Interracial love?

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Septin.6487

Septin.6487

Like the title points out im wondering if theres any sylvari that have formed a interracial romantic relationship with another species? Have you guys seen something like this or any lore like this.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: sevtrisen.5247

sevtrisen.5247

I’ve seen something like this. Though it’s just an RP.
A sylvari and a norn.
The lore… I’m not sure. :o

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: FurryPaw.4852

FurryPaw.4852

Uh oh~ Every night my sylvari dreams about hugging someone tight with her branches, tenderly wrapping around them with her roots and covering them with resin O.O’

xD

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

In personal story, Priory route:

Regardless of your race and what race you decided to help, Sieran will hint that she’s ready to fall in love, if you are.
http://i.imgur.com/hRRH1.jpg

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rainman.6978

Rainman.6978

Haha, wow. That line may have been taken slightly out of context. I think it would be hard to fall in love with a sylvari for the other races. They don’t really have some of the needed equipment the other races have, if you catch my drift.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I think she is just hinting that you both might die and she then lost her chance for finding love.

Regardless of the possibility of interracial relationships it will be without ever getting babies, since Anet supposedly have stated at some point that reproduction between races is impossible.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I don’t think that’s what Sieran meant. I’ve wondered about this in GW2. Naturally it would exist IRL if the races in GW2 were real, but as for the GW2 game storyline I haven’t seen a trace of it anywhere between NPCs yet. I’ve played through the game as Priory Sylvari, Vigil Human, and working on Whispers Sylvari so far.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Well, I mean, one of those two sylvari under the bridge in LA had a sense of lust for a norn male:
“did you see what she was wearing?”
“i was to busy looking at, him”

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Zeefa.3915

Well, I mean, one of those two sylvari under the bridge in LA had a sense of lust for a norn male:

I don’t think that is lust… you know you can say things like that and be excited, amazed, impressed etc. with others and how they look without it being anything like attraction or lust…

Maybe consider it this way. Most animals never mate with anything outside of their own species and in most cases not even within the different branches of the same species. It is not a choice or concious… they just… dont.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sicktor.7285

Sicktor.7285

In personal story, Priory route:

Regardless of your race and what race you decided to help, Sieran will hint that she’s ready to fall in love, if you are.
http://i.imgur.com/hRRH1.jpg

I think she means she is ready to go fight, if you are.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Marcusdeblack.2307

Marcusdeblack.2307

Maybe consider it this way. Most animals never mate with anything outside of their own species and in most cases not even within the different branches of the same species. It is not a choice or concious… they just… dont.

Fantasy world. :P
Ask classic elves and humans. How was Half-elves born? :P

Haha, wow. That line may have been taken slightly out of context. I think it would be hard to fall in love with a sylvari for the other races. They don’t really have some of the needed equipment the other races have, if you catch my drift.

Not quite right I say.

Romance and sex is practiced among the sylvari, disregarding gender between those involved.

So you know. It Can happen.

(edited by Marcusdeblack.2307)

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

When I ran the order of whispers story on my mesmer…

…and Tybalt was magically transformed into Demmi as a disguise, he mentioned the form’s nice ‘apples’ (in a suggestive manner, mind you)

That at least hints, to me, that just as we intelligent beings have had the thought cross our minds, so would the different races of Tyria…if they really are capable of intelligent though.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

When you have to retrieve that sword for the pre-Order quests, I recall it being hinted that the sylvari had loved the man who stole the sword and left him to die.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

When I ran the order of whispers story on my mesmer…

…and Tybalt was magically transformed into Demmi as a disguise, he mentioned the form’s nice ‘apples’ (in a suggestive manner, mind you)

That at least hints, to me, that just as we intelligent beings have had the thought cross our minds, so would the different races of Tyria…if they really are capable of intelligent though.

So the charr were really attacking for the humans’ access to apples? Then why did they burn the apple orchards to the ground?! Sheesh, silly charr.

As far as love, different kind of love but there is a sylvari who has an orphanage in northern Dredgehaunt Cliffs. It is multiracial because of the whole sylvari don’t have kids thing.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Not quite right I say.

Romance and sex is practiced among the sylvari, disregarding gender between those involved.

Men and Elves are both made out of meat.

Men and Sylvari are made out of meat and vegetables.

The thought of a meat/vegetable hybrid running around reminds me of that “Kill me…!”-scene out of the Aliens movie.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Twoflower.7031

Twoflower.7031

I think I remember a Pact sylvari in Orr with a crush on a human.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Marcusdeblack.2307

Not quite right I say.

Men and Elves are both made out of meat.

Men and Sylvari are made out of meat and vegetables.

The thought of a meat/vegetable hybrid running around reminds me of that “Kill me…!”-scene out of the Aliens movie.

I was not inclining that they could have kids, just that they can feel strong emotions/love/lust toward each other.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

When you have to retrieve that sword for the pre-Order quests, I recall it being hinted that the sylvari had loved the man who stole the sword and left him to die.

If you do the Priory option to actually witness the event, then you see that the squire who stole the sword was a preteen at the time (which makes sense, given that it happened ~20 years ago and the guy is still young enough to be a champion gladiator.) I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that the game isn’t implying that the Sylvari revere a pedophile.

(edited by Urthona.3198)

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Leo G.4501

If you do the Priory option to actually witness the event, then you see that the squire who stole the sword was a preteen at the time (which makes sense, given that it happened ~20 years ago and the guy is still young enough to be a champion gladiator.) I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that the game isn’t implying that the Sylvari revere a pedophile.

Lol when I read post you quoted, I laughed and said the same thing to myself.

But frankly that guy (the Sylvari that story is about) didn’t seem very smart…well, wise. An army of undead on the horizon and it’s only you and your 12-ish year old squire who is admitting he’s wetting himself in fright. “Let’s stand and fight!”

How about just protecting your squire and retreating? Live to fight another day while teaching your young ward a lesson in wisdom and humility.

I sort of felt sorry for the human dude you ended up wiping the floor with. He probably had some guilt buried deep down and used those fights to somehow prove he wasn’t a coward.

And no, I don’t think Riannoc had a sexual attraction to the human boy Waine. If anything, Riannoc was naive hadn’t the words to describe his feelings for the boy besides love. What he meant to say was he cared deeply for the boy as a role model and teacher.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

The devs have confirmed that they do.

There’s an interracial romance between a human and a sylvari in Cursed Shore.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Sylv.5324

I’m not surprised, and I can see why a Sylvari would be more acceptable than a Human to a Charr. XD

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I’m not surprised, and I can see why a Sylvari would be more acceptable than a Human to a Charr. XD

“Who’s a pretty kitty?!”
“I..am.”
Wow, scariest interspecies flirting ever. lol

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: TJV.6239

TJV.6239

“Who’s a pretty kitty?!”
“I..am.”
Wow, scariest interspecies flirting ever. lol

“I like it when you get all snow leopard on me.”

Shalom
Tyler Joe

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dinny.5310

Dinny.5310

I wasn’t paying enough attention to determine whether there’s any example of a sylvari falling for someone of another race, but amongst the dominant races, inter-race romances/crushes definitely exist. They aren’t very common – which makes sense, as you’d naturally be more attracted to your own kind – but they do exist.

The most amusing one was a male asura and a female charr. Albeit it was one-sided. One guess as to which way it was one-sided.

Dinny [Asura/Guardian] – Annachponae [Asura/Thief]

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Leo G.4501

I wasn’t paying enough attention to determine whether there’s any example of a sylvari falling for someone of another race, but amongst the dominant races, inter-race romances/crushes definitely exist. They aren’t very common – which makes sense, as you’d naturally be more attracted to your own kind – but they do exist.

The most amusing one was a male asura and a female charr. Albeit it was one-sided. One guess as to which way it was one-sided.

Either would be quite amusing to read/watch. Although I always imagined my Asura being the same way, having a preference to women outside of his species for one reason or another.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hierofan.2415

Hierofan.2415

Given the fact that Sylvari consider first and foremost love as inspiration, falling in love with somebody from another race would be possible. Sexual intercourse is another matter.

“To a sylvari, love is about inspiration, and it has nothing at all to do with the physical form.” That’s from the official wiki guys… The page is here
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sylvari

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

found another example while running up to the Secluded Glen in Fields of Ruin I saw a male Norn NPC standing near, he must be an uncommon spawn as I have never seen him there before.

I talked to him and he just gives more Lore on the sylvari Kirran (sp?) who is buried there… and he confesses that he visits the grave often and even though “she was born of the night cycle, she was the brightest light in my life” ….

What also was interesting is after a minute or so, he walks up to the back of the glen and fades into the rock wall there…..

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Sylv.5324

Given the fact that Sylvari consider first and foremost love as inspiration, falling in love with somebody from another race would be possible. Sexual intercourse is another matter.

“To a sylvari, love is about inspiration, and it has nothing at all to do with the physical form.” That’s from the official wiki guys… The page is here
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sylvari

That is more meant that Sylvari fall in love with folks regardless of their looks or race.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Actually they can and they do. Look at mules and ligers for two examples. Admittedly they’re usually found in captivity but it’s not some sort of forced breeding or artificial insemination – you pretty much put a male and a female of each species together and wait. (And in fact I think the first ligers in zoos were the result of keepers assuming that wouldn’t happen.) There’s also been sightings in the wild of a new species/sub-species which looks like it’s going to end up with the name golar bear – a cross between grizzlys and polar bears.

There are other examples too, but those are probably the best known.

I seem to remember seeing something in one of the DnD books, addressing the question of why most mixed race individuals were half human which effectively said if it’s physically possible there is a human somewhere willing to give it a go. I have to say based on some real life people I agree with their conclusion. If there was any race on this planet more humanoid than chimpanzees I think gay marriage would suddenly seem like a relatively minor issue for conservatives.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Marcusdeblack.2307

found another example while running up to the Secluded Glen in Fields of Ruin I saw a male Norn NPC standing near, he must be an uncommon spawn as I have never seen him there before.

I talked to him and he just gives more Lore on the sylvari Kirran (sp?) who is buried there… and he confesses that he visits the grave often and even though “she was born of the night cycle, she was the brightest light in my life” ….

What also was interesting is after a minute or so, he walks up to the back of the glen and fades into the rock wall there…..

Nothing unusual.
It was more father/daughter relationship.

And Killeen, not Kirran… and That Was Gullik Oddson. Those are characters from Ghosts of Ascalon book. Read the book and you will know what was beetwen those two.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Atlas.9704

Killeen was cool in that story.
I miss her and Snaff

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

“And Killeen, not Kirran… and That Was Gullik Oddson. Those are characters from Ghosts of Ascalon book. Read the book and you will know what was beetwen those two”

thanks, i knew i got the name wrong.

is that an actual paperback book? or something from Guildwars 1 lore? I never played GW1 at all.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

“And Killeen, not Kirran… and That Was Gullik Oddson. Those are characters from Ghosts of Ascalon book. Read the book and you will know what was beetwen those two”

thanks, i knew i got the name wrong.

is that an actual paperback book? or something from Guildwars 1 lore? I never played GW1 at all.

It’s an actual paperback book. Most major bookstores should carry it. It’s written by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Atlas.9704

It is also available in epub format, the second book as well, I’ve preordered for the third one which will hopefully release this summer.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Zeefa.3915

Actually they can and they do. Look at mules and ligers for two examples. Admittedly they’re usually found in captivity but it’s not some sort of forced breeding or artificial insemination – you pretty much put a male and a female of each species together and wait. (And in fact I think the first ligers in zoos were the result of keepers assuming that wouldn’t happen.) There’s also been sightings in the wild of a new species/sub-species which looks like it’s going to end up with the name golar bear – a cross between grizzlys and polar bears.

There are other examples too, but those are probably the best known.

I am well aware of ligers and mules. Lions and Tigers are however branches of the same species… the big cats. As are horses and donkeys (equine). If you look more carefully at what I said, I said that MOST animals don’t even breed withing BRANCHES of the same species. I indicated that it does happen. However when it comes to different species say cats and dogs, that have not been known to happen ever. At least I would be shocked to find out of such thing. Now norn and human could argueably be branches of the same kind of species… they look mostly the same. But as for charr, asura, sylvari those are as different as rodents, cats and… well… flowers.
Even though we call them races in game the more correct term would be species. Very different species, with the sylvari as different as flowers are to mammals. At least the other 4 “races” got mammal in common… but mammal is a pretty wide term too.

So anyways… these 5 “races” are all sentient and in that case it is highly possible that attraction goes away from what is the instinct and what is natural. So perhaps love is possible between the races. Actually I can’t see why not really… I was just making a suggestion on why it would not happen… or at least that it would be something quite rare.
And love or not… they cannot reproduce, as is stated by lore, so there wont be any half norn, half humans anywhere. Or half anything else.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

However when it comes to different species say cats and dogs, that have not been known to happen ever. At least I would be shocked to find out of such thing.

Here’s one good example of a bird attempting to mate with a human: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A7uFSbRJ5w

Now, you could argue that that incident was an anomaly because the kakapo in question (“Sirocco”) was originally raised in captivity before being released into the wild and may have imprinted onto humans, but there have also been recorded instances of wild dolphins trying to initiate sexual contact with humans (both males AND females). I’m sure that if I did enough research, I’d turn up examples of other species who initiated sexual play with humans on their own accord too.

Of course, none of these encounters would ever lead to viable offspring, but it just goes to show that there ARE unusual sexual tastes among creatures other than humans.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Zeefa.3915

However when it comes to different species say cats and dogs, that have not been known to happen ever. At least I would be shocked to find out of such thing.

Here’s one good example of a bird attempting to mate with a human: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A7uFSbRJ5w

Now, you could argue that that incident was an anomaly because the kakapo in question (“Sirocco”) was originally raised in captivity before being released into the wild and may have imprinted onto humans, but there have also been recorded instances of wild dolphins trying to initiate sexual contact with humans (both males AND females). I’m sure that if I did enough research, I’d turn up examples of other species who initiated sexual play with humans on their own accord too.

Of course, none of these encounters would ever lead to viable offspring, but it just goes to show that there ARE unusual sexual tastes among creatures other than humans.

Ok there are exceptions, there always is, but it still stands that MOST (hence not all) species would not attempt such things. And granted dogs will pretty much hump anything. Guess I stand somewhat corrected lol.
I will still say it is more unusual than common though.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Ok there are exceptions, there always is, but it still stands that MOST (hence not all) species would not attempt such things. And granted dogs will pretty much hump anything. Guess I stand somewhat corrected lol.

I don’t think that we can really compare it to Earth species, though, because Tyria has five species that are equally sentient, have more or less equally evolved societies, and routinely interact with each other on a cooperative basis – whereas in the real world there isn’t another species equivalent to humans.

There’s nothing else that’s as similar to the human race in the real world as the fantasy Tyrian races are to each other, so I don’t think we really have a point of comparison from our own world.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

When a dog humps your leg, it is not trying to hump a human – it is trying to hump another dog in it’s pack because that’s how a family pet sees the human members. It is not trying to create a halfbreed or anything.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Of course. I don’t think anybody was arguing that it was more common for members of different species to be attracted to species other than their own (you’d have serious reproduction issues if that were the case!) It’s also obvious that most NPCs of the various races are attracted to their own kind, since examples of interracial relationships are hard to find throughout the game. At the same time though, there is ample evidence to indicate that cross-species relationships do occur from time to time.

There’s not really enough evidence to state that Sylvari are more attracted to non-Sylvari, however. There appear to be plenty of paired Sylvari in the Grove and throughout the Sylvari personal stories, for one thing.

Interracial love?

in Sylvari

Posted by: RedGlow.2715

RedGlow.2715

I was quite impressed by the conversation too, found it really funny. Also because the norn was… well, VERY norn. big, bulky, bearded. he would break that little sylvari O_O