Talk about add/don't add mounts to GuildWars2

in Suggestions

Posted by: GCleonardo.3947

GCleonardo.3947

I’m reading allot of theards and i don’t know why people saying:
No, this isn’t world of warcraft.
WRONG! (for me)

Why you people saying all the time: No,this isn’t world of warcraft, allot more games
got mounts and they aren’t screw up.
Let’s say:

-Tera (got mounts and because of that it have more players and tera’s got fee and allot of people playing it)

-RIFT (got mounts and don’t lose players but get players)

-World Of Warcraft (got mounts.I can’t say more because then you guys gonna
say something bad to me)

There can’t be wrong if mounts be added.And i don’t know what is wrong with them
if you don’t want don’t mount walk.
This games got waypoints and mounts.
If you want i tell more leave the comment.

Add me on skype: leonardo-3001
Add me on PSN: aztecasleonardo and flame300
Pm me on leonardo.cus@gmail.com

in Suggestions

GCleonardo.3947

My comment:
please add mounts just for few weeks/days...

in Suggestions

Posted by: Straylight.7408

Straylight.7408

I don’t think it’s a question about right or wrong when talking about mounts in Guild Wars 2.

The design philosphy behind the traveling system focuses on waypoints. Adding a new traveling system on top of that would defeat that purpose. Guild Wars 2 wants to be different than other MMO’s. This is one of the many differences and I doubt they’ll change it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

plus the amount of money you would spend on mounts you spend on way points. Is every post you have or at least I have seen thus far is about making GW2 more into World of Warcraft. WHy? If you are still in love with World of Warcraft then go back and play it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Evogelion.3879

Evogelion.3879

^ I agree with Kaimick. You’re just looking for a WoW 2.0

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

For the love of god… Please use the search bar. It exists for a reason. Stop posting useless junk on the forums. Searching “mounts” would show it’s been suggested countless times before.

Summation of points pro/con mounts (may have missed a few):
Pros:
Another gold sink
Gives perma speed boost to get around quickly without waypoints
Collectible/aesthetic appeal
Potential gem-store skins for more money for the devs.
Cons:
Waypoints make mounts redundant
Minis essentially take their place as collectibles
Most classes can already maintain perma-swiftness
It takes away from the philosophy of having players casually jump into DE’s they find due to the cost/inconvenience of dismounting

Edit: Forgot to put my opinion in.
No… no…. aaaaand no to mounts. I’m glad to not see people riding obscenely flashy, huge status symbols for all the “cons” listed above. To me, the pros don’t justify the time and effort that it would take to implement mounts in the first place. I’d rather the devs spend their time on quality content.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

(edited by ExTribble.7108)

in Suggestions

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

If you had a mount, would it REALLY change your travel time that much?
Nearly everyone can get perma/near-perma swiftness, or use a 25% signet already.
So if it doesn’t really help you move from place to place a whole lot better, it’s still a LOT faster to just use the WP.
So you’re still paying to use the WPs but now you also paid for a mount that is made obsolete by said WPs.

in Suggestions

GCleonardo.3947

I am want to tell mounts are great thing.
WP are awsome and i don’t want to remove them.
But why not mounts for better look to walk around.
And can be added races for them.
I’m gonna be... :S

in Suggestions

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

Swiftness buff should be always on in pve environment when you are OOC

in Suggestions

Posted by: axel.6013

axel.6013

And flying mounts would make it much easier for you to discover vistas.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rainzar.6905

Rainzar.6905

Swiftness buff should be always on in pve environment when you are OOC

you mean like they added to swtor cos they realised there was so much frigging running around it was a huge time sink.

back ontopic, more mount threads! go

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pine.6298

Pine.6298

I come from the land of City of Heroes, where every player could zip around with super speed, fly over the City, or even leap over buildings in a single bound. I can no longer play my favorite game because of NCSoft did what it did. So I had to move on, however, I very much miss that feeling of being able to super speed around the mission/zone.

I play a mesmer atm, and the only way to get swiftness is to use the focus, which is my opinion the second worst weapon mesmers get, or use blink. Other than those two options, I have to crawl around, getting attacked every 5 feet which leads to being crippled, immobilized and the like. It just gets bothersome after a while.

I am currently level 76, with about 50% map completion. I am looking at having to spend the rest of that 50% map completion …. walking around to complete it. I surely am not demanding a mount, because I believe mounts are dumb…. but a way to significantly boost my speed/avoid trash mobs would be a significant plus.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Axvil.2839

Axvil.2839

I want a charr motorcycle! One that belches smoke as I ride it all over Tyria..
Or even better, a Macross style asura battle golem. I could fight in it while in robot mode, and then transform into a flying jetplane like mount.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ApocSin.2187

ApocSin.2187

I like the idea of mounts. I would say NO to flying mounts. Mount skins would make Anet A LOT of money. I support having a small speed buff on the mount or one with out it. Its not that big of a deal. I don’t think it makes way points obsolete it gives players another option for travel. but for the love of everything NO FLYING MOUNTS that would ruin the vista system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

plus the amount of money you would spend on mounts you spend on way points. Is every post you have or at least I have seen thus far is about making GW2 more into World of Warcraft. WHy? If you are still in love with World of Warcraft then go back and play it.

Everquest has mounts. Vanguard has mounts. LoTro has mounts. AoC has mounts. SWG had mounts. Many games I have never played have mounts. Many had mounts prior to WoW launching.

So, how is this a WoW thing? Come up with a better argument.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Everquest has mounts. Vanguard has mounts. LoTro has mounts. AoC has mounts. SWG had mounts. Many games I have never played have mounts. Many had mounts prior to WoW launching.

So, how is this a WoW thing? Come up with a better argument.

Because people just love to hate on WoW and those who play it, though I don’t know why.

For The Thread
I wouldn’t mind mounts added to the game even if they gave no speed boost, If they did I would still use waypoints to get around.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

(edited by Nihevil.8024)

in Suggestions

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Some people must be utterly stumped when people suggest player housing, since they can’t scream “go back to WOW!!”

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in Suggestions

Posted by: killeraled.1950

killeraled.1950

I think they should add mounts but not in wvw. Nothing wrong with mounts. If people don’t want them dont use them!!!!! I’m sick of people say oh we gotz waypoints tht is boring I remember adventuring on my horse on wow its a more fun way of traveling instead of staring At a loading screen for 10minuits (slight egsaduration) lol
I agree with the guy who posted this
(mind the spelling im welsh)

i am a hunter you don’t see me, you just die

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zuer.2814

Zuer.2814

No to mounts. There’s no reason. If you want to run faster or go somewhere more quickly use a skill that grants swiftness or click a waypoint. The game was designed for easy travel as is.

Zuer
Maguuma
[AON]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fairymore.8609

Fairymore.8609

And i don’t know what is wrong with them

Yes to all of it. I would love mounts in GW2 and cultural mounts would be even better!
I wonder what creature Asuras would domesticate to ride…or maybe they wouldn’t bother and they would make awesome…something that hover off the ground.
Oh and mounts with seats for two players would be way cool too.

Toss all the restrictions ya want at it (cant use in WvWvW, only a 68% speed increase, very expensive, etc) i wouldnt care i would just like to ride one in the PvE world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Add mounts to a special event and see how it goes. If we like it, you’ll know.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Arthur.8905

Sir Arthur.8905

Would be cool to have them as Elite Utility skills, replacing your normal elite. Could also set that skill to be PvE on land only. Kinda like the witch’s broom from halloween, except using it would cause elite slot to be on cooldown. ( As human warrior, most of my sig of rage activations are for running).

No more than the average swiftness boost, purely cosmetic/rp like costume and costume brawl.

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

They need to make a filter feature on the forums so that anytime mounts is mentioned on the forums the topic is autodeleted. Im not justsaying that because of my opinion (which is no). Anet has said NO MOUNTS. In their own words on another topic, they do not want to be like other MMOs, mounts being one of these features. Its tryong to stand out from the crowd. There are waypoints and your own two legs. Pick one or the other; there is no mounts option. Again, the answer has already been stated, so these topics become pointless.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Suggestions

Teofa Tsavo.9863

They need to make a filter feature on the forums so that anytime mounts is mentioned on the forums the topic is autodeleted. Im not justsaying that because of my opinion (which is no). Anet has said NO MOUNTS. In their own words on another topic, they do not want to be like other MMOs, mounts being one of these features. Its tryong to stand out from the crowd. There are waypoints and your own two legs. Pick one or the other; there is no mounts option. Again, the answer has already been stated, so these topics become pointless.

Link to the absolute ANET official statement of No Mounts Ever please. I’ve searched, if it exists, it is well hidden.

And sorry, kicking the trinity isn’t enough to say unlike other MMOs. This game is everymmo tossed in a bucket, shaken up, and half poured out. Even tossing the trinity has been done before. Everything has been done before. It is sad that most posters knowledge of the MMO genre is so bleak that they do not see this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Mounts-Addons-and-an-LFD-1/first#post1206842

Here is what I was referring to. Its a moderator post, but same spiel. The player was suggesting that Mounts, Addons, and LFD be added. The moderator responded do no try to make Gw2 into a copy of WoW; they’re two different games. (Same thing those in favor of mounts say is a lame excuse)

You can probably twist that to say no they did not say no to mounts. However, it is highly implied that that feature is not planned on being implemented. We have waypoints and most classes have passive speed buffs, if not a skill tgat will give speed increase. I’d only say yes, and only if it came down to it, if they were a cosmetic item like town clothes. Otherwise let Gw2 set itself apart for what it is.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kellnor.5428

Kellnor.5428

Why Not?

Whenever I hear people griping about “why mounts are pointless” I laugh and say “you’re complaining about elements of a video game being pointless….?” Don’t get me wrong, I love my games as much as the next guy (and probably significantly more) but I feel like it’s ridiculous to pick and choose what “has a point” in something built entirely for entertainment and personal satisfaction.

That being said, here are my thoughts….

After a lot of reading on what others say about mounts, the biggest complaint I’ve found is “we have waypoints…why do you want a mount?” followed closely by “mounts would make the world smaller.”

Now, I dont know if its just me, but it FEELS like these objections are counter-intuitive. To the first point, I dont’ like waypoints because NOTHING shrinks the world more than teleportation. To the second point I simply have to say “how do mounts shrink the world, while waypoints do not?”

The next biggest concern I’ve come across is from people saying “instituting mounts will turn GW2 into WoW.” If any of these people had actually played WoW they would know…..this simply is not the case. From everything from the trinity to the sheer difference in the number of skills GW2 and WoW are polar opposites. So lets get our panties out of a wad and move onto the next objection.

The next most voiced objection to mounts (and in my opinion, one of the only logical ones) is that people are concerned that mounts will enable players to “bypass” content by zooming through (or Balthazar-forbid) flying through an area. To answer this, players will bypass whatever they want. I’ve seen a level 12 in the Cursed Shore just to show he could make it. He died a lot, sure, but it’s possible. Arenanet has also already stated flying mounts will not be instituted. Ever. But any reference to there not being terrestrial or “hovering” mounts was only in relation to game launch or specific updates. If this doesn’t satisfy the general public…who is to say mounts need full, partial, or any speed buffs at all? Simply enable a cosmetic mount feature or reduce the speed boon mounts would grant and “area bypassing” isn’t an issue.

Lastly…..The last, and in my opinion, most irritating objection to mounts is that mounts are “simply a status icon and a money drain and only leetist’s would ever use a mount!” This objective makes me laugh, cringe, and angers me all at once. If these people THIS concerned with mounts being a “status icon” I dont know how they can sleep at night with the concept of LEGENDARY WEAPONS in their heads. Might I remind us all that legendary weapons….are identical to exotic weapons in stats….they simply look different and cost several hundred gold to create? Claiming mounts are a no-go because they’re for elitists simply is NOT a viable argument.

SUMMARY:

1.) Mounts dont shrink ANYTHING in a world where you can teleport across continents instantly

2.) Just because I can beam across the map doesn’t mean I want to. It also doesn’t mean I want to walk everywhere….Mounts area beautiful go-between.

3.) Mounts won’t turn GW2 into WoW. Seriously people. Go play WoW for a bit and try and honestly say, mounts are the only thing making the games different.

4.) Mounts won’t enable players to bypass content (with the exception of flying mounts, see #5), players can already bypass whatever they want. (Which is why you see the random level 12 in the cursed shore.) I personally have taken my level 15 elementalist to a level 60 area “just because.”

5.) Arenanet WON’T and CAN’T consider flying mounts. They’ve explained why in the GW2 collectors handbook when they talked about how Tyria’s land and water zones are different. (Land zones aren’t designed to be seen from every angle whereas underwater zones are. This is also one of the reasons underwater zones tend to be smaller then regular zones). In order to change this, the game would essentially need to be scrapped and rebuild from the ground up.

6.) You simply can’t argue that Mounts are a status symbol and GW2 needs to be free of those….when you have Legendary Weapons (the ULTIMATE status symbol) in place.

And Finally…..if you read all this and STILL think you have a reason why you hate mounts? Don’t buy one. Don’t ride one.

I personally don’t like RP, but it doesnt mean I’m going to gripe at the people who do.

So, Arenanet? Bring on the mounts!!

Commander Kell Swiftfire, Jade Quarry
Co-Leader & Defensive Strategist of Empërium [EMP]

in Suggestions

Posted by: MouseOne.7419

MouseOne.7419

I don’t want a mount because of a speed boost (although with a main who’s a mesmer, wouldn’t mind it). I want a mount because seeing my Asura on a riding moa would rock. If they bring in extra functionality, like a special jousting arena for mounted combat, yay for more content. But mostly, I think the people who want them want them because it fits with their vision of a fantasy world, not to help “win”.

P.S. Never played WoW. Never had any interest. Did dig my horse in Skyrim, though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DocHolliday.5921

DocHolliday.5921

This game is not designed for mounts. Especially not flying mounts. Please, no mounts.

in Suggestions

Teofa Tsavo.9863

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Mounts-Addons-and-an-LFD-1/first#post1206842

Here is what I was referring to. Its a moderator post, but same spiel. The player was suggesting that Mounts, Addons, and LFD be added. The moderator responded do no try to make Gw2 into a copy of WoW; they’re two different games. (Same thing those in favor of mounts say is a lame excuse)

You can probably twist that to say no they did not say no to mounts. However, it is highly implied that that feature is not planned on being implemented. We have waypoints and most classes have passive speed buffs, if not a skill tgat will give speed increase. I’d only say yes, and only if it came down to it, if they were a cosmetic item like town clothes. Otherwise let Gw2 set itself apart for what it is.

ROFL. Forum Mods are not Developers. They do not set game policy. That Mod was not even named. Link a Red Name post, or quit stating absolutes based on “inference” from a moderator post. And I am sorry that this Moderator seems to be as ignorant of the MMO genre as most posters seem to be.

Mounts do not = WoW.
Mounts do not = WoW Mounts.

In every game I have played, mounts have been different to suit that game. Vistas here would absolutely negate flying mounts for example.

If someone were to say, “I want mounts EXACTLY like WoW”, I would say no. But that isn’t at all what the majority are asking for.

Mounts made for this game, implemented to fit this game. That is what I would like to see.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Radwolf.1370

Radwolf.1370

Scroll up to read the entire post =P

I absolutely agree with everything this person has said. Why can’t we have purely cosmetic mounts? Or they could give us out-of-combat swiftness for when we want to travel a little faster from place to place? They could be like town clothes and we would automatically dismount when we got into combat. I would love to see my Asura driving a hover-bike (the hover part being like Plague or Lich Form where you don’t actually “hover”) around while exploring or when something’s not quite far enough to waste money on a WP.

If people are THAT afraid of the “smaller world” that WP already take good care of, make mounts require a world completion reward like Legendaries do. Or better yet, let people buy simple mounts from a vendor in LA, some cool mounts from the gem store, and a Legendary-tier racial mount that you need the aforementioned world completion reward to craft along with a horrifying amount of gold, same as Legendary weapons. I know that I would spend time on crafting one, even if it made no speed difference whatsoever.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azzrael Deathbane.4965

Azzrael Deathbane.4965

For gods sake another thread about mounts,

I have read a lot of comments regarding mounts in other games, IMO GW2 does not need them. What’s the point in having them, for looks? Is it for the “look at my mount, isn’t it great” comments? Personally, if I want mounts then I would return to WoW or LOTRO. I like guild Wars for its uniqueness.

Not all MMORPGs have to be the same. So it’s a definite no from me.

“Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I’ll ever know.
Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I wouldn’t mind mounts, but just horses, I wouldn’t want to see people riding around on all sorts of weird stuff.

A particular game I have in mind (Korean grind) uses horse scrolls, you buy a horse scroll from a stable, it summons a horse, but as soon as you dismount the horse is gone, of course you can carry as many horse scrolls as you want.

And actually it works very well, and the horses are way cool.

However, I believe they said there won’t be mounts period, and I think it would be a tremendous amount of programming.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nemo.6295

Nemo.6295

Why are you being so shallow?

Why WoW? Everquest 2 has mounts, Ultima Online has mounts, in fact every MMO I can think of has mounts.

Why in the name of God would mounts make a game that is SO DIFFERENT from WoW, in gameplay, mechanics and general design, would suddenly become like WoW if mounts are added?

The stupidity behind that claim puzzles me.

And honestly the current travel system would not be affected that much. Take Skyrim for example, it has waypoints and mounts, you use both (unless you are one of those guys with too much time on their hands and turn off waypoints).

So yes, I’m all for mounts and obviously, considering the amout of threads requesting mounts, so are a lot of people. It can be done, it’s been shown with the Halloween event (riding the broom). It’s not only useful but it can be much fun too.

So come on, what else do you need, AN? Or are you actually listening to that idiotic claim that mounts will transform GW2 into WoW2?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

No thanks… every class has movement abilities enough and we have waypoints. No need for mounts.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

The go back to WoW thing really baffIes me.
I played CoX and Champions Online, which has Superpower Fast Travel
I played Dungeons and Dragons online and Vindictus where you basiclly had one city and all traveling in the loading screen.
I played Star Trek online, where you had a Starship with Transwarp.

You see I never played WoW. And in all the games I mentioned there were no mounts. And these games seriouly didn’t need mounts. Superhero MMOs usually have a much higher travel speed than Fantasy MMOs. DDO and Vindictus both basiclly did not have a percitant world, so no mounts need there. And well, when you have Starships…

The reason why I see that mouts would fit into GW2 is that it has a huge persistent world where you want to explore things… The point is I don’t want to explore on foot, because even with perma switness and signet of speed the travel speed is kind of abysmal.

So yeah mounts seem resonable, fit into a fantasy world and are looking cool. Just like legendary weapons or dungeon armor sets.

You see for people who play a game where one major feature is the whole dress up mechanic. Transmuting and dyeing your cloth and spend hours grinding for a new fancy head. Or a weapon that changes your footstep, I really can’t take you serious if you say you don’t want any status symbols in this game. Because there are already a lot and one and two extras won’t hurt, and guess what, will be added whit each major update.

The only reason I hear is that adding mounts would turn this game into WoW. Which is a seriously silly argument, because WoW plays completely diffrent. Actaully if you guys said that adding the holy trinity in this game would make it more like WoW I could really see your point.

But to be perfectly honest. This game is a lot like WoW because both are fantasy MMOs and obiously share a lot of of similar or identical ideas. Is that bad? No!
Because WoW isn’t a bad game, it is just not my cup of tea. I like GW2, not GW1, because I couldn’t get into this game either.
But saying I like something, also let me think about how to improve the experiance. Why do I like the idea of mounts? Because the ability to get from point A to B fast without a loading screen and be able to enjoying the scenery, seems like something that I really really want in this game. And seriously when you still want to be faster than the mount and have no problem with a loading screen by all means use the waypoints.

On top of the gold sink question. I usually don’t use waypoints on higher level, and I know a lot of people who don’t like to use them either. There is the one exception of WvW where I teleport a lot via waypoint, but these thing cost no money there. So these aren’t exactly gold sinks. So I honestly don’t think the waypoints are such a great gold sink anyway.

Desolation – Mistress of significance level