Pull mechanics for allies

in Suggestions

Posted by: Matt H.6142

Matt H.6142

I was doing the skipping stones jump puzzle and raged quit before going to a mesmer portal to the end Before that, I saw a thief on the first stop and I just wished his scorpion wire could just pull me up, and to know the devs want some portal mechanics in other professions, I think some of the existing pull skills could be the answer. Scorpion wire, magnet, and spectral grasp make perfect sense to me. I especially like the idea of the latter grabbing you and hoisting you up. Because of the potential for trolling when this is turned on, perhaps give an option in the setup to disable ally pulls, or it only works on party members.

Fort Aspenwood home
All Professions Level 80

in Suggestions

Posted by: GameVeight.2745

GameVeight.2745

+1
I’ve always wished I could Scorpion Wire downed teammates out of aoes to revive.

Ye’ll tak’ the high road an’ I’ll tak’ yer wallet!
You’re so vain, You probably think this post is about you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

+1 to both of these

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I am going to get my forum on this topic. This is a very good idea and makes scorpion wire less of a “kittens-and-giggles” utility.

It would also be nice if scorpion wire would make the target perform a shallow jump instead of dragging the target across the ground to avoid hitting a 6in ledge.

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Suggestions

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

+1 this is good stuff

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

The idea is good.

As long as the player being pulled can decline the pull to avoid noob usage and trolling.
Maybe through the activation key? Though I have a feeling that would be hardcoded
on engine level to add.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

While I have definitely wanted this ability before, I strongly suspect that the mechanics of it would be far too complicated to be feasible.

If you look at the options in the F11 menu, you’ll see that they tend toward the “how things seem” rather than the “how your character behaves.” Autoattacking, targeting, camera movement… Basically, there are no options you can change that would be noticed by other players. This one would break that rule.

You can’t look at your screen and say, “That guy over there has fast-cast ground targeting enabled,” or “That sylvari is using the free camera setting.”

But if this idea were implemented, you can imagine the conversations:
“Dude, pull me up!”
“I’m trying, but you must have the option unchecked.”
“No, I don’t! Wait, where is it?”
“Hit the F11 key.”
“Oh. Right. Okay, I think I checked it. Try it now.”
“I can’t yet, the skill is still on recharge.”
“Ack! Some jerk just pulled me into the lava while I was waiting! I hate this game, everything’s so complicated!”

And so on.

So, not to sound like Ms. Downer, but… Don’t get your hopes up.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Just make it like a portal. Using Scorpion wire as the example. Guy A targets and shoots Scorpion wire at Guy B. Guy B now has to hit his action key to accept the pull. If Guy A or B move out of range the action is canceled.

Just like a portal, you have to stand on the portal and accept it.

One draw back for this (with WvW in mind) Mesmers wouldn’t need to try to hide in keeps any more. Thieves could stay stealth and when its clear pull up a Mesmer.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

Just make it like a portal. Using Scorpion wire as the example. Guy A targets and shoots Scorpion wire at Guy B. Guy B now has to hit his action key to accept the pull. If Guy A or B move out of range the action is canceled.

One draw back for this (with WvW in mind) Mesmers wouldn’t need to try to hide in keeps any more. Thieves could stay stealth and when its clear pull up a Mesmer.

So, you’re suggesting a ground-targeted Portal?

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

If implemented make it so things like the wire magnet etc need the target selected so allies hit by it in ssy wvw dont accidently get pull options on f and hit it thinking its loot

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

So, you’re suggesting a ground-targeted Portal?

Scorpion Wire must have a target selected for it to work. Ground targeting is impossible.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

How about this?

Shadow Pull
Thief utility skill
40 Seconds recharge
1500 Range
Create a Shadowy portal that allies can teleport to your location from.

-a shadow portal(portal model but with a dark shadow tint) is created at target location.
-teleport is one way.
-teleport end location is where you use the skill.
-same limitations as mesmer portal(20 max, must have los, etc..)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Great idea, I’d love to be able to Spectral Grasp allies up.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I would like to see portal mechanics like this for more classes than just mesmers, though IMO for thief the better option would be to create an ally-accessible portal upon use of shadow return.

But several other classes could use this as well- I’d love for engies to be able to drop teleporters, TF2 style

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Teleporting? Bah, that’s for them silly magic users. Give us engineers the ability to build bridges and ramps!

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

Teleporting? Bah, that’s for them silly magic users. Give us engineers the ability to build bridges and ramps!

Or elevators!

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: wars.2083

wars.2083

this sounds good, give the engineers the possibilty to make elevators and need 4-5 extra people to right click the event to help build it.
and when it is done the engineer alone can operate the elevator

i have many ideas but mostly never speak of em

in Suggestions

Posted by: geekFace.7314

geekFace.7314

I was doing the skipping stones jump puzzle and raged quit before going to a mesmer portal to the end Before that, I saw a thief on the first stop and I just wished his scorpion wire could just pull me up, and to know the devs want some portal mechanics in other professions, I think some of the existing pull skills could be the answer. Scorpion wire, magnet, and spectral grasp make perfect sense to me. I especially like the idea of the latter grabbing you and hoisting you up. Because of the potential for trolling when this is turned on, perhaps give an option in the setup to disable ally pulls, or it only works on party members.

Aww man, you people know how many trolls would abuse this mechanic and cause way more trouble that it’s worth? The only way this would work is if it was a voluntary action and asked for the option to be pulled, which would make it clunky and unreliable. Portal works because it is voluntary, has a nice glowy field placed on the ground that you have to go to and the mesmer has to actually walk to both places to place the portal ends. Other skills would have to work in a similar way.

“Hey, I want to use that siege equipment. Get off, yoink. Mine now.”

“Lulz I feel like trolling and will pull my allies off the walls.”

“I know, I’ll sit in a jumping puzzle and pull them off the cliffs.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Devon.9061

Devon.9061

Wont work at all in WvW. I can stay hidden in an area as long as I would like if I then had the power to teleport others or a single mesmer into the tower/keep/SM with me that is wrong. I fully support fixing Scorpion Wire since I have yet to actually use it in a fight not pulling someone off a tower that misses 99/100 times usually. But the ideas of thieves being able to portal people would basically make mesmers useless. With one other thief i can perma stealth my group and now with the ability to teleport? It just wont work.

On a side note, I would probably be kicked from my guid for using it on them so many times…. Troll City Troll Troll City

Last Forum Account Left.
Yo mama jokes to stronk.
Forum Mods to weak.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

While it sounds cool to make up for the abscence of portal on the other professions, I think it won’t happen. The game is build under the filosophy that no skill will directly target allies (all support is based on AoE either around the caster or ground targeted) and this would allow to target allies which isn’t part of that filosophy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Matt H.6142

Matt H.6142

Just to keep the idea alive, I’ve already suggested it only affect party members to cut down on trolling, and disable it completely in WvW. If you’re going to troll your party in WvW or PvE, well, heaven help you.

Fort Aspenwood home
All Professions Level 80