Sylvari Names

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

One of my favorite subjects around Guild Wars 2 was the Sylvari naming.
alot of people who wanted to be Lore friendly faced an issue because there were not hints like with Charr or Asura naming.
So there was a debate on how do you choose a lore friendly name.

how did you choose and what did you call your Sylvari?

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

How about SunRain? I got some more creative ones for you:

GrassPlant
BrownDirt
Weed

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Formis Sage.2638

Formis Sage.2638

For me the greatest problem was that Sylvari generally don’t use surnames, and creating original one-word name that doesn’t use the typical fantasy process of combining two words can get kinda challenging .
But I didn’t really think about it, as my usually used Cayline sounded fine to me as Sylvari name, only it was already taken so I was forced to use a surname.

So I ended up with Cayline Myrinael. There wasn’t any complicated thought process behind it, just to find something suitable for the first name.

“Sometimes we all just need to be shown a little kindness.”

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

How about SunRain? I got some more creative ones for you:

GrassPlant
BrownDirt
Weed

suprisingly when i started SunRain was taken, and i called my charecters by a slightly more um.. northren names?
Dreove – my main
Xeove – my other Sylvari

my human got the name Suns Rain actualy.

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Teleute.1307

Teleute.1307

I’d argue that there were hints, but perhaps not as obvious as Charr or Asuran naming. From reading the books, the names Faolain and Caithe alone gave me some pretty strong indication that I needed to look into some double vowel names.

I considered plenty of nice enough Irish or Welsh names, but ultimately went with an old myth favorite of mine which still fit pattern – Leuke

Leuke (or Leuce) was a white popular dryad, and basically Pluto’s wife before Persephone. Pretty good for my lady Necro, I thought. I was prepared to do ‘Leuke of the Cycle of Night’ or Leuke Nightbloom if I couldn’t get the first name alone, but luckily I chose my obscure Greek well and it didn’t come to that.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zeathy.2810

Zeathy.2810

I believe their names take inspiration from the Celtic families. They also don’t have last names unless emulating humans. This is only as I understand it though, and is not based on some grand knowledge. I chose Broin as it fits this theme.

Alpha Rain Dog | Rain Dogs now recruiting on Tarnished Coast. [PvX – Light RP – Casual]

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Warlock.2461

Warlock.2461

There’s a lot of info on naming here http://guildwars2roleplay.wikispaces.com/Naming+Conventions

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ritz.3619

Ritz.3619

I wanted to name mine Rotten Tomatoes but someone took it. I settled for Olive Oil on my thief. My Sylvari mesmer is Devoted to Deceit though, not really lore based but Devoted is a name I often use in my MMOs.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Back when GW2 was announced in 2007 and I learned of the sylvari I created a name and five years later I am using that name in-game. My sylvari mesmer is named Sarvyinea. I created it before actually hearing any other sylvari names but I do think it fits ^^;

No real thought process, it just kinda got created.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nayukhuut.4269

Nayukhuut.4269

Nythaenae for my ranger and Tyrvaenal for my mesmer.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: CasualCanadian.7536

CasualCanadian.7536

I used Willow. I thought that was a cool name for a plant race.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Norwegian Hobo.7905

Norwegian Hobo.7905

Yeah, I’ve been planning on rolling a female sylvari, but I’m having a hell of a time trying to come up with a name. I’ve been going through all that stuff in Warlock’s link, and more, but nothing seems to click., it’s really starting to annoy me.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: pyrokinesis.6507

pyrokinesis.6507

I ended up going with an elven inspired spin with Nyare. I think it came from a Quenyan translation (yeah) of Satu? Satu means fairy tale or fable and I thought that was an appropriate name meaning for a mesmer.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

Mine ended up being Illushia. I’m not sure exactly where it came from, to be honest. But I did end up making an alt, and naming her Lynshier. It was originally going to be Lynir, but I thought changing it to be Lynshier made it sound a little closer to Celtic or Gaelic or whatever they call it. =x

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

(edited by Illushia.3721)

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Leold.7201

Leold.7201

My Mesmer is named Tahlaer, my Ranger is named Rhovanor and my Elementalist is named Aerendyll. The first two I’ve used many times before in other games, the last I got off a site.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Maireid.1786

Maireid.1786

My sylvari main is called Maibh. After Queen Maibh who started the battle of Culloden because she wanted a pretty cow to match her husbands.

I love the old Gaelic stories.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Wolfgang Hype.8970

Wolfgang Hype.8970

A friend of mine mentioned that some Arthurian lore was used for the sylvari (The Green Knight for example) so I used that as a bit of a starting point and a random name generator. After finding several names I liked and finding them all taken I decided to use a surname despite their sparse use among sylvari. I figured a fitting source would be something plant based so I looked up the “language of flowers” on wikipedia for something that fit my character’s personality.

Tarnished Coast – Association of Classy Tyrians [ACT]
Shyamal- Asuran Necromancer | Varg Houtman- Norn Ranger
Nemo Randolf- Human Guardian

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: AstroCat.7628

AstroCat.7628

You can have 2 words names, it’s just that the second name isn’t a family name. It could be something significant to them or an additional descriptor. I choose Aedan Nightshade with a little lore based story to go with it for fun. Nightshade is not his family name or clan name or anything like that, it’s kind of like a 2 word first name.

Wardens of Destiny – Tarnished Coast
M: Aedan Nightshade (Sylvari Necromancer)

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Xera Wavesong.1286

Xera Wavesong.1286

Bessebozz (translates approximately to Berryblue) for my ranger she is mainly dark purple with bright green leafs in the branches on her head
Frambrosa (framboos Dutch = raspberry in English, rosa in Latin = rose, she is my pink sylvari) for my elementalist
Riverdew for my blue/pale green sylvari mesmer (no Dutch used)

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rinzei.9304

Rinzei.9304

I had read in a few other forums that Sylvari names were based on Irish, Gaelic, and Welsh names. I’m a fan of Welsh names to begin with, so I did a search and found Ffion. It felt weird having a one-part name after GW, so I went with Ffion Auryl. Not sure where Auryl came from – just thought it fit nicely.

Main: FFion Auryl | Sylvari Necromancer | Dusk Born | Charming
Alt: Sharl Thorne | Norn Guardian | Bearborn | Honorable
Alt: Afanen Braith | Human Ranger | Commoner | Honorable

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

If you do a little digging you will see some of the names of the sylvari are actually names of our plants or plays on them. It seemed to me Caithe is a play on Caltha palustris, you can see a bunch of scientific plant names – http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/php/plants.php?action=indiv&byname=scientific&keynum=21

For my Thief I was going for Camas initially but 20 min into pre-launch that names was taken. I tried 20 other names that you will see if you look at that link and they were all taken. I had to settle on Death Camas which is an old name I used years ago. I really wanted the single name for this guy but oh well.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: NightAngelX.3405

NightAngelX.3405

I wish I could change my name after I created it. I am new to Guild Wars (and MMOs in general) and was trying to think of something ‘different’ but I see at least one sometimes 2 characters with my name every time I play. (name picked was Nyx Forest, NightAngelX is my human’s name)

Will there ever be an option to change your character’s name?

Regardless I love my slyvari ranger! I played a human necromancer at first but didn’t really like her and was getting bored with the game after only a week and thought I’d try a new character and race and I absolutely love the sylvari storyline and starting levels thus far.

Thanks!

(edited by NightAngelX.3405)

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ampere.7319

Ampere.7319

I chose the name Lanach for my Sylvari Elementalist. I took it from the word Dealanach, which is Scottish Gaelic for lightning.

As you may have guessed, I stay mostly in Air attunment.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dawniel Garnparn.4183

Dawniel Garnparn.4183

Gramen Nox for my sylvari thief. It’s Latin for “plant of darkness.”

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Calysto.7469

Calysto.7469

I went with the name Erin Macha for my Sylvari Ranger. The Sylvari seem to draw from celtic/gaelic styled names, and to my knowledge, Erin is sorta celtic for Peace, and Macha is War.

Of course, I could be completely wrong on that, but if I am, I don’t wanna know and have her name spoiled. So shush.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Merianas.4968

Merianas.4968

I named my ranger Arviû Aïsolon. It’s a combination of two names form a fantasy book I recently read and somehow found them fitting for a Sylvari.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Janen.7250

Janen.7250

I named my Sylvari earth elemtalist “Strawberry Sue”… Mostly because I only knew they were plants and have never been really good at roleplay and lore :P

I see dead bananas O.o

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

Sylvari names are Celtic/Gaelic inspired, yes.

I had it stuck in my head for whatever reason that my Sylvari’s nickname would be “Pie” because someone misheard its name, so I called it Paidragh. That word doesn’t actually exist, but it looks proper enough in my opinion.
If the name had been taken, I would’ve added an “of Night” to it, since it’s night-born, but luckily, I didn’t have to.

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

I have one character of each race, and I admit Sylvari were my least favorite before creation.

So I gave my guy the mushroom head, painted it red, and named him Redcap Sky. Very original, subtle, and deep… I know.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

Sameri is the name of my sylvari mesmer. I write stories myself, and one of the main characters has that name. ^^" My other ingame characters ‘resemble’ characters from my own stories too

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Xurix.8760

Xurix.8760

My Sylvari Ranger is named Apachtree.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Tobias Deathseeker.5127

Tobias Deathseeker.5127

Daegan the Dreamer, I figured out the Celtic/Gaelic naming the minute I saw Niamh, which is the name of a Roman-Catholic Friend who’s family is from Ireland. Sadly, just Daegan was taken from the minute the headstart started, so I figured I’d descibe him a bit more.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dafariel.6420

Dafariel.6420

Caleus would be a good name, and also Melandria!

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Marvo Pandaros XXV.7239

Marvo Pandaros XXV.7239

I ended up calling my character “Deadly Delphinium” since the the color scheme of my Sylvari is based on the Delphinium plant

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Wotan.2034

Wotan.2034

I named my Sylvari Requiem. Pretty much nailed it.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

My sylvari’s name is Virgo. I’m not really sure that suits lore though. :P

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Makesnosenseman.2508

Makesnosenseman.2508

My sylvari’s name is Casanovess. I named her that cause that’s what I name all my first female characters in MMOs. =]

Casanovess~Sylvari Mesmer, Dragonbrand
Favorite quote in GW2: “Ideas are like cream. The good ones rise to the top.”

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

My first is Esya Silverwind. My first and biggest love in MMO’s was an elf character named Esya. I felt it fits a sylvari as well, even though it does not follow the naming convention used by Anet. And the character does feel a lot like that character back then again. Then Esya is a name that is used often, and rather than trying to be the one getting that name first, I decided to add a descriptive name. I wanted Whisperwind, but as I have many characters and run a guild I thought it would be good to go with a recognizable theme which ended up to be “Silver”.

My second one was also an elf in another MMO named Naevia. I googled the name before creating the character as it has a Latin ring to it and it turned out there is a plant with Naevia in the name. She got Silverblade as “surname” as she is a thief.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: AsherTalos.6478

AsherTalos.6478

My mesmer’s name is Cestrieus Nocteir. The name gets it’s roots from the scientific name of the lady of the night flower, I changed a few letters around to make it sound more like a actual person’s name though. I’m really fond of this name to be honest.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Iralith.7813

Iralith.7813

I see a couple of sources for Sylvari names—the Celtic stuff mentioned above, but also the broader, weirder, less single-source realm of Arthurian names. They clearly have King Arthur in mind for at least some of their content (I’m thinking of Bercilak, named after the relevantly colored character from “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.”)

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

My Ranger is Ailyn Bramblethorn.
I love that GW2 allows for multiple words in names so all of my characters have a 1st & last name.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

My mesmer is named Riaghan, Celtic for ‘little king.’ it’s where we get the english Ryan from.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Aegrahm.4952

Aegrahm.4952

My sylvari’s name is Aegrahm, which I made up lol. I wanted it to sound Celtic or Gaelic, but didn’t want to use an actual Celtic name, so I hope it does the job. For inspiriation, here are some Welsh names that fit the bill rather well:

Aneirin or Aneurin(Welsh for “noble”)
Braith (Welsh for “speckled”)
Cadfael (Welsh for “battle prince”)
Cadoc (from the Welsh “cad” which means “battle”)
Drystan (Welsh form of the name Tristan)
Rhiannon (Welsh for “great queen”)

These are just some of my favs, there are a lot out there! And, as others have stated, check out some Arthurian names, along with Irish, Breton, and Pictish names. They are all great places to find some inspiration!

*I would like to point out, however, that most Sylvari only have one name, which is why mine is only called Aegrahm. So, if you want to fit the lore better, maybe try and stick to just a first name.

(edited by Aegrahm.4952)

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: SinisterNL.5329

SinisterNL.5329

Mine is Sylsin.

Syl from Sylvari and Sin from my “internet name” SinisterNL

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Myron.6732

Myron.6732

Mine was originally going to be Myron but since it was taken I named him Myran instead. Thank God for the headstart :P

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

My reasoning was that a Sylvari should have a tree based name. I am also South Asian and wanted to give her a name in my native tongue and of a plant native to South Asia. So I wikied Native Indian Trees and picked the Asvattha Tree, aka Sacred Fig, to name my Sylvari after. She’s female so I changed Asvattha to Asvatthi. I am really happy with her name!

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Contender.5428

Contender.5428

Sylvari are my favourite race in GW2, and I try to give them plant names that match the colour I’ve made them. My yellow/orange Mesmer is Fritillaria. My blue Ranger is Anchusa. I was hoping they could be names of plants I have in my garden, but most plant names had already been taken by the time I made them. At least I have a fritillaria, but not an anchusa (will have to look for one next spring). I have a blackish necromancer I would like to rename… hopefully that will be possible in the future.

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: gamerRazmus.3862

gamerRazmus.3862

I have a group of names I tend to re-use from game to game. But it seemed to me that sylvari should have a one-word name. I was lucky enough to get my top choices for my two sylvari, Arazmus and Micaelan. They may not be very lore-friendly but I’m happy with them.

Twitter: @gamerRazmus
Tumblr: @gamerRazmus, My Adventures in Gaming
Tarnished Coast

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

You can have 2 words names, it’s just that the second name isn’t a family name. It could be something significant to them or an additional descriptor. I choose Aedan Nightshade with a little lore based story to go with it for fun. Nightshade is not his family name or clan name or anything like that, it’s kind of like a 2 word first name.

That’s fun, because my necro sylvari is named Noxxi Nachtschatten
Nachtschatten is german for nightshadow/ nightshade
:D

My other sylvari (an engineer) is named Lya Wurzelchen (the german -chen makes the name, in that case the word root, more cute.. like Aunt → Aunty/ Auntie)

Sylvari Names

in Sylvari

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

per the lore and the strategy guide they lean toward Celtic naming patterns
Last names are not a big thing, but I couldn’t resist giving my 2 Sylvari a last name

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred