"Representing" is a flawed feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Either make characters represent all guilds they are in, or remove this feature and let only one guild per account like in GW1.
As the feature works now, it is a hassle to find out why people are not representing your guild: are they not aware of this? are they representing another guild? how did they get to represent another guild if they just joined random guild spams?
Not seeing your character’s name automatically make you unaware if you are in guild or not.

(edited by Ronah.2869)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I concede. Representing breaks communities. I’m officer in a not too big guild, and it hurts when you see new members aren’t representing and don’t actually join in when we have a little chat and have some fun together.
I do think representing all guilds is impossible, cause you would see chat from each guild at the same time (complete madness). Also, what’s the point of a guild, when you join 3 of them…

Representing is only good in so far as you can have only 1 guild per character, instead of 4…

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

The point is to encourage players to be in multiple communities at once. And in that regard, guilds are working perfectly.

That said, I think they need to set the game up so that players can have separate chat windows for each guild they’re in. Not being able to engage in the discussion when you’re not representing does drag things down a lot.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

^alright, being able to represent all guilds same time and have different guild chats in a different window seem like a nice compromis.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

The Ideal of being in multiple guilds and representing is not the problem, I really wish people would stop blaming things that are not the issue.

If people are not reping your guild that has nothing to do with the game mechanic it has everything to do with the player. That thought process is as asinine as people that want a 100% ban on firearms and think that will stop violate crimes with firearms, when in truth criminals do not follow those laws. It is not the firearms fault it is the person wielding the firearm. The same holds here, the ability to be in multiple guilds is not the problem it is the people that join your guild and never represent. Either they never really cared about your guild or are not aware. So if your running a guild make them aware talk to them, if they don’t care then you don’t need them in your guild.

What makes you think that by having one guild will make them choose yours when they are not choosing yours now? Another proposal is you want Unified representation. Why so you can gain from others hard work?

Simple solution get people in your guild that care about your guild and not others.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Smelly Bookah.6957

Smelly Bookah.6957

been trying to find some decent guild for a pretty long time with very miserable effect. Many guilds had gazzilions of members yet barely anyone was representing them.
Multiple guilds seems like failed idea to me.
I understand why ANet decided to include it, but it apparently doesn’t work all that well. It just creates ghost guilds. I’d gladly see this feature removed once and for all.

in Suggestions

Ronah.2869

What makes you think that by having one guild will make them choose yours when they are not choosing yours now?

A: If they join a guild and then they don’t like it, they can leave it and join another. Now they just wait to be kicked because they don’t help the guild anyway. I think it is more honorific to leave then stay in a guild and be useless for it. The option is in here too, but very few use it.

Another proposal is you want Unified representation. Why so you can gain from others hard work?

A: If one player does the work it does it for ALL the guilds he is in not only mine. I don’t see an issue here other than selfishness from your side

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

What makes you think that by having one guild will make them choose yours when they are not choosing yours now?

A: If they join a guild and then they don’t like it, they can leave it and join another. Now they just wait to be kicked because they don’t help the guild anyway. I think it is more honorific to leave then stay in a guild and be useless for it. The option is in here too, but very few use it.

Another proposal is you want Unified representation. Why so you can gain from others hard work?

A: If one player does the work it does it for ALL the guilds he is in not only mine. I don’t see an issue here other than selfishness from your side

I am part of 3 guilds,
My own guild which is not large at all but we have our few supporter’s and about a 52 guild roster and only 8 or so that represent. You see the non represents are not hurting my guild they are not even affecting me, once a month I go through and see who has not been representing and remove them. How is this a problem?

My other guild is a WvWvW guild I play with twice a week, they know I only represent them twice a week, I do it when I go WvWvW. They have no issues with it everythign I do for them in WvWvW supports them, they are a WvWvW only guild 90% of them leveled in WvWvW.

The last guild I am in is a PvP, more accurate a Tourny guild. I only represent them on Saturday nights, or when ever my team is signed up to play. In fact most of the guild only represents when they are doing tourny’s. We all have our other guilds we do other things in.

The ideal of Multiple guilds is great it allows us as players to be in guilds that center focus in areas that some guilds try but are not strong in, because they are trying to PvP, WvWvW, and PvE. So because your not either
A.) Smart enough to filter your guilds dead weight
B.) Trying to do everything ( which seldom works well )
You want to remove a function that works great for the people that understand how it is intended on working.

My personal guild doesn’t have the be the best top guild, I really don’t care about that. So long as My friends and people I have meet can jump on do dungeons, fractals, Events, karma runs, and or Jumping Puzzles together on a consistent basis and I am having fun I don’t care. People in my personal guild have realized this and understand this, nightly we have any where form 5 to 8 people on at any given time from 1pm PST to around 2Am PST.

in Suggestions

Ronah.2869

I am part of 3 guilds….

GW1 had guild alliances for this and it works really good.. It is not needed to BE in more guilds. You could use the alliance chat plus your friend list to see if specific players are online for doing activities with but everything you do counted only and exclusively for one guild.
You see, A-Net tried to develop this feature but failed it instead of keeping it as it was. I remember even the reason they mentioned for not keeping alliances: “GW2 does not have factions so there is no need for alliances” This is just a lame excuse to cover up the bad implementation issue.

But I agree, some people like you can take advantages of this new system, others like me prefer to be called old-fashioned than be compared to the current politicians who go from one party to another as they see gains on the horizon

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

I am part of 3 guilds….

GW1 had guild alliances for this and it works really good.. It is not needed to BE in more guilds. You could use the alliance chat plus your friend list to see if specific players are online for doing activities with but everything you do counted only and exclusively for one guild.
You see, A-Net tried to develop this feature but failed it instead of keeping it as it was. I remember even the reason they mentioned for not keeping alliances: “GW2 does not have factions so there is no need for alliances” This is just a lame excuse to cover up the bad implementation issue.

But I agree, some people like you can take advantages of this new system, others like me prefer to be called old-fashioned than be compared to the current politicians who go from one party to another as they see gains on the horizon

That is the key here you personally do not like it or care for it, others have no issues with it. Honestly if the majority of the player base agrees with you Arena Net will remove it and in that case I will not complain. Although as it stands now ( do to the fact it is still in the game ) the majority like it.

I respect your opinion and I understand your frustration, But one persons view ( I say one as an example not truth ) does not make it an issue. It is good to see even though your are greatly against the multiple guild aspect you can still recognize that others are not and that it is your personal dis like rather than a majority.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I’m currently in two guilds, both of them are run by friends that I do tabletop gaming with, I also have mulitiple characters, some of the characters represent one of the Guilds, and the rest the other guild.
Personally I like it. I have always refused to join guilds with a “This must be your only guild” rule.

It seems to me (although I may be wrong) that those who are against it are people running guilds with an open door recruitment policy trying to create a large guild who want loads of influence points, and realise that a portion of their membership are representing other guilds, however if you were to force those people down to a single guild, I’m guessing that they would stay with the one that they actually are representing.
If you have a problem with it and you want the people in your guild to be exclusive to you and represent you with all of their characters, either put it in your MotD or mail them giving them a deadline. If they don’t meet it then feel free to kick them.
But please note, just because they aren’t representing you with one character, doesn’t mean that they aren’t representing you with another.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

In the GW1, guilds were full of drama and vampiric politics that caused guilds to dissolve for petty reasons. In truth, it was quite ugly. While that still remains to some extent, there is no reason to constantly jump ship.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

You should be able to pick at least 4 guilds that would get their own channels you can activate in chat panels, with their own colors, even if you only give influence to one.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

^I wouldn’t care if they left, if they had to choose between 2 guilds and decided to get the other one. I just get frustrated that when we organize events half the people who were recruited don’t even care to check it.

I suggest we get an option to view when the last time was a person has represented, so we get a better view on who to kick and who not to kick. Thanks for your understanding.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I am part of 3 guilds,
My own guild which is not large at all but we have our few supporter’s and about a 52 guild roster and only 8 or so that represent. You see the non represents are not hurting my guild they are not even affecting me, once a month I go through and see who has not been representing and remove them. How is this a problem?

My other guild is a WvWvW guild I play with twice a week, they know I only represent them twice a week, I do it when I go WvWvW. They have no issues with it everythign I do for them in WvWvW supports them, they are a WvWvW only guild 90% of them leveled in WvWvW.

The last guild I am in is a PvP, more accurate a Tourny guild. I only represent them on Saturday nights, or when ever my team is signed up to play. In fact most of the guild only represents when they are doing tourny’s. We all have our other guilds we do other things in.

The ideal of Multiple guilds is great it allows us as players to be in guilds that center focus in areas that some guilds try but are not strong in, because they are trying to PvP, WvWvW, and PvE. So because your not either
A.) Smart enough to filter your guilds dead weight
B.) Trying to do everything ( which seldom works well )
You want to remove a function that works great for the people that understand how it is intended on working.

My personal guild doesn’t have the be the best top guild, I really don’t care about that. So long as My friends and people I have meet can jump on do dungeons, fractals, Events, karma runs, and or Jumping Puzzles together on a consistent basis and I am having fun I don’t care. People in my personal guild have realized this and understand this, nightly we have any where form 5 to 8 people on at any given time from 1pm PST to around 2Am PST.

To me this is the best and perhaps intended use of being in multiple guilds.

Personally, I’m only in one because I’m guild leader and I want to build amenities with my influence. I would actually be in another guild of friends also if I could see and participate in their chat and still earn influence for my main guild. They don’t need my influence, they have plenty. They would be happy with participation.

Participation I could give at times, influence I want to keep. I wish there was a way to solve this. Having an alt in their guild doesn’t help as I tend to concentrate on one character at a time. I wish there was a solution for this problem.

However, if I do in the future join other guilds, it will be in a similar manner to the posted quote.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

The point is to encourage players to be in multiple communities at once. And in that regard, guilds are working perfectly.

That said, I think they need to set the game up so that players can have separate chat windows for each guild they’re in. Not being able to engage in the discussion when you’re not representing does drag things down a lot.

This is exactly what they need to do!

I belong to 3 guilds and I always find myself switching back and forth to the other guilds to see if something is going on. I tend to stick with the guild that has some activity at the moment, which I guess it’s what you are suppose to do. But it’s an annoyance really to have to do that all the time.

I don’t have a problem representing one guild at a time either, but everytime you do, you miss out on what’s going on (or not) your other guilds. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes for something to happen, e.g. someone setting up a dungeon run and because you were not representing that very moment, well you are gonna miss out.

I know Anet is smart enough to make it so we can have communication with all our guilds at all times. Why make your other guilds practically invisible when you choose not to represent them?! They are still there happening without you.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mojo.8431

Mojo.8431

I agree that it would be nice to still interact with guilds you aren’t representing, on the other side of things though there’s not enough information about the members not representing where at the very least it would be handy to have a “last represented” timestamp

in Suggestions

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

no, they absolutely are not.

The main issue with why repping fails is the guild chat (imho and all that). I’m only in two guilds, but I nearly always rep only one because the guild chat is more active. This of course leads the second guild chat to be even less active and it goes into a death spiral.

Because I can only see one guild chat at a time, I can only see what’s going on in one of them, I can only ask questions in one of them, and I’m only aware of guild events going on in one of them. As I get more and more interested in one guild over the other I get even less inclined to check the other.

If I was able to see multiple guild chats, this wouldn’t be as big an issue and I could actually feel like I was part of the other community, rather than popping in rarely to see if anything is actually happening.

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

What imperator says is true for at least 90% of the people out there. Most people who start not representing end up NEVER representing. At the moment it isn’t such a grave issue for my guild, but about 2 months ago we had like 5 active members and like 10 guys not representing. It took us 2 months to get our guild up to 25 people who were inclined to represent, cause it doesn’t help when people see you have more people not representing than representing. It really is a struggle for life for many guilds, and it only benefits the guilds that already reached a huge population (guilds with 100-150 active people).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

In GW1 the guild I was in always talked with the other guilds in alliance… Rarely was the guild chat used instead of alliance chat. Alliance chat ftw.
Either bring alliances back or make it so you can view all your guild chats.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

Separate guild channels would be helpful, I would not mind if I could have 4-5 chat tabs opened so when I click it I can see which guild is saying what. They have separate chat for several different channels such as guild/party/emote/game messages, etc. It could not be that hard to add in some more that specifically assign to each of your guilds.

Chats:
Party
Guild #1
Guild #2
Guild #3
Game messages
Emotes

It could sort the guild alphabetical, [Abr] is your 1st guild, [KzZ] comes 2nd and then [WWz] would be 3rd.

As for representing, I find most people stick to one guild and rep that more due to it being bigger and having more people to talk to but at least for me it is Influence points, I can only bring IP in for 1 guild at a time, it makes sense but it sure does suck. Just makes a multiple guildie not contribute even more; they can’t see guild chat, they don’t see message of the day, they may not be using the TS, they don’t bring in influence. Multiple guilding was a nice idea but it has too many downfalls or not enough use.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

Agrees:
1- alliances and only one guild or
2- multiple guilds + multiple guild chats + being able to represent all at the same time
3- multiple guilds + multiple guild chats + being able to see when a player last represented

I’m in favor of the first option. Screw representing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

There are new plans for guilds. I guess we will find out what those plans are later today.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

They could just list your guilds like they list the different types of chat and let each person decide. I would like all guild chat in one window myself. it could be as simple as having the guildtag next to each persons name when they chat.

[AG] Fluffy: hello guildies.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Kape.3672

The Kape.3672

Like in GW1 Alliances one good thing they could do is you won more influence if your party its all from your guild and alliances. Meaning theres a reason to GUILD A use theirs players with GUILD B,C,D from same alliance Working influence together for players and guilds.

[WHAT] http://gw2what.shivtr.com
Your Home Hardcore PvE Guild focused in doing Speed/Record Runs & Guild Missions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

The “Representing” is fine.

It’s the chat system that’s lacking.
We should be able to receive chat from any guild we belong to, and set up custom channels for them. Then leaders can be sure everyone’s being communicated with to an extent.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~