[Tool] "Build Saving" system: Template

in Suggestions

Posted by: Herio.5890

Herio.5890

With build saving system I’m referring to the GW1 feature which let you save several different builds and switch from one to another quickly and without taxes.

I’ve seen people writting about it in some threads but haven’t seen any response from a dev yet. I’d like such a handy tool to be implemented.

If there’s a reference about a dev talking about it in the forums I’d be grateful if anyone could paste here the link of that thread. If not, would be nice to hear a response from a dev concerning this matter.

More details here:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Template

Herio, Sylvari Guardian from Gandara.

(edited by Herio.5890)

in Suggestions

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

I agree with this request.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Yes, would love to be able to respec without a fee (yes, it’s not a lot, I know, but as a copper pincher it’s still a barrier to experimentation with my characters. I pretty much end up locked into a build when I hit 80 and use a grandmaster book).

I understand that without “Towns” and “Outposts” separate from the rest of the game to provide somewhere to define as “you can respec here but nowhere else” they need something to prevent people from respecing while out and about in WvW and such (although, I don’t see a huge issue there, as long as they’re out of combat why not?).
Plus there’s the gold sink aspect of it, which I don’t really get; I’ve already spent 3 stinking gold to unlock the traits per character, why bleed me for a few extra silver any time I want to try another build? I’m likely going to have to buy/craft new gear to go with it anyway. >.<

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

in Suggestions

Herio.5890

Totally agree. I don’t really understand why some nice things from GW1 haven’t been maintained on GW2. Also, this tool would synergize with the “every class can perform any role” making the role change much more easy; each player would have a support build, a tanky build, a dpsing build… versatility, variety, gameplay, after all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: untface.2436

untface.2436

At least give us a WvW spec much as we get in the sPvP area. It gets annoying porting back to respec every time I want to run some dungeons.

in Suggestions

Herio.5890

If it had to have any restriction, would be enough to make it work only in the big cities such as Rata Sum, The Grove, LA, etc , in the Heart of the Mists and in the WvW bases. That would solve your problem.

in Suggestions

ScribeTheMad.7614

It would, ignoring the part where they want it (like everything else) to be a gold sink. It doesn’t even cost that much really (I’m a copper pincher though so any cost is prohibitive to class experimentation for me), so I don’t see how dropping the cost would much of a problem, especially given the 3 gold it takes to unlock the traits in the first place -.-

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.

in Suggestions

Herio.5890

With build saving system I’m referring to the GW1 feature which let you save several different builds and switch from one to another quickly and without taxes.

One of the most important things is that it wouldn’t be a gold sink.

For those who might not know, this tool it’s not intended to respecc yourself for free, it just allows you to swap from a build to another you have previously saved. So you would have to pay for a respecc, then, when your build is done and it’s tweaked you save it. After that you wanna try another build you are experimenting with, you pay for a respecc as usual but, in case you want to go back to your previous build you just open this tool, search on your previously saved builds, and load the one you want. You would be able to save plenty of builds.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They want you to feel an attachment to the build that you choose. I, however, like to switch weapons and try out different things while I’m playing, both to have the right setup for a situation and to keep combat from getting stale. A build saver would improve the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: domxnik.1453

domxnik.1453

This really needs to be in the game, but I don’t think they would do it for free. You would probably have to buy another build then pay a small fee to change between them.

I would also like to see them add in item set swapping as well, like they have with the armor and town gear. Add more gear tabs so you can put different sets so you can save room in your bag, for those who have multiple sets.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

in Suggestions

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

I would be fine paying for additional traitline storage if that’s what it took, as long as I could have a PvE, Dungeon and WvW traitline whenever I needed them.

in Suggestions

ScribeTheMad.7614

If it was a one time fee to get a build save slot I’d be okay with it if switching was then free, but I’m not willing to pay both. The fee to re-trait, as small as it is, is already prohibitively expensive to the kind of experimentation I’d like to do my with characters (look that handful of silver adds up pretty fast when you keep re-traiting eight characters).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trollhammer.7439

Trollhammer.7439

I have to respec constantly between pure DPS for dungeons, generic PvE and tanking build. I don’t mind paying for it, as long as I can just load up previously saved build in 2 clicks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Sorry Herio, I did do a search on the forums for something like this before posting….

Trait Saving would be a useful tool as I said 3 saves would do what we needed. Someone in my post suggested a PvE, a Dungeon and a WvW/PvP save so again only 3 trait saves.

I dont think a fee is needed except when you first create the Trait Save… and if you make a new one to be saved over the top of another …. after that it could be free to switch between Saves…. Make the initial Save a little more expensive

Also I agree with the post from domxnik about a item switch tab and how about a armor switch tab too….. I have 3 sets of armor that I use for the 3 sets of builds I use tho I have been thinking of a 4th build and as such Trait Saves, Armor and Item Switch tabs would be great……

(edited by Firebird Gomer.9563)

in Suggestions

Herio.5890

It’s np, good to hear more and more people misses this feature.

Updated the first post including a link showing how the tool worked in GW1.

in Suggestions

Trollhammer.7439

bump for good suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: EliteZ.1682

EliteZ.1682

They have already said hundreds of times that this is something they’d love to put into the game further down the line. It’s just not high on their things to do list as there are much more important things they need to work on before.

in Suggestions

Trollhammer.7439

They have already said hundreds of times that this is something they’d love to put into the game further down the line. It’s just not high on their things to do list as there are much more important things they need to work on before.

link to one time they said it please

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kellnor.5428

Kellnor.5428

I love this idea,

I’d also add the ability to “rename” you’re builds (so I could go through my list of “support ranger, glass cannon, AoE, tanky sigil build” and instantly pick which one I want)

As this would require different traits in different lines I would be 100% fine if you had to pay extra for it…. Maybe have the Trait vendor sell books that allow you to change into a different tree on the fly? They would be more expensive than “asking to retrait” but it would be worth the convenience of doing it on the go.

Essentially, make it so you can create trait builds for free, but you need the special books or tokens or whatever to switch between them.

This make sense to you guys? What you think?

Commander Kell Swiftfire, Jade Quarry
Co-Leader & Defensive Strategist of Empërium [EMP]

in Suggestions

Posted by: DocHolliday.5921

DocHolliday.5921

I think this is just one more of the many features they should have implemented from GW but didn’t. One of the many small disappointments I’ve had coming from GW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Yes we need this ins some form, dont really care too much if i still ahve to pay or not, just an abbilty to swap between saved builds (and armor and weapon set swaps would be nice too), preferably without having to go back to a town all the time

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Yep, excellent suggestion.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The problem is that changing traits comes with a price, and gear is way more impotant for builds than in GW1, because of the greater stat bonuses.

So it’ll be better if you could get ‘equipment+build’ slots. Let’s say, starting with 2 or 3 and getting more for a few gems.
Then you would be able to set the traits and the gear, and only have to pay to change the traits on a slot, not for changing slots.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

The problem is that changing traits comes with a price, and gear is way more impotant for builds than in GW1, because of the greater stat bonuses.

So it’ll be better if you could get ‘equipment+build’ slots. Let’s say, starting with 2 or 3 and getting more for a few gems.
Then you would be able to set the traits and the gear, and only have to pay to change the traits on a slot, not for changing slots.

It’s not so much that Gear is more important than Traits…. Its more the time wasted re-traiting each and everytime you want to do something different, when with a few clicks of the mouse you could change your setup in seconds instead of minutes and be playing the game (which is the proclaimed idea of GW’s2) instead of fumbling around trying to remember if you used that skill or that skill…. And also if you should accidently click a few to many points in a single trait you have to repay to have the whole lot removed.

Actually it would be better if the saved trait build did everything at once…. Armor, Weapons, Accessories, Traits and Skills. Again a limit of how many saves you can have but as suggested perhaps you could buy more from the Gem Store. A one time gold fee and then you can switch between them whenever you like for free (outside of combat of course), if you want to make a new one and you have 3 saves already then you either buy another slot from the gem store or you pay gold and save it over another trait save.

The other good thing about switching them all at once is that your items would be out of your bags and free more room for other items….

in Suggestions

Posted by: EliteZ.1682

EliteZ.1682

link to one time they said it please

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/337726366
Around 21 mins he is asked about saving builds and he replies it’s not something they’re working on but he can see them adding it further down the line. Not confirmed, but as he said they can them building it. there are also others but i’m not going to search for every interview it’s asked on.

(edited by EliteZ.1682)

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

Cool Elite, lets speed it up a little.

in Suggestions

Herio.5890

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/337726366
Around 21 mins he is asked about saving builds and he replies it’s not something they’re working on but he can see them adding it further down the line. Not confirmed, but as he said they can them building it. there are also others but i’m not going to search for every interview it’s asked on.

Thanks for the link, I missed that one. It’s a good thing that they got it in mind at least but, this is something they have already done in GW1 and hopefully wouldn’t take too many resources to be implemented. This being said, the more people supporting this idea the faster they’ll realize it’s something that needs to be added as soon as possible.

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

^just so Herio, so don’t let us down

in Suggestions

Posted by: Genome.6073

Genome.6073

I’m very much for such a tool!
A few tips for those who can’t wait for the tool though – if you still want to experiment – just go to the Heart of the Mists. It’s a nice way to atleast get an idea of how the different traits work out (albeit against other players).

Another thing you can do while waiting for it’s implemention (this is what I do) is going to a Trait-Build site like: http://en.gw2skills.net/ – and saving the builds you have there. I know that takes some time – but it’s worth it if you want to remember your build.

in Suggestions

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

/signed.
Would also love the same for skills and armor sets.
I hope it will be 1st term of 2013 but they did not say anything about that so … guess it’s still uncertain.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

+1. Even if it was part of a mini quest line or some achievment to make, as long as I can freely change my build out of town to suit the situation I’m fine. We already have permanent or consumable bank access items, just need that other step.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: johnnysan.8409

johnnysan.8409

I think it would be one of the greatest features in this game. I tend to switch between different builds for WvW, PvE, Dungeons. And going to a Retrainer every single time and resetting all of my traits is not very convenient. And I also think it should be the same for Armor/Weapons/Skills.
Basically you would have a couple of Profile Slots and you could switch between them.

(edited by johnnysan.8409)

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

It can’t possibly be hard to make this come true. They had the kittened system in Guild Wars 1… get it on devs!

in Suggestions

Posted by: morunas.1328

morunas.1328

I am quite sure ANet has in its plans to add profiles but like every product you have to let it go bit by bit to maximize profit. I would gladly spend 2000 gems per profile on a character as long as I could insta-switch between traits WHEN out of combat of course. Not necessarily between WvW and rest of PvE but also for instance if I am soloing/small group in WvW with guild, or if I have to take a certain role in big Guild WvW movement.

I really hope though that if they have it planned it will be up soon because this is a deciding factor on how many people will play GW2 how often. I have to admit I am playing less WvW (and not more of the rest) because of this limit. My mesmer for instance is speced for large/mid organized group and I just don’t have the patience to go to LA and respec.

I mean if we would include profiling weapons equipped it would bring A LOT of programming challenges, but Trait profiling? Would be a joke to implement.

ANet if you have nobody to implement Trait profiles I will do it for free! ^^

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

That’s the point. It’s so easy that it would barely cost a few days at most to get this up and it would help everyone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Naga.1805

Naga.1805

Bump – I would love to be able to save builds just like in GW1. Dev’s please provide an update. Is this something easy to add and can it be put in the next few months timeline?

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

What Naga says, not a lot of people are actually aware of the system gw1 had, but for most of the gw1 vets it’s something that was taken for granted, cause of it’s efficacy.
Give us some news about this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Robotukas.1673

Robotukas.1673

If it had to have any restriction, would be enough to make it work only in the big cities such as Rata Sum, The Grove, LA, etc , in the Heart of the Mists and in the WvW bases. That would solve your problem.

Restriction is simple. You can’t swap build in WvWvW or in dungeons. So before you are going to WvWvW or in dungeons you have to chose build. Also you can change in PvP asura gate area, where You can buy items and everything.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

I would like to see this in game , I don’t even mind having to go to the contact and pay every time I just want to be able to select a build and go. In City of heroes the change could only be done every 15 Min and you could not switch during a Task Force or Trial, which are the equivalent of dungeons. Something similar to this would be great!

in Suggestions

Herio.5890

Bumping this just in case our loved devs wanna consider it for the next patch. <3

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

I suggested this as well. in a newer thread. The only restriction I would give it is not being able to re spec in Dungeons and maybe WvW. Out in the world? What ever, that is supposed to be fairly casual friendly anyway.

in Suggestions

Sirendor.1394

Thumbs up. Everyone has to see this

in Suggestions

Herio.5890

Time for some april bumping!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

Now that you’ve bumped it, I can give my contribution, yes, please do this!

Depending on your class, you might have to change your build if you want to change weapons (like from sword to axe, or from rifle to bow). I believe a lot of people would like to try different weapons for a change and this would be of great help.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BackToSchool.7318

BackToSchool.7318

Yes OMG please add trait profiles. GW1 customization was amazing. I HATE being FORCED to teleport to cities to talk to trait trainers and spend almost 10 minutes respec’ing traits.

Please bring back what made GW1 great.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I agree and have been asking for a while too. I’ve created a thread on this a long while ago as well as commented on many of them. PLEASE implement Anet! It doesn’t have to be free, make us pay for it in silver (or perm. option for gems) is fine. Just don’t make me go back to a city hub every time I want to retrait. Also allow me to save my skill slots and preferably trait slots in a template as well so I can just choose and go (again for a cost is fine).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Suggestions

Posted by: nwc meridian.6873

nwc meridian.6873

I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I’d very much like to have that tool/ability in GW2. It was very handy in GW to save multiple builds even when just trying out new combos. I also enjoyed the ability to share particularly effective builds with friends. I have no problem with the cost to switch traits. That cost exists now and should continue as a ‘retraining’ fee. I don’t think there should be a cost save the template or to preview it as if it were an armor set. Consider the topic Bumped!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Okuza.5210

Okuza.5210

Lack of templates is almost entirely why I haven’t bothered with sPvP and why I likely won’t bother with it until templates have been fully implemented. The second and very minor reason is that inventory is not completely separate between sPvP and PvE.

By fully implemented for sPvP, I mean it needs to completely change my traits, armor, weapons, and utilities with one button click. And, I need to be able to save, recall, name, and leave long notes about each template. Obviously, some of these features would only be fair to support when not in a match and further restricted while actually in combat.

sPvP looks like it would be a lot of fun, but I just refuse to setup my own little out-of-game DB of builds and notes and such for something the game could so easily be doing for me. That’s how important the feature is (to me) for sPvP: the lack is literally a game killer.

For PvE, templates would be quite handy — mostly when swapping utility & weapon sets mid-run for the next encounter and a little bit for offering advice on how to build. But, I’m happy enough with PvE now that I don’t see it as a barrier to play or as a major enhancement to the PvE experience.

I see WvW needs as similar to PvE. The lack won’t keep me out of it (it doesn’t now), but it would mean that I might bring some lesser used classes to it. Templates would let me more easily swap between the 3 main wvw modes: “zerg”, “roam”, and “stacking swiftness”.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hevosin.9187

Hevosin.9187

I would be fine with templates, even if you have to pay to switch (same cost as to respec normally).
I would be ok with Buying template ‘Slots’ with gold, say 1-5g a slot.
I would be ok to buy the ‘slot’ and pay to respec each time.
I would be ok with buying a ‘slot’ with gems.
I would be ok with buying a ‘slot’ with gems and gold, and paying each time to respec.

Point is, this feature should have been in day one. And I was very surprised it wasn’t. We know the engine has the ability to do this already, as sPvP has different traits than PvE and WvW.

Devs if you read this post. Listen to me seriously, I would pay in game money and time and real life money to get this into the game. Even 1600gems per slot, I would still buy 1-2 slots.

in Suggestions

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Can we have templates and fees?
I’d just like to save the template so I don’t have to click 20 times in a trait and accidentally do 21 and have to pay again.

It should cost to switch trait templates.

| Lithia |