Story Mode dungeons = solo-able

in Suggestions

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I hope this is not an infinitely discussed topic. If so I apologize in advance.
I have seen many people frustrated with trying to find others to join a story mode dungeon. The rewards are a bit dismal for it to be something others want to do for any other reason than to help out someone.
This should be reward enough but we all know that is not the case.
I wanted to suggest that by making the storymode dungeon solo-able while still providing low rewards, it will provide many players with a much needed introduction to the particular dungeon.
The player can take their time learning the mechanics of the dungeon without the pressure to finish fast or all at one time. Meaning if RL takes them away in the middle they have to start over but no one else is penalized.
I don’t know if this is even possible but thought it was worth a mention.
Explorable mode is all that anyone wants to do for its rewards. And storymode would seem the perfect place to introduce a person to a dungeon’s particular mechanics without all the pressure.
EDIT: Just to be clear I don’t want explorable mode to be solo-able; only story mode.
Feel free to point out all that is wrong with this suggestion.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

(edited by Infernia.9847)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dark FQ.1038

Dark FQ.1038

I don t like this solo dungeon idea. But they can improve it by adding a dungeon Finder bar.

Dark Fq (Desolation and Gandara)all classes condi. http://www.youtube.com/user/FQDark

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azure Guardian.8569

Azure Guardian.8569

Dungeon Finder in future patch im pretty sure.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

I’m not sure the game mechanics are flexible enough for making a soloable dungeon, but heroes similar to GW2 would be nice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I’m not sure the game mechanics are flexible enough for making a soloable dungeon, but heroes similar to GW2 would be nice.

Seriously? The whole storyline is soloable except Arah. All it would take is nerfing hell out of the mobs to make it soloable. And to make it harder, they just button mashed 0 on the health meter anyway. Hell, they could make Destiny’s Edge fight as if they had 2 brain cells to rub together between them. That would help too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Thing is, the story mode in dungeons follows your personal story (and I use the term ‘personal’ loosely) but you don’t have to do them (outside of Arah, and they’ve stated it was their intention to do so) because they’re group oriented. So you’ll end up missing main character-specific dialogue if you don’t want to group up while playing the personal story.

What they should have done, and perhaps still can, is make a “Solo Story” option when entering the dungeon individually. This would count as completing “story” mode but would give significantly less loot (if any) and remove the guaranteed rare at the end.

Then all you have to do is add a ‘breakout event’ type buff to the player so s/he is able to face the challenges presented in story mode.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Maybe I misinterpreted your post. Sounds like you want the dungeons to be designed for one person. I was more on the lines of having game mechanics that allowed areas to be farmed solo that are also challenging to play with a group. In GW1 you could always come up with a way to use a mobs strengths against them. So even areas that were designed to be challening for 8 people could be be done with much less using the correct build and gameplay. In this game all they do to make something hard is add AOE traps with massive damage and monsters with huge HP pools.

Seriously? The whole storyline is soloable except Arah. All it would take is nerfing hell out of the mobs to make it soloable. And to make it harder, they just button mashed 0 on the health meter anyway. Hell, they could make Destiny’s Edge fight as if they had 2 brain cells to rub together between them. That would help too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Saraya Bloodrain.1284

Saraya Bloodrain.1284

IMO, I would like to be able to do all of my story line by my self. Not being able to do this is a disappointment to me. In GW1 I was able to go any were and do any thing with out Having to depend other players to get missions or story lines done. Not being able to do this part of my story line is very disappointing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

In the future when more dungeons are added, it would be nice to get some henchmen NPCs inside the entrance. Maybe the story mode of the dungeons can be tweaked in difficulty so you could choose a few henchmen and then get away with going solo with the henchmen or grouping with 2 other people to make the full group.
I suggest it because in the future story modes of these current dungeons are going to be even harder to make full groups for. And I don’t like seeing content fall into disuse.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Maybe I misinterpreted your post. Sounds like you want the dungeons to be designed for one person. I was more on the lines of having game mechanics that allowed areas to be farmed solo that are also challenging to play with a group. In GW1 you could always come up with a way to use a mobs strengths against them. So even areas that were designed to be challening for 8 people could be be done with much less using the correct build and gameplay. In this game all they do to make something hard is add AOE traps with massive damage and monsters with huge HP pools.

Just talking bout story mode. A “personal” story isn’t if you have to get a group to finish it. Now, I dun mind grouping with guildies to do it. We a teeny guild, known each other from diff game (Istaria, pre WoW stuff) so we have fun. But not everyone like grouping, no reason they should be forced to if they don’t want to play it someone else’s way. They way they were told they wouldn’t have to. Hell, I was an all solo all the time player till I made the friends I did in Istaria. We solo players play the game for the game, not the people playing it. Never played GW1, so dunno what ya reffing there. Do wish groups were bigger tho. Could run 10 man ones in Istaria. These teeny 5 man groups don’t really deserve the name group. Bit of a ramble, seems we both talking bout diff aspects of things more then disagreeing when ya get down to it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Hmm, tbh, I would also like to be able to make the storymode dungeons alone. I just want to enjoy the story at my own pace, not run after some “skip skip skip bossfight ignore cinematics already c’moon bossfight c’moon” adhd fellow.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

They really should make the story dungeons doable solo. It’s like pulling teeth to get a group for any of them, even with a guild, and I actually like watching the cinematics (especially those really long ones).

in Suggestions

Infernia.9847

Well this is going much better than I thought it would. I really thought I’d not considered some exploitable aspect of making the Storymode of the dungeons soloable.

I don’t know if devs visit the suggestions thread often but I hope they do consider this.
1- Storymode soloable with very low rewards – same type as those gotten for personal story rewards.
2 -Explorable left alone as is
3 – Storymode = introduction to the dungeon bosses, mechanics, paths. And the player can complete it alone and watch the cutscenes, leave if RL takes them away without penalty to others & without loads of pressure to rush through.
4 -win/win

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I like doing dungeons with a group, but anything that is “story” related, should be solo-able. It’s supposed to be “your” story and story was always something that was advertised as being solo-able, with the option to group for it. That turned out to be a lie (or a misrepresentation for the apologists), but it still holds that the story should be personal in nature and nothing about should require a group.

That’s why I think story mode dungeons should be fully scalable. It is set at a certain level of difficulty if you enter it alone, but rises to accommodate anyone you choose to bring with you, just like any other story step. If you bring 5 people with you, it would scale to it’s current difficulty. Completing with any less than 5 people would not qualify for the achievement so running it as it is now would still be necessary for the Dungeon Master title.

Bottom line is that the story was advertised as being single player content. Dungeon story modes should fall into that category, as should the final mission. Bringing friends in to play it with you should always remain an option, never a requirement. 5-man “Story” runs should have their difficulty increased to match the explorable paths, and their rewards should be boosted to match, to give players even more dungeon options. Whoever runs story mode a second time, unless it’s as a favor to someone else? This would give them a reason to do so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Geniekid.2645

Geniekid.2645

As suggested by others, I agree with the idea that story mode should offer better rewards for those who are completing it a second time or more. Maybe 30 dungeon tokens so that they’re still lower priority than running explorable, but higher priority than running explorable twice in one day.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

Or maybe people should just use
Http://www.gw2lfg.com
Which might I add Arena Net Dev and Mod team supports this site and will more than likely be implemented somehow into the games interface in later patches

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

Which might I add Arena Net Dev and Mod team supports this site and will more than likely be implemented somehow into the games interface in later patches

Please, do read the thread.
For most, it’s not a matter of “Can’t find group” it’s a matter of “It’s personal”

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible

in Suggestions

Posted by: De Dam.2961

De Dam.2961

I would prefer a 2-man setting instead of solo, also , a dungeon finder ruins the game, just look at WoW and learn from their mistakes.
If you dont want to take the time to get a group via chat ? use : www.GW2LFG.com

Check out my Guild Wars 2 video’s, and more :)
http://www.youtube.com/dedam85

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

For most, it’s not a matter of “Can’t find group” it’s a matter of “It’s personal”

Really that is the argument your going to go with it is “Personal” LOL. Maybe if people were waiting days upon days to get into a dungeon I would agree, but with the www.gw2lfg.com people hardly have to wait longer than 10 minutes.

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

Really that is the argument your going to go with it is “Personal” LOL. Maybe if people were waiting days upon days to get into a dungeon I would agree, but with the www.gw2lfg.com people hardly have to wait longer than 10 minutes.

Uhm, I guess you’re missing the point here entirely. Reading the thread would, indeed, help.

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

No I get the point of the thread, I made comment to one aspect, but this is not GW1 we have no hero’s, Arena Net is pushing for group play not solo play, Maybe as you put it, “reading release notes from developers” Would have informed you that they are not doing the solo play. SO why when they developed the game for group play would they go back to Solo play they strove to remove any how? Why because your anti social, you can’t play with others? The excuse of it is a personal story is a silly argument. That was my original statement to that side of the issue, when you brought it forth, I didn’t realize I needed to type this much out to get people to realize that. There is no solo play when it comes to dungeons plain and simple, there are in fact many games out there that can give you that ( Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Borderlands ) to list a few, if that is what your wanting then you can honestly get your fill of it there, as far as Guild Wars 2 is involved it will not be the case.

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

No I get the point of the thread, I made comment to one aspect, but this is not GW1 we have no hero’s, Arena Net is pushing for group play not solo play, Maybe as you put it, “reading release notes from developers” Would have informed you that they are not doing the solo play. SO why when they developed the game for group play would they go back to Solo play they strove to remove any how? Why because your anti social, you can’t play with others? The excuse of it is a personal story is a silly argument. That was my original statement to that side of the issue, when you brought it forth, I didn’t realize I needed to type this much out to get people to realize that. There is no solo play when it comes to dungeons plain and simple, there are in fact many games out there that can give you that ( Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Borderlands ) to list a few, if that is what your wanting then you can honestly get your fill of it there, as far as Guild Wars 2 is involved it will not be the case.

There we go, that addressed the majority of arguments presented here way better than pointing at gw2lfg.com, which we all know and use already.

As for reading dev’s comments, I did read each of the blog posts while waiting for GW2. Yes, the open world is meant for group play, story is supposed to be soloable.

Storymode dungeons fall somewhere in between imo, they’re not exactly vital for the personal story, but still present a story. And a lot of people are interested in the dungeon storyline. And a lot of those people wish to enjoy the storyline the dungeons present. What is so wrong with that?

As for your original argument, I got no idea what you are talking about. Maybe your original post got deleted, but to me, it looks like your original argument on the subject was:

Which has pretty much nothing to do with the rest of the thread.

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

There we go, that addressed the majority of arguments presented here way better than pointing at gw2lfg.com, which we all know and use already.

As for reading dev’s comments, I did read each of the blog posts while waiting for GW2. Yes, the open world is meant for group play, story is supposed to be soloable.

Storymode dungeons fall somewhere in between imo, they’re not exactly vital for the personal story, but still present a story. And a lot of people are interested in the dungeon storyline. And a lot of those people wish to enjoy the storyline the dungeons present. What is so wrong with that?

As for your original argument, I got no idea what you are talking about. Maybe your original post got deleted, but to me, it looks like your original argument on the subject was:

Which has pretty much nothing to do with the rest of the thread.

That was my original post and that is because the Ideal of making Dungeon story modes soloable is silly. It takes away from what Arena Net had intended, which was group play.

Havign a personal story which can be done solo, but is highly supported for group play, is a lot different than the Story mode of dungeons. Seeing as the Story Mode on Dungeons ( out side of Arah ) has nothing to do with the players at all, Minus your interaction with the members of DE. The Story mode dungeons are all about how DE gets back together and why they were broken apart for the people that didn’t go to the wiki or pick up the novels and read them. Ergo they have nothing to do with ones PERSONAL story. The Members of DE never even directly address you, unlike is your personal story where it is commander or what ever rank you are of your Order. You are just another body that is talking like the 5 other NPC’s

And a lot of those people wish to enjoy the storyline the dungeons present. What is so wrong with that?

So how does making a Story mode dungeon soloable by a player make a dungeon enjoyable? Since you can easily do it with 4 other people and get the same experience ( IE: no one can make you skip the cut scenes, no one can make you miss the banter, or conversations), so what other reasons are there ( other than Anti-social ) do you have for making Story Mode a solo effort?

This ^ ^ ^ is the reason why I stated from the get go about gw2lfg.com

(edited by Kaimick.5109)

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

That was my original post and that is because the Ideal of making Dungeon story modes soloable is silly. It takes away from what Arena Net had intended, which was group play.

They obviously didn’t intend the whole game as group play, other story elements (personal story) is already soloable.

Havign a personal story which can be done solo, but is highly supported for group play,

Supported? Yes. Promoted? No.

is a lot different than the Story mode of dungeons. Seeing as the Story Mode on Dungeons ( out side of Arah ) has nothing to do with the players at all, Minus your interaction with the members of DE. The Story mode dungeons are all about how DE gets back together and why they were broken apart for the people that didn’t go to the wiki or pick up the novels and read them. Ergo they have nothing to do with ones PERSONAL story.

So, a story isn’t worth listening to if it is not about you? And you claimed we make silly arguments.

So how does making a Story mode dungeon soloable by a player make a dungeon enjoyable? Since you can easily do it with 4 other people and get the same experience ( IE: no one can make you skip the cut scenes, no one can make you miss the banter, or conversations), so what other reasons are there ( other than Anti-social ) do you have for making Story Mode a solo effort?

Ughm, I guess you do not see my point, so here is an example in real life terms:
You are driving a car with 4 other people in it. 3 of them are sitting in the back seat, 1 next to you. The one next to you is constantly nitpicking on your driving style. 2 of the folks in the back are fighting among themselves, 1 ADHD kid is telling you constantly that you drive too slowly.
Now, why do you drive with these 4 people? I’d want to throw them out, they’re not even related to me. Besides, all 4 of them are going to the different destination eventually, and you’ll have to find another 4 to drive on.
All I want to do is enjoy the ride, at my own pace, without someone complaining constantly, or jumping around, or shouting to someone’s face.

Also, they can force you to skip the cut scenes by threating to kick you.

And they can make you lose all the progress by doing the jerk move and kicking you before the last boss to invite their own buddies.

So how does making a Story mode dungeon soloable by a player make a dungeon enjoyable? Since you can easily do it with 4 other people and get the same experience

Besides, if you think it is totally the same wether you do it with 4 other people, or solo, you shouldn’t have anything against this. O.o

Do you have any actual arguments against this, other than just trying to defeat the for-side arguments? And “it’s anti-social” isn’t really an argument for nor against, if that is the preferred playstyle of some, they should allow it. ANet did advertice with playing the way you want after all.

(edited by Fred Fargone.3127)

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

They obviously didn’t intend the whole game as group play, other story elements (personal story) is already soloable.

Are you making arguments for your self in my name? I never said the who game was group orientated

What ever that means, no.

Havign a personal story which can be done solo, but is highly supported for group play,

Supported? Yes. Promoted? No.

This is you trying to troll me huh?? HUH? I see what you did there… YOU DIDN"T READ no where in there did I say PROMOTED no where…. thanks come again.

Eh… Maybe it is the time to read my signature at the bottom of each of my post?
I never said that you said it was promoted. I simply stated that whilst group play is supported for the personal story, playing in groups (for personal story) is not promoted at all, and most people do the personal story solo.

So, a story isn’t worth listening to if it is not about you? And you claimed we make silly arguments.

At what point in time or during my post did I say this AT ALL ??

Right around here:

Ergo they have nothing to do with ones PERSONAL story.

I am not quoting your last paragraph but let me break it down for you
Your Anti-Social

Oh yes, personal insults are the best way to win the argument over the internetz.

Cause I have never been threaten to be kicked out of a dungeon

I didn’t say I was, I was merely pointing out that it is possible to force someone to skip cutscenes, where you claimed it was not.

The only viable reason for wanting to do a dungeon solo is cause you can’t find a group to do Story mode, and that is fixed with GW2LFG.com. I have even stated to groups never gotten a chance to really watch the cinematic so I am going to watch them. People don’t care and if they do you need to find a better guild or find some friends to play with.

Well, there is the point of solo = more enjoyable which you didn’t seem to address at all here. So I guess we can agree on that then?

(edited by Fred Fargone.3127)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I love the idea of soloable dungeons, and was really happy to see a handful of games taking the first step towards the future by implementing them. The archaic system of requiring x number of other players is a major hindrance to what would otherwise by an awesome system.

IMO, the dungeons should scale to fit the number of players in the dungeon. More players = more difficulty = more loot to compensate. Single players should still get a chance at seeing an awesome exotic item or something, but not as often as a group of players. This would mean that if you want to go in with 1 person or as a duo you can, or if you want to go in as a full 20+ man guild you can.

Static dungeons are a very old concept, and it’s about time for an upgrade. I can’t imagine future MMOs will have to worry about discussions like “Please implement raids” or “Please implement solo dungeons”.

You can’t stop progress!

in Suggestions

Infernia.9847

^^ I get the idea and like it. Either solo or 20+ which is great on paper. It will take a really good game engine to pull off the 20+.
AI seems to be the biggest hurdle. The AI is not easy to program for and what is really needed is an AI that is evolving with the players’ level of skill. Or evolving based upon an ever expanding internal table of learned behaviors that produce predictable results.

Fact is not many want to do Storymode, in this game, as it is right now.

Sure there is lfg and there are guilds that will take that trip just for the new people that need them. It doesn’t take away the pressure of the rush through mentality or the pressure from not learning a particular boss mechanic quickly.
Maybe if they made rewards like mobs dropping dungeon tokens (even if its just 1-3 tokens RNG style), people would be interested in running them. I don’t know the answer. I just suggested making them soloable because in the prior GW installment there was the option and it may be easier to implement.

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

^^ I get the idea and like it. Either solo or 20+ which is great on paper. It will take a really good game engine to pull off the 20+.
AI seems to be the biggest hurdle. The AI is not easy to program for and what is really needed is an AI that is evolving with the players’ level of skill. Or evolving based upon an ever expanding internal table of learned behaviors that produce predictable results.

Fact is not many want to do Storymode, in this game, as it is right now.

Sure there is lfg and there are guilds that will take that trip just for the new people that need them. It doesn’t take away the pressure of the rush through mentality or the pressure from not learning a particular boss mechanic quickly.
Maybe if they made rewards like mobs dropping dungeon tokens (even if its just 1-3 tokens RNG style), people would be interested in running them. I don’t know the answer. I just suggested making them soloable because in the prior GW installment there was the option and it may be easier to implement.

I understand your hesitation I had the same till I really got to know the GW2Lfg.com. I can go and put in a lfg there ( depending on time of day ) for any story mode dungeon and usually only be waiting 5 to 10 minutes. If the time of day is awful I could be waiting 20 to 30 minutes, although this gives me time to do what ever I like while I wait. Here are a few suggestions when making your lfg there.

• I am a new runner to the ( insert dungeon )
  • Do not wish to be rushed
  • Not skipping mobs
    I promise you if you add this text in your lfg you will get the non stressful groups.

Also the reason why Guild Wars had solo – able dungeons was because of the Hero system was present. This is not the case in Guild Wars 2, Now I can’t find it so I may be wrong, but Arena Net did say they have no intentions on bringing back the hero system in Guild Wars 2, they want to focus on group play when it comes to dungeons and some other aspects of the game. Now if in the future they add a hero system I am sure you will see your dungeons Solo – able, although until then My suggestion about LFG.com should work for you just fine.

I know this was not the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps you.

in Suggestions

Infernia.9847

I do appreciate the answer. It is a viable solution for the problem of looking for runs for Storymode dungeons.
I do like the fact that Anet wants to keep to the group-play-mentality for dungeons and explorable mode, in my opinion, should not be solo-able.
This thread was only meant as a suggestion for those that wanted a slow paced introduction to each of the dungeons; a learning experience free from pressure.

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

I do appreciate the answer. It is a viable solution for the problem of looking for runs for Storymode dungeons.
I do like the fact that Anet wants to keep to the group-play-mentality for dungeons and explorable mode, in my opinion, should not be solo-able.
This thread was only meant as a suggestion for those that wanted a slow paced introduction to each of the dungeons; a learning experience free from pressure.

I understand, and there are sometimes now even though I know all the dungeons I want that also, I just put that as stipulations in my lfg notes. Sometimes it lengthens the time you have to wait but in the end it is a pressure free run.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

I would love to see story mode soloable, the basis is already there as you have destinys edge people with you and the whole idea of the storymode is to follow the big story missions which involve your character going up in ranks.

The fact that the final mission is a team only in the main story is a big kick in the teeth, spent all that time following the story to become the commander and suddenly its someone else being talked to as the commander in the cutscenes?

Then you have the story mode dungeon runs which are worked into the story where the characters talk familiarly with you… or some random person you’ve never seen before in your life and are talked to as if they where you. Its rather breaking in the immersion of the story.

Of course if they made story modes solo I’d probably prefer if they made storymode 1 time only, after that you have the group explore mode to repeat.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I think there should be a soloable, a group style story (the one now), and the explore. The soloable would be similar to story but for players who cannot find groups or want to experience the dungeon minus the stress. Rewards would go:

Solo:Ok (more about experience and learning) Maybe even a daily boss chest from here.
Story:Good (group content should be rewarded, especially for a mode that most dont do)
Explore:Great- rares, and good loot for everyone as this is harder than the rest.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solaria.4503

Solaria.4503

I believe most that wants the story to be solo able because they want the experience being there getting through the fight on their own term, it is an achievement and an accomplishment to be able to do that on your own or with your buddies, not some strangers who never fight along side you through the story in the game.

Being able to solo this, is an experience all to yourself or shared with your buddies not anyone else. If it is just a story, one can just go watch YouTube and done with the story. We don’t really need to buy GW2.

GW2 had made personal story at the beginning solo able then all the sudden hit you with a brick at the end, oh no you can’t do this anymore, that is where everyone disappointed with. If personal story is about group play then start it at the beginning allow players ease into group playing but then they need to rename it to world story or group story something like that, it isn’t personal anymore in my opinion.

The story ending was badly placed with the good intention of GW2 wanting us player to play together. It could have been an open world event or a tune down dungeon story mode with lesser loot if Anet so eager want people to play dungeons or have the story end differently. There are a lot of ways to make this workout for everyone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blur.3465

Blur.3465

I completely agree with this.
Story-mode dungeons should be solo-able.
The last mission with Zhaitan really put me down when I saw that it required 5 players to join…not to mention how hard it is to find a team for story modes now…
I really hope that Arena Net consider this and allow us to be able to solo story mode dungeons…
I personally don’t care about rewards, they can lower them as much as they wish…I want to have an enjoyable experience inside these dungeons, enjoy the story and enjoy with a few friends while doing them.

Feanor

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The difficulty with providing a solo/duo mode for dungeons is that players take that as the easiest option and groups for story dungeons will vanish entirely. This is what happened in other MMOs. Given that the personal story works as solo content, regardless of the story dungeons, I’d rather see a group finder tool solve all problems creating groups everywhere. I cannot believe that across a week, across all servers, there will not be enough people to run story mode dungeons. I’d rather see new dungeons developed rather than any tampering with the story modes, since the story modes are generally good dungeons.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

The difficulty with providing a solo/duo mode for dungeons is that players take that as the easiest option and groups for story dungeons will vanish entirely. This is what happened in other MMOs. Given that the personal story works as solo content, regardless of the story dungeons, I’d rather see a group finder tool solve all problems creating groups everywhere. I cannot believe that across a week, across all servers, there will not be enough people to run story mode dungeons. I’d rather see new dungeons developed rather than any tampering with the story modes, since the story modes are generally good dungeons.

Its not about how easy it is to get a story mode group its how jarring having a story mode group is to anyone actually trying to follow and feel immersed in their personal story.

Doing your missions your helping the destinys edge and you get a person email about the dungeon, you head there and get a group and the characters completely ignore you for who ever it chose to make the “leader” of the dungeon… kind of disappointing, with Arah story being THE most fundamental wtf moment that occurs from this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Any other mission in the person story is solo-able with NPC’s to help you. But when you get to some of the dungeons the game doesn’t give those personal story NPC’s to help you.

If the story mode of dungeons is really part of the personal story. Then the personal story NPC allies should be there to help us.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mogturmen.2638

Mogturmen.2638

I don t like this solo dungeon idea. But they can improve it by adding a dungeon Finder bar.

I like it, especially if it’s scaled down. All dungeons could be solo-able, but the rewards wouldn’t be nearly as bountiful as they would be if you did it with others.

The only exception to this case is the personal story dungeon. I LOATHE the fact that you spend all this time building up a pact only to have to find a group to help you with the final mission. I really believe they need to tweak it given it’s my PERSONAL story. Also, as the original poster pointed out, the rewards for people helping are pretty crummy, so why bother?

I hope to see, at very least, the personal story dungeon tweaks to allow it to be soloed given that every other mission up to that point was solo able it just makes sense.

-Mog

in Suggestions

Posted by: Libertine.1047

Libertine.1047

I whole-heartedly agree with the idea to make story missions soloable. It is a real chore to get a group for them (even from gw2lfg).

Another option would of course be to award story mode dungeons with tokens. Not sure which option would be better in the end, but I think something has to change

P.S. I actually left the game for a month because I couldn’t find anyone to do CM story and got frustrated on my first character.