There should be race/class based mounts!

in Suggestions

Posted by: bestestnoob.3856

bestestnoob.3856

I had already made this topic but on the wrong place****

Does anyone agree with me? This is not a complaint, i just think having mounts would be cool. Imo though they should be realistic mounts. Not like in other games, where we see Cerberus covered in fire and lava and all that. Instead a horse or maybe you could even start up with a Moa and build your way up to a nice black stallion or mystical creature that isnt exaggerated; this would just kill the games class.
Im 100% sure arena net will make this possible eventually i mean we cant get it all in the beginning and have them run out of content to show us.
Anyways discuss ideas of mounts down below

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bunny.3081

Bunny.3081

Steam powered burning motorcycles for Charr.
Golems for Asura
Horses for humans.
…Bigger Norn for…Norn…
…Plant…cars…for Sylvari…

huh

in Suggestions

Posted by: Warzaw.2708

Warzaw.2708

If they ever included mounts, it would most likely be for show; the reason being once you have the WP’s, you’re mostly supposed to rely on them. If they’ do ever add them, they’ll probably be bought from the Gem Store.

There would be no speed-buffs, and like I said, merely just for show.

I think they had a ride-able witches broom that acted like a mount without a speed increase, though I can’t be sure.

BREAK YOURSELVES UPON MY BODY
FEEL THE STRENGTH OF THE EARTH
Vicodium – Ranger (IX) Coldsnap

in Suggestions

Posted by: Absolutionis.9427

Absolutionis.9427

No.

If they introduce mounts, it’d bring one giant piece of aesthetics into the game that overshadows everything else.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I don’t like the idea of racial things.
It was better to get race specific style gears back in GW1 – even if they wasn’t really stylish at all.

As town clothings, even the mounts should be all-race.
They reflect different styles and ways of living only…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

This game doesn’t need mounts and a big part of the community doesn’t want to see them either.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rahaji.8312

Rahaji.8312

Only if they’re included as part of mounted combat.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

These are mounts, now will you stop asking for something already in the game?

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Two dolyak mounts, on the way. Working on it for a video.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: bestestnoob.3856

bestestnoob.3856

If they ever included mounts, it would most likely be for show; the reason being once you have the WP’s, you’re mostly supposed to rely on them. If they’ do ever add them, they’ll probably be bought from the Gem Store.

I think they had a ride-able witches broom that acted like a mount without a speed increase, though I can’t be sure.

Yea i didnt mean for the to have speed increases, just for something cool to have and ride on if youre bored of traveling on foot. It also makes it more fun for those people who like to role play.

in Suggestions

Esplen.3940

Yea i didnt mean for the to have speed increases, just for something cool to have and ride on if youre bored of traveling on foot. It also makes it more fun for those people who like to role play.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kilnn Charrsbane.6520

Kilnn Charrsbane.6520

This game was not created to support mounts. It would pretty much break the game. Bad planning on ANet’s part? Very much so. Can it be changed now? No. Not without drastically altering the game.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

This game was not created to support mounts. It would pretty much break the game. Bad planning on ANet’s part? Very much so. Can it be changed now? No. Not without drastically altering the game.

That’s nonsense. It’s not based on any facts at all. It really all depends on the implementation. And since that could be just about anything, it’s perfectly possible and wouldn’t break the game in any way, shape or form.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I am guessing that one of the more difficult aspects of adding mounts (or new emotes for that matter) to the game, is that it would involve recalling all their human actors, dressing them up in the goofy suits with hundreds of motion sensors, and recording the many completely new motion effects. Then they need to be edited, hundreds of pieces of already-existing armors need to be checked and adjusted for clipping, etc. That is why (for example) the Consortium Harvesting Sickle used an existing animation. It’s a big time and effort thing I would think.

But yes, as far as the impact of adding mounts into the game as purely cosmetic items (like the Witches Broom), it would have zero negative effect. If they can get the riding animation accomplished, then mounts instituted as visual effects wouldn’t change a thing other than to make many people happy. I see nothing wrong with that.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

The kind of mounts everyone is on about – no, NO and no.. we do not need mounts and the game would be kitten with them..

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

The kind of mounts everyone is on about – no, NO and no.. we do not need mounts and the game would be kitten with them..

Can you tell me what would be wrong with mounts being added if they were like the “flying” broom? Mere appearance-only items?

in Suggestions

Kilnn Charrsbane.6520

Can you tell me what would be wrong with mounts being added if they were like the “flying” broom? Mere appearance-only items?

Because having a horse that runs at the same speed as a human would look as stupid and awkward as having a huge norn that runs at the same speed as a human.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No there should not be mounts.

How would they scale for large sized characters? Would a giant Norn be riding say a horse that takes up the entire screen or would it look like it is riding a pony? People that play Norns seem to like making everything as large as possible then stand in front of you blocking your view. No thanks, I don’t want Norns taking up all of my screen with their mounts.

Plus I don’t like mounts.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

First of all, there are no horses in the game. And most critters you see in the wild have a running speed that looks just fine, even though you can outrun most with a little speed boost. Some characters would look silly on some mounts. But to each his own. Some people like “silly-looking”. Which leads us right into my next point…

When did looking stupid-looking ever stop anyone? (I’m looking at YOU, oversized shoulder armor, and monstrous weapons!) I am against anything that blocks my view during combat too. But when you get attacked riding your broom, POOF! You are dismounted and thrust into your combat armor. Like the broom, mounts would respond like Town Clothes. They would not be in the way when it counts. How would they scale? How do weapons scale? (Besides, if they introduced “Cultural mounts” as the OP suggests, they would not look inappropriate to the race in question).

All I am hearing is that you don’t like the visual effect. Well guess what? Lots of people do like it. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so you are no more “right” than the people who would like to see mounts.

Mounts as “Town Clothes” would do nothing to harm your gameplay. Does anyone complain about the broom? Is it hurting your gaming experience?

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

First of all, there are no horses in the game.

Horses were a generic example. Ok, moose, bull, dolyaks, moas, so forth and so on. A Norn on a chicken would still be a huge chicken added to the typical full sized Norn with the largest armor and weapons possible and it would just take up more screen. Of course they would vanish in combat. Everywhere else in my opinion they would just be extra screen clutter and probably clipping issues that would bring up a whole host of new complaints. I don’t want mounts and that is my opinion on the topic.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

First of all, there are no horses in the game.

Horses were a generic example. Ok, moose, bull, dolyaks, moas, so forth and so on. A Norn on a chicken would still be a huge chicken added to the typical full sized Norn with the largest armor and weapons possible and it would just take up more screen. Of course they would vanish in combat. Everywhere else in my opinion they would just be extra screen clutter and probably clipping issues that would bring up a whole host of new complaints. I don’t want mounts and that is my opinion on the topic.

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so you are no more “right” than the people who would like to see mounts.

Why is it every time one of these types of topics come up and someone disagrees with the idea people get defensive just because someone disagrees? I don’t see anyone against mounts saying they are right and the others are wrong. They are simply saying they disagree.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

No. Stop asking for something that isn’t going to happen. :D

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

No. Stop asking for something that isn’t going to happen.

unless you can prove that there is no mount and never will come a mount ingame then your statment is wrong and given we have mounts like rieding brooms your statment is wrong,
i would like to see a cosmetic mount of some kind like a horse or other stuff like that tho should only be cosmetic.

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in Suggestions

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Does anyone agree with me?

Nope. Entire game designed for being on foot. If they added mounts they would need to take away swiftness, make larger maps, make quests take longer, etc etc. Won’t happen.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Suggestions

Hamfast.8719

Nope. Entire game designed for being on foot. If they added mounts they would need to take away swiftness, make larger maps, make quests take longer, etc etc. Won’t happen.

I guess you didn’t read everything. Take the flying broom, but make it look like a mount instead. The people who want to be seen on a mount get their wish. And it changes absolutely nothing. What are you afraid of?

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Why would anyone be against riding a Dolyak? It would be incredibly immersive if we could do that.

in Suggestions

Kilnn Charrsbane.6520

(I’m looking at YOU, oversized shoulder armor, and monstrous weapons!)

I agree. Oversized shoulder armor and monstrous weapons look incredibly stupid. They should be removed, and something a little more realistically sized should be implemented :p

in Suggestions

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Ain’t gonna happen, but my idea of mounts would be permanent swiftness buff with no attacks, as soon as you enter combat while still riding it, you get knocked off for 3 seconds (unless you use stun breaker). You can only use mount when out of combat.

Animal choices:
Human – moa
Norn – dolyak
Sylvari – young oakheart
Charr – large devourer
Asura – steam mechataur

in Suggestions

Esplen.3940

Steam Mechataur’s are larger than Moa’s.

in Suggestions

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Steam Mechataur’s are larger than Moa’s.

would be a miniature steam mechataur then.

in Suggestions

Posted by: HumaCarrionEater.8254

HumaCarrionEater.8254

This comes up so much that I have been reduced to just saying NO.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If mounts work the same way as they did in GW1, I have no issues with it. It would be fun to see people riding Dolyaks, and they could have a custom skill bar while on such a mount. Maybe they’d have a minor speed increase… but really, Dolyaks aren’t that fast to begin with.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Animal choices:
Human – moa
Norn – dolyak
Sylvari – young oakheart
Charr – large devourer
Asura – steam mechataur

Why do humans always get the short stick?

in Suggestions

Posted by: FreekPalmer.2839

FreekPalmer.2839

mounts would work if for example they took lots to craft or buy them from the Gem store and gave you bonuses.

Speed- you could have perm swiftness as long as you weren’t in combat or on a road.

Crafting- You could have them as a crafting table for one choice and bank access.

Have it to represent your guild for WvW this would make games a little more fast paced. It could help you catch up with your teams as well.

Have it as a gold dump/mat dump. Craft bonuses with lots of materials to create a camp for bonuses. Karma, gold find, MF or damage, defence and healing bonuses. For when you are doing dungeons/fractals or guild bounty. similar to guild banners.

They do already have mount type things in the game.
Golem’s for Asura
Shapeshifting for Norn
The magic broom
The vehicles that appear around Orr.

They wouldn’t work in PvP but in WvW and general roaming they would help a little.

It’s just another part of the game where you could make something unique.

It wouldn’t be game breaking to have them. and may give some people an alternative for farm instead of a legendary

Zipp Tinker
https://www.youtube.com/zipptinker
For my latest Videos and Builds

in Suggestions

Posted by: warllockmaster.1379

warllockmaster.1379

Mounts are not needed in this game, to be exact we do not want them in here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

This is the way mounts should be in this game. (Non-living, small, mechanical, magic, steampunk)

The only things I would change is:
*apply the speed boost the player already has to the mounts. No slower or faster than running.
*No time limit
*No knocked off mount from short falls.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I dislike the idea of mounts in general, as I don’t think we need more clutter in GW2, and boss fights already make me drop to 5 fps, and minis are bad enough.

That being said, if they were so impractical that people would actually use them in moderation, I’d be up for it. As I explained here: Sauntering into the Sunset

In that case, I think some mounts could be fun, like

• a golem for my Asura (more of a transform, really)
  • an incredibly slow Dolyak

Both of these would also work for racial mounts. That being said, I’m not a fan of racial limitations in general. My human loves Dolyaks more than any norn would.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Highwinter.3190

Highwinter.3190

I don’t see how it’s bad planning when it was a purposeful design choice.

Mounts in most MMO’s serve as little more than status symbols, they’re used to show off, and flash in peoples faces, they clutter up the towns/environments and are just plain not needed in the game (or wanted by most of the community).

If they ever add something like mounts, then it should be similar to the siege devourers or wurms in GW1. Temporary mounts that have a purpose and are used in specific areas that are designed to utilize them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

We already have cosmetic mounts and it’s clearly not enough for the mount brigade. Soon they will want speed-boosts, mounted combat, mounts with stats, flying mounts and so on, all because “other MMOs have them”. Where will it stop?

GW2 wasn’t designed with mounts in mind, especially flying mounts. The maps are zoned, not seamless and I can’t imagine anything more annoying than an idiot on his flashy oversized sparkly mount purposely blocking/obscuring jumping puzzle platforms.

No mounts.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

We already have cosmetic mounts and it’s clearly not enough for the mount brigade. Soon they will want speed-boosts, mounted combat, mounts with stats, flying mounts and so on, all because “other MMOs have them”. Where will it stop?

GW2 wasn’t designed with mounts in mind, especially flying mounts. The maps are zoned, not seamless and I can’t imagine anything more annoying than an idiot on his flashy oversized sparkly mount purposely blocking/obscuring jumping puzzle platforms.

No mounts.

Is the same speed-boost from running, unreasonable for cosmetic mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Well then they wouldn’t be cosmetic, would they? Also, what would you consider to be a reasonable speed boost? All professions already have some kind of on-foot speed boost be it through signets or other means.

Adding speed boosts to “cosmetic” mounts (especially boosts of 50% or more) will simply lead to a chorus of “the world is too small!”.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Esplen.3940

This is the way mounts should be in this game. (Non-living, small, mechanical, magic, steampunk)

*apply the speed boost the player already has to the mounts. No slower or faster than running.
*No time limit

Knocked off from short falls is because you take combat damage from falling, and thus enter combat.
There is no time limit.
Adding a speed boost instantly makes these items paytowin since it does give you an unfair advantage, even if it’s minute. (Note, these items can be used in WvW, so try to balance around that.)

I personally think that they work fine, there just should be more variety.

The problem is that people don’t view these as mounts since they’re not real objects which you sit atop (although the Broomstick is real and an object that you sit atop, people don’t perceive it as a mount since they, themselves, are called Vanity items and equipped as a Toy).

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

Well then they wouldn’t be cosmetic, would they? Also, what would you consider to be a reasonable speed boost? All professions already have some kind of on-foot speed boost be it through signets or other means.

Adding speed boosts to “cosmetic” mounts (especially boosts of 50% or more) will simply lead to a chorus of “the world is too small!”.

The same speed as the player on foot (Both swiftness and sprint). It’s not currently the same as on foot.

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

*No time limit

Knocked off from short falls is because you take combat damage from falling, and thus enter combat.
There is no time limit.
Adding a speed boost instantly makes these items paytowin since it does give you an unfair advantage, even if it’s minute. (Note, these items *can be used in WvW, so try to balance around that.)*

The problem is that people don’t view these as mounts since they’re not real objects which you sit atop (although the Broomstick is real and an object that you sit atop, people don’t perceive it as a mount since they, themselves, are called Vanity items and equipped as a Toy).

SAME MOVEMENT AS ON FOOT APPLIED TO MOUNTS! HOW IS THERE ANY ADVANTAGE? It all caps because I am yelling common sense to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

*No time limit

There is no time limit.
Adding a speed boost instantly makes these items paytowin since it does give you an unfair advantage, even if it’s minute. (Note, these items *can be used in WvW, so try to balance around that.)*

SAME MOVEMENT AS ON FOOT APPLIED TO MOUNTS! HOW IS THERE ANY ADVANTAGE? It all caps because I am yelling common sense to you.

That would turn them into a cosmetic collectible which GW2 has enough of.

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

They already are a collectable. Because the player is slower than runming on foot when using a cosmetic mount. Equal speed will still make it a cosmetic mount.

(edited by Onshidesigns.1069)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

These threads always crack me up. You get to see all these guys disagreeing with adding something new to the game just for the sake of it. Probably the same people that don’t actually support the game with real money and afraid they won’t be able to get one.

Mounts that are cosmetic have zero effect on the game. Hell, even mounts with a slight speed boost would have zero effect on the game. Why? Because there are tons of waypoints everywhere. My toons have perma-swift and I still use the waypoints.

Have faith all you guys that want mounts. They will be making their way to this game. The people with money want them and Anet will put them in for that cash eventually.

And no one cry about them in WvW because they can be disabled there just like many consumables are.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Mounts that are cosmetic have zero effect on the game.

My FPS during group events says otherwise.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sedoks.3576

Sedoks.3576

I would like to see some ground mounts, BUT this game is not made to support mounts it wont happen. Soo…. Nope

in Suggestions

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

Mounts that are cosmetic have zero effect on the game.

My FPS during group events says otherwise.

Not sure who would have a cosmetic mount out during that since you can’t do combat on them. Never seen a bunch of broom riders while out at one, but ok.