What We Need is Dynamic Dungeons!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Guild Wars was meant to be a change from the usual grindy MMO. Many aspects of the game accomplished that from holding areas of a zone against invaders to randomly spawning material nodes that require you to search areas.

One of the aspects of the game that does not follow this is dungeons. Sure, many players have fun doing them for the first time. There are multiple options to try out. The problem is that these options never change. Most of the player base do these dungeons to grind out the rewards. That is inevitable. If you give a nice enough reward, people will go for it. One way to make it not a grind is to make it more fun and to do that you need to make it dynamic.

Make the paths you choose have a storyline like they do now, but make it so the events during said path are different most times. Take for example CoF. One of the parts you need to run the Asura, Magg, through a lava area. It’s the same thing every time. Why not make it so that some times a Champion Lava Elemental rises from the lava and tries to stop you? Or at other times the rocks in the lava spawn in a kind of jump puzzle that you all need to work together with the waterguns to get through?

Take Twilight Arbor as another example. One part of a path is to defeat an evil nightmare tree. Instead of making it 10 minutes of ranging it to death and evading one AoE attack, why not make it more dynamic? One time something goes wrong with the merge between the Sylvari and the tree and it starts spewing extremely toxic poison everywhere and you must stay within a shield cast by your Sylvari companion and you must take out tendrils coming from it to damage it.

You can come up with many variations to make dungeons more fun by making them dynamic. I hope you guys at Arenanet do come up with something like this.

in Suggestions

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Seems to me like this would be the only way to make it fun and non-grindy, but still keep a level of difficulty.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Berelain.2308

Berelain.2308

good thought

Guild Leader Gwens Red Iris Flowers [GRIS]
Commander Berelain sur Hoiya
Far Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reynfall.1547

Reynfall.1547

Actually a good idea, and the icing on the cake would be to give the silver rewards back.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SeedsOfYggdrasil.6315

SeedsOfYggdrasil.6315

I love this idea, and it would definitely seem to make Anet look like they’re delivering on their promises to defy existing MMOs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hildebert.4196

Hildebert.4196

I would enjoy seeing dungeons being more like the realm events like Shatterer or Claw of Jormag. As it is right now, Bosses are rarely more than beefed up trash mobs with a little bit of flavouring. For example, the final boss in SE story mode was probably the most fun I’ve had in an instance; it was interactive rather than your typical tank and spank. On the flipside, bosses like Tazza or the Destroyer of Worlds at the end of some of the SE explorable paths are just stale punching bags that become more of a chore to kill than an exciting experience.

in Suggestions

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

I’d actually be interested in seeing what parts of dungeons people would like to have spiced up. I haven’t done every dungeon yet, but I’m pretty sure many parts of them can get boring after the first few runs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

That’s a very good suggestion and for me the obvious solution.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

in Suggestions

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Hoping some devs see this and get some ideas. This would be awesome and would get so many people to start doing dungeons for fun and not just gear.

in Suggestions

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Anyone got any other ideas to make runs more enjoyable and less of a grind?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

I could do SE all day, it is by and far the best dungeon… but I don’t want the gear, As a human I want CM gear 1st (it’s the closest to home). And CM… well blows. I like your suggestions A LOT. Got any CM ideas?

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

Again, the +1 button is missing.

This thread is supported by the Keyboard Wielding Blondes of America League

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adzy.8370

Adzy.8370

this is what i originally thought Dungeons were going to be! not just packs of trash mobs from PvE put into an instance.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I would love to see Dynamic Dungeons replace the current explorables.
Would be cool if they could scale as well, ie; Only have two friends availabe, dungeon scales down difficulty to the amount of people inside.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

anything that makes whatever you do different each time is alright with me

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Seems like a brilliant idea, and can add a bit of spice to the dungeon. For now, the only kind of randomness I have experienced so far is the ninja-like Champion Troll in Ascalonian Catacombs, both Story and Explorable versions. I think more dungeons could use more surprises like that.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Suggestions

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

They indeed could. So far I’ve only actually done 3 dungeons, being Arah, CoF and TA. Feel free to post ideas for other dungeons as well. =)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

Currently the dungeons so far are very dry and painfully boring. This seems like a step in the right direction at making them fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

great idea! + a nice boss monster with good loot at the end = win.
they can keep adding dungeons small once long once with dynamic events within them

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

in Suggestions

Posted by: poe lyfe.5879

poe lyfe.5879

i like this idea too…. but guys this is a free mmo. if you really want them to do this buy some gems and let them know financially you like what theyve done and would like to see an investment like this made. i bought day 1 and have boughten 70$ worth of gems so far. help them out like this and i garuntee youll get exactly what you ask for.

Wintersday is for the Charr, also Meatober.

in Suggestions

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

Actually from the descriptions of ArenaNet I would have expected something like your suggestion I would find that awesome. ^^

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

in Suggestions

Posted by: Echo.2087

Echo.2087

I think this a brilliant idea on its own, but when I read your post I imagined something different: dynamic dungeons similar to dynamic events. Imagine wandering around Orr when a Pact member rushes up to you (as some npcs often do to notify you of nearby events) but instead asks for help in a dungeon? A dungeon unique from the one in the current zone that several players (or your entire party) can meet up in, beat back the trash and bosses, and collect tokens – much like a dynamic event, but much more difficult, and with token rewards.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deathwhispr.8210

Deathwhispr.8210

Guild Wars was meant to be a change from the usual grindy MMO. Many aspects of the game accomplished that from holding areas of a zone against invaders to randomly spawning material nodes that require you to search areas.

One of the aspects of the game that does not follow this is dungeons. Sure, many players have fun doing them for the first time. There are multiple options to try out. The problem is that these options never change. Most of the player base do these dungeons to grind out the rewards. That is inevitable. If you give a nice enough reward, people will go for it. One way to make it not a grind is to make it more fun and to do that you need to make it dynamic.

Make the paths you choose have a storyline like they do now, but make it so the events during said path are different most times. Take for example CoF. One of the parts you need to run the Asura, Magg, through a lava area. It’s the same thing every time. Why not make it so that some times a Champion Lava Elemental rises from the lava and tries to stop you? Or at other times the rocks in the lava spawn in a kind of jump puzzle that you all need to work together with the waterguns to get through?

Take Twilight Arbor as another example. One part of a path is to defeat an evil nightmare tree. Instead of making it 10 minutes of ranging it to death and evading one AoE attack, why not make it more dynamic? One time something goes wrong with the merge between the Sylvari and the tree and it starts spewing extremely toxic poison everywhere and you must stay within a shield cast by your Sylvari companion and you must take out tendrils coming from it to damage it.

You can come up with many variations to make dungeons more fun by making them dynamic. I hope you guys at Arenanet do come up with something like this.

This is a Great Idea. You could even add in what SWTOR did with choices during the story. These different choices would allow for Karma Gain,Exp Gain and possibly leading to different Bosses and loot during the dungeon. Or even cause certain events to happen inside the dungeon.

Revenge Is A Meal Best Served Cold

in Suggestions

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

The thing is I don’t want them to completely change the dungeons. They should still have the same story line and everything. What needs to be changed is the path through the story line so we can’t anticipate what happens each time, to make it more interesting.

in Suggestions

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Anyone got more ideas?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ox See Sox.3687

Ox See Sox.3687

Tottaly agree. Nice ideias.

Brains > Brawls
So Much Blur

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tehownya.3580

Tehownya.3580

This! Must! Happen!

Anet You Must See This Idea!!!
I’m Already getting excited about the Idea
oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vinushka.8904

Vinushka.8904

This is actually great. I’m sick and tire of people running the same paths, doing the same strats over and over again.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I love this idea, and I really hope that ANet sees it. It would really add to the the game, and for those people who feel like they’ve reached “the end”, they can use this to continue their game play.