Why can't i block?

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: edrickdebane.9134

edrickdebane.9134

The only thing you can do in this game that has “dynamic combat” is

Dodge Roll……..

come on Arena net can you please add a way to block.

(edited by edrickdebane.9134)

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

There’s skills that do that

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

The only thing you can do in this game that has "dynamic combat" is

Dodge Roll........

come on Arena net can you please add a way to block.

There is buff for that: AEGIS - http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aegis
And you are really doesn’t need to have shield to block
And you can block from sides or rear, also ^^
Very easy game )))

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

I think it would have been cool if they did an active block like ddo had. Raiderz and Neverwinter had an ok block system too that felt more fun along with being able to dodge as well. Not sure why they didn`t do something like that here.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

Because this is no Raiderz or Neverwinter?

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Warrior shield skill 5 is a block for 3 seconds that with the right trait can even reflect projectiles

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

This is also no Vindictus but they had no problem copying the dodge and telegraph mechanics from that game did they?

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

Err, you can block. And not just passively through Aegis. -.- For instance, the mesmer scepter #2 skill and the mesmer sword #4 skill are active block skills.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

No. The op means blocking like holding your right mouse button down will hold your shield up kind of blocking. Not the jank block buffs. Some of the more recent mmo`s have this feature and it`s surprising that they didn`t choose to go with a system like that. I think it would have made combat more interesting instead of waiting on cooldowns with mini buffs.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: zemiacsik.4590

zemiacsik.4590

[ALE] Ring of Fire (EU)

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

The amount of stupid in any thread has reached new heights.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

No. The op means blocking like holding your right mouse button down will hold your shield up kind of blocking. Not the jank block buffs. Some of the more recent mmo`s have this feature and it`s surprising that they didn`t choose to go with a system like that. I think it would have made combat more interesting instead of waiting on cooldowns with mini buffs.

I might be misunderstanding you but the skills I was referring to aren’t boons and have nothing to do with aegis.. You press the button and for 2 seconds the character uses his/her weapon to block an attack. I really don’t see a difference between that and what you’re saying. Just re-bind your keys if you want it on your mouse buttons. :S

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

I might be misunderstanding you but the skills I was referring to aren’t boons and have nothing to do with aegis.. You press the button and for 2 seconds the character uses his/her weapon to block an attack. I really don’t see a difference between that and what you’re saying. Just re-bind your keys if you want it on your mouse buttons. :S

I never played a Mesmer actually. But WTF you can hold an active block with a scepter and my guardian cant with a shield?

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

This is also no Vindictus but they had no problem copying the dodge and telegraph mechanics from that game did they?

Vindictus invented dodging and telegraphed attacks.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

I never played a Mesmer actually. But WTF you can hold an active block with a scepter and my guardian cant with a shield?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield_of_Absorption
wat?

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield_of_Absorption
wat?

A block buff isn`t really considered an active block because you rely on a cooldown and after you use it, it becomes inactive until it refreshes.. it`s just a buff. I am referring to holding down my right mouse button and I wilk hold up my shield and block every single attack thrown at me until I release my button. Look at how you can block in ddo, raiderz, neverwinter, oblivion, skyrim, vindictus, and god knows how many others. That is active block.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

how block mechanic in this game act as “OOooo S^ht button” in WoW, cooldown took too long to be called blocking.

while i have an idea how blocking should work.
we have stamina bar for dodge right, now integrate that with active blocking.
now you have to bind key as dodge/shield, like shift.
*if you move and press shift you dodge, but if you didnt move and press shield you raise shield to block.
*every hit that blocked reduce stamina 1/10 and will regenerate stamina 3x slower than normal.
*block only work if attacked from front.
*stamina regen slower while moving, and normal rate while staying still
*apply to all shield user

now we have parry,
*disabled if using shield
*work like shield but cannot block projectile
*each hit parried reduce 1/5 of stamina
*all class with one hand weapon can parry

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

(edited by SchuMidas.4782)

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

edrickdebane.9134

while i have an idea how blocking should work.
we have stamina bar for dodge right, now integrate that with active blocking.
now you have to bind key as dodge/shield, like shift.
*if you move and press shift you dodge, but if you didnt move and press shield you raise shield to block.
*every hit that blocked reduce stamina 1/10 and will regenerate stamina 3x slower than normal.
*block only work if attacked from front.
*stamina regen slower while moving, and normal rate while staying still
*apply to all shield user

The above quote is the kind of block I was talking about, something integrated in the current combat system, that would improve the game. personally I was thinking along the same line with some kind of use of stamina.
I would like to see a difference to blocking if you are currently using a shield compared to not having one, example: improved damage reduction…an less stamina per block.
The reduction of stamina regeneration after blocking might be to much from a program stand point…..It would make it less complex to just play with the amount of stamina it takes per hit then adding to many imputs into the system..

now we have parry,
*disabled if using shield
*work like shield but cannot block projectile
*each hit parried reduce 1/5 of stamina
*all class with one hand weapon can parry

Now Parrying never came to mind but this is something that is made for an extra effect on skill attacks of weapons…..for current and future weapons added to this game.
And yes if you would add this to the current combat system…..some skills would have to be changed…..but a lot of the current blocking skills prevent push back effects…where as this block should not completely prevent it, that would be to powerful…..it should reduce damage by a set percent of the incoming attack at a cost of stamina, and I would make push back while blocking not knock you down… move you a bit yes…

before the haters start foaming at the mouth ….that is not GW2…..arrrrhhhhh.
don’t you wont this game to grow and improve……????

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

So you want block to drain your stamina and eat hits? So like dodge but stationary? So what’s the point?

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

edrickdebane.9134

So you want block to drain your stamina and eat hits? So like dodge but stationary? So what’s the point?

The point I’m trying to say is if you add a was to reduce incoming damage with out dodging….your only giving the player more options for combat.
For an example the current TA fight with the Clockwork Oak-heart boss at the end. Stacking under him makes the fight easier… if you had a way to block every time he did his super slams when you do miss a holograph kills to duce his shielding. you would not go bouncing off with each hit and not be knock on your butt….increase your up time and improving damage.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

The point I’m trying to say is if you add a was to reduce incoming damage with out dodging….your only giving the player more options for combat.
For an example the current TA fight with the Clockwork Oak-heart boss at the end. Stacking under him makes the fight easier… if you had a way to block every time he did his super slams when you do miss a holograph kills to duce his shielding. you would not go bouncing off with each hit and not be knock on your butt….increase your up time and improving damage.

That’s a pretty bad example, that move shouldn’t be counterable by any form of dodging as it’s a punishment mechanic.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

edrickdebane.9134

Ok back to topic………adding a block mechanic

How blocking should work.
- The block mechanic would be key bind to “right mouse click” (sense this key currently does nothing in game)
- Blocking a attack would reduce your stamina by 1/10 it’s total amount.
- Damage is reduce by 50% for block attacks.
- Push back effects have there distance reduce by 50% and don’t knock you down.
- If you or currently using a shield damage reduce and distance reduction is improve both to 75% each, and Stamina cost is reduce to 1/20.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Being able to block on demand without a cooldown would conflict with dodge rolling and wouldn’t make much sense.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

forgot to add, if shield block only block frontal physical damage and projectile but doesnt block ground sysmbol/condition like TA oil flame electric etc etc

but why do we need block is to protect our fellow friend, there is no holy trinity in this game, but if you stay melee at the boss, they will kill you 1st, with blocking at least boss will try to kill you first but if you stamina get too low you will not be able to dodge and die a horrible death.

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

The only way I see it working is if you are able to slot your stamina bar with either dodge rolling or blocking. Difference being something like edrickbane suggested only not that good. Maybe you’re able to block 3 consecutive attacks before stamina is fully depleted and it makes you take 1/2 the damage you would have taken? So its like dodge roll but not and mainly aesthetical.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

- The block mechanic would be key bind to “right mouse click” (sense this key currently does nothing in game)
- If you or currently using a shield damage reduce and distance reduction is improve both to 75% each, and Stamina cost is reduce to 1/20.

Why can`t the block actually block? Why does everyone have to tack on some negative modifier in order to make something presentable? If I block something with my shield and it eats my endurance, then it should count as a full block as if it were a dodge completely negating the hit. I can either dodge out of the way or remain stationary and still avoid the incoming damage as long as my endurance doesn`t run out. It don`t get any easier then that. No sense in trying to arenanet a basic function and making it worse.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

Why can`t the block actually block? Why does everyone have to tack on some negative modifier in order to make something presentable? If I block something with my shield and it eats my endurance, then it should count as a full block as if it were a dodge completely negating the hit.

And then you only add the option to dodge without moving (which isn’t necessarily bad). If we have to discuss a new mechanic, we should at least make it, well, new ^^’
GW1 had block and dodge working the same way. They quickly removed dodge, realizing the semantic difference was serving no purpose.
So while putting a negative modifier isn’t necessary, making block distinct from dodge is. Putting a negative modifier and reducing the cost is a way to make this distinction.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

so let me get this right. anet decided to go with a dodge-roll to avoid damage. you think it should be block, insteakitten

he only one seeing the “this may not be the game for you” in all this?

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

That would make Vigor extremely OP, since it regenerates 10% of your endurance per second.

Throw in kiting and passive HP regen via things like Healing Signet or Regeneration and you end up with bunkers being literally immortal. For example, throw Protection and 50% reduction on a Guardian with Signet of Judgment and you’re looking at 93% damage reduction. Conveniently, Shield 4 on Guardian provides Protection. Oh and they have that 5 point minor trait for vigor on crit. kitten it!

And what about PvE? If you were able to block any attack in PvE, that would make bosses pretty kitten easy as you could just have everyone in your party equip a shield and rotate who’s blocking.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

ya it seems to me this thread is just asking to be able to dodge 20x as much

also… why do all the suggestions say it should be right click? do you guys seriously all keyboard turn? that’ll be most of your problem right there

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

Well to be honest, you don’t really dodge all that well, so no sense adding another skill you won’t use

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

Why can`t the block actually block? Why does everyone have to tack on some negative modifier in order to make something presentable? If I block something with my shield and it eats my endurance, then it should count as a full block as if it were a dodge completely negating the hit.

And then you only add the option to dodge without moving (which isn’t necessarily bad). If we have to discuss a new mechanic, we should at least make it, well, new ^^’
GW1 had block and dodge working the same way. They quickly removed dodge, realizing the semantic difference was serving no purpose.
So while putting a negative modifier isn’t necessary, making block distinct from dodge is. Putting a negative modifier and reducing the cost is a way to make this distinction.

Block and dodge are indeed two different things. Dodging is you physically moving out of the way to avoid damage and blocking is negating damage by using your shield to absorb the hit. You really don`t need to add negatives to just add the illusion of difference.

Why can't i block?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

ya it seems to me this thread is just asking to be able to dodge 20x as much

also… why do all the suggestions say it should be right click? do you guys seriously all keyboard turn? that’ll be most of your problem right there

This thread is asking why you can use a shield but get stuck with jank mechanics with it when they obviously put more thought into all the other weapon skills in the game. Using right click to block is only an example because most of the other games with an active block bind the key to it.