Suggestion: Remove Red and Blue armor dyes in sPvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: xBeefy.4073

xBeefy.4073

As the title suggestions, I don’t really feel its necessary to ruin the look of my character every game by coating my entire armor set in blue or red. The enemy players have red name tags above their heads, and friendly players are green.

This is the accepted way of identifying the enemy in almost every single game I’ve ever played, and it works just fine.

League of Legends, no colors.
WoW arenas, no colors.
CoD, no colors.
GoW, no colors.
etc.

EDIT: WvW as someone pointed out, has no colors differentiating different servers. Just red name tags. It works within the bounds of the game. Please fix it for sPvP as well.

The point is that we all work hard for gear that gives us no statistical advantage whatsoever. This is completely fine, and I like it. However, don’t take away the one thing I’m farming this gear for, the looks. If I can only enjoy the appearance of my PvP character in the Mists lobby, what’s even the point?

I spend a very small fraction of my time in the lobby. I should at least be able to show off my armor and color scheme while I’m fighting.

I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death, but it is a big concern of mine, being taken away from the one thing we’re striving to achieve; cool looking armor.

(edited by xBeefy.4073)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oddjobs.9215

Oddjobs.9215

Agreed, getting a cool set of armor, rare dyes and weapons are basically the only thing we have to look forward to as a reward for pvp(aside from pvp itself). Why lessin our reward by splashing our neat shiny gear in ugly blue and red. Name colors should be enough to differentiate teams. Thanks

in Suggestions

Posted by: DJPenguin.6945

DJPenguin.6945

it’s the biggest troll to get armor dyes in pvp chests and not be able to use them in pvp

in Suggestions

Posted by: Warmage Timeraider.5861

Warmage Timeraider.5861

/signed … tbh… last uhmm.. 22 glory ranks i believe.. i NEVER EVER noticed some1 was an enemy due to the fact he wore a different dye.. NEVER.
Yust removing those standard dyes would make pvp more rewarding since you not only are able to get cooler looking pvp gear, but also customise it to your own style

good post
Timeraider- 80 Norn Elementalist – 80 Norn Engineer
epic-timeraider.weebly.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: Game.3085

Game.3085

yeah remove em and make it like world vs world

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cosmic Teapot.9162

Cosmic Teapot.9162

Suggestion: Post in the suggestion forum.

Team should easily be discerned without any aid from a user interface.

exp.
Tf2
Unreal Tournament
Counter-Strike
Day of Defeat
etc.

/thread

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xahz.8406

Xahz.8406

exp.
Tf2
Unreal Tournament
Counter-Strike
Day of Defeat
etc.

/thread

Why on earth would you use CS as an example of easily discernible teams? T and CT look almost identical from any respectable distance and friendly fire is off 99% of the time for a reason.

Red names = enemy and green names = ally is more than enough to tell teams apart. I don’t know why they give us dye in PvP and the only use for it is standing around the mists

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

You’re saying that a tiny floating name that moves faster than a skritt in a mirror shop is more noticeable than the color of the body itself. It helps out a tremendous amount, especially in close quarters. I’m guessing you’re primarily ranged, since as a melee this is a much needed asset.

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Yes, Kita. You can’t even notice the dull colors. Red tagged names are much more noticeable.

I agree with OP.

/signed

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

This would be nice, I dislike having either hot red or neon blue armor. In GW1 the color of ones cape was used for team color. Unfortunately there is no cape in GW2 :<.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Suggestions

Posted by: Serp.3264

Serp.3264

I agree. The blue/red dye dynamic is not needed.

S3rP
Leader of Eastern Wind [EW]
Yak’s Bend Server

in Suggestions

xBeefy.4073

exp.
Tf2
Unreal Tournament
Counter-Strike
Day of Defeat
etc.

/thread

None of the games you listed include a customizable character where color actually matters. If the red nameplate isn’t enough to discern it then why did they change WvW from color coated players to simply wearing the normal colors in PvE? Obviously at some point someone decided “hey, they can tell JUST by looking at the names!”

And don’t feed me this excuse that “the character should be discernible apart from the UI.” The nameplate over a character’s head is as part of the character as his arms and legs are. It’s blatantly obvious.

It ruins customization and defeats the purpose of getting cool gear. The only goal to achieve in PvP is to earn cool gear as it stands right now. Why take that away?

It’s not even a dye thing. What it comes down to is if you dye your armor 1 color flat out, it becomes indistinguishable and bland.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jest.9276

Jest.9276

The colored armor sets will make the game much easier to follow for NEW spectators once Anet moves forwards with its plans for E sport.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zadawn.2471

Zadawn.2471

i completely agree and i feel the same as you.

PvP only folk can’t take advantage of the colouring system at all.

Lets say i despise pve and i buy the game to only play structured PvP,if that’s so then the colouring system is like non existent for me because i won’t be able to make use of it anyway.

in Suggestions

Zadawn.2471

The colored armor sets will make the game much easier to follow for NEW spectators once Anet moves forwards with its plans for E sport.

Hey bro i remember buying a game not a TV show.

in Suggestions

Jest.9276

We all bought the game. The fact is SPvP is built around becoming an Esport. I’m not opposed to having our personalized colors show but there is a legitimate reason for the color scheme and no one in the thread acknowledged it, so I did.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olkyr.4821

Olkyr.4821

We all bought the game. The fact is SPvP is built around becoming an Esport. I’m not opposed to having our personalized colors show but there is a legitimate reason for the color scheme and no one in the thread acknowledged it, so I did.

Then esport tournaments can use basic colours. As for the rest of us it should be a choice.

in Suggestions

Zadawn.2471

Then esport tournaments can use basic colours. As for the rest of us it should be a choice.

Exactly this.

in Suggestions

xBeefy.4073

Why can’t spectator mode ONLY implement this?

in Suggestions

Posted by: jmz.9162

jmz.9162

I’ve forgot if I’m red or blue more than once. This doesn’t affect targeting cause yes, bright red names over their heads gives it away faster than the color of their armor. I know what color I want to turn the points into based on what side I spawn (although this wouldn’t help if they roll out new maps) but I just don’t see how else you would know that the red things should be blue (or vice versa) if you don’t have something besides the scoreboard to direct you.

All that said, I’m sure I just came off sounding bad as hell, and I do think the main point everyone is making of unlocking skins and dyes and having it not matter has tons of weight. I’m positive I’d adapt anyway. So signed.

*jmz on the gw2 wiki
*Twitter @ohitsjmz

in Suggestions

Posted by: yangshindo.1527

yangshindo.1527

As everyone here I find the armour recolor useless and annoying.
Name tags should do it like EVERY other game.
Right now these color schemes for sPvP just makes GW2 UGLY.
And if the Esports is the reason. Make only spectators able to view the full red/blue costumes or “official tournament streamed games” using that crap premade colors.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Neara.4378

Neara.4378

Old discussion, curious if there will ever be a change to this color coding system. At least the spectators watching all of our games have an easy time distinguishing the teams, right?

There should be a toggle. Oh, let’s be nostalgic: Capes. No? Meow.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Locke.9867

Locke.9867

great idea, agree with OP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Savaj.4683

Savaj.4683

Remove current colors and create better nameplates, the current ones are just that bad, no health bar except for your target or awfully close enemies.
Get these better nameplates, and then add a class icon on it, since the only way to sort a class or another right now is by targetting it, since each class of armor is wearable by 3 different classes, only one that sticks out right now are enges with backpack.
It makes the game quite awkward.
Anyway, signed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lewk.8359

Lewk.8359

When i saw the colored armor in the beta, i thought it was just a beta thing. i was pretty surprised that it made it into live game. please allow us to dye!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Agreed. In Guild Wars 1 we only had our capes change color, and I doubt anyone was seriously looking at player capes to see which team they were on. I don’t think I ever did, after earning some 18 million balthazar faction. Now the argument can be made that players now have more options to hide and make themselves more difficult to see than in GW1, but as this thread makes it clear, most players still seem to refer to the name colors to differentiate between allies and enemies.

Obviously GW2 is a better looking game than GW1, and the armor/dyeing system has been greatly expanded upon. Further, the main reward of sPvP (besides glory, the in game currency and the idea of it) is to unlock rarer, more visually impressive pieces of gear. By reducing these rewards to full red/blue dye in matches I am sure many players will lose the desire to pursue the rewards at all, thus damaging the appeal and potential of sPvP.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cosmic Teapot.9162

Cosmic Teapot.9162

exp.
Tf2
Unreal Tournament
Counter-Strike
Day of Defeat
etc.

/thread

None of the games you listed include a customizable character where color actually matters. If the red nameplate isn’t enough to discern it then why did they change WvW from color coated players to simply wearing the normal colors in PvE? Obviously at some point someone decided “hey, they can tell JUST by looking at the names!”

And don’t feed me this excuse that “the character should be discernible apart from the UI.” The nameplate over a character’s head is as part of the character as his arms and legs are. It’s blatantly obvious.

It ruins customization and defeats the purpose of getting cool gear. The only goal to achieve in PvP is to earn cool gear as it stands right now. Why take that away?

It’s not even a dye thing. What it comes down to is if you dye your armor 1 color flat out, it becomes indistinguishable and bland.

I suppose tf2 is the only distinctly relevant example I listed since it has a red vs blue team colors, a very similar crafting system, vanity gear, and dyes (which only work on your hat I believe).

I’m fairly confident that in guild wars 2 lore people don’t have magical health bars floating over their heads. They are in the game as part of the user interface. I suppose this depends on the your definition of user interface though. I don’t consider my character’s head to be part of the user interface. I do consider a health bar that is only visible when certain criteria are met such as range, what in game options I’m using, etc. to be part of the user interface.

Anyway, virtually every team vs team competition from quizbowl to Olympic badminton involves team colors. That’s the way it is in guild wars 2 and I believe it will continue to be that way.

I personally wish the game was solely structured pvp with no vanity items or character size discrepancies. I realize that is minority opinion so let’s just accept the fact that we have differing opinions and leave it at that.

in Suggestions

Jest.9276

Why can’t spectator mode ONLY implement this?

I don’t work for Anet, so I couldn’t tell you. Again, All I was doing was offering up the most likely reason it exists. I’m not saying there’s not other ways to do things or whether it’s even necessary.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dallas.2536

Dallas.2536

signed

no matter what you’re wearing you look like an ugly apple or a smurf

Lysander – Anvil Rock

in Suggestions

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

Please keep the dyes. Otherwise PVP would be too chaotic to target and identify players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LordsOfSkulls.9648

LordsOfSkulls.9648

i agree they should make it like in WvW.

As well, make it so at Character Screen you can see or Tab to change the look which version of ur character appears at character selection between SPVP and PVE.

The problem is it kinda takes fun out of seeing ur level 2 Warrior in Full Armageddon Suit still have their starter armor on in Character Selection SCreen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zslash.7845

Zslash.7845

i agree, i look cool in “lobby” but when in a match, its same old UGLYYYY red or blue :S

in Suggestions

Posted by: TinyWeeny.4215

TinyWeeny.4215

What about the color blind!

I can never tell what the kitten is going on!

in Suggestions

Posted by: miracle.4216

miracle.4216

I agree, get rid of the dyes! There was never a need for them in GW1.

You have RED and BLUE NAMES floating above your head for goodness sakes, that should be to quickly identify an enemy player if necessary, not only that but you are also provided with target nearest enemy buttons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dxx.7156

Dxx.7156

If you really care about this I would suggest getting some fresh air and probably some exercise.

in Suggestions

Posted by: miracle.4216

miracle.4216

I just came home from a 3 hour work out at the gym and still don’t like looking at my sexy armor drenched in red or blue dye, thanks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Warmage Timeraider.5861

Warmage Timeraider.5861

I just came home from a 3 hour work out at the gym and still don’t like looking at my sexy armor drenched in red or blue dye, thanks.

Haha, true.. true

The fact that it proved it wasnt needed at GW1 and the fact that its ruining the customisation feature and desire to get cooler gear at higher ranks shows… colours aint needed!

Timeraider- 80 Norn Elementalist – 80 Norn Engineer
epic-timeraider.weebly.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: psykobabble.8095

psykobabble.8095

yah.. i’m not a big fan of being red after i have a crap ton of great dyes in my bag

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Yes,this really needs to be removed,i really dont like how my char looks in red/blue.Its not needed,the big red bar above people’s head is enough to tell whos friend or foe,the same in WvwvW right ? I mean,we can see whos enemy or friend there..do you really think we’ll get confused in pvp matches if the blue/red is removed ?.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Instead of removing it, have a toggle for it. That way, if you actually use the armor colors to see who is on what team, you can still do it.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Why not identify team members using these! in red and blue instead of taking away the only incentive for playing sPVP at all.

in Suggestions

xBeefy.4073

Instead of removing it, have a toggle for it. That way, if you actually use the armor colors to see who is on what team, you can still do it.

This is a perfect idea. This x1000000

in Suggestions

Posted by: Feral Spirit.1572

Feral Spirit.1572

+1 here totally agree

in Suggestions

Posted by: Y u mad its vydia.6324

Y u mad its vydia.6324

I agree that this needs to be removed. Games that differentiate teams by color do it for their own reasons. Usually it’s because the teams are different, or for lore reasons. No one is looking at player color in serious games, that takes way too long. Uniforms in war (camo excluded) exist for friendlies, not for enemies. Since there’s no friendly fire, no need for this.

Malaakh. [EU] Desolation.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Serp.3264

Serp.3264

This is a really good idea. It will also allow for a toggle for when they want to do an e-sport event.

S3rP
Leader of Eastern Wind [EW]
Yak’s Bend Server

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alex Kelley.2748

Alex Kelley.2748

I’m going to be the odd one out and disagree with this idea. Contrary to what the majority seems to believe, the visible differentiation between teams affects PvP gameplay more than you’d think. It’s a universal mechanic used in every MMO I can think of, and even in team-based sports in the real world. Think about it. How confusing would it be if every player in a basketball game wore a different jersey, but there were really only two teams?

And as for hovering nameplates – those disappear if the person is beyond a certain distance away from you.

If anything, I like Vorch’s idea for the option to turn them off. But I think most people would find this affects their gameplay negatively more than positively. But hey, who cares how well you play as long as you look pretty!

(edited by Alex Kelley.2748)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oddjobs.9215

Oddjobs.9215

I cant stand these colors, please consider this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

NO its hard enough time trying to make out whos friend or foe without capes.
Those colours need to be brighter if anything, or glowing like in tron lol

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eli Stormstrike.8637

Eli Stormstrike.8637

Support this. Why would we get dyes in PvP when we can’t use them IN PvP?

Also, the whole point of endgame is to look shiny, why is our gear splashed in blue and red and green colours in sPvP and WvW?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

At least let us have a toggle option. Also, I love the cape idea! Why in the world do we not have capes in this game?! We have hair, terrain, plants, ect., that all move on motion/collision, and yet there are no awesome capes to add to the list.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, ANET!