Removing PvP in WvW Jumping Puzzles

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marc Warner.6417

Marc Warner.6417

Hi all, first time I’ve made a suggestion and as the title says its the suggestion to remove player killing in the World vs World Jumping Puzzles, either that or remove them entirely or at very least stop putting temp content achievements that require doing said Jumping Puzzles.

The reason I make this suggestion, as a lot of you will already know, is because every single time I attempt to simply do the puzzle I get over run by players simply trolling the puzzle, I’ve attempted to fight them however there is often more than one and I just don’t know anybody willing to be a body guard and frankly I shouldn’t need to resort to that.

I understand that it is there for WvW oriented players to also experience Jumping Puzzles however I feel like letting players kill each other here just promotes the trolling behavior, which obviously only works out nicely for the trolls.

Above all else it just ruins the experience of getting 100% with the temp content and makes me and I’d assume others not bother with it meaning people miss out because someone wanted to get their thrills, if ArenaNet want to support players like that then I suppose I’m boned but I hope its not the case and would appear not to be when you look at other aspects of the game.

So to summarise, giving people the ability to kill other players who simply wish to finish the Jumping Puzzle makes the content literally impossible for some to complete and not to mention the nasty behavior this system promotes is all a bit naff and frankly, at least in my opinion, needs to be changed.

Apologies for the wall of text!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Better:
create an npc which makes you invulnerable and unable to damage/CC others (by choice). Sure this would require work since you (ANet) also implemented torch section into it, so the 5min invisibility is forced to cancel.

But generally
+1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Remove PvP from a PvP zone?

What?

One – Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

For people who love wvw (like me) the pvp element is what makes these JPs fun, so I’d rather they didn’t remove it. There are a lot of JPs outside of the wvw/pvp area and just a couple inside it.

If you’d like a better chance to get through the pvp JPs, they’ve made some fountains available that will make you entirely invisible for a few minutes.

in Suggestions

Nretep.2564

If you’d like a better chance to get through the pvp JPs, they’ve made some fountains available that will make you entirely invisible for a few minutes.

This doesn’t help when enemies are waiting at the start of the JP. Nor it help you once you reach the torch part … basically it only help you for like 20% of the JP, and furthermore, sometimes enemies wait especially there to hunt those who want to be left alone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

This doesn’t help when enemies are waiting at the start of the JP. Nor it help you once you reach the torch part … basically it only help you for like 20% of the JP, and furthermore, sometimes enemies wait especially there to hunt those who want to be left alone.

It’s true, the fountains are just a bit of assistance and won’t let you skip the pvp element of the puzzle entirely. But if they did, they may as well put the puzzle into pve. Which is what the OP requested, I suppose, but I’d still rather they didn’t. You don’t have to be a griefer to love the this JP for its psychology alone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

There should be a new buff:
“Spiritual Movement”
“Player can’t be attacked and can’t attack”
That is removed once you finished the eternal battlegrounds jumping puzzle. I don’t think the other jumping puzzles need anything they’re short for a good reason. I never had trouble getting through those.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

in Suggestions

Tom Gore.4035

Stop it already. It is a PVP puzzle for a reason! Removing PvP from a PvP puzzle makes absolutely no sense!

One – Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Yes, remove PvP, and while you’re at it remove the rewards and don’t use it ever again. The whole point is the PvP. It’s a rediculously easy, if excessively long puzzle without the bottle necks from PvP.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

I usually run without fountain with a small group of 3-4 people.

But the other day I was alone. So for once I used the fountains. The experience was great. I used the first fountain and got to the dark room while passing three enemies. In the dark room there was this guy ambushing noobs (complains on /m). Well… let’s just say that I was still invisible and had my glass cannon stuff in my inventory. Now, that’s how you treat ambushers. If it were a normal guy simply doing his JP like the three I passed while invisible, I wouldn’t have done anything. But an ambusher? He got that lesson right.

In short: use the tools at your disposal and you’ll be ok. Tools might be co-runners, fountains, traps, etc.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Guys, keep in mind people doing that jumping puzzle for the first time have to fight other people and search for the path as well. You can’t expect that much or more of some people. I find it unfair for those that aren’t as good at jumping nor pvp but really enjoy jumping puzzles and are interested in exploring the obsidian one but no people tend to be mean and doing their pvp stuff so explorers can’t get what they seek.

I find it perfectly fair if you say “I don’t want to hurt and I don’t wanna be hurt” and then you’re off while people who say “I wanna hurt and I want to be hurt” can fight others who share their opinion.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

in Suggestions

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Remove PvP from the PvP jumping puzzles that give PvP rewards for getting through the PvP to the chest.

I think I sprained my brain stem.

Often the best part of these JPs is the PvP that can come down on you in there. The joys of knocking someone off who didn’t (or maybe did) expect it, the “Holy crap!” of being attacked when you’re focused on a leap… no, leave them be. They’re great as they are.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dufox.3150

Dufox.3150

when you enter a pvp zone you enter a zone where “cheap” does not exist.

the people who realize this understand that every time they die in a pvp zone its because they did something wrong. not because the enemy did something unfair or “cheap”

so basically when you start taking responsibility for your deaths you start learning how to say alive.

in this topic for example, if you are aware that enemies will be ganking you at the puzzle then why are you letting them do it. you do not need a body guard, you need 10 other people who are in the same situation you are in… if they dont respond to your question then be patient… you already know what happens if you try to do it alone anyways.

dont need a sig, im famous *#!@& :D

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

actually that PvP element is that fun one – thats because You are not suppose to make it alone – once I have done it with my friend (obsydian sanctum) and we were talking through teamspeak and he was fighting with some random ally against two enemies in dark room – and i didn’t even met them because I am always slow and going through first part of dark room took me twice as many time as him.

but i made i through whole dark room quicker just because I didn’t met hostiles he does.

and I have one rule in such situation – do not atack first. when I see potentially hostile I just wait to see what he will do eventually I inform him about my intentions by “/m”
If he atack – I just throw him away so he have to make his way back If not – I just not atack.
but I never met “ambushers” yet.

but this is a part of the fun

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Once you are attacked or attack an enemy or opponent once you’re forced to kill them to finish the jumping puzzle. I find it stupid for a person only going for account wide achievements or self satisfication through completion to be forced to do pvp in a jumping puzzle.

Edit: by now I’m a great pvp player and usually 1vs1 I always or almost always win.

Well at least for the first time you’re doing it. I once was going through the dark path with my friend and a necromancer killed me. My friend finished the jumping puzzle and I had to wait at the beginning for a random person to walk with.

in Suggestions

Posted by: masterfan.8375

masterfan.8375

Hell no, that’s the best area to PVP if u want some fun and stay away from zerks.

in Suggestions

Marc Warner.6417

To all those saying that I wish to ‘remove PVP from a PVP map’ I’d point to the fact that the Jumping Puzzle in Eternal isn’t actually a reachable part of the map without teleporting into the Jumping Puzzles zone, meaning it wouldn’t be hard at all to change into a none PvP area.

I’d like to say those who suggest a buff for those who don’t wish to fight but to have the challange of the puzzle alone as the best solution to this.

I’m fine with just sitting out of the Jumping Puzzle, I’m not fine that If I want to get all the achievements for the latest temp content, which is literally all PVE excluding this one achievement, that I have to do PVP, it make no sense!

The Temp content achievements don’t aim at World Vs World at all and yet force PVE players to throw in and attempt it despite not wanting to do PVP.

I hope that clears it up and clears up the fact that I don’t want PVP removed because I don’t like PVP just because its forcing those who don’t want to fight to have to when in actuality PVP is nothing to do with the overall content or what your trying to achieve.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

If I want to get all the achievements for the latest temp content, which is literally all PVE excluding this one achievement, that I have to do PVP, it make no sense!

Sanctum Sprint isn’t PvE, and that has 3 Achievements tied to it (2 which count towards the Meta).

Just saying.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Oh, while we’re adding this, can we make it so that Dungeons are done in sPvP gear? I don’t like how everyone has to gear up with stats and runes, why not make it all free? That way everyone can join you in dungeons! I don’t want to have to work for my PvE gear since I have it all in sPvP.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I could accept making it so getting the Orb in Borderlands grants you private us of one Obsidian gate, so getting all 3 orbs allows you to get it exclusively for your world, closing the corresponding gate in its keep until your world controls it.

But I would not remove PvP from there. And I don’t like PvP in there either when there’s other rewards like living story achievements, so people that do not like it feel forced to go there.
But you are not supposed to like PvP in there. You are supposed to fight you way through if there’s enemies there, like it or not.
Like Charnel used to say, CONFLICT gives value to… certain things.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

[…]
I’m fine with just sitting out of the Jumping Puzzle, I’m not fine that If I want to get all the achievements for the latest temp content, which is literally all PVE excluding this one achievement, that I have to do PVP, it make no sense!

The Temp content achievements don’t aim at World Vs World at all and yet force PVE players to throw in and attempt it despite not wanting to do PVP.

WRONG!
IT AIMS AT WVW!!!
thats why it is in the pvp zone!!!!

It was never intended to be a PvE achievement only

you have to master all aspects of the game whenever you want to get 100% on something
==> if you want to get 100% of the event achievements then you have to master pvp too

actually you dont need any pvp skills if you just look into the jp often enough
YOU JUST HAVE TO COMPLETE IT 1 SINGLE TIME!!!!!!
you have to be so incredibly lazy if you didnt manage to get to the end at least 1 time
i bet you wrote this post after the 3rd time you got killed there….

you can complain after you tried 100 times and still cant get through because there are always 2 or more players camping you and NEVER ANYONE from your own server to help (seems very very implausible that always the others are camping – but if you stop trying after the 3rd time and just complain on the forums then ofc you lower your chances of getting into the jp when your people are camping it!!!!!!!!!)

there wasALWAYS 1 pvp achievement at the events
the events are for pvp players too!!

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

What about an infantile mode?
Decide if you want to do that jp normally or you can do it in baby mode (by speaking to a npc or choose when you enter the sanctum) and are immune to damage (and of course you can’t damage others either). To prevent the others to pointless spam their attacks on you, you could be either invisible 100% of the time or have an “infantile aura” (maybe like the cloud in sab infantile mode.. some rainbow colors around you).
So everyone who still wants to compete/ harass other people in that jp can do that, but other will also finally be able to achieve it.

If you think there is a need for a punishment for using the infantile mode the chest could give less reward. ^^

in Suggestions

Posted by: Genesis Notch.1905

Genesis Notch.1905

It is absolutely intended that you can fight people in the JP. The fact that so many people are piling into the map to get the achievement is good for any and all of you who are capable of laying the smack down on them, and, if they manage to fight back is hopefully going to encourage some of them to stick around and play WvW. If you don’t want to get killed by other players, don’t play WvW. Plain and simple. The achievement isn’t required for getting the meta-achievement on purpose.

I am in charge of gas tanks. Tink Tink.

in Suggestions

Nretep.2564

I guess alot ppl here out themself of being an **** and waiting in groups in that JP to kill those how want to finish the JP peacefully. That’s why they want to keep it ingame.

Seriously, you can force pvp players to fight some NPCs (mobs) and jump a bit outside of their territory. But you shouldn’t force pve players to fight each other. Especially if there’re sadistic groups which stay there solely to prevent others from completing this.

It took me like 1.5h to get all kites except FotM and WvW. And it took me like 2h to get the WvW one. That’s not what I call “equal”. I want all PvP/ WvW guys to have to run Arah p4 every patch, please.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

I guess alot ppl here out themself of being an **** and waiting in groups in that JP to kill those how want to finish the JP peacefully. That’s why they want to keep it ingame.

Seriously, you can force pvp players to fight some NPCs (mobs) and jump a bit outside of their territory. But you shouldn’t force pve players to fight each other. Especially if there’re sadistic groups which stay there solely to prevent others from completing this.

It took me like 1.5h to get all kites except FotM and WvW. And it took me like 2h to get the WvW one. That’s not what I call “equal”. I want all PvP/ WvW guys to have to run Arah p4 every patch, please.

ok no problem
i run arah p4 if you do the wvw jp solo like thousands of people to it everyday

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I think it’s intended for people to fight each other in there. See all the traps lying around, for example.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Yeah it is supposed to do that. But Anet keeps adding achievements PvE players hunt for. Either they remove the WvW achievements from PvE living stories or create an extra type of living story for WvW.

in Suggestions

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah it is supposed to do that. But Anet keeps adding achievements PvE players hunt for. Either they remove the WvW achievements from PvE living stories or create an extra type of living story for WvW.

Are you blind or just ignorant? Why do you repeat this “this is PvE story, PvE achi” mantra while indeed the achievement is clearly PvP.

One – Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Why are you doing the puzzle if you don’t want to do it and don’t need the reward for anything?

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

marnick.4305

Are you blind or just ignorant? Why do you repeat this “this is PvE story, PvE achi” mantra while indeed the achievement is clearly PvP.

Apparently this is a pvp achi in a pvp zone. It is clearly not PVE. What’s your problem?

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Tom Gore.4035

Apparently this is a pvp achi in a pvp zone. It is clearly not PVE. What’s your problem?

You probably should have quoted the other guy. I don’t have the problem, he does.

One – Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

ok no problem
i run arah p4 if you do the wvw jp solo like thousands of people to it everyday

actually…
I am doing every WvW jumping actually alone…
only problem for me with obsydian sanctum is question if our serwer hold a keep with a portal….

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

It is clearly a PvE achievement in a PvE achievement category placed in a PvP environment in WvW. What’s your problem?

And I’m saying it doesn’t belong there.
Anet should definitely NOT mix PvE WvW and PvP in living stories even if they’re intentions were only regarding the finishing and not killing players.

Plus some people only do WvW, others only do PvP and again some only do PvE.
Those WvW people can only do 1 achievement.
The PvP guys can do about 2-4 achievements.
The PvE guys can do the whole rest.

I know I don’t mind the whole thing. I’m doing PvP PvE and WvW but I’m taking the point of view from a person that is not as good in jumping puzzles as a jump & run fan I am and that doesn’t do PvP and/or WvW for example.

Well then again this would give people like me the ability to gain even more achievement points though….

(edited by GreenNekoHaunt.8527)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

PvE achievement category? Living World is in a PvE achievement category? Ah… I should read the news.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Since this specific JP is accessed from WvW that would mean that you need team cooperation to help complete the JP. You honestly can’t call up some friends to help you get through a Pvp JP? I say get new friends.

in Suggestions

marnick.4305

It is clearly a PvE achievement in a PvE achievement category placed in a PvP environment in WvW. What’s your problem?

Anet should definitely NOT mix PvE WvW and PvP in living stories even if they’re intentions were only regarding the finishing and not killing players.

I know I don’t mind the whole thing. I’m doing PvP PvE and WvW but I’m taking the point of view from a person that is not as good in jumping puzzles as a jump & run fan I am and that doesn’t do PvP and/or WvW for example.

Well then again this would give people like me the ability to gain even more achievement points though….

The game disagrees with you. It’s a pvp achievement in a pvp zone. I’m really sorry but that’s how it is. If you want PVP achievements, you’ll have to PVP. I don’t get the fuss.

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

The game disagrees with you. It’s a pvp achievement in a pvp zone. I’m really sorry but that’s how it is. If you want PVP achievements, you’ll have to PVP. I don’t get the fuss.

I can’t find any achievement in PvP nor WvW or any other references besides having a “World” in it and being listed in a living story category with the rest being pure PvE. Strange isn’t it?

in Suggestions

Marc Warner.6417

Alright well, I guess to finish this off, I’ve read all the posts but still heavily disagree.

The bases for my argument is in fact that the achievements here a mainly hunted by PvE players and that the content is updating the Lore, which concerns PvE players far more than PvP’s unless you happen to do both which just makes you fine and dandy, but that isn’t all of us.

My original point, although put across poorly, was that they shouldn’t bother putting achievements based on Lore updates in World vs World which is undoubtedly Meta and frankly won’t concern people only doing WvW in the game, if you happen to do both a lot (that is PvE and PvP) then that’s great for you but again its not the case for everyone.

Finally, something that is a real problem with half the responses here is that they seem to think I’m asking for everything for free and easy, which is completely wrong, I still want the challenge of the jumping puzzle involved but I never asked for PvP and none of the other Temp Content has ever asked me to be an avid PvP’er as well as a PvE’er, excluding the NONE STAT BASED mini games which only a fool would think is the same as World vs World.

But nonetheless, this seems to be something that people are divided on and is a matter of opinion so there is no point discussing it any longer, thank you all for your responses.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I like obsidium sanctum as a PvP zone.

You can do other jumping puzzles if you want to do jumping puzzles.

You do not need to complete this achievement. You can just ignore it.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Ideally, ANet should not put in Kites/Caches/etc. in WvW at all, but if they must, here’s my solution for making everyone happy:

Put a Ghost NPC on each of the starting platforms at the start of the puzzle. Talking to this NPC transforms you into a Ghost. While transformed, you have the Determined buff and are immune to all damage and attacks. However, all of your skills are also disabled while transformed. If you exit the transformation, you are also instantly teleported back to the start of the puzzle, so you can’t use this transformation to get into a good spot to grief others. This now allows the player to make their way through the JP free and unhindered by other players, since they can neither affect nor be affected by others.

Ghosts cannot open the Mistwrought Chest at the end, so they can’t use this to farm the JP. All this solution provides is a means by which to reach the cache/end of the puzzle for the achievement (which they still have to complete normally).

For players who might complain that surviving PvP attacks while doing the JP is part of the achievement, I counter with the fact that I could just go into the JP late at night when there’s nobody around and thus bypass the “challenge” anyway.