Tequatl: Tactics (New Video of Success in OP)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Congratulations to Blackgate on becoming WORLD FIRST to beat Tequatl!!**(THANK YOU flickky.2634 for the video)

Successful Video: http://www.twitch.tv/flickky/c/2951634
Successful Video…FROM OVERFLOW (thanks ReijKa.2350): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2u9VFFjNAA

Please post tactics (not sarcasm) for Tequatl below:

General Tactic Guides

Yak’s Bend Guide (thanks to Ateo.8196) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOtEGXACys

Armor Suggestions from Marquie Thomas.1873
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/tequatl/Tequatl-Tactics/page/2#post2860456

For Everyone

- If you die, use a WP and get back. Staying dead scales up the event even though you are not participating.

- From ANET (Crystal Reid.2481)

Stacks of Hardened Scales do not reduce incoming damage. It is just a complete invulnerability at 20 stacks until the Bone Walls are killed.

(thanks Broadicea.8294 for letting us know)

DPS

- DPS Guide (thank you The Gates Assassin.9827):
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/tequatl/Damaging-Tequatl-Guide/first#post2856184

- Use Powerful Potion of Undead Slaying for 10% more damage against him and 10% less damage taken.

Melee Tips

• If pure melee, try to remove poison fingers. They cause high damage to those on turrets

Turret Tips

Turrets (thanks to Broadicea.8294)

-1 Stake Thrower – Fires a stake, 1s recharge.

-2 Scale Penetration – Reduces his armor, 12s recharge (important for ensuring walls stay down and don’t interfere with DPS)

-3 Poison Cleanse (aoe) – 5s recharge

-4 Hylek Elixir (aoe) – pulses 1 stack might, fury, and quickness once per second for 8 seconds. 15s recharge (EXTREMELY useful for increasing DPS)

-5 Hylek Salve – Protection, Regen, Vigor, 5.5s ,15s recharge

Links:

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

(edited by Vorch.2985)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

- Join the event
- Tag some mobs
- Fail the event because its impossible to succeed
- Gold badge and daily done.

You wanted tactics. This isnt sarcasm. I’m serious.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Seth.1079

Seth.1079

- Get people on the cannons that actually know what they’re doing
- Keep his scale stacks off
- Win

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Poizen.7296

Poizen.7296

People on the cannons use the number 2 skill to remove his scales. They can also remove the poison clouds around them with a skill. The others try between defending the turrets and doing damage to tequatl.

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

So a lot of failure/success relies on the cannons and making sure that they stay alive?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Wegi.4029

Wegi.4029

Whats wrong with that? The people in the overflow i was in just shot at trandom mobs all the time. So we only got like 10 % of his health.

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

Whats wrong with that? The people in the overflow i was in just shot at trandom mobs all the time. So we only got like 10 % of his health.

Nothing is wrong with that. Just need to make sure we have competent people on the cannons then, that’s all.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

- From what I’ve noticed, his buffs appear after he gets hit by players on foot. Meaning players have to AVOID just hitting him directly in large numbers, it won’t help the event.

- You need small groups guarding the ones on the turrets, otherwise they can get easily overwhelmed by mobs.

- Best suggestion I can think of is 4 turrets dealing with Teq using #2 to take off his stacks and #1 to hit him, and the other 2 using #3 to cancel out poison and #5 to heal allies.

This is all just for the first phase, btw.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Tequatl cannot be Critically Hit, so if you’re devoted to attacking him use Power gear primarily. Soldier’s or Carrion is perfectly fine and pretty safe for learning.

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

- From what I’ve noticed, his buffs appear after he gets hit by players on foot. Meaning players have to AVOID just hitting him directly in large numbers, it won’t help the event.

- You need small groups guarding the ones on the turrets, otherwise they can get easily overwhelmed by mobs.

- Best suggestion I can think of is 4 turrets dealing with Teq using #2 to take off his stacks and #1 to hit him, and the other 2 using #3 to cancel out poison and #5 to heal allies.

Would telling south cannons to spam #1 and #2 and north cannons to spam #3 and #5 on zerg work?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

- Get people on the cannons that actually know what they’re doing
- Keep his scale stacks off
- Win

-find a way to make trolls leave turrets
-win

Glorious Human Master Race

in Tequatl Rising

RyuDragnier.9476

Would telling south cannons to spam #1 and #2 and north cannons to spam #3 and #5 on zerg work?

As long as you can keep the zerg from…zerging anything but his helper mobs and the bone walls, it might work.

[hS]

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Avatara.1042

KILL THE FINGERS.

They drop the poison clouds, which kill the turret users.

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

What i’m seeing is that it really does come down to turret competence. Just need a way of making sure competent people are on turrets and stay alive.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Danigar.3795

Danigar.3795

Keep in mind the number 2 skill on turrets has a 12s CD. the Cleanse is 5 seconds.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: nawrasz.6219

nawrasz.6219

What I noticed from the overflow i was on was the only times we actually damaged him was right after the bone wall went down. We got roughly 20% of his HP down in 2-3 times.

Now I may get shot for this BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT. Why not just let him stack 20 scales, kill his bone wall and DPS the everliving crap out of him and repeat? I mean we only did it like 2-3 times and got 20% and it wasn’t even on purpose we just failed to actually keep the scales off of him.

Anyway, this is probably an easy way out and if it does work would/should be fixed because then it’s a matter of waiting for bone shield to be up > destroy > DPS > repeat :P

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

What I noticed from the overflow i was on was the only times we actually damaged him was right after the bone wall went down. We got roughly 20% of his HP down in 2-3 times.

Now I may get shot for this BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT. Why not just let him stack 20 scales, kill his bone wall and DPS the everliving crap out of him and repeat? I mean we only did it like 2-3 times and got 20% and it wasn’t even on purpose we just failed to actually keep the scales off of him.

Anyway, this is probably an easy way out and if it does work would/should be fixed because then it’s a matter of waiting for bone shield to be up > destroy > DPS > repeat :P

With infinite time, that would work. With 15 minutes, you’ll want to keep his defense low so that you can manage your DPS as much as possible.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

We beat him, it takes coordination and good commanders. How we did it was, we broke up into 5 man organized teams for each turret and the rest follow 2 commanders on 2 different pathways, one left, one right and split the turrets to defend either left or right zerg. This is very doable and I’m hearing the whiners already. They clearly need to learn strategy, which is fantastic. Love this new revamp!!!!

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

We beat him, it takes coordination and good commanders. How we did it was, we broke up into 5 man organized teams for each turret and the rest follow 2 commanders on 2 different pathways, one left, one right and split the turrets to defend either left or right zerg. This is very doable and I’m hearing the whiners already. They clearly need to learn strategy, which is fantastic. Love this new revamp!!!!

Grats. What server?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Sounds like you managed to get 6 competent players into the turrets. I think most people here are complaining about the very slim probability of that happening.

All it takes is 1-2 AFK players in the turrets and you’ll never win the fight.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

Use the turrets to remove the stacks of armor off of Tequatl, otherwise it’s pretty much impossible to defeat him. I’m pretty sure that’s the problem here. If you guys can only get him down by 5% of his hp it’s likely people are not using the turrets right.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: roguenub.1409

roguenub.1409

It says defend the batteries (east ,west, north ) but I saw nothing happening with the batteries. Does this only happen later in the fight?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

So your huge guild camped in Sparkfly Fen and then beat him, cool, too bad that is impossible for people not in a large guild / lucky enough to be in non-overflow. Proof of my point in another thread this type of non-instanced world boss can not exist…unless it is in a controlled, organized environment.

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

Anyone have the turret tool-tips anywhere?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

They also need to clear the poison field, but players not on the turrets need to destroy the fingers that are shooting them out left and right.

From what I saw during the event, people on the turrets were getting overwhelmed by everything they needed to do. Not to mention the fact that they weren’t being defended adequately.
This new version of Tequatl is a balancing act. Players need to attack as well as defend. Doing just one thing is going to fail the event big time.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

(edited by TriggerSad.2597)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

#1 Stake Thrower - Fires a stake, 1s recharge.

#2 Scale Penetration - Reduces his armor, 12s recharge

#3 Poison Cleanse (aoe) - 5s recharge

#4 Hylek Elixir (aoe) - pulses 1 stack might, fury, and quickness once per second for 8 seconds. 15s recharge

#5 Hylek Salve (aoe) - Protection, Regen, Vigor, 5.5s ,15s recharge

So keep #4 up on stacks of melee folks, keep #2 on Teq as much as possible, and attack him with #1 which does decent damage. It is paramount that you get good people on the turrets as soon as the event is starting.

Retired. Too many casuals.

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

1. Stake Thrower – Fires a stake, 1s recharge.
  1. Scale Penetration – Reduces his armor, 12s recharge
  1. Poison Cleanse (aoe) – 5s recharge
  1. Hylek Elixir (aoe) – pulses 1 stack might, fury, and quickness once per second for 8 seconds. 15s recharge
  1. Hylek Salve – Protection, Regen, Vigor, 5.5s ,15s recharge

So keep #4 up on stacks of melee folks, keep #2 on Teq as much as possible, and attack him with #1 which does decent damage.

THANK YOU. was wondering where to find those.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

Did your guild livestream/record/anything? As the majority of the servers claim 80-90% health at the end I want to see proof this happened.

If you did it as some superguild event I am sure someone recorded it…

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

You need multiple teams using, you guessed it, teamwork. Each turret should be it’s own team. One guy on the turret and the other four killing the mobs trying to take out the turret. There should then be two or three, maybe four or five teams who spend there time taking out fingers and any extra mobs. That leaves everyone else to actually kill Tequila Sunrise. The problem is coordination and actually communicating, something that has pretty much never happened before in a PvE event.

And that would be the clarification that the obvious tactics I came up with just from watching the live stream video are the right ones.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: SirNikkolas.6273

SirNikkolas.6273

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/454437568

52:05 – Stacks cause invulnerable and summon the bone wall. The dev does not say anything about it reducing damage.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

52:05 – Stacks cause invulnerable and summon the bone wall. The dev does not say anything about it reducing damage.

Um, it’s armor… what did you think it did? It just has the added effect of making him invulnerable if you leave it unchecked.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Deleted message because it was merged and is now irrelevant.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

(edited by Treeline.3865)

in Tequatl Rising

Nokaru.7831

Use Powerful Potion of Undead Slaying for 10% more damage against him and 10% less damage taken.

Also: Superior Sigil of Undead Slaying!

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Use Powerful Potion of Undead Slaying for 10% more damage against him and 10% less damage taken.

I can see this working on the adds, but does it actually work on Tequatl itself?

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

in Tequatl Rising

Broadicea.8294

Um, it’s armor… what did you think it did? It just has the added effect of making him invulnerable if you leave it unchecked.

Using the turret #1 skill I was hitting for roughly the same amount at 3 stacks as I was at 15 (only 2 of us using #2 it seemed).

in Tequatl Rising

Nokaru.7831

I can see this working on the adds, but does it actually work on Tequatl itself?

If not then use Superior Sharpening Stone

in Tequatl Rising

RyuDragnier.9476

Using the turret #1 skill I was hitting for roughly the same amount at 3 stacks as I was at 15 (only 2 of us using #2 it seemed).

He gets a stack every 3-5 seconds. You can’t get rid of the stacks fast enough. Eventually he WILL become immune.

[hS]

in Tequatl Rising

Broadicea.8294

He gets a stack every 3-5 seconds. You can’t get rid of the stacks fast enough. Eventually he WILL become immune.

Nah. 6 turrets available to remove 6 stacks every 12 seconds? Do the math.

And after the first bone wall we started yelling at people, more starting using it and he coasted between 10-15 for the rest of the fight.

in Tequatl Rising

Broadicea.8294

Vorch: a redpost for the OP

Stacks of Hardened Scales do not reduce incoming damage. It is just a complete invulnerability at 20 stacks until the Bone Walls are killed.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/tequatl/Tequatl-s-scale-damage-reduction/first#post2856433

in Tequatl Rising

Vorch.2985

Thanks

That’s good…and horrible. what kind of DPS do we need to put out?!

in Tequatl Rising

Broadicea.8294

Thanks

That’s good…and horrible. what kind of DPS do we need to put out?!

Well open world PvE players usually bring terrible gear, but since he’s an object all you need is power primary to max out your damage contribution. If you’re defending the turrets I’d bring much more, assassins/valk/zerk preferably.

I can’t overstate how helpful turret #4 skill is. Quickness for 8 seconds every 15 seconds, people. Use it!

(edited by Broadicea.8294)

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: SirNikkolas.6273

SirNikkolas.6273

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/tequatl/Tequatl-s-scale-damage-reduction/first#post2856433

No.. its not

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: sayouri san.2140

sayouri san.2140

So, everyone post GOOD and helpfull things you disvoered in your fight with tequilla sunrise!
together we’ll bring down the dragon!

Btw;… I have a burning suspicion the laser will solve our problems…but how!?

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: sayouri san.2140

sayouri san.2140

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There’s a sticky for tactics at the top of this forum to avoid duplication threads

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You did good then. We had good cannoners and managed to keep the scales down consistently, with all turrets running all the time, and still managed to get only 5% (again)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

If you guys are worried about DPS, considering how we can’t crit Tequatl, having max POWER is probably the best for whatever teams are dpsing him directly. So, believe it or not, PVT is probably best for the zergs going in to fight him head on, whatever teams that are on turrets could be running anything..so it seems.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

Problem. Players do not have access to the Dev’s Damaging Skill set. We do not know how many times they use those skill set during the fight, but it sure as hell a lot of times.

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: DaKenster.5801

DaKenster.5801

Sparklers

15 chars

JQ- [VG]

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Shinobi.3240

Shinobi.3240

Do they all stack?
Couldn´t find it on the wiki.
They would boost the dmg a lot and make the event much easier.

Bowl of Seaweed Salad

60% chance to gain Swiftness.png Swiftness (10s) when you kill a foe
+10% damage while moving
+10 Experience from kills

Powerful Potion of Undead Slaying

+10% damage vs undead
-10% damage from undead
+10 Experience from kills

Superior Sigil of Undead Slaying

+10% Damage vs. Undead

Superior Sigil of Force

+5% Damage Damage

Strength Booster

Double-click to consume to gain a buff that increases your damage by 5% for one hour.

Best regards! Shino

Shinobi Sicarius [ Thief / Lvl: 80 / PvP Rank: 250+]
[5/8 Champion Titles – Legendary Division] [19k+ AP]
[BEER – Dungeon Riders – Desolation]