inspect other people's builds

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vorteckx.7924

Vorteckx.7924

You know like in World of Warcraft you can “inspect” someone, and see his gear, talents, …
I want the same thing in here. I want to be able to compare my thraits with good players and stuf. It would be verry nice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Absolutely not.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Only if they are on your friends list or within your guild.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Ask them and more oft than not someone will tell you but if they don’t want to tell you that’s their right .

in Suggestions

Posted by: DryHumour.1307

DryHumour.1307

LOTRO has this: characters have an “anonymous” toggle which, among other things, controls whether other players can inspect them or not.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dysmetria.2873

Dysmetria.2873

Adding a way to inspect others would just cause more people to start worrying about what gear or specs other people have.

Leave the nosiness and egos in those other games and keep the fun here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Adding a way to inspect others would just cause more people to start worrying about what gear or specs other people have.

Leave the nosiness and egos in those other games and keep the fun here.

This above. Exactly my thoughts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: EliteZ.1682

EliteZ.1682

LOTRO has this: characters have an “anonymous” toggle which, among other things, controls whether other players can inspect them or not.

But then people would say “Allow inspects or no invite” wouldn’t really solve the problem of people checking to get the best players

in Suggestions

DryHumour.1307

I guess I’m too naive — I’d use the feature to get ideas for builds or to see how/why things work, not for griefing.

I’d also have to ask myself if I really wanted to play with folks who were so narrow minded as to reject a build out of hand. I think I’d just find someone else to play with….

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nemitri.8172

Nemitri.8172

I’m with dry humour in the naivtette department, I would like to see what other people run, and if I find the build interesting to ask about it, exchange ideas and the like.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Noone’s stopping you from ASKING them that’s far different than unilateral inspection though . Inspection creates and enforces elitism within the game and should be left out of it .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

The thing about being asked about my build, which I don’t mind sharing, is that I then have to go into lengthy descriptions of stats, gear, skill, etc. I actually made my build on gw2codex and just message them the link to avoid this. It would be nice to give them a snapshot, in game. If someone won’t let me join their party cause of my build I feel sorry for them. It’s been my experience that people requiring certain builds in their party usually suck at playing their character and rely on other people to carry them through tough spots, so I don’t play with them anymore.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

I don’t understand why this wasn’t implemented on release. Maybe give it 4 stages.

1. Block all.
2. Allow guild and friends.
3. Allow guild, friends, and group.
4. Allow everyone.

And if you are joining a dungeon run with it blocked, I will kick you if your profession isn’t needed. Elitist? Maybe. I don’t like wasting time or dieing, so why risk it with some guy that might be wearing mf and/or green gear? On this note, if you can’t afford rare gear, you seriously need to rethink how you are spending gold.

in Suggestions

DryHumour.1307

Noone’s stopping you from ASKING them that’s far different than unilateral inspection though . Inspection creates and enforces elitism within the game and should be left out of it .

The thing about being asked about my build, which I don’t mind sharing, is that I then have to go into lengthy descriptions of stats, gear, skill, etc.

As Julie points out, the current mechanisms for providing this information seem rather tedious to me and accordingly require that I impose significantly on someone else’s goodwill. It’s time consuming to type in your traits/majors and then link all of your equipment. If there were a convenient way to publish the info, I suppose that would be fine too.

Note too that, just as we saw in GW1, gear/build check elitism is apparently already alive and well without this anyway. I don’t imagine it would get any worse with it: it would just save everyone time.

(edited by DryHumour.1307)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

here’s an idea … it’s an MMO, be social, talk to someone.

AR

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

here’s an idea … it’s an MMO, be social, talk to someone.

People lie about their equips, just get the item code from gw2db and paste it in chat, why wouldn’t they lie about builds too.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kagato.4061

Kagato.4061

I agree, I try to inspect someone to see their gear, but then I am reminded that I can’t do this. It just seems like a no-brainer to have in the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I disagree, if people want to see my exact specs they can ask.
The big problem with “inspect” is dat most people will turn it in a requirement for joining runs/parties. I don’t want to go through a thorough inspection just to join a party because the party leader demands I have “the right” build.

And besides, It’s my gear and build. I don’t want everyone nosing around without my permission.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: domxnik.1453

domxnik.1453

No

/15characters

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

in Suggestions

uknortherner.2670

And if you are joining a dungeon run with it blocked, I will kick you if your profession isn’t needed. Elitist? Maybe. I don’t like wasting time or dieing, so why risk it with some guy that might be wearing mf and/or green gear? On this note, if you can’t afford rare gear, you seriously need to rethink how you are spending gold.

People obviously had to waste time with you when you was a low-level noob. Shame really, because they could’ve been spending that time with someone who enjoys the game instead.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

While I don’t want the ‘inspection’ to occur. I find it frustrating that we’ve created a system that encourages people to use ‘magic find’.

I mean what’s to lose? You have a greater chance of getting better gear and a team that helps pick up the slack…..

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I don’t understand why this wasn’t implemented on release. Maybe give it 4 stages.

1. Block all.
2. Allow guild and friends.
3. Allow guild, friends, and group.
4. Allow everyone.

People like you are the exact reason we don’t have this system. Why do you think Arenanet dropped the so called Holy Trinity in the first place? Because they want every class to be equally valuable and everyone should use/wear whatever they want.

Guild Wars 2 is mostly skill based, not gear based. I qoute: “Sure it matters who got the biggest stick but it matters a hell of a lot more who’s swinging it."

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

I can see this being abused for dungeons, “I don’t like your build, kicking you from party”. It is hard enough as a warrior trying to get in a group who doesn’t expect you to tank everything.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Did you forget 4 months ago that was all we had was green gear? If you are right now new to game you are gonna be in the same spot as the person who started 4 months ago. Logically that person needs to be able to run the dungeon just to get experience running the dungeon, and most notable, will probably get his first ever rare piece of gear by doing the dungeon and then his first piece of exotic by doing the dungeon a few more times.

So how is it that you should be given power to stand over people like this to decide if they can continue learning the game?
If every party has a guy in it like you, then new people will never be able to play the game. You do more damage to the community being selfish.

in Suggestions

uknortherner.2670

All the more reason why I’m in favour of single player/scalable dungeons. That way I don’t have to waste my time dealing with elitist dead weights.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

I disagree, if people want to see my exact specs they can ask.
The big problem with “inspect” is dat most people will turn it in a requirement for joining runs/parties. I don’t want to go through a thorough inspection just to join a party because the party leader demands I have “the right” build.

I wear full exotic/ascended with no MF and I find nothing wrong in inspecting or being inspected. I always do my best to help my party and this includes using the best gear possible.

Once I was in a party for 20 lvl FOTM daily run with a player who had only 5 AR. Whole run took longer than usual and we had some problems because of rezing him during combat. If we had had a way to check his equipment (he didn’t tell us about his low AR nor he didn’t avoid agony), we would have never invited him to the party. The run took longer than a standard 20 lvl daily and was definitely more stressful.

See, you can farm AC with poor gear. But when some serious content comes along, no party member should come undergeared. You want the run to be as smooth as possible, why should you waste your time and nerves?. Assuming every party member is equally skilled, it is the gear that will make the run go smoother.

And besides, It’s my gear and build. I don’t want everyone nosing around without my permission.

This is right when you play alone, wrong when in party.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

Terribly bad idea.
It will only lead to people not wearing exotic having tremendous difficulty to groupd for dungeons to get the tokens for the above mentioned exotics…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nagorn.2307

Nagorn.2307

This is not like gw1 when you want to have certains builds to mitigate the dificulty of some dungeons/maps clean, it’s more a matter of skill than build or a combination of them. What i mean is that an unskilled player with a good build it’s still an unskilled player wich will slow you down doing any content. In addition it’s so easy to have the better gear in the game so that may not be the problem.

IMO no inspection is needed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Disig.7169

Disig.7169

I don’t see the problem with inspection, especially if you are curious as to what people are doing with their gear and runes and so forth. It’s not so much a “I want to be the best” thing for me, but a “I am rather curious as to what that toon is doing ankittenoo shy to ask” type thing.

And, you know, a toggle option is always a smart move for those who do not wanna be peeped at.