Stiv's ultimate WvW progression system

in Suggestions

Posted by: Scalyon.7028

Scalyon.7028

Your point has been duly noted. I too would like to actually SEE my enemies. However, while the fix will soon ( hopefully ) be forthcoming, that does NOT preclude those of us who wish to discuss suggestions and ideas that will enhance this game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hrist.8972

Hrist.8972

Have I missed something but isn’t there already WvW focused titles to be grinded for? Adding more of them would destroy teamwork? Wut?

Hrist Unriht – [Hovi] Unseelie Court – Seafarer’s Rest EU

in Suggestions

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

There are already people who point out those titles cause problems. 100% map completion, for example. Completing all jumping puzzles as another example.

in Suggestions

Posted by: cuth.8694

cuth.8694

This was a great thread before it got derailed so I’m going to add to the original topic.

Personally I think Guild Tracking would be the most fun. Which guild took the most Keeps, defended the most towers, contributed the most points overall. Give a guild a WvW rank.

It’s a way to keep a goal in front of people without being another grind. But it’s also temporal so you never reach the plateau.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

mcl you gave a perfect example with CoutnerStrike.

“One of the longest-running games with sustained popularity is CounterStrike. There’s ZERO progression in that game. Everyone is on a level playing field.”

I’ve played for years and still do on occasion (not since Guild wars for sure). It’s an amazing game on it’s own right but it has a couple things that make it ever better

http://i.imgur.com/SpN42.jpg

Those stats for my server broke down by everything. Guns, maps, players. Everything. There is also tons of name recognition in CS. This keeps people playing the game and making friends and enemies.

Did I like stat kittens on our server that played a cretin way to get a better K/D or whatever? Not really, but it was a hell of a lot of fun killing them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I like Stivs idea, it reminds me of the battlelog in Battlefield3 which is in no way a bad thing. Things like kill count with X weapon, uses of specific Utility skills and Combos could allow for progression that unlocks new animation or visual effects (like the cow finisher), saving an ally from certain death (healing the back from 5% health with a blast finisher/heal combi field for example). Maybe with new expansions in the future we could unlock a weapon skill varient that can be slotted to replace the original. Things that add flavour and not power, variety and not just a stat increase.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

mcl:

I am going to break your post up and respond piece by piece; not out of disrespect but instead because there is so much there.

As has already been argued elsewhere, XFire use is not a representative sample of the GW2 customer population. The data is therefore irrelevant.

You asked the man to provide you data which I think you know is impossible for him to provide. Come on… XFire is flawed data, absolutely, but where else can he turn for any kind of data?

I go into overflow all the time. The fact that today’s average number of players logged in is lower than launch is NOT a surprise. It’s normal. it happens in every game. Go ask a game publisher for general players-per-day trends over time, from launch onwards.

And there were a small but significant number of people just biding time until Pandaland came out; nobody would deny that.

I agree with you, completely. It was 100% expected, which is why they even included overflow and raised the server cap. They knew the game would never retain that initial surge. If I were a betting man, I would wager that no game ever in the history of the universe has.

So, you have the typical-to-every-game post-launch drop, and an expected drop due to the new WoW expansion, and your support for “the game is dying” is XFire data, which is, again, not a representative sample (which is a statistical term and a polite way of saying, “that data is meaningless”).

You offered a counter-example to his empirical evidence. Fair enough.
Surely you can’t deny that although the game is not “dying”, the sudden and sustained loss of population might be concerning to someone who wants to play a game with a large and active population.

And this is your basis for wanting post-cap progression in WvWvW, of whatever form. Because if not, OMGTTEHGAMEWILLDIE!

Forgive me if I don’t hop on your particular bandwagon.

The only progression GW2 offers, or will offer (if the developers stay true to their vision as they have done thus far) is horizontal.

You (and I, for that matter) may not give two kitten about this cosmetic or aesthetic stuff, but some people really do.

Your only arguments thus far have been (I am paraphrasing):

Badly designed metrics could potentially destroy team cohesion.
(I suggest you quit arguing against something they already said they had planned, and argue for considerate metrics)

and

Bugs/balance/glitches are so important that I can’t even stand the fact this is being discussed.
(I agree, which is why people who haven’t followed the game for years still suggest stuff like this, even though the rest of us know it will all come in time. ANet is not discussing it right now, because it is so far down the priority list they have zero clue of when they will get on it. Maybe an expansion.)

I 100% support this idea. Good discussion. These types of discussion just give us hope and excitement for the future of the game.

Personally, I think there should be one string of major titles, each coming with a recipe that allows the player to craft a consumable which would add a glow or particle effect to a weapon item. The titles should be based on something critically related to WvW teamwork, perhaps some combination of other smaller rewards. They should take a long time to achieve. They should not be able to be done by “grinding”.

Make it happen, ANet! (later, after these bugs and such)

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Swiftly.2385

Swiftly.2385

Stiv, Some great ideas here. But I am betting it won’t happen. Wv3 feels like an ANet afterthought. Really to bad too, because for myself and scores of others it is THE GW2 endgame.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

Stiv, Some great ideas here. But I am betting it won’t happen. Wv3 feels like an ANet afterthought. Really to bad too, because for myself and scores of others it is THE GW2 endgame.

It’s endgame for me as well. I’ve read around that Anet was surprised at how popular it is. It that’s true, maybe it will get some focus in the future.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

It’s endgame for me as well. I’ve read around that Anet was surprised at how popular it is. It that’s true, maybe it will get some focus in the future.

Sadly I think that will come too late and many of us will be off to other games.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Balidore.2790

Balidore.2790

I like the OP idea. I just don’t see ‘cool looking stuff,’ as actual time worthy character progression.

Balidor [Envy]
Mesmer/Thief
NSP

in Suggestions

Sky.9347

I like the OP idea. I just don’t see ‘cool looking stuff,’ as actual time worthy character progression.

What would be, then?

in Suggestions

Balidore.2790

What would be, then?

Well, people don’t like my answer. lol. but I’ll say it anyway I guess…

Get points based off of: Kills, Supply used (both building and repairs), Siege placed, Healing done. Balance the amount gained between all things.

If you have 50 people kill 1 guy, the amount gained is diminished. If you kill 50 people with 1 guy (unlikely, lol) you get a larger amount of points.

If you die alot, you’re worth a less amounts of points (this is to keep people from farming points off newer players and friends).

Doing the average point worthy task, is worth about 10-35 points.

These points, can either be traded in for w3 badges, for exotic gear, prolly 2-3k points would be enough for an average 1 piece of gear.

Or, you can save these points, and after about 10k or so, get a small ability buff. Not a new ability, Not added permanent points. But a buffed ability of some sort.
For example:

Shadow Refuge (for those who don’t know, this utility skill heals and stealth in an AoE effect).
Spend 10k points, and now Shadow Refuge heals for a little more. Or maybe stealths you for another second… etc.

Something small, but nice to have. Not easy to get, and not game breaking, but people want it.

Edit: just went back and looked at it. It would have to be more like 10k for a piece of gear, and 50k for a small skill buff. but ya get the idea.
Then take this idea, and add it to the OP idea.

Balidor [Envy]
Mesmer/Thief
NSP

(edited by Balidore.2790)

in Suggestions

Sky.9347

What would be, then?

Get points based off of: Kills, Supply used (both building and repairs), Siege placed, Healing done. Balance the amount gained between all things.

If you have 50 people kill 1 guy, the amount gained is diminished. If you kill 50 people with 1 guy (unlikely, lol) you get a larger amount of points.

If you die alot, you’re worth a less amounts of points (this is to keep people from farming points off newer players and friends).

These points, can either be traded in for w3 badges, for exotic gear, prolly 2-3k points would be enough for an average 1 piece of gear.

Or, you can save these points, and after about 10k or so, get a small ability buff. Not a new ability, Not added permanent points. But a buffed ability of some sort.
For example:

Shadow Refuge (for those who don’t know, this utility skill heals and stealth in an AoE effect).
Spend 10k points, and now Shadow Refuge heals for a little more. Or maybe stealths you for another second… etc.

Something small, but nice to have. Not easy to get, and not game breaking, but people want it.

You’re right, I don’t like it… lol.

I stand opposed to any mechanical advantage given to senior players over less senior players, outside of simple player skill & knowledge.

in Suggestions

Posted by: krakenstar.1674

krakenstar.1674

good discussion here, some good points. I’ll add my 2 cents.

1. I love the cosmetic stuff. I really want to show it off.. but not if it adds to the invisible enemy problem. While there are technical rendering issues that are game breakers, all further stress causing factors should not be introduced and must be placed on the back burner (ie future feature request only).

2. Discussion/Recommendations of systems and features that do not compound the rendering issue and non-WvW queue-er situation, that increases fun/ reason to WvW should be sought first.

so OPs ideas I like the following:

I think a out of game, stat browsing web service that publicize guild and personal WvW achievements is a no brainier. It will promote guild/server pride and community competition that EXTEND beyond the 1 week face-offs. Beyond just getting the “titles”. If somebody wants to be the #1 Yak slayer in of ALL TIME of the WORLD they should be able to show that off.

I understand mcls point about these “personal title goals” may actually distract members of a server from focusing on “winning”. At the end of the day MCL, this is a game, and “winning” is to have fun playing the game. It means different things for different people, and you have to understand that. If, cosmetic titles are given for different tasks that needed to be done in WvW, and people are having fun chasing those titles I say bring them on. There will be similar number of people distracted on all 3 servers so that should balance things out. Another device to keep more people playing this game is good in my books.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kousei.5914

kousei.5914

I’m against stats and titles. Players will begin focusing more on them than actually helping their server win. Just like with the current 100% map completion title currently. And if they’re only getting people like this into WvW with these titles and cosmetics, then they might as well not add them. They’re not giving players a reason to actually play WvW. They only give people incentives to complete their titles or up their stats. And no offense but players like this shouldn’t be encouraged to queue up. I’d rather that slot be saved for my guildie or ally that actually wants to help us win.

The badge system in place already allows players buy armor and weapons skins in WvW. ANET could easily release new armor, weapons, etc. at these vendors or all new vendors while also forcing players to actually play WvW to get the skins.

Leader of Marked Souls [MkS]
Jade Quarry

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brunners.7251

Brunners.7251

Sadly I think that will come too late and many of us will be off to other games.

Well it’s not like you’re paying monthly so if you leave, it doesn’t really matter…you can always just..you know…come back when they’ve fixed it to your standard?

Acadamey Gaming EU [AG] twitch.tv/brunners90

in Suggestions

tarnin.1690

Well it’s not like you’re paying monthly so if you leave, it doesn’t really matter…you can always just..you know…come back when they’ve fixed it to your standard?

The issue there is that they will look at the much smaller numbers and will just decide to NOT do anything as it won’t be worth it. It’s a vicious circle. This game makes money on in game sales (need people playing for that) and expansions (need people playing for that too).

in Suggestions

Balidore.2790

What would be, then?

For example:

I stand opposed to any mechanical advantage given to senior players over less senior players, outside of simple player skill & knowledge.

My side is… If someone can’t overcome a 50 extra healing… Then they weren’t that skilled to begin with.

Balidor [Envy]
Mesmer/Thief
NSP

in Suggestions

Sky.9347

The issue there is that they will look at the much smaller numbers and will just decide to NOT do anything as it won’t be worth it. It’s a vicious circle. This game makes money on in game sales (need people playing for that) and expansions (need people playing for that too).

I honestly don’t think GW2 is anywhere NEAR that sort of fate.

Yea, there are problems, but this game is still borderline revolutionary for the genre and has a ton of players who will stick to it for whatever reasons.

You’ll see.

in Suggestions

Sky.9347

What would be, then?

For example:

My side is… If someone can’t overcome a 50 extra healing… Then they weren’t that skilled to begin with.

Sure, that might be a valid thing to say.

But think about it the other way. If you have an extra 50 healing, how can you ever truly brag about winning or being skilled.

I would rather we have a level playing field, and wins or losses hinge on skill instead of possibly a smattering of little stat boosts which may or may not have contributed anything.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brunners.7251

Brunners.7251

You’re being such a negative nancy. In fact, every time I see you’ve posted something it’s always kittening negative.

Cheer up. The games been out a month. Is it annoying this isn’t fixed yet? Sure. Is it going to get fixed? Yep, it is. Patience is a virtue and while I understand WvW is really annoying to play right now (only if you follow the zerg, in my experience) it’s not going to be that way for ages and you should just go play something else if you’re really that frustrated with it.

Judging by the things I’ve seen you say you must REALLY hate GW2. So, why are you still here?

Yeah, it’s not cool it’s broken. Yeah it’ll get fixed. Just shh and let them do their job. What, do you just think they’re all sat twiddling their thumbs about this?

Plus, I think you’re wrong. I think if they do something and they fix it even if there isn’t many people playing at that time (I doubt it’ll ever get THAT bad), word of mouth will spread and do you know what will happen? “Hey, I’ve totally still got that game, let’s just log on and see if it’s fixed. Oh it totally is, awesome let’s play!”

Acadamey Gaming EU [AG] twitch.tv/brunners90

in Suggestions

Sky.9347

You’re being such a negative nancy. In fact, every time I see you’ve posted something it’s always kittening negative.

Cheer up. The games been out a month. Is it annoying this isn’t fixed yet? Sure. Is it going to get fixed? Yep, it is. Patience is a virtue and while I understand WvW is really annoying to play right now (only if you follow the zerg, in my experience) it’s not going to be that way for ages and you should just go play something else if you’re really that frustrated with it.

Judging by the things I’ve seen you say you must REALLY hate GW2. So, why are you still here?

Yeah, it’s not cool it’s broken. Yeah it’ll get fixed. Just shh and let them do their job. What, do you just think they’re all sat twiddling their thumbs about this?

Plus, I think you’re wrong. I think if they do something and they fix it even if there isn’t many people playing at that time (I doubt it’ll ever get THAT bad), word of mouth will spread and do you know what will happen? “Hey, I’ve totally still got that game, let’s just log on and see if it’s fixed. Oh it totally is, awesome let’s play!”

ACTUALLY… only Justice, Resolve, and Courage are virtues in GW2.

;-)

in Suggestions

Balidore.2790

What would be, then?

For example:

But think about it the other way. If you have an extra 50 healing, how can you ever truly brag about winning or being skilled.

I would rather we have a level playing field, and wins or losses hinge on skill instead of possibly a smattering of little stat boosts which may or may not have contributed anything.

I played DAoC for 6 yrs man. On my 4th yr I rerolled. Went from RR1 to RR7 mostly solo.

The reason you’re not gonna convince any of the DAoC vets, that what you’re saying is true, is because we’ve all done it. Killing a rr12 wasn’t much different than killing a rr5. Those small gains get easily overcome with skill.

So to answer your question…. yes, I’ve spent yrs being the guy on the other side, lol. It’s not a big deal. Hardly noticeable watching someone heal for 1050 rather than 1000. Crit 3% more often… etc.

Balidor [Envy]
Mesmer/Thief
NSP

in Suggestions

Posted by: EnochDagor.6185

EnochDagor.6185

I wouldn’t mind more Achievement-related stuff for WvW. They have total kills. They don’t have deaths (would be neat to see how many times I’ve died in WvW vs. PvE or PvP).

I also wouldn’t mind if they included a title of such (like Closer to the Stars) that you can work towards. The ones for WvW now seem like an after thought. People like titles (just look @ EQ2, there were like a gajillion titles in that game).

But I wholeheartedly agree that no mechanic should be in place that rewards a player with an advantage (mechanical) over any other player based on time or experience of gameplay. If I play 5 months and have the same gear, class, level and build as another player who has been playing 1 month, only skill should dictate who wins (well and the RNG at times).

80 Elementalist – Sanctum of Rall
Various other classes for figuring out how to kill em (thief, warrior, mesmer, etc…)
War is much more fun when you’re winning! – General Martok

in Suggestions

tarnin.1690

I’m calling it like I’m seeing it. Never hit over flow anymore except in LG when the W3 resets. Barely any queues to get into W3 if at all. Right there you know the numbers are down. Unfortunately with no hard numbers we are not sure (no monthly subs) and we only have xfire which is sketchy at best to know what the numbers are.

What I want to know is, with 0 progression in a very popular area, how do you expect it to continue? I already hear people saying they are getting bored with it and its been out a month. One month and bored already? That doesn’t bode well and you know it. I know most of you gen4’s and anet fanbois will down play anything but you can’t deny the population is down on all but the 3-4 top servers where tons copied too. Even if it’s just a perception that counts as it will make others leave simply due to feeling like its empty.

in Suggestions

tarnin.1690

What would be, then?

For example:

I played DAoC for 6 yrs man. On my 4th yr I rerolled. Went from RR1 to RR7 mostly solo.

The reason you’re not gonna convince any of the DAoC vets, that what you’re saying is true, is because we’ve all done it. Killing a rr12 wasn’t much different than killing a rr5. Those small gains get easily overcome with skill.

So to answer your question…. yes, I’ve spent yrs being the guy on the other side, lol. It’s not a big deal. Hardly noticeable watching someone heal for 1050 rather than 1000.

I did the same. My main was a bard, got to RR9 then made a solo eld. Got him to RR9 also and was fighting RR10+ players at the time. TONS of solo kills on that guy (assassin title). I did fine, on a visi soloing. Pretty sure any one that says it was a huge power difference was either one of the zerging bads or is really a gen4 player who never played and just wants it ezmode.

in Suggestions

Sky.9347

What would be, then?

For example:

So to answer your question…. yes, I’ve spent yrs being the guy on the other side, lol. It’s not a big deal. Hardly noticeable watching someone heal for 1050 rather than 1000. Crit 3% more often… etc.

Well, then why does it matter? Were those little boosts really that important?

It seems to me, as someone who never got into DAoC much, that the most important things you guys mention is the Realm Rank. RR7, RR10, RR12… those are really what matters to you now all these years later, and I would wager those are really what mattered to you back then.

So let’s make both of us happy. Implement all the cosmetic/aesthetic/reputation type rewards you want AND maintain the level playing field.

What if the exact same RR system was here, but instead of boosts you got access to cosmetic things NOBODY else could. Obvious things. Cool things.

in Suggestions

Balidore.2790

What would be, then?

For example:

Well, then why does it matter? Were those little boosts really that important?

It seems to me, as someone who never got into DAoC much, that the most important things you guys mention is the Realm Rank. RR7, RR10, RR12… those are really what matters to you now all these years later, and I would wager those are really what mattered to you back then.

So let’s make both of us happy. Implement all the cosmetic/aesthetic/reputation type rewards you want AND maintain the level playing field.

What if the exact same RR system was here, but instead of boosts you got access to cosmetic things NOBODY else could. Obvious things. Cool things.

The reason we like it, is because after 2-3yrs… 4-5yrs… etc… of playing. That’s the only form of pvp progression. It makes it so… everytime you accomplish something in w3, it just gives you that much more reason to want to do it.

There r tons of things in daoc i would like to see in other games, this is just the important one that made everyone want to continue playing, and continue to always better themselves.
No one is gonna go outta their way to figure out new pvp strategies, and new wvw tactics, just cuz of a cool looking sword. We need something personal out of it to continue on for a long time. A reason to strive to get better.

Balidor [Envy]
Mesmer/Thief
NSP

in Suggestions

Posted by: KuroHei.4096

KuroHei.4096

They should not have put the poi, sp, etc in WvWvW because that kinda forces a pve only player to pvp as well imo.