silly herb prices, solution!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

greetings!

(for your reading pleasure, i put the suggestion itself in bold, all the other stuff is the reasons why)

i am a GW2 chef, it is how i make my money. i make plenty of it, and i like to think i have a good understanding of the hows and whys of the cooking craft in this game.

i have however noticed a trend! some ingredients are VERY expensive:
dill sprig
rosemary sprig
sage leaf
carrot (lvl 0 cooking ingredient)
vanilla bean (considering its a part of a lot of recipes, and used to be a karma item)
plenty of other examples!

a lot of these items have one thing in common, they are harvested.. now i see anet recently added a harvesting booster to the gem store, good idea. but i doubt its going to be enough.

what we need is a way for anet to regulate the price of certain items to a point where its not 16 silver for one measly herb cough dill sprig cough!

i suggest, in some meta achievement fashion, you end up saving a farmers life
(silly potential stories in a reply to this topic)

anyway you have a person working for you, and you can give him, lets say a 100g. now every 10 minutes he takes out 5 silver, and as a result, when you come to speak to him those 10 minutes later, he will give you some random cooking ingredients. every 10 minutes that roll for ingredients happens, so you don’t have to torture your farmer by spamming f near her all day

depending on the drop tables and the rarity of some cooking items, anet is able to make some herbs more or less rare than others.

IF the farmer gives you 5 carrots from the drop table at a single roll, the price might drop to around 1s each (each roll costs 5 silver, you get 5 carrots so 1silver per carrot). if you get 10 the price will drop to or below 50 copper a piece.
if anet wants rosemary to be 5s, then IF you get rosemary from the farmer drop table, you only get 1

if “the community” ends up with too much Kale Leaf, all you have to do is make it more rare.
if the price of Rosemary Sprig continues to go up despite an increased supply, make it less rare, and the increase in supply will press the price down to where it is supposed to be.

benefits:

1. i believe it this solution might end up making some prices less silly,
  2. it could be considered an extra gold sink (the farmer holds on too your gold for a couple of weeks/months.. you might even be able to put up a “chance tax” (on average the items you receive are x% less valuable than the items you put in, BUT you get compensation in karma/luck/…),
  3. it could spread the wealth out across a lot of people (because everyone will have his own patch of dirt under the pale tree, and no one can have more than one patch),
  4. increased supply so chefs like me can make cheaper cooking items for all people to use,
  5. a way for people who cant play as much to still make money in game
  6. regulatory body for anet to have a better grip on the trade post prices, without taking away the control from the players.

these regulations might be yet another thing to do for the anet staff, but i think it might end up saving time for that same staff, because it prevents them from coming up with a bazzilion ideas to regulate the prices of individual items.

another solution is you get the pick the crop that the farmer grows, but depending on where anet want that crops price to be, it will cost more or less copper per 10 minutes to produce one of the crop. or it always costs 5 silver, but the rarer anet wants the crop to be, the longer it takes. or it will always cost 5 silver and always take 10 minutes, but the amount of the crops per 10 minutes varies depending on how rare anet wants the crops to be.

(people who played Runescape might recognize this ;-) )

thnx for reading, even if you read just the bold parts

in Suggestions

Cyto.9401

stories:

• in retaking orr you get to become a landlord for services provided
  • or you imprison scarlet on a farm where she is your slave
  • or Bob who was everyone’s uncle (the sly dog) died and happened to leave you (and all the other people in gw2) his patch of land
  • or a sneaky and very scarred Charr apple merchant decides to give you his orchard and farm in exchange for a sneaky service
  • (asura) or you harness the power of asura golem tech and exploding undead chicken eggs to automate a farm run by a farmgolem called Stanley who decides to (not) do whatever the voice in his head tells him to do and produces random crops too see how he is going to die this time.
  • (norn) after being clean for 1 month, you, and the rest of your Norn triple A group decide to go work on a farm to teach that you can live a happy life without drinking beer, but you can’t figure out where that smell of fermented potato’s keeps coming from.
  • (charr) Tribune Brimstone asks you to assist in guarding a chunk of the site of the Thaumanova reactor explosion to help the iron legion do farming experiments in exchange for some of the random crops that keep growing there.
  • (human) after being blessed by the human god of Life Dwayna you are granted a temple where the priestesses do your every bidding, except grow that one specific crop you need a lot of.
  • (sylvari) you prevent the humans in gladiator armor of capturing the Pale Tree’s avatar and nailing it to a cross, and in exchange she now provides you with her flesh to feed yourself with.
  • etc..

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

While that may help you it would cut into my profits since i gather and sell chef ingredients.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

in Suggestions

Cyto.9401

While that may help you it would cut into my profits since i gather and sell chef ingredients.

that is true, and i understand that you might be threatened by this. and yet i believe this system will benefit even you, since you would be able to gather without even having to run around.
i can understand where you are coming from though..

a flaw in my system! back to the drawing bord

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Why this, having to return to get certain stuff every x minutes reminds me of fb games. I may be a chef too, but strangely not instrested in this.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Suggestions

Cyto.9401

Why this, having to return to get certain stuff every x minutes reminds me of fb games. I may be a chef too, but strangely not instrested in this.

every once in a while would be enough, if you take my numbers it would take 100g00s00c/5s00c*10minutes/60for hours/24for days= just under 14 days to have to go and refill. now for a 100g this might be a little short.. perhaps 2s would be more appropriate. just over a month sounds about right.
you will also get items you don’t need and thus sell on the tp to people who do need them.

this is no way intended to replace going to the trade-post to buy all the materials you need, it is intended to create more supply for items that lack it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

every once in a while would be enough, if you take my numbers it would take 100g00s00c/5s00c*10minutes/60for hours/24for days= just under 14 days to have to go and refill. now for a 100g this might be a little short.. perhaps 2s would be more appropriate. just over a month sounds about right.
you will also get items you don’t need and thus sell on the tp to people who do need them.

this is no way intended to replace going to the trade-post to buy all the materials you need, it is intended to create more supply for items that lack it.

More supply means lower prices for the materials. That might be ok for someone who is a chef but someone like me who gathers just to sell them would end up getting screwed.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

in Suggestions

Posted by: illo.5106

illo.5106

Or Anet would make dishes/food salvable, so you can regain ingredients.

I don’t mind the high prices for some ingredients. If I find something too expensive, I go farm it (what’s kinda easy if you know how) or simply use something else for leveling my chef.

in Suggestions

Cyto.9401

Or Anet would make dishes/food salvable, so you can regain ingredients.

I don’t mind the high prices for some ingredients. If I find something too expensive, I go farm it (what’s kinda easy if you know how) or simply use something else for leveling my chef.

some of the more expensive herbs can only be acquired by gathering a node that also drops other kinds of herbs.
the salvage food idea seems like a nice mechanic, though trying to picture a person salvaging food is a completely different thing. it WOULD work though.

maybe they just need to add the silly priced herbs to drop tables of more nodes, the more above the targeted price, the more nodes its found in?

in Suggestions

Posted by: illo.5106

illo.5106

Sure only some nodes can drop it, but if you don’t mind guesting and hopping onto another server, you can find a lot.

Yipp, easiest solution would to change the drop rate for rare stuff.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I felt the same way about a lot of the herb ingredients, until I discovered that herb nodes do not have equal drop rates among zones. If you harvest a Mature Herb node in one zone, it may have a much different drop rate than a neighboring zone of the same level range. Some of the most valuable herbs have reliable drop rates in certain zones.

I’m not going to spoil the locations, because like it or not, these types of discoveries are one of the few incentives to actually go out and explore.

I have to disagree with the idea of an NPC that gathers for you or a change in drop rates across the board for the randomized nodes. Both of those ideas would greatly reduce the value of gathering.