Teq 2.0 Behavior of our Gaming Society

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Hechicero.3297

Hechicero.3297

Greetings.

Those that know me know that I like to watch people. I spent a good number of my 20s watching people for my job. It is second nature to me, one of which does not stop even in a video game such as Guild Wars 2. In watching these people I found it to be interesting on how they deal with the stress of playing GW2 and events such as the new update to Teq.

I also like to watch how people behave during times of stress, by doing so you can tell who a person really is. It’s a proven fact that under stress your real self, the one that most people try to hide comes out to shine. Why am I telling you this? It’s simple.. this new upgrade to Teq 2.0 has shown me what just about every single person I have met on here is really like. It’s very interesting to watch.

I have spent the past few days moving from one server to the next while watching to see how each server takes care of Teq. In doing so, I have had the chance to see the behaviors of just about everyone that I have come in counter with and or just in the area.

No matter what server I went to, it was always the same. People were arguing fussing and fighting not Teq, but each other because they assumed they were better at leading than the other guy next to them. At each and every event, each and every time it looked more like a romper room playground kitten ing contest to see who is more pretty at leading. Then you have these ones that are not directly involved with being “commanders” that instigate those that are. This is a festering stew pot for trolls and I have watched them coming In by the boat loads on many servers to soak in the chaos.

On my server, this has even spewed out into Lions Arch in the form of one guild or group of guilds bashing another guild because of “poor” leadership and or because they think they are god’s gift to the server. To me this is unacceptable behavior .

I am sure that Anet did not intend for this new content and upgrade to turn out as it is, but you know it is what it is. This event has not brought out the best in people, in most cases. it has brought out the worst. These servers that have already completed defeating Teq are no exception to what I have said above. I have been to their servers as well watching others that could not get to the main event , and in doing so I have observed the same behaviors.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this, as every time I step into Sparkfly Fen I make sure to bring the popcorn too.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you observed the same? If you comment please do not call out any guilds, and or people. Let’s keep this civil.

-H

-Edit information The original post did not convey what my actual intentions of the post should have. In reading some of the comments all of which were good allowed me to look back and correct what I failed to see as I wrote what I did. I did not remove what I corrected in the original post, I only struck it out.

Thanks for the interesting conversations and or comments, let’s try to keep the stress to a minimum and go beat Teq 2.0 then sit back and laugh about this whole thing.

– H

Markus Tyrellium
Guild of Kindred (Guild Leader)
Sorrow’s Furnace

(edited by Hechicero.3297)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: deathklock.4961

deathklock.4961

I find it funny watching the zerg kitten commanders duke it out personally.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I am sure you are 100% right about this most of the time. But nearly every kill I’ve been in, there has been 1 commander and the rest follow. Working as a group and listening to 1-3 people. Calling for help when needed.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

My feelings.
In old mmorpg with major open world bosses similar to teq, there was no overflow feature, nor any guesting feature. SOowhen a mass group of people decided they wanted to go kill one of these bosses (like the alb dragon in daoc for example) Pretty much everyone was familiar with each other, you might not know them, but you’ve probably seen their name around, and it was pretty much already established who was going to be leading these players, and you didn’t have to worry about any character map limits.

In Gw2, unless you are on a low pop server, there is a high chance you will be pushed in an overflow with a bunch of people you don’t know, with several people trying to take the lead, and beat content that has so far proved to require high coordination over voice chat to beat.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I welcome this update regardless of how much failing at anything disappoints me. It breaks people out of their comfort zone which is something that needs to be done.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: WolftheAngel.4089

WolftheAngel.4089

I do have to agree with some of the worst in people. I was in an overflow earlier today, and everyone was saying how we should get on to a chat system to have better communication. When I mentioned I had a Mac and most of the voice communication systems out there don’t support Mac there was a huge 15 minute argument on how PC’s are better than Macs among everyone else. -.-’

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kyle van der Meer.6209

Kyle van der Meer.6209

Unless you are going to kill teq, the boss is a pointless waste of time. No reward at 25% health with a failed phase. I’m better off hitting Shadow Behemoth. For now there is overflow, show up 30 minutes early and stuck in half filled overflow. Disappointing boss (yeah, three targets and half my weps get me squashed) that doesn’t scale to player count at all and is really dry. Might as well solo farm, better drop rate. I don’t care so much about the uber elite rewards, I am resigned to never acquiring them – but this isn’t really that fun – just a lot of complaining in chat.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

A little competitive angst isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It shows that people do care about succeeding and are putting a lot of effort in. Eventually the problems will work themselves out as people will get tired of failing and start working together.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t think it’s all that bad on TC. I just beat Tquatl for the first time and it was tough..but I think with the TC mumble and all, we’re pretty well organized.

There didn’t seem to be a lot of egos fighting anyway. Personally I just shut up and did what I was told to. lol

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

I tried Teq on an overflow earlier. While we came nowhere near beating him, people were generally relaxed and helpful.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

What are your thoughts on this? Have you observed the same?

Nope… I’ve been with my old Temple “zerg” that figured stuff like this long ago.
Much more relaxing for the most part. There’s been some drama lately about “Guesters” but I’ll take that any day over this “group DPS Race” they call a boss fight.

I only had to watch it once to figure out that there’s nothing worthwhile to partake in yet. I really hope the “win mechanic” gets tweaked and migrated to a more agreeable middleground for more people so that their civility will be easier for them to hold onto. But I’m not holding my breath when this kind of “Inciting instead of Exciting” content (Pavillion, Ember Farming, Scarlet, etc) seems to be the RULE lately, not the exception…

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

The only issues with this on TC I’ve seen was the last fight where there was a remark in Mumble we shouldn’t need the commanders to lead, call out, or bother organizing, we should just think for ourselves and just know what to do – ie they couldn’t be bothered.

First time I’ve ever been disappointed with my own server in this content – our commanders are usually polite, passionate and organized.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The nature of the internet will always cause this, all popular mmos suffer from this (except lotro which always seemed immune). The devs put out content which requires server coordination and i imagine part of their intention is that this will, long term, help build better communities as eventually players realise it is in their best interest for teamwork. Time will tell if it will work, altho its clear on some servers it has

I have to say, apart from a few cusses and minor rows, it hasnt been as bad as what you have seen on my server. But, I also have little need to go to lions arch so dont see the map chat there

(edited by Randulf.7614)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

The only issues with this on TC I’ve seen was the last fight where there was a remark in Mumble we shouldn’t need the commanders to lead, call out, or bother organizing, we should just think for ourselves and just know what to do – ie they couldn’t be bothered.

First time I’ve ever been disappointed with my own server in this content – our commanders are usually polite, passionate and organized.

Meh, the only thing being a commander guarantees is that you spent 100g. There were always bad ones, just probably not so concentrated into one place vying for attention.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Thanks for the book Mr E-Psychiatrist

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Laundry.5120

Laundry.5120

I also like to watch how people behave during times of stress, by doing so you can tell who a person really is. It’s a proven fact that under stress your real self, the one that most people try to hide comes out to shine.

While I don’t disagree with your post per se, this quote is absolute nonsense, people are in fact NOT “themselves” under stress.

As stress hormones cause increased blood pressure, heart rate, and quicker breathing , people act more impulsively, and quite in fact are NOT “themselves”. Watching people who aren’t under stress who are making decisions rationally based on evidence and their own experience is what you can conclude is who the person “really is”.

Lavanderie – 80 Mesmer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Electrique – 80 Engineer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Meh, the only thing being a commander guarantees is that you spent 100g. There were always bad ones, just probably not so concentrated into one place vying for attention.

I’m just not used to this from TC during Teq – I guess I was spoiled by the commanders and volunteers who cared and actually, you know, commanded and worked together.

Won’t be doing late night Teq again. All the blame got piled on the turret users too. Very, VERY disappointed, TC.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Tequatl Rising

LameFox.6349

I also like to watch how people behave during times of stress, by doing so you can tell who a person really is. It’s a proven fact that under stress your real self, the one that most people try to hide comes out to shine.

While I don’t disagree with your post per se, this quote is absolute nonsense, people are in fact NOT “themselves” under stress.

As stress hormones cause increased blood pressure, heart rate, and quicker breathing , people act more impulsively, and quite in fact are NOT “themselves”. Watching people who aren’t under stress who are making decisions rationally based on evidence and their own experience is what you can conclude is who the person “really is”.

He makes it sound like he worked for the Stasi or something. Maybe taking advantage of the poorly thought out impulses was the point.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

i think its so easy to solve the problem,, just remove the timer..

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: pot.6805

pot.6805

I dunno, its been a great atmosphere on the attempts I have done.

BeeGee
Beast mode

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ateo.8196

Ateo.8196

You can get amazing atmospheres from time to time, like on Yak’s Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOtEGXACys

Ofc we had horrible moments where everyone did what they wanted and we couldn’t damage him at all

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Aisina.4963

Aisina.4963

I think the biggest problem EU faces is that if you’re in an overflow, you’re screwed. Last one I was in had a guy advertising a German only VoIP and the French flat out refused to speak English in map chat so everyone could communicate. Nevermind that a lot of our EU players can’t speak English, they stick to their own guilds in order to have a translator for most situations but are suddenly thrown into an overflow separate from their fellows and as such are completely lost.

You can imagine how volatile a mix of various nationalities can be. EU overflows are scary.

S/F Asuran Elementalist

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kestrelle.8165

Kestrelle.8165

I think players are getting frustrated by lack of communication; for example our server forum organised an event with advance warning, voice comms etc.
However a very large group decided to guest on our realm and even arriving one hour before Teq spawned put our guild into overflow.
In the overflow, players were giving out VOIP information in German, and I also noticed chat in French, and maybe 2 other languages ( I didn’t recognise them however)
Possibly this is a problem limited to EU overflows only.

I didn’t feel the atmosphere was awful, more that players were resigned even before the spawn that the attempt would be unsuccessful because they literally could not understand what was being said.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Sigerk.2897

Sigerk.2897

I’m sorry but I found you post to be extremely condescending, if you’ve been watching people for this long, as you say you have, how could you ever come to this conclusion? Have you ever been under a great deal of stress? Would you define the actions you took and the words you spoke to be an honest representation of your personality? Judging people based on their behaviour during an activity that may be stressful for them and concluding this is who they really are doesn’t seem very fair to me. Also you need to take into account that this is a mass of people, and whenever people congregate in masses they behave differently than they would in situations where there would be less (or no) people. Plenty of real world examples for this.

By this logic, the surivors of the Andes plane crash, who resorted to cannibalism to stay alive, would by your definition, be truly cannibals and where hiding this all along.
:/

Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone

in Tequatl Rising

LameFox.6349

I’m sorry but I found you post to be extremely condescending, if you’ve been watching people for this long, as you say you have, how could you ever come to this conclusion? Have you ever been under a great deal of stress? Would you define the actions you took and the words you spoke to be an honest representation of your personality? Judging people based on their behaviour during an activity that may be stressful for them and concluding this is who they really are doesn’t seem very fair to me. Also you need to take into account that this is a mass of people, and whenever people congregate in masses they behave differently than they would in situations where there would be less (or no) people. Plenty of real world examples for this.

By this logic, the surivors of the Andes plane crash, who resorted to cannibalism to stay alive, would by your definition, be truly cannibals and where hiding this all along.
:/

What people do under stress shows who they really are so long as you define who people really are according to how they act under stress. Reasoning on a Möbius strip.

I’m more curious why he wants to tell us that he spends a lot of time ‘watching’ people and has an interest in things they usually hide, but reveal under stress. Maybe his second favourite pastime is catching spies.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I don’t understand people claiming that the “real self” of someone shows up when stressed or angered. You’ll have a variety of reactions influenced by the personality, yes, but I don’t see the point in judging a person based on unconsistent behaviour under particular circumstances. You should judge them based on a persistent behaviour, that shows up a good number of times in different situations.
Humans tend to generalise a lot basing their assumptions on the “worst”, so definitely not a good idea to take it as undeniably true. Maybe it’s because you can technically be a fake, and under stress it’s harder to lie and hide a part of your own self?
Well, honestly. Most people aren’t all that great at lying, you find out what they really think about themselves/you after a while. Sometimes the evidence is under your eyes but you pretend it’s not there, so you can lie to yourself.

Yeah, I saw players kittening on map chat, but it didn’t feel revealing, suprising or shocking. It was just a bunch of people getting stressed because things weren’t working out and as always, there’s someone who is more vocal and claims to know best. See, someone wants to take control of the situation, while others suffer in silence; others let out annoyance by cursing at the screen (me). <— “Aww screen you’re doing it wrong!” It’s hard to collaborate at times, you know. Everyone has a unique personality and individuality. People’s beliefs clash with each other. People argue. That doesn’t mean the ones arguing were kittenbags, just more vocal. Although probably some were

P.S. Lol at the OP’s veiled reference to a mysterious, presumably qualified job that covers you in an aura of knowledge on the webz, like Gandalf’s beard. Yes, I’m playfully poking you. Don’t get all worked up. It’s awful when people judge you based on a misplaced sentence.
/grin
For Cthulhu!

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

You should read ‘Beyond Good and Evil’, and then review your original post in this thread.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I doubt that a boss fight can cause so much stress that it is actually causing changes in personality and/or behavior or reveal something they are trying to hide.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I welcome this update regardless of how much failing at anything disappoints me. It breaks people out of their comfort zone which is something that needs to be done.

Burning people’s houses also breaks them out of their comfort zone, and yet i don’t think it is a good idea.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

The new Teq fight is so fun, I decided to not even bother trying it last night because it wasn’t necessary for the daily.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: denamed.5860

denamed.5860

@OP: May I ask which studies and theories you’re basing your arguments on? I’m no authority on the matter (currently stilly just working on finishing my PhD in Sociology), so you might have access to material, that I do not have and that contradicts the popular theories on human behavior and crowd dynamics.

Widescale Behavior changes are a very slow thing that need generations to manifest. Even individual behavior changes take years. With that in mind, the event has not brought out the best or worst in people, nor has it influenced their behavior on any level. What you’re witnessing and by the looks of it, mistaking for something else, is a mixture of frustration and individual self-assertion. Parts of the human self that have been there way before the event even started.
The event is constructed in a way that an individual can do everything right and still fail the event. If something fails, a human reflects upon themselves: Where did I go wrong, how could it have gone differently. If they can find no fault with themselves, because of a variety of reasons, they look for it somewhere else. Within the crowd or swarm, you will see the first signs as a blind shot into the blue. A quick vent of frustration aimed at no one in particular but rather a hypothetical person that must be at fault. If no one reacts to that, the frustration ends suppressed. People rarely alpha-strike others directly within a huge crowd and it’s impossible to make out who really is at fault – because it’s a communal fault.
If you really observed people, I’m sure you’ve noticed how the flamewars don’t really start before someone starts arguing back. There are usually several frustration vents happening before it starts to go wrong. Chances are, they’ll have a different idea about how to work this out and since their vision differs from that of the other people venting frustration, their views clash. Tensions rise and they start flaming. This will happily spiral out of control, as more and more people find their counterpart. At some point that might even just be “stop chatting and focus on the fight”. There’s no quick solution, as backing down from the discussion usually means you lose face – why would you back down if you’re right? – and your identity is under widespread attack by all the others looking for the fault, after all they’re now actively blaming you in front of all these people. Now Identity on the other hand, is one of the most fiercely defended parts of the self.

The anger and vileness you witness, and which I have witnessed too on several occasions, isn’t the worst in people. It’s actually a result of how humans deal with their daily lives. That is, constantly second guessing their every action and reigning in their instincts and compulsions.

(edited by denamed.5860)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Frenk the Vile.2596

Frenk the Vile.2596

The 1°problem is time limit, the second the insufficient UI/communication systems.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ishtar.6457

Ishtar.6457

I was in this kind of overflow most of the time, but usually it’s not that bad, i understand people’s frustrations with this content. but today i got into one of those crazy overflow with crazy commander who think he’s the best and everyone else is kitten. at first i thought it was just me who feels uncomfortable with this guy, i just keep my mouth shut and do my job as always when teq spawn, but he keep insulting people up until everyone got really angry with him and just quit killing teq and letting him ‘solo’ it. it’s funny and sad at the same time, this is not GW2 i remember in bwe1. this is a totally different community now.

in Tequatl Rising

Hechicero.3297

Thanks for the book Mr E-Psychiatrist

You are very welcome.

Markus Tyrellium
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

What do you expect with a diverse age range and maturity range in a competative nature? You think everyone is an eckert fan (let alone read and live without attachments or ego). This is a video game, and ego is superior. You will have ‘x’ guild bashing ‘y’ guild. It’s not all rainbows and unicorns in the scary world of reality. People are dark, and hide behind there keyboards or mics knocking others all the time.

Hell I was most disappointed at one of my server mates for publicly knocking devs with no real basis. Nor any real fact, just for the hell of it. At least the rest of the server reigned him in.

It’s not all the bees knees. Only 90% of the time on TC

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

You should be in the BG Teamspeak. Because there exists a group that is not in your little observation. There have been many leaders for the servers success, working together.

Even people not leading were helping lead other areas like turret defense. Or calling out when needing help at a battery.

And every time people fall in line, follow whose leading and do what they are supposed to do.

On the flip side I have been to servers where you give suggestions (not orders) and people just blow up and degrade each other…. its very interesting to see.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Put any randomly picked group of people together and you will see it happen. There will always be the common types of people.

There will be the boss, the whiner, the attention seeker, the teenager, the old wise man, the troll, the joker, the accomplisher, the stoned one, the primadonna etc… and a lot of the quiet ones who just do their job and move on.

Larger the group, more likely it is that there will be two or more of each kind and it will cause conflicts.
Bosses trying to boss each other, attention seekers battling of attention, jokers trying to be funnier than the other, accomplishers trying to prove that they are better than the other accomplishers, stoned ones going O.O, trolls trolling each other.. and the quiet ones doing the job and moving on

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: fierotecknics.5961

fierotecknics.5961

Perspective is subjective. You can analyze all you want but if you only post analysis on one part of the community your analysis isn’t very thorough. I’ve thought seriously about making a post to lambast the negativity in the community as well. I have not done so because confrontation is never a great solution but more a last resort. Leadership is best when it is by example. If you truly wish to make a difference, be the example.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

I think the biggest problem EU faces is that if you’re in an overflow, you’re screwed. Last one I was in had a guy advertising a German only VoIP and the French flat out refused to speak English in map chat so everyone could communicate. Nevermind that a lot of our EU players can’t speak English, they stick to their own guilds in order to have a translator for most situations but are suddenly thrown into an overflow separate from their fellows and as such are completely lost.

You can imagine how volatile a mix of various nationalities can be. EU overflows are scary.

Wow… It is interesting to see how much more of a challenge this would be than what us NA players have. And big LOLZ to the French not wanting to use English in chat… you know they know how to speak it!

in Tequatl Rising

Hechicero.3297

I’m sorry but I found you post to be extremely condescending, if you’ve been watching people for this long, as you say you have, how could you ever come to this conclusion? Have you ever been under a great deal of stress? Would you define the actions you took and the words you spoke to be an honest representation of your personality? :/

Greetings Sigerk, Do not be sorry for finding my post condescending, it was not meant to so. I do not consider myself any better or less than anyone I never have and never will. To answer your other questions, yes, I have been in situations that were extremely stressful, and the actions that I took and the words that were spoken were all second nature because in my former profession you must rely on your training, knowledge and experience, or you go home in a bag. The actions that I took during those events were not my original and honest representation of my personality at one time, but after years of dealing with said situation you adapt.

Judging people based on their behavior during an activity that may be stressful for them and concluding this is who they really are doesn’t seem very fair to me. Also you need to take into account that this is a mass of people, and whenever people congregate in masses they behave differently than they would in situations where there would be less (or no) people. Plenty of real world examples for this.

Again, do not get my post wrong as it was by no means a judgment posting. My posting was just my thoughts and what I gathered from observing the populace in many areas. I did however make a statement in reference to the Guild(s) bashing other guilds and yes I judged them and will do so all day long based on their actions both present and past.

I understand very well about when a mass of people get together also known as the mob mentality. It only takes one person in a large group of people to get the entire mob going, perhaps it is this that I saw because there was nothing organized about anything on that field from what I could observe.

By this logic, the survivors of the Andes plane crash, who resorted to cannibalism to stay alive, would by your definition, be truly cannibals and where hiding this all along.

No, by my definition they would be survivors. They overcame and they adapted to the situation that they were in. Those people on that mountain during that event did not have a choice but to do what they did in order to survive. However in this game and during the event of Teq, no one is being forced to be there. They are not under real threat, the stress is very real to them but the threat is not. Then again I could be wrong if someone actually thinks they are under threat during that event, however these two situations cannot be compared but I get your meaning nonetheless.

Perhaps what I am seeing in these people during these events are not their real personality traits, and perhaps it’s not really how they are in RL. It is not my place to make said judgments and as I said my posting was not meant to sound judgmental.

Thank you for taking the time to respond with a civil tone, and for bringing up some interesting points.

Markus Tyrellium
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Tequatl Rising

Hechicero.3297

. Leadership is best when it is by example. If you truly wish to make a difference, be the example.

Indeed.

Markus Tyrellium
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: maelstorm.6074

maelstorm.6074

This update is complete crap

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“Unless you are going to kill teq, the boss is a pointless waste of time. No reward at 25% health with a failed phase.”

So you should get rewarded for getting an enemy to 25% health? You should never be rewarded for failing anything. Sorry If you disagree but why should anyone be rewarded for failure? I realize this is probably not a popular stance.

in Tequatl Rising

Hechicero.3297

@OP: May I ask which studies and theories you’re basing your arguments on? I’m no authority on the matter (currently still just working on finishing my PhD in Sociology), so you might have access to material, that I do not have and that contradicts the popular theories on human behavior and crowd dynamics.

Greetings denamed.5860, thank you for responding. After reading your response and going back to read what I wrote again, I can see some minor errors that I made. I do not have access to any materials of this nature not in this day anyway. The information that I may or may not have used was based on my past studies a long while ago so I think I am getting the information crossed, which would not be the first time.

Widescale Behavior changes are a very slow thing that need generations to manifest. Even individual behavior changes take years. With that in mind, the event has not brought out the best or worst in people, nor has it influenced their behavior on any level. What you’re witnessing and by the looks of it, mistaking for something else, is a mixture of frustration and individual self-assertion. Parts of the human self that have been there way before the event even started.

I agree with you and I made a similar statement to another person responding when they asked if going by my logic that the survivors of the Andes plane incident in 1972 had cannibalistic tendencies before they crashed . I explained that the survivors did not have cannibalistic tendencies beforehand and that what they did was done to make sure they survived. Their natural instinct for self preservation kicked in and they did what they had to do. I also explained that what happened in 1972 and what happens at any event in GW2 cannot be compared, they are not the same.

I believe you are correct what you said about mistaking what I was seeing as something else. I believe what I saw would fit somewhere along the lines of Freudian Theory when it comes to crowds. The members of the crowd wanting their sense of individualism and self-assertion back that has been taken by a “ commander or leader” over the group. It has been so long ago since I was in school and studying this subject matter.

The event is constructed in a way that an individual can do everything right and still fail the event. If something fails, a human reflects upon themselves: Where did I go wrong, how could it have gone differently. If they can find no fault with themselves, because of a variety of reasons, they look for it somewhere else. Within the crowd or swarm, you will see the first signs as a blind shot into the blue. A quick vent of frustration aimed at no one in particular but rather a hypothetical person that must be at fault. If no one reacts to that, the frustration ends suppressed. People rarely alpha-strike others directly within a huge crowd and it’s impossible to make out who really is at fault – because it’s a communal fault.

If you really observed people, I’m sure you’ve noticed how the flamewars don’t really start before someone starts arguing back. There are usually several frustration vents happening before it starts to go wrong. Chances are, they’ll have a different idea about how to work this out and since their vision differs from that of the other people venting frustration, their views clash. Tensions rise and they start flaming. This will happily spiral out of control, as more and more people find their counterpart. At some point that might even just be “stop chatting and focus on the fight”. There’s no quick solution, as backing down from the discussion usually means you lose face – why would you back down if you’re right? – and your identity is under widespread attack by all the others looking for the fault, after all they’re now actively blaming you in front of all these people. Now Identity on the other hand, is one of the most fiercely defended parts of the self.

The anger and vileness you witness, and which I have witnessed too on several occasions, isn’t the worst in people. It’s actually a result of how humans deal with their daily lives. That is, constantly second guessing their every action and reigning in their instincts and compulsions.

Again , I have to agree with you there as your points are very much on target. Good luck in your studies and thank you for responding to my post.

Markus Tyrellium
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Tequatl Rising

Hechicero.3297

I don’t understand people claiming that the “real self” of someone shows up when stressed or angered. You’ll have a variety of reactions influenced by the personality, yes, but I don’t see the point in judging a person based on inconsistent behaviour under particular circumstances. You should judge them based on a persistent behaviour, that shows up a good number of times in different situations.

I could not agree with you more there. I am still looking at what I wrote in the original posting as I may have said something that was not entirely correct at the time. The meaning is there, just the wrong words used. I do agree with you that if a person is to be judged for their behavior is should be done using the most consistent behavior over a vast amount of situations.

. It was just a bunch of people getting stressed because things weren’t working out and as always, there’s someone who is more vocal and claims to know best. See, someone wants to take control of the situation, while others suffer in silence; others let out annoyance by cursing at the screen (me). <— “Aww screen you’re doing it wrong!” It’s hard to collaborate at times, you know. Everyone has a unique personality and individuality. People’s beliefs clash with each other. People argue. That doesn’t mean the ones arguing were kittenbags, just more vocal. Although probably some were

I agree with you there as well. Everyone of us sitting here reading this who has played a game at one point or another lost their minds due to ( insert the issue in the game that made you go insane). I still remember losing my mind when I was kid playing the Atari 2600 and something went wrong. I look back on it now and laugh. I am sure in a few years I will look back on this situation and do the same. I just have one question.. what is are” kittenbags”?

P.S. Lol at the OP’s veiled reference to a mysterious, presumably qualified job that covers you in an aura of knowledge on the webz, like Gandalf’s beard. Yes, I’m playfully poking you. Don’t get all worked up. It’s awful when people judge you based on a misplaced sentence.

This part made me smile a bit, I needed that. Thanks. I would also like to thank you for your input on this.

Markus Tyrellium
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

“Unless you are going to kill teq, the boss is a pointless waste of time. No reward at 25% health with a failed phase.”

So you should get rewarded for getting an enemy to 25% health? You should never be rewarded for failing anything. Sorry If you disagree but why should anyone be rewarded for failure? I realize this is probably not a popular stance.

Mostly because people need to feel that something was worth their time, or eventually they’ll stop bothering. And of course, whether someone feels like attempting Teq over and over is worth their time is subjective, but if you add a reward for failure, proportionate to the amount of effort and time invested overall, chances are more people will feel like it was worth their time.

For instance, I’ll attempt Teq once a day for the daily, because that feels like it’s worth my time. Otherwise, I won’t bother, because my server hasn’t even gotten close to beating it, so I won’t spend a long time waiting and a full 15 minutes fighting for nothing. There are other things I could do in that time that would be more rewarding, like champ farming in Queensdale, or grabbing a couple of JP chests.

Which isn’t to say every content should reward for failure, but if it’s content that requires a large number of players to show up to even be doable, is on a long spawn timer and has a time limit, it’s reasonable to try and entice them with rewards, even if they fail.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

I find it funny that you had to travel across several servers to come to the conclusion that when people are frustrated they tend to clash with others. There is nothing insightful about this post.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I’m just not used to this from TC during Teq – I guess I was spoiled by the commanders and volunteers who cared and actually, you know, commanded and worked together.

Won’t be doing late night Teq again. All the blame got piled on the turret users too. Very, VERY disappointed, TC.

I know what you mean, but remember that there are rotten apples everywhere, and that some commanders were commanding during the whole day and they were probably pretty tired already. I was not there when that happened, so I don’t know which commander was the one that was that rude, but it is a very unusual behavior. Don’t blame the whole server, please. I have been on many fights with TC already, got my title and never had this kind of problem.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Oolune.4357

Oolune.4357

It is a game. You get the worst with the best in every scenario. If you think this content has changed anything in terms of making drama, you obviously are not on a server with a noticeable WvW community, because in WvW circles it’s nothing new.

What I have noticed, personally, is that it has brought multiple communities together.

Tarnished Coast
Oolune :: Engineer — Arrow Of Oolune :: Human Ranger -- Shadow Of Oolune :: Human Thief
Box The Turtle :: Human Warrior — Bolobuns Of Steel :: Human Guardian

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

The nature of the internet will always cause this, all popular mmos suffer from this (except lotro which always seemed immune). The devs put out content which requires server coordination…

NO

You’re NOT ALLOWED to use such general and positive terms for this fight

This fight’s win condition is 100% an absolute DPS check, and nothing more…
There’s lots of servers who coordinate daily to achieve what others call the impossible.
Then there’s other servers who do not coordinate one bit beyond bringing maxed out pure power vit builds to this who succeed with time to spare. ….This is not a server coordination issue. This is artificial difficulty. This is a Spreadsheet in action….