Traveling Costs Have To Go

in Suggestions

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

I would suggest entirely removing the traveling cost.

• My friend spent 10 silver the other day going to Timberline to get a teleportation gun and travel to my place to help me with a jumping puzzle.
  • I don’t feel like traveling around the world when each waypoint at level 80 costs above 1.5 silver. I don’t feel like visiting beautiful places because it feels like a waste of money. It was worth making this game look so nice for this [/sarcasm]
  • I don’t feel like going to a place where I can craft.
  • I don’t feel like visiting a trading post.
  • I don’t feel like visiting a dungeon.
  • The cities are empty because nobody feels like wasting their money going there, only if they can do something productive like mapping the area. It makes the game completion-oriented, which directly opposes the sandbox-like gameplay.

This is not a minor issue.
It is an invisible poison, like a cancer that slowly eats away every inch of motivation to play this game.

I loved visiting places in Guild Wars. I loved going to Fisherman’s Haven sometimes and sitting down or having a party with my friends. Guild Wars, in that sense, was a true Massively Multiplayer Online experience (!). Apparently, somebody, somewhere in the development forgot how important these little things are. Guild Wars didn’t ask anything for it and it took you 3 seconds to go there. It was easy and free, which enabled all the fun. It enabled people having fun and making music videos and party videos (by the way, what is up with the abundance of emotes in this game?).

Here I don’t feel like doing mundane things because the waypoint cost bounds me. It makes me feel that I have to farm to be able to experience anything in this game. It makes the game feel like a day in the office.

• Repair costs are more than enough for a money sink.
  • Waypoint costs may have sounded good on paper as a money sink, but in action, they are just a bane.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

I agree and disagree, it doesn’t need to go, it needs to be like it used to be. traveling to most placed used to cost like 50 – 90 cooper, now cost about 5 silver…Over all I feel the same as you, unless I REALLY need to go somewhere, I rather not to do anything.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Yeah I also agree, cost of waypoints is making this a very unsociable single player game.

Now I would have thought ArenaNet would have wanted to encourage people to play together, to go to events with friends or go back and help lower level people.

But no, it costs us silver to get there and silver to get back.

I would like traveling cost to be set (Free) so we can travel about freely to help others, join in with DE’s and events,, be “sociable”, without the feeling we’re eating into our hard earned coin.

It’s definately a game killer for me.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

Same, I rarely travel away from Orr now because its simply too expensive.
Plus we get double-punished on death, waypoint cost and damaged gear cost.

Waypoints need to not be based on level for cost but on distance and the cost should never be higher then 1 silver.

in Suggestions

chronus.1326

Where has all the fun of guild wars gone?

Exactly!

Where are the old emotes, drum, guitar, violin, rock/paper/scissors, catchbreath, attention, scratch, pout? Holy hell there were so many things in Guild Wars 1. All those emotes were motion-captured; don’t tell me you couldn’t use the same motion-captured animations for Guild Wars 2. You can easily snap the captured animation to any model, there should be no technical difficulties there. It just feels like they disregarded a lot of things or considered them unimportant. And that just makes me worry so much about the future of the game. When a dev team does that, it is the worst possible sign. It means that back then they most likely got all those things right completely accidentally. If including those things was not part of the plan here, then it was a completely accidental success at the first time and the worst of all is that they didn’t even realize it.

The new players who haven’t played Guild Wars… they keep saying that it’s a different game, but “different” is not the correct term. The game is less than its predecessor. It is lacking at places where it shouldn’t. Out of all the places, it shouldn’t be lacking at the minor things that make Guild Wars fun. Hell, even the dance emotes in Guild Wars were more fun. Underestimating the importance of these things will have dire consequences.

And the worst of all is that the team doesn’t seem to be responding to these complaints that much. We have heard a lot of hype and empty bullkitten talk but no actual honest posts, no true human input on this matter. No real talk, from real people. Just very careful, profit-maximalizing kind of beating around the bush.

I miss the times when game development was more about gamers, and devs weren’t bound by their PR department.

Sorry for the off-topic response.

But no, it costs us silver to get there and silver to get back.

Yes, it costs 2.5 silver to go to Lion’s Arch to find a HotW party. There are no parties so I take my chance and visit HotW waypoint for 2.5 to see if there are any parties gathering there, but there are none. I go back to where I was for another 2.5 silver.

That’s 7-8 silver spent on literally nothing.

And I can repeat this every time feel like checking if there are any parties doing HotW. I end up spending at least half of what I get for completing the dungeon, if not more. And this is just one direct example.

People are using the “go to PvP then go to Lion’s Arch” shortcut for a reason. I mean that is already a bad sign.

(edited by chronus.1326)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brian.9125

Brian.9125

If anything the traveling costs encourage me to actually do something at every waypoint I go to. Why dont you just hit up a few resource nodes wherever you go? On that note I imagine thats part of the reason why travel costs exist, removing them would probably necessitate also removing the nodes around a certain radius of the way points.

I do think traveling to lions arch should be free, however. Since you can already get there for free by porting to WvWvW or the Heart of the Mists then using the portals there, so it really just means adding an extra loading screen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arathor.5819

Arathor.5819

If anything the traveling costs encourage me to actually do something at every waypoint I go to. Why dont you just hit up a few resource nodes wherever you go? On that note I imagine thats part of the reason why travel costs exist, removing them would probably necessitate also removing the nodes around a certain radius of the way points.

Honestly, that logic is a little flawed. Traveling is expensive, so you feel compelled to earn money at every waypoint? I don’t get how this adds to the game at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dnc.9863

Dnc.9863

I would like to see the costs either go completely or be toned down. After all, the original GW didn’t have travel costs. Of course there weren’t as many waypoints as in GW2.

Of course another solution would be to give each map a “major” waypoint to which travel would be free. Other “waypoints would be minor” waypoints and travelling to them would have the regular cost. These major waypoints could easily be the ones that are located near map entrances/exits?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hastur.6231

Hastur.6231

Traveling is a money sink, money sinks exist to balance the economy.
If one money sink goes, TP prices increase for everything. My Bro-tip for reducing traveling costs is try using asura gates as often as you can, the price to teleport to a way point increases with your relative distance from it. Also I make an average 3 gold a day from 1 dungeon full explore run. And there is no way in Gods name I’m gonna travel 3 gold worth of money in one day.

in Suggestions

chronus.1326

Of course another solution would be to give each map a “major” waypoint to which travel would be free. Other “waypoints would be minor” waypoints and travelling to them would have the regular cost. These major waypoints could easily be the ones that are located near map entrances/exits?

Or just bring back the Outpost system.

It would decrease the population strain on the areas too. Every Explorable Area being open-world was already enough to make the game MMO. There wasn’t anything wrong with the outposts.

That’s an illusion. The top items already sell for 300-500 gold. The economy in this game is no different from how it was in Guild Wars 1 and that would be no different without a money sink either. The numbers would be just higher but the proportions would be the same. The economy is always determined by a set group of chosen people who has ten times as much money as others. It doesnt matter what system a team implements to circumvent that. And frankly the fact that it’s always like that never hurt anyone, ever, in any game. It’s an antagonized but in truth non-problematic “problem”.

But even if you want a money sink, the traveling cost is the worst possible place to have that. Increase the repair cost, implement weapon repair cost, or anything, but allow people to move around freely in a sandbox game.

(edited by chronus.1326)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rokar.3175

Rokar.3175

If one money sink goes, TP prices increase for everything. My Bro-tip for reducing traveling costs is try using asura gates as often as you can, the price to teleport to a way point increases with your relative distance from it. Also I make an average 3 gold a day from 1 dungeon full explore run. And there is no way in Gods name I’m gonna travel 3 gold worth of money in one day.

I think that the fact you are running dungeons is mute… What if i am not a dungeon runner or a DE grinder. I want to feel I do not need to run and grind to travel. Yet maybe if I had a reason to pay for travel, as in there was way more perks then just a stagnate map to run aimlessly around to gain a few bucks to comp me for going to the next place.

I love this game and would love to see a Dev in here to shed some on this topic….

Anet if your listening please could you give us a response we could use your thoughts on this as well.

Ranger Maulgor

Ranger Maulgor
Level 80 100 precenter
Oldschoolgw [OSGW]

in Suggestions

Brian.9125

Well, I suppose there are good arguments for both sides. My point is that in general I think most people see a positive coin increase in casually traveling around and playing the game. Maybe it should be removed (although I think the economic impact needs to be considered) but for those of you labeling it as an “invisible poison” that’s ruining your enjoyment of the game you really really need to relax and stop worrying about it so much.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tera GX.8149

Tera GX.8149

I would personally like for it to be adjusted a little. Currently it’s calculated on player level and distance. I’d rather see it calculated on both those points plus zone level.

Getting rid of it entirely I disagree on. Maybe my opinion is influenced by me always having Signet of Shadows on for a permanent +25% speed, but it has worked for me the way they designed it to.

From what I can see, the two main goals of waypoints might be to encourage real travel, and to penalize unprepared travel. You use cost as an excuse for not enjoying the world’s beauty, yet the very goal you state is entirely focused on skipping the world. Since I first picked up the game I loved the world’s art, and I very much love travelling it on foot. I enjoy assessing all the minute details of way the artists placed certain things in certain ways. If I could easily teleport to only where my immediate goals are, there’s a lot of territory I’d spend no time in.

The current system forces you to be smart about travelling. For me to warp from where I am in Orr to, say, Honor of the Waves waypoint, that would cost me 4s 31c. I would not do that in casual circumstances. I would travel to Fort Trinity, gate to Bloodtide Coast, enter Lion’s Arch, gate to Hoelbrak, then it’s a straight shot North through Wayfarer Foothills. The total time it takes to do that is not long, and most enemies along the way would be passive or melee-range thus unable to slow me down with combat speed. And of course it didn’t cost any money to do.

The only time I casually warp, is when it’s around the minimum cost. Not because of its status as the minimum cost, but because that’s the same amount of money I earn from any single level-appropriate event. And because that’s not the only money I make, I’m not afraid to do long distance travel on the rare occasions I’m in a hurry (primarily when someone announces a dragon or temple battle). While I was still levelling 60-80, the waypoint costs seemed to really hurt me. But it turned out I didn’t understand money making. I’m not one of those “lol 10g a day easy” guys, but between good use of short-warping, foot travel, and Asura Gates, my money gains have put me where the warping that I do doesn’t feel the least bit painful.

Aside from admiring what the artists have done, foot travel also offers me opportunity for two very helpful things: further planning through what I’m doing this session, and completing my daily achievements. Since most of my primary goals would place me fighting a narrow variety of enemies, mid-travel is my best chance to get my kill variety.

In most cases, I will never do 2-way warping, I see no need for it. Either I’m tired now (and will recover while working toward my immediate goal), or I’ll be tired later, I’m enjoying this game too much to toss aside more. If I’m warping, I will either travel to my destination, then warp back, or warp to my destination, then make my way back to where I started. The only time I’ve broken that was when the Halloween event called me to Harathi Hinterlands more than once, the zone I personally most hate having felt it to be bland and aesthetically unpleasant. I didn’t want to spend my time in that place I’d choose to avoid, and so I did incur an expense. But I felt it was a fully just tradeoff, I’d say the opposite of investing time is investing money, and so I was content with that rare elevated spending.

Tera Xenphos of Fort Aspenwood (guildless, deliberately)

in Suggestions

Brian.9125

I mean don’t sit around in lion’s arch doing nothing because you think traveling is going to make you go broke. I cringe at the cost sometimes too, but its never stopped me from going anywhere…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I don’t want to mess about around a waypoint trying to recover my costs, when I have gone to help friends or join in with an event or gone to team up with my guild mates, I want to get on with it, help people, join parties, not to have to worry about recovering costs.

“Oh hang on a bit, I just want to farm a few low value nodes”.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Suggestions

chronus.1326

The current system forces you to be smart about travelling. For me to warp from where I am in Orr to, say, Honor of the Waves waypoint, that would cost me 4s 31c. I would not do that in casual circumstances. I would travel to Fort Trinity, gate to Bloodtide Coast, enter Lion’s Arch, gate to Hoelbrak, then it’s a straight shot North through Wayfarer Foothills. The total time it takes to do that is not long, and most enemies along the way would be passive or melee-range thus unable to slow me down with combat speed. And of course it didn’t cost any money to do.

But it’s not smart. I think we are just trying to find loopholes and roundaround ways around an effectively bad system. If your post doesn’t show that people dislike the travel costs, then what does? Think about it.

You know what would be smart.
Not having a cost at all. That’s the end result that we all want to reach by doing these roundaround tricks. I can only see this as a game of “finding the exploit”, and not a way how the game was intentionally designed.

Besides, this is not about exploring slowly, but going somewhere when you have to go somewhere. To help someone, to reach a dungeon waypoint to catch up to your party members. To go to craft, to get your bank, to reach the trading post. These are everyday things that this system makes tedious.

(edited by chronus.1326)

in Suggestions

Rokar.3175

From what I can see, the two main goals of waypoints might be to encourage real travel, and to penalize unprepared travel. You use cost as an excuse for not enjoying the world’s beauty, yet the very goal you state is entirely focused on skipping the world. Since I first picked up the game I loved the world’s art, and I very much love travelling it on foot. I enjoy assessing all the minute details of way the artists placed certain things in certain ways. If I could easily teleport to only where my immediate goals are, there’s a lot of territory I’d spend no time in.

Man Tera you really hit it on the head here… Here is my thoughts on that also. I have a level 80 Ranger 100% map completion. It took me some time to get, Because I did enjoy every ounce of Beauty the game intended me to see. All the stories from the hearts and all the DE I triggered by saving someone ect… ect…

I am re living those moments once again on my Warrior now, and it is again an amazing place to see once more… cept I am in the vigil and a norn now so it is slightly different.

My point here is that I have seen this all on my ranger (which is my main) and when I want to travel I would like to get there and back with as little hassle as possible. If i want to explore the beauty of Tyria… I will do so on my Warrior,Elemental,Thief or Mesmer.

Tera your post was awesome I give you that and please hear me now, I am not wanting the price to go away but rather maybe we can have a bonus reduction for having map completion or level 80 bonus or something but it is quit high in a toll fee.

And again I ask a Dev to come sit with us, take about travel cost with the people of Tyria and open up to your travelers…

Ranger Maulgor

Ranger Maulgor
Level 80 100 precenter
Oldschoolgw [OSGW]

in Suggestions

Posted by: DinoDoll.3682

DinoDoll.3682

i agree a bit too. i wish the waypoint cost was a little cheaper for higher levels. my highest level right now is 76, and the waypoint cost is high enough that i cringe when a lower level friends wants me to come help them with something they are having trouble with.

just thinking about how its going to cost me about 6 silver (3 silver to waypoint to them, another 3 to waypoint back to my higher level zone) is irritating. it /is/ true you can usually make up some of the cost if you get a couple good loots, or do gathering, and then sell what you got.. and stuff. But it certainly makes taking “quick trips” anywhere … something you don’t want to do at a higher level.

Like today i helped a level 30 friend do a skillpoint that they’d been unable to get despite trying about 10x themselves and failing. They asked me to come over (turns out a champion had rezzed near by and that’s what was killing them, rather than the skillpoint on its own being hard to do) it cost me about 2.5 silver to get there… help her kill the champion so she could get the final skill point of the zone… then another 2.5 silver to get back where i was. For a 5 to 10 minute trip to a low level zone 5 silver down the drain.

and i most definitely didn’t make 5 silver while being in that zone.. so….

ya… i definitely hate travelling as a higher level player :\ even way points /right/ next to me cost over 1 silver, which seems ..a bit high. At least using waypoints in the zone you’re in.. should be less than 1 silver i think ….

in Suggestions

chronus.1326

Man Tera you really hit it on the head here… Here is my thoughts on that also. I have a level 80 Ranger 100% map completion. It took me some time to get, Because I did enjoy every ounce of Beauty the game intended me to see. All the stories from the hearts and all the DE I triggered by saving someone ect… ect…

I am re living those moments once again on my Warrior now, and it is again an amazing place to see once more… cept I am in the vigil and a norn now so it is slightly different.

My point here is that I have seen this all on my ranger (which is my main) and when I want to travel I would like to get there and back with as little hassle as possible. If i want to explore the beauty of Tyria… I will do so on my Warrior,Elemental,Thief or Mesmer.

Tera your post was awesome I give you that and please hear me now, I am not wanting the price to go away but rather maybe we can have a bonus reduction for having map completion or level 80 bonus or something but it is quit high in a toll fee.

And again I ask a Dev to come sit with us, take about travel cost with the people of Tyria and open up to your travelers…

Ranger Maulgor

Very good post Rokar!

Although I do not agree with everything you said. That just seems like a better system than the current system, but just like all the rest of the ideas in this thread, just one step closer to the best system. I do not want to compromise! The perfect system would be if we would have no traveling costs! If I would ever want to state an opinion, or fight for something, it would be only that! There is no reason to go lower. That is the thing that gives you a sense of freedom.

It’s the thought that you can do it. The thought that I could travel back and forth between Lion’s Arch and Droknar’s Forge 200 times a day and it wouldn’t cost me a single gold. That is the feeling of freedom! That is the feeling of an “open-world”! It’s when nothing holds you back. It doesn’t matter how low a traveling cost is. The moment you introduce it, no matter how big the world is, it some way, it encases, closes off that world a little bit.

Some people think that copper is not money, but even 2x 50 copper is one silver. It will still be a cost that should not exist and which should never have been implemented. A game like this, which builds up a world, should freely offer that world and only hinder people’s progress or the amount of content available to them based on their level or skill. Even if it does not cripple people entirely, it should not even make people feel like not doing things because of stupid fees. That is the best way to slowly kill people’s interest in a game. It just feels like life. A game should not hinder free movement and people’s ability to meet up at all.

And there should be no compromise there.
Whatever role that it fills can be filled by something else.

(edited by chronus.1326)

in Suggestions

Rokar.3175

It’s the thought that you can do it. The thought that I could travel back and forth between Lion’s Arch to Droknar’s Forge 200 times a day and it wouldn’t cost me a single gold. That is the feeling of freedom! That is the feeling of an “open-world”! It’s when nothing holds you back. It doesn’t matter how low a traveling cost is. The moment you introduce it, no matter how big the world is, it some way, it encases, closes off that world a little bit.

Very well stated Chronus, and now I have to change my mind on the matter all together… you are right we cant accept a lower fee. It should be removed all together. As you stated there are many ways to gain our moneys back armor damage, buying gems for storage/bank space, the needed thread/butter milk/tin to make our crafting items, the market, legendary weapons lol that is a few hundred gold there i might add.

I ask one more time for a Dev… Please join our discussion on traveling cost. We hear you when you speak. Now please hear us. We want to talk about change.

Ranger Maulgor

Ranger Maulgor
Level 80 100 precenter
Oldschoolgw [OSGW]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The costs of teleporting are very cheap and really shouldn’t be an issue in my opinion. The costs are a convenience fee.

If you’re constantly teleporting all over the map then take advantage of the asura gates. You can also hop into WvW and then take the gate to LA.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I do agree and i don’t know who came with this stoooopid kitten idea… And if they aren’t removing it, make it so its only free if you’ve 100% that zone.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TravisTrout.6803

TravisTrout.6803

I don’t understand the problem.

If you travel somewhere to walk around and look at the trees, then the 4s amounts to your vacation travel expenses. If you travel somewhere to play the game and do some content, then your travel expenses are negated by vendoring whatever blue & green garbage you get, plus coin drops, plus event rewards.

Problem does not seem to exist in reality.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I agree. I have got now to Orr myself after 2 months and it feels there is a constant fight and pretty non-soloable any place. Getting armor broken and repairs are very high cost.
And the way point costs are stupid too. When I go to starter zone, I don’t feel like going back because the costs are too high and there are so many chances to get armor damaged.

If you travel somewhere to walk around and look at the trees, then the 4s amounts to your vacation travel expenses.

WTF? travel expenses? So if we don’t “work” we can’t travel? I thought playing a game should be “fun and enjoyment” not “work and payment”

(edited by Ronah.2869)

in Suggestions

Posted by: CaptainOok.1048

CaptainOok.1048

I don’t understand the problem.

If you travel somewhere to walk around and look at the trees, then the 4s amounts to your vacation travel expenses. If you travel somewhere to play the game and do some content, then your travel expenses are negated by vendoring whatever blue & green garbage you get, plus coin drops, plus event rewards.

Problem does not seem to exist in reality.

First of all, say you’re right. You still need to think ahead. After getting the travel cost back, you’re still left with the choice of whether to leave or not. You’ll probably want to finish with whatever you can in that area at that time because you feel coerced to do so.
Second, even if there’s a workaround, it still doesn’t mean that ANet shouldn’t fix broken mechanics. And there are many posts in this thread suggesting why it’s just that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoShamBo.2618

RoShamBo.2618

Totally agree with the OP. My main character is level 77 and I have currently have the princely sum of 3g 58s 72c.

I was spending a fortune teleporting around the map chasing events up until around level 40’ish before I realised that any money I was making from events and selling junk and items I picked up was completely consumed by travelling costs. Needless to say that since my epiphany I have been legging it everywhere.

Being able to get to Lion’s Arch for for free via HOTM is a godsend in this respect.

Forever posting in legendary threads!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

I took the liberty of translating OP’s post:
“I do not like to use money on traveling, because I prefer spending my money on useless stuff. Please make it easier for me to maintain this wasting state of mind. This is the poison that kills me slowly, for I cannot ever understand how a waypoint travel can cost a total of 1 event reward! Like seriously, do you expect me to PLAY THE GAME!?”

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoShamBo.2618

RoShamBo.2618

@TravisTrout, I’m in this game to mess around with some mates and have a laugh.

I’m not auditioning for a spot on ‘The Apprentice’ with Sir Alan Sugar.

Forever posting in legendary threads!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Carpethian Forest.3108

Carpethian Forest.3108

I completely agree that the traveling fees have got to go. It is very demotivating to pay 4-5 gold to get to your friends and then again on the way back, and whenever you need to store things in the bank where there’s no bank around, you gotta pay for that too..

I think repair fees are enough. In GW1 they didn’t charge, I don’t think that GW2 should be any different.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

4-5 gold…holy crap are you jumping every single waypoint between you and your friends?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Only thing I demand is: limit the costs so they match the current level, not the real level, since you earn less in low level regions and it doesn’t make me want to help out there. Other than that, the costs are fine.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

I earn approx 30 silver per hour in this game by simply playing it casually. If I go hard out to try and farm gold I can get up to 2 gold per hour.

Are you seriously saying you can’t absorb a measly 10-20 silver in daily waypoint costs out of that?

Get a clue. The WP costs are there for a reason, and you can cut them down significantly by warping to LA first via the mists and then waypointing to the nearest home city to your destination.

If it really bothers you, walk everywhere.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

direction this game is going is we gonna have jumping puzzle instance every time we try to port anywhere… if u make it u go for free otherwise u have to pay… u know why? ppl love challenges!

but seriously i have a feeling that anet had a lot of brilliant ideas that just got overthinked… i mean what was wrong with WP? nothing… but hey, lets make it a money sink… well not its something wrong with it.

whats wrong with weapon swap? nothing, great idea… but hey lets put CD on it… now something is wrong…

the list goes on and on…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deadman UK.5473

Deadman UK.5473

I would like to see the costs either go completely or be toned down. After all, the original GW didn’t have travel costs. Of course there weren’t as many waypoints as in GW2.

I think this is the best idea… major free waypoint then minors at reduced prices.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“If anything the traveling costs encourage me to actually do something at every waypoint I go to. Why dont you just hit up a few resource nodes wherever you go? On that note I imagine thats part of the reason why travel costs exist, removing them would probably necessitate also removing the nodes around a certain radius of the way points.”

How the hell do you figure that? I’m curious here, because what I see is 3 types of people.

1) People who stay put in orr and may sometimes occasionally waypoint to and from a dungeon. This leads to a drain of around 3 silver a day, and yes, it makes full sense for them to say waypoints are ok.

2) Bots who telehack and kitten quickly harvest materials. Completely bad, and probably why ANet thinks waypoints are not good, yet most ores are close enough to each other that you run from A to B anyway.

3) Everyone else who doesn’t want to farm orr or dungeons 24/7 but instead feel like doing whatever. They average 10-40 silver a day in waypoint uses. These people are the ones that think the waypoint fees need to go.

““I do not like to use money on traveling, because I prefer spending my money on things other then the convenience tool. Please make it easier for me to exploring this world which you put so much work into. This is the poison that is hurting every place other then orr, for I cannot ever understand how a waypoint travel can cost the total of 1-5 events which may or may not be near me depending on where I spawned in and how far I traveled, or will cost me 1 ori harvest if I am in orr and not using the waypoitns or 5+ ore deposites if I went to queensdale/harathi to help a friend! Like seriously, do you expect me to FARM MASSIVELY TO PAY OFF THE CONVENIENCE TOOL YOU PUT IN THE GAME TO MAKE ME WASTE LESS TIME!?””

I took the liberty of correcting your obvious translation error.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuari.8106

Kuari.8106

I’m a little confused at why people would be losing money from waypoint fees… been using them to get to areas to explore, usually make my money back in two events, a couple hearts, or selling drops. Maybe a little more of an issue at 100% completion, but the profit has been WAY outweighing the cost. Still, the lack of there being some free hubs is a little iffy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ctarl.3629

Ctarl.3629

The waypoint system as it is currently implemented is a total disaster for an MMO.

Just a few minutes ago some players asked for help with the Melandru event in Cursed Shore. Guess what? Nobody came.
Because walking would have taken too long (the event would have ended by the time you’d get there with all the stun and cripple enemies) and the waypoint costs would have negated most of the event rewards (which are terrible as it is). So people kept doing their practised event and mineral farming (which is effectively single player gameplay).

The gold sink argument is totally besides the point as waypoint costs affect the wrong part of the player base. Gold farmers in particular don’t even use waypoints very often. Implement more cosmetic gold sinks if you want, but don’t punish people for playing your game.

Only partially relevant to the topic:
Honestly, all that’s keeping me playing currently is my goal of full Exotic sets for all my 80ies. And that means I make an Orichalcum run with all my characters once a day. Leaving Orr would cost me money, so I don’t do much else.
When I have my armor I see no incentive to keep playing. It’s not like waypoint costs would ruin me financially but travelling around just isn’t fun when you know that every teleport costs you money if you don’t do something at your destination to earn it back.

After getting my Citadel armor in GW1 I mostly explored the map (I had like 95% of Tyria explored when the titles where first implemented) and visited the Int districts of out-of-the-way outposts like Ice Tooth Cave or Maguuma Stade regularly to see if any interesting player events are being done (I fondly remember the strike for the prestige Tormentor’s skin in Lion’s Arch and the frequent events organized by [BOAT]. With the server system of GW2 these are unfortunately no longer possible).
In GW2 I would like to – for example – search for more jumping puzzles (not google them) and do events I might not have participated in yet.
But not when doing so effectively costs me money. I have no way of knowing what’s currently happening on a map until I’ve traveled there. So looking to do specific events (like the dragon bosses) or even finding groups for dungeons is an expensive guessing game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“I’m a little confused at why people would be losing money from waypoint fees… been using them to get to areas to explore, usually make my money back in two events, a couple hearts, or selling drops. Maybe a little more of an issue at 100% completion, but the profit has been WAY outweighing the cost. Still, the lack of there being some free hubs is a little iffy.”

The issue is if someone wants to go help a friend and then return to their area. This can cost 5-7 silver depending on where you are.

It’s also a pain in dungeon running. You show up in say frostgorge, or a dead area like CoE, and figured out no one is there. That’s usually 3 silver to get there, free to LA, look for a group, go back to Maelstrom, 3 more silver, kittenomeone dropped, back to LA to LFG, back to mealstrom, 3 more silver, and hope no one else drops. 9 silver for a simple LFG.

in Suggestions

Ayrilana.1396

You should be making more money that you’re spending on waypoints. If you’re not then you’re doing something wrong. I’m not suggesting how you should play the game but its just so easy to make back your money.

in Suggestions

CaptainOok.1048

Again, it’s not that you don’t make more money than travel cost. This system punishes casual players and indulges farming.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Also, I think we’re seeing a disconnect between lower and higher level players. The waypoint costs don’t scale linearly, it’s a progressive tax. So lower-level players pay less as a percent than higher-level players.

It’s a completely backwards system, because you don’t want low-level players running everywhere until they know what they’re doing. But high-level characters you do want traveling everywhere so that the game feels alive and lower-level/newer players have people to play with. Aren’t people complaining about how some zones are ghost towns already?

So ANet’s system is punishing the wrong people for the wrong thing, and encouraging the wrong people to do the wrong thing. It’s just a wrong headed system.

I don’t think all waypoints should be free. But just adjusting the cost so it scales linearly would be a big help. And the major/minor waypoint idea might be good too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

To kill the “money sink is needed for the economy” argument.
A game economy is not the same as a economy in real. A ingame economy is fully controlable, Anet can create as much offer as they want, they just programm a bunch of aomething extra or low prices of the merchant sell price (those will effect tp prices aswell). Saying a money sink is needed is uncorrect.

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

I think they need to fix the fact that you need 1s to use a waypoint right next to you.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solar Brink.1490

Solar Brink.1490

I understand the need to create money sinks to prevent inflation but it is crushing on the casual player (I have a full time job I cant grind Orr and watch the trading post all day) just to keep up with the current prices on high demand items
The only items that sell for good money are very rare drops with a high demand and what with dynamic events and dungeons being able to create money the community is creating more money then is being used up
hence why most things that arnt rare/exotic rarity being sold for npc value on the trading post

in Suggestions

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I agree with the OP.

GW1 didn’t require map travel to be a money sink, so I don’t see why it needs to be so here. I do understand the need for money sinks in the game; I just don’t see why map travel should be one of them. It most definitely discourages me from leaving the area I’m currently in.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I think they need to fix the fact that you need 1s to use a waypoint right next to you.

That is the only issue I have. The scaling of cost is a but weird where there is a high cost just for using the system and it slowly scales with distance. I guess this is to avoid having people warp around a zone at high speed while keeping long distance travel at a lower price (since it is a money sink). But it really limits any travel at all because it presents itself as being a bad deal. I don’t know how they could address this without using overly complicated rules (e.g., price increases if you use it frequently based on a timer).

in Suggestions

Ayrilana.1396

Kill a few things and you’ll often make your money back. Utilize Asura gates if you’re stingy on money.

in Suggestions

CaptainOok.1048

Kill a few things and you’ll often make your money back. Utilize Asura gates if you’re stingy on money.

God you sound like a broken record. Seriously, what’s the point of saying the same thing over and over again?

(edited by CaptainOok.1048)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Enikuo.9205

Enikuo.9205

It’s not a money sink if people avoid it, which is what’s happening. Players avoiding travel to save money hurts the experience for everyone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I agree with the OP.

GW1 didn’t require map travel to be a money sink, so I don’t see why it needs to be so here. I do understand the need for money sinks in the game; I just don’t see why map travel should be one of them. It most definitely discourages me from leaving the area I’m currently in.

The only reason they have these money sinks is to keep players poor.
Why?
Because the things in the cash-shop can be bought with the in-game gold.

If they make the cash-shop items only buy-able with real cash not some stupid gems, then there won’t be a need for the money sink. No one will care if the players will have 1g or1000 g in their bank as long as they won’t have what to buy with them.
These gold is not “prodeced”, it is just some numbers in a program so the illusion of an economy is only in the A-Net’s game designers heads.

Remove the gems form cash shop and there wont be any need for repairs, WP costs, TP fees, etc.