Why do Sylvari have genders?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

When they are asexual? Apart from the fact that players need the ability to pick one in order not to feel shafted vs the other races?

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Amaethon.8710

Amaethon.8710

They are made in the image of humans. Humans have genders. Thus, Sylvari also have genders. (They also behave in a similar fashion; eating, drinking, having sex, etc…)

Çyhyraeth – Sylvari Elementalist – Order Of The Fallen Watch [EXEO] | Darkhaven

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

This^.

They are the Pale Trees version of a human being but she only knew what they looked like from the outside so Sylvari is what we get

in Sylvari

Posted by: Garsid.9516

Garsid.9516

Flowering plants do have genders.

It’s weird.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

Flowering plants do have genders.

It’s weird.

All plants have genders for as far as I know. There could possibly be some asexual reproducing female-only plants that I don’t know of.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Amaethon.8710

Amaethon.8710

Yeah, that too. All plants have genders (even if they are both genders). For example, some plants must be separated by gender so that the males don’t pollinate the females and impregnate the buds, creating seeds. Likewise, some plants require a male to be grown in close proximity in order to achieve pollination when it is desired.

Çyhyraeth – Sylvari Elementalist – Order Of The Fallen Watch [EXEO] | Darkhaven

in Sylvari

Oglaf.1074

Sylvari are not plants in the sense that they do not reproduce through pollination.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

in Sylvari

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Sylvari don’t reproduce period, they aren’t even asexual. That being said, the are TECHNICALLY genderless, according to multiple sources. To add there are plants who have members that are either male or female (dioecious) but most plants have both reproductive organs, but the sylvari have only one each based on their gender obviously. And its useless in reproductive terms since two sylvari cannot make another sylvari.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Cato.5970

Cato.5970

Olaf, my theory is “So they can wear the game’s shared, but gendered, armor”, combined with “Marketing told us that players wouldn’t relate to a species of androgynous neuters”.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Martacus.4085

Martacus.4085

Gender =/= Sex. The Sylvari have no sex, but they do have genders as gender is a cultural construct.

in Sylvari

Dustfinger.9510

Sylvari aren’t even plants in the sense that they may or may not have genders. They are more like the fruit of the Pale Tree. They have functional sexual organs to mimic humans but it is only to mimic humans. They do not have the internal organs required to carry children.

They are a collection of abstract notions the Pale Tree had about what made up the human, as she really only saw the surface. They are a tree’s interpretation of humans.

http://www.talktyria.net/2011/08/11/sylvari-lore-interview-with-ree-soesbee-kristen-perry/

in Sylvari

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Gender =/= Sex. The Sylvari have no sex, but they do have genders as gender is a cultural construct.

I would argue that they have sexes as well, since they have bodies that biologically differ. They can’t reproduce, but it’s been stated that they otherwise have all the appropriate parts. Because apparently this:

“So they can wear the game’s shared, but gendered, armor”, combined with “Marketing told us that players wouldn’t relate to a species of androgynous neuters”.

Which makes me sad.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Martacus.4085

Martacus.4085

Well, sex implies reproduction. They can’t be said to have sexes if they can’t reproduce. I agree though, the dimporphism is there…but no sex. Day weerd doe.

in Sylvari

Dustfinger.9510

sex
[seks] Show IPA

noun
1. either the male or female division of a species, especially as differentiated with reference to the reproductive functions.

2. the sum of the structural and functional differences by which the male and female are distinguished, or the phenomena or behavior dependent on these differences.

3. the instinct or attraction drawing one sex toward another, or its manifestation in life and conduct.

it’s not thin ice if it refers to the species in general.

in Sylvari

Oglaf.1074

“especially as differentiated with reference to the reproductive functions.”

Do you even lift, bro?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Maybe it’s a backup system; in case the pale tree ever dies they may possibly be able to develop a fun way to make a new tree.. ;3 That and it makes it easier for my Sylvari to pee.

But outside of lore, it has to work either way. There’s too many guys who love playing female characters and they’d all rage if there were no female Sylvari. FFXI also showed the world gender locking SUCKS. Nice that they’re putting an end to that in the 14 remake.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

Maybe it’s a backup system; in case the pale tree ever dies they may possibly be able to develop a fun way to make a new tree.. ;3 That and it makes it easier for my Sylvari to pee.

As the Pale Tree has more interaction with the other species of Tyria, ‘She’ may evolve her children to become reproductive. None of the Sylvari players are “First Born” so it may be possible that the evolution has already begun.

Or Sylvari may gain the ability to reproduce later in life. As it is, none of them have actually been alive long enough to experience adolescence.

in Sylvari

Dustfinger.9510

Or Sylvari may gain the ability to reproduce later in life. As it is, none of them have actually been alive long enough to experience adolescence.

The oldest are 25 years.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Lilsteele.4567

Lilsteele.4567

Sylvari aren’t even plants in the sense that they may or may not have genders. They are more like the fruit of the Pale Tree. They have functional sexual organs to mimic humans but it is only to mimic humans. They do not have the internal organs required to carry children.

They are a collection of abstract notions the Pale Tree had about what made up the human, as she really only saw the surface. They are a tree’s interpretation of humans.

http://www.talktyria.net/2011/08/11/sylvari-lore-interview-with-ree-soesbee-kristen-perry/

This is a pretty sensible explanation. I’m not sure what else there is to say. Thanks for the link!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Minsue.4297

Minsue.4297

meow well i just have a stick sooooo…

All will know my pain……

in Sylvari

Oglaf.1074

This raises a whole bunch of creepy questions of just how exactly the Pale Tree could know how human genitals would look like…

Do you even lift, bro?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

If you look up the word Asexual, technically it doesn’t apply. I think the word people are looking for is ‘pansexual’.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

in Sylvari

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

I think this all comes down to the question: Do Sylvari have sex?

Obviously Sylvari would only be able to have sex for fun and not for reproductive purposes but that’s not really important here. If they can and do have sex, that means there gender has meaning.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

in Sylvari

Dustfinger.9510

They do have sex but the “gender” of their partner is inconsequential. It really comes down to a philisophical matter.

1. either the male or female division of a species, especially as differentiated with reference to the reproductive functions.

By this definition they, as a race, do not have a reproductive gender.

2. the sum of the structural and functional differences by which the male and female are distinguished, or the phenomena or behavior dependent on these differences.

By this definition they do have structural genders.

So the answer can be yes or no but it really doesn’t matter which one we choose because it would still amount to a description of the same idea. that sylvari can’t sexually reproduce, they have sex for fun but their sexual organs are not a factor in determining who it will be with.

in Sylvari

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Personally I might be inclined to believe that as the Pale Tree grew she observed the world around her and created children that would be at least in some ways familiar to the world around them.

By giving Sylvari the appearance of gender the other races aren’t left feeling as though they’re strange and different.

As an extension of that Sylvari then perform gender as it is dictated/enacted by the other races of Tyria, integrating them further in with the other races. It all works well towards her goal of defeating Zhaitan, which her children end up playing a pretty pivotal role in.

in Sylvari

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

This raises a whole bunch of creepy questions of just how exactly the Pale Tree could know how human genitals would look like…

Have you seen any public restroom constructed in Ventari’s Sanctuary during GW1 days?

Yep, that’s how the Pale Tree knows when they thought they had the big roots to cover them during their private time…

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in Sylvari

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

Just to clarify do you mean Gender as in the social construct or Gender as in their biological Sex?

I think have a gender as in the construct, their physical appearance is purely aesthetic, which is why they have so many “same-sex” partnerships.

in Sylvari

Oglaf.1074

Gender as a social construct. As they have no sexes, genders don’t make any sense ( at least to me).

Do you even lift, bro?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Maybe the pale tree found a way to determine the appearance by the psycological gender an individual develops during the dream. They learn about the concept of gender other races have and feel rather driven to a female or male side. So if a Silvary has a self concept as a female the Silvary who awakens will become an at least femal looking individual.

in Sylvari

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

Wait… how do you guys know whether the Sylvari have sex? Was that actually in the lore??

in Sylvari

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Wait… how do you guys know whether the Sylvari have sex? Was that actually in the lore??

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sylvari
Romance and sex is practiced among the sylvari, disregarding gender between those involved. To a sylvari, love is about inspiration, and it has nothing at all to do with the physical form.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Mizako.6731

Mizako.6731

Word of god:

“Physically, sylvari are male or female, and the relevant external biology is accurate on both […]” – Ree Soesbee, Dream and Nightmare

Also as food for thought (hidden in multiple spoiler tags due to being a rather long text):

“Sylvari fall in and out of love, just like other races do. They have a romanticized view of devotion, and they’re curious about passion in all its forms. There are male and female sylvari, but none has ever produced a child as other races do. Because of this, traditional human-style gender roles have no meaning to sylvari, either in their society or in their romantic relationships. Often, a sylvari’s ardor is expressed with courtly zeal—emotional, empathic, personal—and is not necessarily defined by gender.” -Angel McCoy, The Sylvari Soul

“[T]he sylvari do not segregate by sexual preference. To them, the idea of distinctions for gender, or sexual preference, would seem as odd to them as a distinction based on creamy vs. chunky peanut butter to humans here on earth. Love simply is. If you love someone who is of the same gender, and that love ends, and you begin again with someone of a different gender, there is no distinction; the sylvari simply celebrate that you have found love within your life, and that you are seeking mutual happiness. A sylvari probably wouldn’t even think to ask the gender of your lover if you mentioned that you had one. Sexuality is simply a natural part of life, and so long as it is entered into with good will and joy, the gender doesn’t make a difference. -Ree Soesbee, GayGamer Interview

“To a sylvari, love is about inspiration. Physical touch, ardor, and sensuality are beautiful things, but what the heart feels, what gives joy to the spirit – these are most important, and that has nothing at all to do with the physical form. Love is not bound by gender. It does not ignore the pairing of hearts simply because the bodies are alike. Indeed, the sylvari feel free to love (and love openly) regardless of the physical qualities of their beloved. It would surprise them to hear that someone of any race felt differently. They would say that love is too precious to be passed over simply because someone’s eyes are blue, their hair is dark, or because they are of the same sex.” -Ree Soesbee

“Because of their physical design (male-female gendered), the sylvari are typically ascribed to ‘standard’ gender roles by the other races. This does lead to awkwardness, a bit of confusion, and some eye-rolling on the part of the sylvari, who whisper among themselves that the other races of Tyria are a bit ‘backwards’ when it comes to gender roles. However, most of these misinterpretations are good-natured, caused out of ignorance rather than bigotry, and thus both sides use them as a means of learning more about one another.” -Ree Soesbee, GayGamer Interview

“Within the sylvari, all forms of benevolent love are encouraged. If love makes you and the recipient stronger, if it encourages you to positive action and heroism, then it should be respected and celebrated. The sylvari see this as only natural. The other races are curious about it, true, because many of them aren’t used to seeing that kind of relationship.” -Ree Soesbee, GayGamer Interview

Credit where credit is due: http://guildwars2roleplay.wikispaces.com/A+Comprehensive+Guide+to+All+Things+Sylvari#

in Sylvari

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

Gender as a social construct. As they have no sexes, genders don’t make any sense ( at least to me).

Was what I was thinking, so yeah they don’t really have genders, no gender roles, etc. Their appearance is just for show, so they can fall in love with whom ever they like, and not be in a homosexual relationship

in Sylvari

Posted by: JackassTheX.6351

JackassTheX.6351

“and not be in a homosexual relationship”

What about Caithe and Faolain?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Supasilvafoxy.1247

Supasilvafoxy.1247

Because we’re human I guess and ‘naturally’ think of things/beings in the term of gender, tis how we make sense of the world.

Though wrinkles don’t look pretty, thankfully they don’t hurt.

in Sylvari

Posted by: AnimangaGirl.5348

AnimangaGirl.5348

When i study biology i learn that plants have genders too, but the gender is in same plant is like the plant have the two genders, one part is male an other is female, but some plant are only females or only males, and i think that when that happen they need help of other animals and insects like bees and birds to transfer the ’’eggs’’ to the male

in Sylvari

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

The Sylvari have only been around for 25 years. Some trees and plants take a very long time to start producing flowers and seeds, for example we have fruit trees that are still less than ten years old, and whilst the apples have been producing (very bitter and inedible) fruit since they hit a year old, the pears haven’t even started to flower yet and won’t for another few years.

Maybe the Sylvari just aren’t old enough for their genders to produce offspring.

I am of course ignoring the fact that the world-builders said they can’t, but they recently gave Eir a seventeen year old son out of thin air so they may possibly change their mind on this too :P

in Sylvari

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

That and it makes it easier for my Sylvari to pee.

Best explanation ever.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Sylvari

Posted by: The Arkon.5814

The Arkon.5814

I was wondering because when I filled in the biography I chose the Green Knight for my dream. When I started a quest line a male sylvari said ‘a brute is attacking my beloved’, I got there and saw the green knight beating down a male sylvari. Are sylvari gender less or are those to just gay?

in Sylvari

Posted by: smeen.4237

smeen.4237

Arkon, Sylvari aren’t ‘gay’ (the correct term to that would be homosexual, by the way, gay is just an older term for being happy) they don’t make difference between genders in relationships. It’s been stated in this thread before too.

in Sylvari

Dustfinger.9510

Sylvari have structural genders but not social genders because they have no reproductive genders.

in Sylvari

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Personally I might be inclined to believe that as the Pale Tree grew she observed the world around her and created children that would be at least in some ways familiar to the world around them.

While it doesn’t debunk the explanation, this theory is unlikely for three reasons.

Firstly, Malyck. A Sylvari supposedly from a tree seperate to the Pale Tree, he has no memories of the dream or his grove and seems to be good natured, like our Sylvari. It might not seem like much, but this means there's more than one Sylvari grove and that unless that grove also based Sylvari on humans, their form is naturally what it is. In the personal story for Sylvari characters who believe most in Ventari’s teaching that “Where life goes, so two should you”.

Next, if the Pale Tree WAS basing the Sylvari on existing life, why not centaurs?

Finally, if she designed plant people based on humans, why make them drastically fairer than them?

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Sylvari

Dustfinger.9510

A-Net confirmes sylvari are the Pale trees interpretation of people she saw around her. Not neccesarily a conscious interpretation but definatlly an interpretation.

However, because the race tightly relates to the essence of human due to the Pale Tree’s influences from Ronan, the overall form has a human silhouette. But if you look more closely, you’ll see the forms are really quite alien. They are a collection of abstract notions the Pale Tree had about what made up the human, as she really only saw the surface. They are a tree’s interpretation of humans.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

Arkon, Sylvari aren’t ‘gay’ (the correct term to that would be homosexual, by the way, gay is just an older term for being happy) they don’t make difference between genders in relationships. It’s been stated in this thread before too.

Gay in reference to homosexuals actually means “good as you” as in “we are as good as you”.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Of course, the obvious question in my mind is that, given the fact that sylvari have the external organs, why is it that they haven’t made the obvious gender pairing due to how the parts “fit together”.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Sylvari

Dustfinger.9510

Other parts may also fit together and in a society where their lack of reproductive function promotes loving the personality, then pairing off based on mechanical function would be a purely philosophical choice. And probably not one that a large portion of society would adopt. It would be like humanity in a completely integrated society just deciding to pair off based on hair color. Or height.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Snowy Fullmoon.9845

Snowy Fullmoon.9845

This^.

They are the Pale Trees version of a human being but she only knew what they looked like from the outside so Sylvari is what we get

Also, the Pale Tree was planted as a sapling on a graveyard of Humans, after a centaur massacre 250 years ago (During GW1 time). Hence why they look so much like Humans only plant form.

Bunnies are lazy, yet immortal beings.
Lazy Bunnies [Lazy]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Rubykuby.3427

Rubykuby.3427

Wrong. Sylvari do not have genders, for they live in a truly gender-neutral society.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

oh they have genders just like plants do. only difference is that unlike other races they don’t care about it. if you listen in on some conversations in the story and outside you’ll notice a decent number of same sex pairs. I think anet made sylvari with the mind set that sylvari view everyone equally and don’t judge on appearence by who they are as a person.

#ELEtism

in Sylvari

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Wow, there are a lot of semantic problems in this thread. I guess to make sure people who know the heck I’m talking about, I’ll stick to this standard.

Sex – In reference to biological/physical structure, i.e. Male vs Female vs Intersexed
Gender – In reference to social/behavioral structure, i.e. Masculine vs Feminine vs Genderless
Sexuality – In reference to romantic/sexual interest – Heterosexual vs Homosexual vs Bisexual vs Asexual.

Sylvari have physical sex, but the form itself is rather arbitrary. As per lore, they have the shape of Man and Women, but that serves no reproductive purpose. It can be argued either way, I think. You can say that Sylvari have a designated sex because they mimic the biological sex of men and women. You can also say that Sylvari are a “sex-less” race, in the same manner that you don’t consider individual leaves of a tree to be of distinct sex even if they look different.

In reference to gender, Sylvari certainly do have gender. They express feminine and masculine traits, and there is a fuzzy line between them. Remember that gender is a social construct. The definition of what it means to be masculine and feminine changes with the culture. However, you can take note that they use gendered pronouns, and have distinct gender identity. I don’t think we can really assume that Sylvari gender is associated with a Sylvari’s physical form, though. We don’t have any evidence either way about this, honestly. Especially since lore shows Sylvari have some form of control over their physical form (growing leaves to simulate clothing), a Sylvari’s gender identity may have a direct effect on his or her physical form.

In reference to sexuality, as per lore, the Sylvari seem to have no qualms over gender preferences/orientations when it comes to romance or sex. The preference for a male Sylvari over a female Sylvari seems to be equivalent to liking blonds over brunettes. Pansexuality (basically a step beyond bisexuality, claiming to enjoy relationships with all forms) is probably what is considered “normal”. I’m sure there are Sylvari who are exclusively heterosexual or exclusively homosexual, but I think they are considered atypical within the culture (considering how open-minded and curious they are). Because of this, I would think that Sylvari wouldn’t be too concerned with interspecies relations, either. Since sex serves no purpose than to enjoy each others companionship, I don’t think it’s much of a stretch for a Sylvari to consider romance with another race.

(edited by Katai.6240)