To Improve PvP

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Warkeil.8904

Warkeil.8904

Hi,

I’ve been collecting opinions on how the PvP can be improved. Not only the accessibility, etc but also something that few people comment on how to improve: gameplay.

PvP should be FUN and addicting! Plus, to become an eSport it must be extremely entertaining for the viewer/spectator as well!

I’m seeking opinions so that I can make a video on what the community wants changed and/or inserted in the PvP mode. The video (and this thread?) would help both us and ArenaNet to know the most wanted changes…

List (last edit: 20.June.2013):

1. Solo Queue/Team Queue or Matchmaking improved
  2. A more detailed death log. I want to be able to see what gave me that imobilize, what gave me that chill, I want to be able to hover a skill in the death log and actually showing it’s tooltip! This is a MUST for new players coming into the PvP scene or pretty much anyone in the process of learning!
  3. Increased rewards
  4. A PvP rank more reflecting of skill – this current version is meaningless and still teams look for rank rather than gameplay!
  5. Dueling with a right click option in the Heart of the Mists
  6. With spectator mode implemented, i’d personally really like a way to watch and SAVE replays. I want to be able to save a fight and rewatch it from every angle. It would make it much easier for a team to reobserve their fight, going over what went wrong and where. It would make casting SO much better, since a fight could be edited and broadcast.
  7. Get a good idea of specific professions/builds that kill me frequently.
  8. Balance through trait, weapon, and utility skill redesign. This would open up more build variety while also cutting back on some of the more dominant and infuriating builds.
  9. “WOW” moments.
  10. Double Kills, Triple Kills, ETC as in Unreal Tournament, for example.
  11. To “rent”/buy (probably private) PvP servers.
  12. More PvP only items on Gemstore, lik: Skins without RNG, Finishers and Anouncer Packs ( Rytlock, Zojja, Tybalt, Living Story characters… )
  13. Practice matches against bots (This would be excellent for practice and to make PvP more “mainstream”). Also, many people warm-up with bots in other games before facing real people.
  14. Solo/Team Queue and also Solo/Team Leaderboards
  15. Easy to counter Norns and Chars. Hard to see Asura’s animations due to their size.
  16. Closing the gap between PvP and PvE by earning PvE rewards in PvP and vice versa (Generally speaking, this would focus on aesthetics.)
  17. More tournament modes. Single elimination is okay, but with more growth bringing a 3 game bracket back would be awesome, especially because you can play either. The current 5v5 point-holding is fine, but I’d love to see modes which focus on, say, taking down the enemy tower and killing his lord in a full siege mode. 25v25 tower v tower in a structured fight not unlike WvW would be amazing. A king-of-the-hill dueling arena would be nice too. So would a straight up get-kills mode. I like the current mode, I’d just like to see them do other stuff too.
  18. Traits being save-able but that’s already on the list of things they’re doing.
  19. Reworking Professions so there is much more viability for each.
  20. More maps. Preferably maps where the main gimmick of the map isn’t a huge deal. Forest is a great one, since the mob kills are enough points to matter, but not so much that it can turn the fight around by focusing on them alone.

The most asked and possible to achieve:

1. A ranking that is not based on team wins (as a solo player it is frustrating to have a good night drop rank because of a few unlucky matches)/Solo/Team Queue and also Solo/Team Leaderboards.
  2. Save and Watch Replays.
  3. Dueling in the mists.
  4. More PvP items. We want to waste money on PvP stuff!
  5. More maps.

I will be updating this first post so you don’t need to search into the future replies/posts.

Agree or not they CAN profit a LOT from PvP without making it unfair to those who do not spend so much money on the game.

(edited by Warkeil.8904)

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

I’m sure Anet wants to do many of those suggestions, but pretty sure they are constrained by resources. Their priorities are elsewhere probably in PVE/WvW realm.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Strejda Tom.6108

Strejda Tom.6108

GW2 will never ever become an Esport.

Strejda Tom, the last unicorn.
Always remember one thing – your opinion is your opinion not fact.

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jesiah.2457

Jesiah.2457

I’m sure Anet wants to do many of those suggestions, but pretty sure they are constrained by resources. Their priorities are elsewhere probably in PVE/WvW realm.

So unfortunately true. They aren’t running a charity. They’re running a business designed to make money. And they will put the most effort into what brings them the most money, which is their PvE content, since there’s a good thousand times more content in PvE than sPvP.

Also I think the “s” in PvP should just stand for sh … kittens … :P

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

“Get a good idea of specific professions/builds that kill me frequently and how they’re played.”

Have you tried playing different professions and builds? or are you just asking that people’s builds and thoughts on play style be published?. As far as I am aware you can do both currently. Try spectator mode and look at their boons on skill use. This gives away their trait allocation. As for play style..just watch them.

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

So unfortunately true. They aren’t running a charity. They’re running a business designed to make money. And they will put the most effort into what brings them the most money, which is their PvE content, since there’s a good thousand times more content in PvE than sPvP.

Gw2 box sales have steadily decreased and player numbers have as well. This is only to expected or any game. NCSOFT has already disclosed that the steadiest form of income derived from gw2 is from gem store sales. So, if what you saying is true, then pvp and pve will not be receiving as much focus as creating gem store items for sale.

If we look at dragon bash alone;
Jade weapon skins have a higher chance of dropping if you purchase the rich coffers. You can do this through in game virtual money..or SURPRISE! real world money.

To get end event achievement you need to bet on random racing moa’s which cost 50 silver a race . Don’t worry if you run out on cash on this gold sink..SURPRISE! you can purchase gems from store and convert to game currency.

What if I want the wings but don’t want to have to do dragion bash?..well, you can also buy them on the trading post. If you are a little short on funds,..SURPRISE!! you can purchase gems for conversation. We accept paypal and all forms of major credit card.

What if I don’t want my jade skin?..No,.you can’t sell this. This prevents the opportunity for people to not buy coffers via gold sink or real world money gem purchases.

So the big question is, was the items available in the dragon bash designed first and the content second to create sales? Or was the stated philosophy of putting the player first the driving force?

So why is Gw2 free to play? gw2 is free to play, but not all NCSOFT derived games are. As seen in gw1 aion was pushed heavily in it. If you purchased aion you were rewarded with in game emotes in gw1. Much the same as bioware in mass effect3 offered skins to players if they downloaded the trial version of other games they offered via retail. Keeping one game free to play is good for keeping a secure player base aligned to your company. Through guild wars alone I now know exactly who NCSOFT are and what other titles they offer.

I am not ragging on ncsoft or anet for this. Like you said, it is a business. Like all businesses it’s primary directive is to make money. They do this through game sales, anything else after that is secondary. However, I would expect we will be seeing a lot more gem store content (Non breakable harvesting tools anyone?..maybe a char plush back pack?) So far, more content is coming from the store than dynamic changes in any form of the game apart from a long list of hot fixes for events that SURPRISE also have a lot of RNG and/or gold sinks attached to them.

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jesiah.2457

Jesiah.2457

^ I don’t think I could have / would have put this better myself. +1

I mean … come on … you’re right, realistically. Look at how much focus they put in PvP compared to PvE. But then compare that to how meticulously they work on the gem sales they make, such as with the jade skins … makes perfect sense the way you put it, from a business standpoint.

I can’t harp on them too much for being a business, but a business is a business … which is designed to take money from people’s pockets and put it into their own kitten pocket. That’s their focus, they just use the developers to push this as hard as they possibly can, and it shows.

Even if I may have read some possible sarcasm in there, I’m simply inclined to agree with your statement(s).

(edited by Jesiah.2457)

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Warkeil.8904

“Get a good idea of specific professions/builds that kill me frequently and how they’re played.”

Have you tried playing different professions and builds? or are you just asking that people’s builds and thoughts on play style be published?. As far as I am aware you can do both currently. Try spectator mode and look at their boons on skill use. This gives away their trait allocation. As for play style..just watch them.

I’ve collected that opinion. It is not mine. I agree with you though, that bullet point is not a very important one.

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Libersevenad.8275

Libersevenad.8275

-less AI mechanics (ilusions, minions. pets, turrets, etc) there’s too much of it
-ladder system instead of leaderboards like in starcraft(ladder → rating; leaderboard → highscores)

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Warkeil.8904

GW2 will never ever become an Esport.

Thank you for the suggestion. :p

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Warkeil.8904

“kittens”. haha

Anyway, I do think they can profit a LOT from competition/PvP. Look at League of Legends for example: Their main income is from skins? SKINS that do not affect stats…

To Improve PvP

in Suggestions

Warkeil.8904

^ I don’t think I could have / would have put this better myself. +1

I mean … come on … you’re right, realistically. Look at how much focus they put in PvP compared to PvE. But then compare that to how meticulously they work on the gem sales they make, such as with the jade skins … makes perfect sense the way you put it, from a business standpoint.

I can’t harp on them too much for being a business, but a business is a business … which is designed to take money from people’s pockets and put it into their own kitten pocket. That’s their focus, they just use the developers to push this as hard as they possibly can, and it shows.

Even if I may have read some possible sarcasm in there, I’m simply inclined to agree with your statement(s).

They can profit a lot with PvP though.