The next playable race? I say Centaurs!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ice.8153

Ice.8153

I had suggested this when ArenaNet first announced the creation of Guild Wars 2, and I am going to suggest it again as the GW2 one-year anniversary looms ever closer (and for the simple fact I think it is still a [very] good idea).

I think the next playable race should be Centaurs. Centaurs have played a huge roll in both Guild Wars (Prophecies and Nightfall—I love you Zhed!) and Guild Wars 2. Centaurs would be a unique playable race different from other MMOs (at least the one’s I’ve seen, I’m sure someone can correct me on this and will). The Centaurs Anet has developed for both Gw1 and 2 already have unique looks, weapons, armor, and we know they can move, jump, dodge, slash, and rain holy terror with awesome style while kicking butt…mainly our butts. Their story and lore already fits in seamlessly with the world (but due to their mysterious/awesome nature, there is still sooo much more we don’t know about them) and they already have a presence and locality on the world map, with new areas easily addable. I’m just saying, it would be insanely awesome to run around on four legs, kicking butt and taking names!

What do you think? Would you like to play as a Centaur? What other races would you like to see playable in the near future? (hint hint wink wink Anet!) Skritt? Tengu (Guild Wars Faction fans anyone?)?

in Suggestions

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I had always wanted centaur/tengu/naga as playable races, long before EotN and the introduction of the vikings and rat people. Adding walking salad – meh. I support centaurs, obviously. +1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Madjon.2657

Madjon.2657

Dredge……..
Plenty of lore, very cool, they have the same level of advancement as other races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

Skritt for the win! Shiney!

in Suggestions

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Well, actualy I am hoping for that water/dark creature that was helping me in the end of the story mode. I forgot the name of it, but it was that one with “wings” where it could swim well etc. It would be exciting if there was a underwater race, since it would be unique, and also could come into the lore alot better since we have only seen 1 kind of this creature
“In the main story, she told me that they like to keep hidden, so a atlantis-ish underwater town, would be awesome”

attacks would probably be all water based, or shadow based. “Which is kinda going all dark, with a full shadow creatures that atk everyone, even the owner or something”.

Thoug be4 thinking about new races, they should focus on the more important stuff :p.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ice.8153

Ice.8153

Well, actualy I am hoping for that water/dark creature that was helping me in the end of the story mode. I forgot the name of it, but it was that one with “wings” where it could swim well etc. It would be exciting if there was a underwater race, since it would be unique, and also could come into the lore alot better since we have only seen 1 kind of this creature

Yeah that creature (the underwater shadowy manta-ray’ish…thing) was pretty awesome! So I would have to agree, an underwater race would be cool, too! Tengu, Koda, Hyleks maybe even. What about the Naga, Krait, or even the Harpies? The Grawl race is kinda neat—I can’t imagine the females looking too pretty—but they’d be interesting. I don’t know though; I’m still leaning towards Centaurs. Everything else walks and moves on two legs—-or one tail—but is upright and normal(ish). Not saying that’s a bad thing…as a human (literally), I’m somewhat partial to it

in Suggestions

Posted by: melonLord.8712

melonLord.8712

Centaur would just feel clunky imo . I think Tengu is the class that theyre doing next and I’m all for that. Maybe Kodan too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lancaeron.1524

Lancaeron.1524

I have some correcting from what the OP posted. The only MMO that has used Centaurs as a playable race, happens to be the late Shadowbane MMO. The next MMO w/ Centaurs that should use them as a playable race, should be GW2!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elizame.1249

Elizame.1249

I am all for the centaur!!! You know you have a good game when you’re looking at all the NPC’s and monsters and going, gosh, I want to be one of those!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Spike rr.7125

Spike rr.7125

“In the main story, she told me that they like to keep hidden, so a atlantis-ish underwater town, would be awesome”

attacks would probably be all water based, or shadow based. “Which is kinda going all dark, with a full shadow creatures that atk everyone, even the owner or something”.

Thoug be4 thinking about new races, they should focus on the more important stuff :p.

I really like the idea to an underwater atlantis type city/race combo. Although if you are going to add something that is mainly underwater i would suggest adding more to underwater combat, or adding something to help stabilize movement. Also more than 3 weapons and an easier way to see what you’ve targeted. From my own experience and from what I’ve heard other players say underwater combat is not as fun as land combat. If you don’t add these changes to underwater combat then the race and city would be overlooked.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AXEL.8362

AXEL.8362

Skritts. Or else.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Tengu, Krait/Naga and Skritt would be my picks, although I wouldn’t mind Centaurs either. I like playing unusual and novel races and trying to get into their mindset.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Skritt be legitt!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Axxo.7430

Axxo.7430

Whatever race is ok, just NO PANDAS PLEASE !!!

Axxo “The Hex Guardian” – SoS

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Is this a mount post?

No centaurs are enemies.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Is this a mount post?

No centaurs are enemies.

The Charr were enemies before thei pwned the humans in Ascalon.

However riding a centaur would be hilarious.

in Suggestions

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Tengu? There are hints towards the dominion of winds on several places.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Having Centaur as a playable race would involve a peace treaty with the Centaur. While this is something that Queen Jenna is in favor of, it is something that the Centaur have primarily shunned. If it was enacted, though, it would mean the war was over and the entire face of Harathi Hinterlands, a large section of Gendarran Fields and Kessex Hills and a portion of Queensdale would have to be redesigned in order to accomodate it.

So it’s highly unlikely that we’ll see this happen any time soon.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

Why would they introduce a race that forces redesigning multiple zones? As Spiro said, they’re the main human-zone antagonists. Removing them would be require extensive modifications.

These lesser races (i.e. skritt, quaggan, hylek, centaurs, dredge, grawl, ogres, etc.) will likely not even be in the running for being playable until a fleshed out race with an actual homeland/territory (like the Tengu & Dominion of Winds) is released.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

in Suggestions

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Don’t forget about the Forgotten!

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Suggestions

Posted by: adagiophoto.4512

adagiophoto.4512

Centaurs will not be a playable race. Devs have already stated as much. There were two key factors that make centaurs unavailable. One was that centaurs are one of their “bad guy” races and as such it was unlikely to be a playable race. The other was armor design. They need a biped in order to be able to easily design armor for it as armor styles are shared between the races. Centaurs would require considerably more work in armor design (and animations, I would guess).

Having said that, centaur would be awesome.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

And I say no. 15chars

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Expect Tengu and Kodan.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Centuars? unlikely

Quaggans? Doubt it

Krait? What?

Tengu? Probably, they remain quite mysterious.

Kodan? Hard to tell, their model supports it but their lore seems broken in that they arn’t from a single nation.

Hylek? As much as shooting tounges at people would be fun, doubt it.

All in all, the room for more races doesn’t look expansive. Racial skills arn’t attractive anyways, you really want more useless skills?

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”