About new armor skins and some feedback

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: cassy.6920

cassy.6920

So with the inevitable rise of gem prices, and the inevitable continuing of it, naturally there had to be more armour skins that are exclusive to the gem store!

In a game such that it is vanity-centric and almost everyone is using entirely the same armour(which looks universally good but totally mainstream), instead of adding more armour skins which could be attained by means of PvE (or generally anything else, hell look at the amount of activities this game has to offer, but then again NONE of them give decent incentive), they had to add them in the gem store! Hurray for gold farming!

Really is it just me or Anet isnt trying to think harder about how to fix the game and make it more enjoyable with its inevitable dedicated playerbase leaving the game due to its lack of incentive with almost every aspect of the game. Yes, i love this game to death, there are so many activities which are incredibly fun and unique to the repetitive MMORPG tropes out there, but there seems hardly any incentive with these activities which largely saps out all the fun out of the game considering most MMORPGs are basically loot driven grinding(my opinion).

My suggestion is that rather than adding these new armour and weapon skins to RNG boxes or the only way to get them is buy getting gems, put them maybe as an incentive to various activities within the game. Putting these skins in the gem store largely influences more grinding in which everyone hates, and which Anet believes to building gw2 to a non grinding experience which i believe they could. But rather the game in its current state is convincing people to go farm gold via farming champs or any other meta whatnot. Sure you need gems so the game has more support, but largely this would only work short term and not long term, and dont forget that most players are trying to avoid cashing in on the game by buying gems with real money.

So please Anet. Stop putting all these armour skins and weapon skins exclusive to the gem store or black lion chests. This makes the ‘living world’ concept of the game (or rather its bi-weekly update) rather hallow and very temporary compared to updates in other MMORPGs. I really love gw2 for trying really hard to be different with other MMORPGs and it does great as a start, but these updates are really really getting to some of our nerves.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

YESSSSS my feelings exactly i cannot tell you how morale broken i was for this patch as soon as i found out that all those nice skins were in BLC rewards im really tired of this.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

http://dulfy.net/2013/10/29/gw2-trickster-viper-and-phalanx-armor-skins/
^ Link for those who haven’t seen the armor yet.

The male armor is really good looking and gives a good option for a good armored knight look.

However, the female armor looks almost completely different than the male version…

I guess I should be used to female armor being turned into a stripped out, clevage-showing version (sadly), but even then, helmet is completely open-faced, whereas the male version has absolutely nothing in common with it.

(edited by Dahkeus.8243)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Is it that hard to make females look like armored knights? Oh my god Anet why would you do that?

When it comes to armor they either mess up the male version or the female version.

/sigh

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Helicity.3416

Helicity.3416

I was really excited about this heavy armor. And then I saw the female version which is just hilarious terrible in comparison.

Nemain/Kali Darru [FUN]

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: shadowshift.5320

shadowshift.5320

This is really disappointing. I was really excited about the Phalanx armor, until I saw that the female version is nothing like the male version.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Finally more revealing heavy armor. Love it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

OMG agreed! whole heartedly. I mean really, look at halloween. Only way to obtain mats for creating EXISTING skins is via trading post which is a round about way of pushing people towards gems. Fine whatever, we got new skins for this year anyway! wait, claim tickets only? oh, so again buy gems! Now we have the “Toxic Alliance” (don’t even get me started on how corny these lame alliances are. or about how un-freaking acceptable it is that the Krait are making an alliance with anyone…) But hey new armor, Sweet! Wait, gems? again? really? Oh, and the new weapon skins? Gems Gems Gems! kittening REALLY!?!? I spend more money on gems than I would a subscription fee. Heck, I would rather pay a sub fee and actually have cool rewards that i can obtain by, i dunno, PLAYING THE GAME! Wat freaking reason does a player have to continue logging in when the game is basically devolving into, swipe credit card, collect trinkets, wait 2 weeks, swipe credit card again.
I am really starting to fall out of love with this game. More and more every single patch, my eyes start wandering to possible alternatives.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Really Anet? We’re going down this road now? I mean kitten i thought with all the Bad kitten heavy armor skins in GW1 (for female) that at least -some- of the really awesome armors in GW2 would be the same for females…

Nope, looks like they get chain Bikinis instead of real armor… cause that makes sense….

That being said that trickster armor is sexy as hell, i must have it!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well definitely gonna get the heavy one (only looks good on male though ><). Not sure why the female heavy one is sooo different from the male version though. Other two are pretty ugly, at least to me. Medium is probably the ugliest. Light isn’t too bad, still kinda ugly though.
Just more disappointment….

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

The light version looks more like heavy armour…

Got to agree the male versions are great.

The female especially light are ‘not so good’ but I am sure someone somewhere will like it…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Odd— The female version of Phalanx looks a heck of a lot more like the female Viper armor than it does the male Phalanx. Same angle to the end of the dress, same extra weight on the right-hand side, same style of shoulders…I really just don’t get this design.

If you took Viper armor and spliced it with Vigil armor, the female Phalanx armor is exactly what you’d get. Can’t say I like the change from the male version.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

Really Anet? We’re going down this road now? I mean kitten i thought with all the Bad kitten heavy armor skins in GW1 (for female) that at least -some- of the really awesome armors in GW2 would be the same for females…

Nope, looks like they get chain Bikinis instead of real armor… cause that makes sense….

I can’t help but agree. Chain-mail bikinis are sexy the first time around, but I’m thinking they’re way overdone now. Give us something unique to look at, both as male and female!

in Tower of Nightmares

skullmount.1758

YESSSSS my feelings exactly i cannot tell you how morale broken i was for this patch as soon as i found out that all those nice skins were in BLC rewards im really tired of this.

Seconded. With each patch comes more and more disappointment/anger and less and less enjoyment/fun.

Darkhaven server

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Crass.5739

Crass.5739

I’d have to agree with this. All this is doing is alienating the majority of the playerbase. Don’t get me wrong, I think there are plenty of ways for Anet to make a quick buck here and there, but when EVERYTHING is in the cash shop, it just makes the whole thing feel shallow.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

In some way I’m glad about it… I feel that most of the armor sets look better on females than on males (they’re way too chunky, almost all look like brutes), can’t wait to get this kitten looking armor ^^

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I love the way the female one looks. Finally a stylish heavy armor set. Many have been asking for this, there’s already a lot of clunky knight-like armor in the game.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

what new armor skins ? i cant seem to find any lol

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I can’t help but agree. Chain-mail bikinis are sexy the first time around, but I’m thinking they’re way overdone now. Give us something unique to look at, both as male and female!

Don’t get me wrong, they should have chain bikinis (i mean some people like playing that berserker character who is dressed in very small amounts of armor), but if they do that for an armor it should be for both male AND female, not Male being some knightly juggernaught armor where they’re clad head to toe in 12 inches of steel, and then the females are essentially dancers for jabba the hutt.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

well if you play female charr they get the same version as the males lmfao

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I think that driving gem store sales is important to the continued success of the game. However, I would agree with the OP to the extent that a better balance could be struck. This could be done by either alternating skin releases between gem and in game attainment, or by having some skins in the gem store and some not for each release.

I don’t think the situation is quite so bad as the OP suggests. Off the top of my head we have recently had:

Back pieces,
AP sets,
SAB skins,
Sovereign skins,
Twilight Arbour recolours (half a point).

I don’t think that is too bad, given the game is B2P. However, I think the lack of armour skins on that list, combined with the VERY quick succession of Halloween skins to the new skins in BLCs makes the situation look worse than it is. Maybe a little more balance in order to maintain customer satisfaction would be beneficial?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

You all do realize the heavy and medium armor are the same model with a bit of different textures, right?
The helmet is different, but just look at it. Its clearly the same model.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

If they are this bad for humans, I wonder how bad they will be for a Charr.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Agronach.4903

Agronach.4903

I’ll offer a contrary opinion. I love playing this game and if there is something that I see in the gem store that would be fun/look cool, I buy it. If I don’t see something I like…I don’t buy it. The one piece I don’t do is freak out every time something is added to the store that requires an RMT – no one is forcing me to buy it because my game play does not change as a result.

Ultimately, I feel that Arenanet is offering a service – for which I pay nothing for if they don’t show me something I like. In either case, that is not alienating anyone but rather running a good business model and giving folks choices on how to spend their money on cool stuff. Or…I can grind dungeons every day and make a bunch of gold to turn into gems. Again…options that I do like and do not feel compelled to do something about.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

The female phalanx armor looks like it should be an entirely different set. Was really hoping for non stripperific yet good looking armor for my female warrior, something closer to the male version.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

This is really disappointing. I was really excited about the Phalanx armor, until I saw that the female version is nothing like the male version.

That’s exactly how I feel. The female armour doesn’t look right at all. It looks like a… a mistake to be honest. It doesn’t look a bit like the male version, doesn’t look like heavy armour at all and doesn’t actually look like a set of armour.

Well, that’s 800 gems I won’t be spending.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

Don’t get me wrong, they should have chain bikinis (i mean some people like playing that berserker character who is dressed in very small amounts of armor), but if they do that for an armor it should be for both male AND female, not Male being some knightly juggernaught armor where they’re clad head to toe in 12 inches of steel, and then the females are essentially dancers for jabba the hutt.

Hrm, ok. I see what you’re saying and I do agree with that. Armor equality; if girls get a chain mail bikini, men should get a chain mail speedo and that’s it. :p

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

For everyone who hasn’t seen them: http://dulfy.net/2013/10/29/gw2-trickster-viper-and-phalanx-armor-skins/

Now to the question: Why does the female and the male version looks sooo different?
Is this intentional, or has someone made a huge mistake here?

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

You all do realize the heavy and medium armor are the same model with a bit of different textures, right?

Yeah. I was wondering at that… I hope it’s a mistake and they’ll release the real female Phalanx armour instead.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

the skins are all ugly but the sword and staff and trident

in Tower of Nightmares

Helicity.3416

Yeah. I was wondering at that… I hope it’s a mistake and they’ll release the real female Phalanx armour instead.

Put them side to side on two tabs, and switch between them. They are not the same model at all, and that disgraceful cop-out is indeed female phalanx.

So disappointing.

Nemain/Kali Darru [FUN]

in Tower of Nightmares

skullmount.1758

They should be two different heavy armor sets. One thats the same between male and one thats the same between female of those two (a female full heavy plate like the male one, and a more open one like the female version).

Darkhaven server

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Preacher.9018

Preacher.9018

Once again disappointed no good medium armor.

Also, why such difference between male and female skins?

http://www.pevepe.net/ – Seafarers Rest Server community website

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

Chainmail speedos FTW.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

My only complain about the new armor (especially the medium one) is THIS
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/44/1383066662-gw504.jpg

Can’t every stuff “connect” properly?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Play a female charr. You get to wear male armour all the time.

Human females are for people who want to play dress up.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t have an issue with them looking different necessarily.

Although I think most of the female versions are hideous. They might do ok mix and match, but as whole sets … shudder

I know other people will like them though. To each their own.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I bought gems hoping for the phalanx armor set but….
the difference between the male proper heavy and the female set is like night and day

I was so hoping to have my female guardian in full plate armor just like the male version:(
I’m a bit disappointed to say the least

in Tower of Nightmares

Helicity.3416

Human females are for people who want to play dress up.

Yes? and?

We want to dress up as a chick in badkitten armor.

so what exactly was your point?

Nemain/Kali Darru [FUN]

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The female phalanx armor clips with itself.

Somewhere a manager looked at his minion’s work and just blithely checked it off as ok.

Tragic.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

(edited by Nike.2631)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I dunno I like the leggings.

Can’t please all the people all the time.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Tower of Nightmares

skullmount.1758

Put them side to side on two tabs, and switch between them. They are not the same model at all, and that disgraceful cop-out is indeed female phalanx.

So disappointing.

Yeah, there is no way they are even close. Why can’t we get heavy armor like the male one for females?

Darkhaven server

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I also like the leggings.. But I would like to see this armor on Asura first. Not home yet, so can’t preview!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Why not a skimpy set for male?!

And what is up with the sideways slanted skirts o.O

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

whole armor is metal and then random cloth pants lmfao. Gloves look like they came from a cartoon. Great helm tho and shoulders arnt too bad but cant say much good for the rest.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

I’d rather my female warrior look like she was ready to wade through a field of blood and gore and get kitten done….not like she was going to cosplay at a convention.

The male phalanx armor looks perfect for it. The female version looks nothing like real armor.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

Yay, the only light skin armor I’ve been waiting for and… What the hell with the gigantic boots and gloves? Do I really have to change my character’s body build to have a decently proportioned armor skins? She doesn’t look like she has shovel palms without the armor, so nope, I won’t change the build, I will sit here and wait till someone scales down those parts. Which means never. No gem purchase.

Such a nice armor. Been waiting so long. And such a disappointment.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

If anyone finds the game codes for the armor sets, please add them to the thread. I like to mix and match before I decide to buy, and it takes a few days for other sites to post the codes usually.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: shadowshift.5320

shadowshift.5320

Anyone have screens for how it looks like on Norn males or Asura? I’ll settle for having it on my guardian as long as the shoulders scale correctly on the Norn, and not ridiculous like most heavy shoulders outside of cultural.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Why is everything unique about the light armor removed for females? When I saw the first preview image on a male I thought I could make a cool themed armor with the face-gloves and boots, Human T2 shoulder and one of the necro-masks.

NOPE, faces are gone, just a jacket, skirt, and boots/gloves exactly like a dozen other armor sets.

Why can the developers not make female armor that isn’t boring without making it slu’tty?

(edited by Conncept.7638)