away due to the fact that I won’t have any amount of joy working up to them.

Please, you don’t have to release any specifics on this matter or an estimated release date, but atleast tell us you are looking into a new system in aquiring legendaries ArenaNet. Your community has been at your side for years and years before, because they know you can deliver. But this unanswered topic has been biting the legs of many people for a long time and some light at the end of the tunnel would really help (for legendaries). Atleast knowing this is being looked into would be enough. Could be a mini-quest line or a different acheivment system or zone(s) specific items such as off a champion hunt or world event hunt or somethin… anything but this…

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draymos.5489

Draymos.5489

No they can’t make it too easy for everyone to get right away, its called legendary!!!. Maybe make process of precusor more different way like dungeon drops/quests etc. But no to the rest.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I actually belive the current system should stay. It’s perfect for people who have lots of money, time, and can just sell there souls for them. I on the other hand don’t. Ohh and i buy gems by the way, becuase I like to help anet out.

Im simply stating, let there be an alternative. EVEN obi armor was not that much of a grind. It at most took a few weeks of minmial farming. DR means anet doesnt want us to farm-and yet the most majestic weapons in the game REQUIRE FARMING. Seriolsy anet, can you produce anymore of a catch 22? I’m doomed if i try to go for it, and if I don’t im also doomed to never have anything worthwhile. Legendaires are also required to a point. They will never be the weaker weapon, anet intends to make them the “Highest OUtput” always. And from the track record, we will be getting alot of new gear levels in the future. Your exotics will be trash by the end of next year.

I hope your wrong about exotics being trash, if this game turners into a gear treadmill like WoW, I’m out now. I’ve no interest in playing a, “if you stop playing you will fall behind” game. I want to work for a legendary. I just want that work to be fun. Is that too much to ask?

I’m still running around with level 70 gear. This game has never been all about the gear. People make it that way generally because they’re small minded and can’t grasp the insignificant effect it has on your ability to function. I pretty much guarantee I have worse gear than my group when I do dungeons, but I am always the most survivable. And people say Rangers aren’t any good.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: Clarity.7281

Clarity.7281

I think currently this is the best possible way to have them implemented.

If you have it achieveable at the end of a quest line, then what ends up happening is people will get it like crazy.

Right now unless they have some miracle idea, either people will not get it because they don’t want to “grind”, or people will get it.

What i ask if you don’t like the way it is, try to think of a way to do it, then ask how hard would this be to do.

would it feel like much of an achievement if everyone now has the same weapon as you?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Qwyksylver Vyqtunos.6312

Qwyksylver Vyqtunos.6312

I totally agree. I currently have full exo gear and have no desire to get a legendary because i’d much rather do anything but grind and farm t6 bloods and ectos and waste hours tossing stuff into the mystic forge for nothing. I’m fine with a quest/event chain that takes 2 months or more to complete plus a decent expenditure of funds but I won’t just between areas just to farm something I did enough of that in gw1

Raagar Deathclaw-Necromancer | Korgin Shadowmind-Mesmer

Circle of Legends [BOLD]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaiwen.1520

Kaiwen.1520

Here’s an idea: instead of making crafting legendaries more about gathering materials, make it more about accomplishing in-game achievements.

Instead of farming mats, make it so you have to have certain titles. For example, the title for clearing all dungeons or the title for having a certain rank in PvP. I imagine some new titles would have to be added to make this a flexible but still challenging goal.

Then, once you have the requisite number of titles, you would unlock what I would like to call the “Legendary Story.” A series of quests that are challenging, memorable, and somewhat customized to each legendary weapon.

There. No longer about grind but about realizing goals in game. No RNG, but still a genuinely challenging and memorable undertaking.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Carelius.1430

Carelius.1430

I whole-heartedly concur with the OP. A-net’s gone about it the wrong way. Legendaries should simply be about the stuff of legends.

Two examples:
1) In fractals a dude is running around with Twilight, cool. Then he begins to play and it becomes obvious that he’s good at the TP game, not the actual game. Major anti-climax.
2) Someone posts their solo run against Lupi as a thief; downed twice, yet he/she wins the day. ( https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Thief-melee-solo-Lupi )

To me it’s obvious who should be closer to wielding the legendary weapon.
(And yes, eventually all will be able to solo Lupicus if that feat granted you a Legendary, but it’s just an example.)

Sure you need money to buy components etc. (perhaps not the ton you need today) but that should be peripheral, not the core of the process.
The core is soloing a (hard) dungeon, earning the respect of other players based on your skill (the political system in Tera sounds really interesting), unlocking enough achievements, and then going on an epic quest once you have all the components, which, in the end, will grant you your legendary weapon. And I don’t mean the usual personal story quest, I mean something bad kitten where you need skill to beat a legendary monster in the end (the monster could be based on the weapon or previous choices in the quest). I’m just riffing, but when I see a legendary I want to know that the player earned it through talent, skill and sweat – not money.

I could probably create a Legendary (at least all of the components required except for the precursor), yet I don’t think I’d feel any real accomplishment if I did. Because I haven’t really done anything other than hoard money. Why not put the Legendary on the pedestal the word deserves, A-net?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Varzeus.7153

Varzeus.7153

Could anyone from ANet officially say something concrete about precursors’ event or the other ways to get precursors, please?

in Suggestions

Draymos.5489

To me, legendary skins seem like the End-game for pve, since they take a crap ton of time to get and are meant to make you feel unique(more skins will come, it just will take a little time). However, it isn’t enjoyable or adventurous time. It is dull and uninviting. Many people have simply gone to do wvw or spvp simply because pve isn’t lasting long enough (Not to mention ppl can buy legendary skins, so… what we just through out years of hard work for ppl with a credit card? gimme a break). Many things have been done well, and the road to 80 wasn’t paved in grey lackluster stone, it was full of life and really felt like an adventure. That feeling should stay, by adding things like monthlies or seasonal events (which you Anet does very well imo) and end-game content (skins) that lead to stories to be told and witnessed, not some pathetic tp item you either buy or grind for day after day. I would love to work on a legendary, I actually like several of the skins (dont care for any of hte GS skins, more love for the other weapons ; ; ). But I’m turned away due to the fact that I won’t have any amount of joy working up to them.

Please, you don’t have to release any specifics on this matter or an estimated release date, but atleast tell us you are looking into a new system in aquiring legendaries ArenaNet. Your community has been at your side for years and years before, because they know you can deliver. But this unanswered topic has been biting the legs of many people for a long time and some light at the end of the tunnel would really help (for legendaries). Atleast knowing this is being looked into would be enough. Could be a mini-quest line or a different acheivment system or zone(s) specific items such as off a champion hunt or world event hunt or somethin… anything but this…

in Suggestions

Draymos.5489

they are Legendaries for a reason, not everyone in game will have them. You work for them or you don’t get them. Its not going to be handed to you no. Just like when ascended weapons come out with stats, you have to work to get them. They are endgame and not to be given out free. Stop asking for endgame stuff to be handed free. There are those who actually work for these weapons just like every other MMO out there. There will be items/gear not everyone will have in game. They would not be legendary if everyone person walks in game gets them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xephier.1647

Xephier.1647

I’ve spent literally months attaining “legendary” type weapons in other games just to have the tier bumped up and the weapon donned functionally useless. The time factor don’t bother me so much but for the amount of time/materials you need VS the price just to buy the thing, you’re better off just buying the thing off the market. The things should be marked “account-bound” So that at the least the few people that have them can be admired for the amount of lifeless grinding and farming they put into the weapon and months sitting in their parent’s basements vegetating and living off of chips and red bull and not mixed up with those feeble minded and eccentric enough to actually spend 2000$ RL cash on a fancy LOOKING digital in-game weapon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: miniL.7361

miniL.7361

Took me a while to get my first legendary and 2nd will take even longer no doubt as I grinded a little every day to get the first and I wont bother to do the same for the second one.

Biggest issue is they are soulbound on use and they should just be account bound.
Really dont see any reason good enough for us not to be able to switch it to the toon we currently wanna play on.

Also the game needs a lot more endgame content in form of dungeons, even if they are hard dungeons it at least sets a challenge. To make it worthwhile give large proportion or chance on legendary stuff (a random gift or precursor for example has a chance to drop from each boss).

The chance you get 1 is rather big, but the chance to beat a boss is small unless you work well together. You wanted to challenge us? Do it in the right way so people will keep playing and actually look forward to the challenge instead of having to grind which makes no one happy.

And then you bring in ascended armor and weapons anyway to overrule the legendaries, and 20 different token types to obtain them. And when thats done no doubt we get another treadmill.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

If they change the current legendary recipes it would be unfair for everyone who has farmed for months to get one.

I agree with OP, but when new legendaries come out it shouldn’t be like the current recipe that needs T6 mats, icy runestones, obsidian shards, and clover.

Making it more accessibly doesn’t mean it should be easy. It’s about getting away from the daunting grind so people can enjoy getting a legendary but also so it feeles more unique.

ATm, many people have a legendary. Does that make them better at playing the game? No. Should it? Big no. However player’s can’t play how they want to and see a legendary in their near future, they gata go down the boring road most taken. It’s honestly better to farm gold, then buy all the mats to make a legendary (excluding the dungeon items and 100% map) and make it rather than farm it which either method, is boring as hell. If you manage to push through this dull part, you get a weapon. Yeah! Will you encourage others to make the weapon? Probably not, because
A. they will look like you and just about every other player
B. the experience was less than lump of coal for the holidays.

New skins could only solve part of the problem, the core of the issue is the aquisition of the precursor and eventually the legendary. Did I mention they are incredibly boring?

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeta.7289

Zeta.7289

It would be nice if the items needed for each legendary weapon were equitable. For example. The Bitfrost needs 500 piles of crystalline dust plus 250 of each of the tier 6 craft items.

Greatsword only needs to get the ores into ignots (so much easier than trying to get a tier 6 drop).

It appears that the Bitfrost is the hardest to get. The precursor is also the most expensive.

Now some ideas that peeps have posted is have the craft skill mean something and have to make the precursor weapon – great idea!!

Make the drop rate of tier 6 items greater. It is hard to get piles of crystalline dust even with magic find (which I find to be absolutely ridiculous – never works). I find that piles of crystalline dust do not drop in the Cursed Shore off Risen or Sparks nor in Malachor’s Leap even with magic find. However, I can get them in Eternal Battlegrounds without magic find but get a tad better rate with magic find.

Having to have 100 gold to get the Icy Runes is crazy. Only skill there is to spend money.

Please reconsider how Legendary Weapons are made. I don’t mind it being hard to do or taking a lot of time, its just not equitable for each weapon at this time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Everflame.1305

Everflame.1305

I’m very happy to see this post resurface, and have to reply again just because I am so strongly in favour of the changes proposed. The thing is, gw2 so amazing and innovative, it is sad to see them drop the ball so completely on the pinnacle item in the game. Truly, legendaries as they currently stand are a joke. First, it is absurd that a legendary weapon should be able to be bought and sold on the TP. This is just wrong. Secondly, the actual process of getting a legendary is nothing but a legendary grind. It seems nearly universally reviled by players and has absolutely zero fun factor. To be clear, it sucks, not because it is hard, but because it is just lame. It could have been designed to feel totally epic, as most of the rest of gw2 does. What a shame. The thing is, I’d bet that 98% of the people who have legendaries either ran CoF p1 100 times a day, or spent a bunch of real world money to get them. How is this okay? I truly hope Anet considers swallowing their pride on this one and changes the whole system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

It’s true that a lot of people bought the Legendaries from the shop but how do you think those are put into the trading post? By people who crafted them. So there always were more people who crafted the legendaries than the people who bought them.

Never the less I agree that legendaries (just like ascended) should be account bound on receive.

I understand that legendaries require a lot of work to get but still. The current procedure is more than frightening. I’d prefer to collect only a few rare drops instead of a huge amount of many items.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’ve actually got my Juggernaut now, but still agree with this post. After getting the Gift of Mastery and the 500 dungeon tokens necessary for your particular Legendary, it’s all money, and stupid amounts of it. There is no more skill involved in making your Legendary from this point on.

There’s nothing remotely Legendary about this part of the build.

I would in no way at all be jealous of people who were able to get their Legendaries without this outlay. If all the other gifts could be obtained through quests unique to that Legendary, it would be much more satisfying.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Areann.1304

Areann.1304

I almost have the Bifrost, harde everything except the Gift of Mastery. Give me an amazing challenge please, not a stupid grind.

Arenanet: You promised Guild Wars 2 would be releases when it was ready. You broke your word.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

I almost have the Bifrost, harde everything except the Gift of Mastery. Give me an amazing challenge please, not a stupid grind.

Arenanet: You promised Guild Wars 2 would be releases when it was ready. You broke your word.

From what I heard they ran out of money and had no other choice but to release Guild Wars 2.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Makarei.4316

Makarei.4316

ok, my post got deleted, so i am re-posting it Legendary weapons are pointless to me, they only look different, not extra stat, not even 5 points more on damage, man if the damage rose to +5 or even +2 on the weapons i probably consider an adventure to obtaining one, but for now there pointless collections of art, that don’t do anything except “hey look at me I wasted my life obtaining this item, I feel so great”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Totally agree.

Legendaries should require time and effort, but not mindless grinding. And thats all they are.

And you are right, anet missed out on the lack of involvement with crafting in the process in any meaningful way.

And to rely on rng for such a lot of it? Just no.

But my bigest thing is the dungeon tokens, as you say completing all dungeons? Fine. But grinding 500 tokens? No, you are too reliant on finding groups for it. At least put in a kitten lfg

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blur.3465

Blur.3465

I totally agree with this.
This is what is keeping me away from a Legendary weapon…mindless grinding and annoying farming…plus RNG! It makes no sense! What’s legendary in that? Luck?! No way!
Stacks and stacks and stacks of items required for a legendary weapon is crazy! Not to mention that a precursor might NEVER drop for you! And someone might not even have enough gold to buy it from Trading Post! There is nothing legendary in that!
Give us some epic scavenger hunts, like Black Moa Chick from GW1, it was interesting and I really felt good in the end when it hatched.
Legendary weapons should require something similar to this, something which will make you proud, something which will actually keep you going! This way, I am just ’’stuck’’ because I have to spend tooooooooooooo much time on mindless grinding which can actually make you sick of the game itself.
It was obviously rushed, just because people rushed to level 80 and found themselves ’’bored’’.
Reconsider this, ANet, please…

Feanor

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

They should go back and look at the Black Moa Chick hunt:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Black_Moa_Chick

While the process wouldn’t be that short (so to speak), it had some interesting parts in it that took you across all campaigns.

This was one of the best scavenger hunts in a game. Though the black moa chick was ugly the journey to get it was challenging and lengthy. Not a grind at all in the least.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

I would give +billions to this post for I agree too much with you! Legendary weapons should come from real efforts and shouldn’t be for everyone! Too many times I saw people saying how easy it is to get a Legendary, “Just from 2 weeks to a month of very hardcore farming and there you have”. I hate this. There is no honour, no pride, no fun and no point in getting a nice skin which just proves you have time to lose and nothing better to do. In my opinion you should be able to craft a Legendary out of achievements, not just world exploration and maxing crafting…also finishing the story should be required as you said, completing dungeons, fight to have one, struggle! Not run 1000000000 times x day a puny CoF path 1 in a team of 4 Wars and 1 Mez…that could be done even by anyone which makes Legendary no legendary, just a different exotic with a nicer skin.

\||||||/
O°v°O

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

My current pie-in-the-sky dream now is to simply make a Quiver of Swift Flight. The stack of 50 Ectos is coming along, though 250 Vials of Powerful Blood by itself is an extremely steep price for one item, at the rate they drop. It’s going to take forever to create that — how do you expect anyone to make a Legendary, that basically requires 250+ of everything?

I’ve stopped reading here and I’ll tell you why.
When these where introduced I saw the icon of the item in a website and I thought “that looks like a quiver, and what do you know, it’s called a quiver” I wondered if you could actually see it but I wasn’t hopeful, I looked it up on google but I couldn’t find it right then so I forgot about it.

A few weeks passed I was in LA and someone linked one in the /map, you couldn’t preview back then, so I asked and he WP to show me.
As a L/S bow Ranger that was a must so for the first time I jumped into fractals, after 4 runs I got that drop, for large bones and ectos I bought them, all of them, around 40 gold back then.

How did I got the gold? Laid back relaxed PvE and gather, EVERYTHING and NEVER in the same place.

A lot of people come up with these routines for max profit where they run around in a “circle”, that’s just crazy, I’m always in a different map, kill every mob I see, gather everything that shows up on the minimap and sell the loot/mats for the best profit (sometimes that’s to an NPC).

Map exploration comes easy, just relax and enjoy the view, hell it could have been 5 times bigger, I would love it.
500 tokens is nothing, I have 4 full dungeon armors (for stats) and those are about 1300 tokens EACH.

To finish, best advise is to relax and just play, I got more gold than I know what to do with thanks to that.

Lastly and maybe I should have started with this, they’re not changing how you make a Legendary because that would be unfair for the people that got it already, hell they’re upgrading them to Ascended stats so it doesn’t fall behind, how cool are they?

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

(edited by Dean Calaway.9718)

in Suggestions

Draymos.5489

If your casual player and don’t do the work, you don’t get it period. Its not supposed to be for everyone. Don’t expect to have something only those who did work to get. And please don’t mention those who purchase on TP, because we all know who has the gold for that!