how to make old zones more interesting again

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

At the moment there is little incentive to visit old zones again. The idea:

Give each zone a monthly achievement (it gets reset after a month):
-) find & play 12 different events in that zone (get gold-medal for each)
-) defeat 3 different Champions
-) 2 levelups without dying, (not xp, to make it interesting for low-level players too)

(this would also show people that there can be a great variety of events in a zone instead of them believing that 100% Map-completion is all there is)

the reward should be really good, and most important: it should scale to your level.
-) a lot of T6 crafting- material for lv.80s (to make it seem not so important to farm only high level zones), craftingmats scaled to your level
-) Skillpoints scaled to your level (lv.80 -> 8sp; lv.30 -> 3sp)
-) a part of a Zone-related non-statistical gear-set OR a zone-token

so this could work as a shorttime goal (T6 mats etc) as well as a longterm-goal (you need at least 6months to get a complete set (e.g. Frostgorge Sound —> Corrupted Ice Set)

(additional idea: make a very epic optic set. To get the helmet of that set, you’ll need 4 helmets of zone-related gear sets.)

example: To get the “Knight of Melandru”-Legendary Shoulderpiece, you need 4 Shoulderpieces from different zones (Queensdale, Frostgorge Sound, Kessex Hills & Wayfarer Foothills).

EDIT 1: forgot to mention: These pieces should be bind-on-pickup. Else people would just buy them on the tradingpost

there would be one problem that would come up: Zergs. There needs to be a certain Anti-Zerg mechanic which favours 3-8 players but encourages groups to stay below these number of members, otherwise zergs would trivialize the content.

The big number of zones is one way to split up big groups, since everybody would want another cosmetic gearset, but there has to be something else.

EDIT 2:

ok some problems might come up with the skillpoints and legendaries:

-) 10 skillpoints for a lv.30 charakter is too much. Maybe 10% of the level —> lv.80 character gets 8 skillpoints; lv.30 character gets 3.

-) Legendaries might be a bad description, because the Armorpiece should be cosmetic-only, and not Endgame-gear. A lv.30 character shouldn’t be rewarded with Ascended Gear. Make the new Items like the HoM-Rewards: Skin only + integrated Transmutation-mechanic.

-) 4 different zone-helmets ? mystic forge ? legendary-helmet … this would be a bit shallow. Better: Bring those 4 helmets to a certain Priory-NPC who unlocks a Legendary-Questline for you (similar to the Halloween Event Questline to get to know the story of Mad King Thorn). This would lead you through old zones and gives you lore + at the end the new Legendary Helmet.

EDIT 3:

on a further note I would say that you should find 12 (or so) different events, so that you can’t spawncamp events and do the same on and on. You should be roam around and explore the area to find new events.

This way the players would really learn to know the content Anet has designed for us, other than the content near hearts and PoI only. + it’s more difficult to do

I think Anet shouldn’t be afraid of quests like this Legendary-Questline. To make this working I would suggest a individual interface for Quests like this one and the holiday-event quests. It was very strange to get the new Questhelp/Questtext via Ingame-Mail. If you want to keep the lore-text, you’d have to give up Mail-Space.

Call it a notebook your character uses to keep track of certain things. This way the holiday-Event-quests could stay in there to make it rereadable. Scavenger hunts are fun, if done the right way.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marche.8123

Marche.8123

This is actually a good idea! Not too sure about legendaries mixed in with this, but zone-related equipment set sounds awesome!

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

forgot to mention: These pieces should be bind-on-pickup. Else people would just buy them on the tradingpost

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

there would be one problem that would come up: Zergs. There needs to be a certain Anti-Zerg mechanic which favours 3-8 players but encourages groups to stay below these number of members, otherwise zergs would trivialize the content.

The big number of zones is one way to split up big groups, since everybody would want another cosmetic gearset, but there has to be something else.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JackWolfsong.2690

JackWolfsong.2690

I agree it would be good. 1-5 skill points, 1-5 mystic coins, 1-5 jugs of karma and 2-20 silver would be just enough though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

… These ideas are actually pretty awesome. I hope Anet reads this.

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

ok some problems might come up with the skillpoints and legendaries:

-) 10 skillpoints for a lv.30 charakter is too much. Maybe 10% of the level —> lv.80 character gets 8 skillpoints; lv.30 character gets 3.

-) Legendaries might be a bad description, because the Armorpiece should be cosmetic-only, and not Endgame-gear. A lv.30 character shouldn’t be rewarded with Ascended Gear. Make the new Items like the HoM-Rewards: Skin only + integrated Transmutation-mechanic.

-) 4 different zone-helmets → mystic forge → legendary-helmet … this would be a bit shallow. Better: Bring those 4 helmets to a certain Priory-NPC who unlocks a Legendary-Questline for you (similar to the Halloween Event Questline to get to know the story of Mad King Thorn). This would lead you through old zones and gives you lore + at the end the new Legendary Helmet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

Very cool ideas!
Keep’em coming!
I hope Anet is listening :P

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

on a further note I would say that you should find 12 (or so) different events, so that you can’t spawncamp events and do the same on and on. You should be roam around and explore the area to find new events.

This way the players would really learn to know the content Anet has designed for us, other than the content near hearts and PoI only. + it’s more difficult to do

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I think Anet shouldn’t be afraid of quests like this Legendary-Questline. To make this working I would suggest a individual interface for Quests like this one and the holiday-event quests. It was very strange to get the new Questhelp/Questtext via Ingame-Mail. If you want to keep the lore-text, you’d have to give up Mail-Space.

Call it a notebook your character uses to keep track of certain things. This way the holiday-Event-quests could stay in there to make it rereadable. Scavenger hunts are fun, if done the right way.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rainzar.6905

Rainzar.6905

in Suggestions

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

this game could use more quests for regular, non-holiday times.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

/Signed for this. I like this idea a lot. I love revisiting old zones, but unless I’m gathering or helping a friend, there’s not much for me to do there anymore.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Suggestions

Marcus Greythorne.6843

to summarize this idea:

reward returning and exploring of every zone with the focus on exploring & doing something different than the last time (find 3 of 10(?) hidden champions; dynamic events instead of static landmarks)

-) unique zone-rewards
-) longterm-reward: cosmetic untradeable gear
-) shortterm-reward: level-scaled crafting-mats as alternative to farming-routes in Orr.