Home instance obelisk disappointment

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

as always disappointment is the name of the game !
the obelisk skill point doesn’t reset !
if all I needed was a place of power there’s one in garrison and it only costs me 2 silver !

I thought for once you actually had a great nice thing to add to the home instance but as always it just falls short.

gathering nodes, once per account instead of once per character !
at least it can be mined every day !

Now this obelisk, great idea but falls short, the skill point doesn’t reset !

I love this game, which is why I write on the forums if I didn’t care I wouldn’t bother to post at all !

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

I dont know about you, but personally for me it is one less login screen, not that I actually gather it anymore though, but I try to have as many stuff as possible, so collectionist here <;—-

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

Yaaay, me too I like to collect stuff, if I could I would help every ally race so they appear in my home instance, but unfortunately you can only have one : ( I chose the ogre.
2 silver times the number of charged quartz you need is a lot of silver… If you don’t want them I’m takker.
But everyone have his own point of view, I’m just giving mine : I like the obelisk, those who weren’t there will never have it, hahahahahahaha…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Skill points aren’t suppose to reset.

The main function is the Quartz recharging or whatever.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Tower of Nightmares

Latinkuro.9420

^^ which is why I’m disappointed lol !
I can go to garrison if I need a place of power !
as a place of power inside my home instance the least I was expecting is for it to reset every 24 hours that would actually be something worth having in there !
but, just a place of power is not really anything special at all !

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Grenthblood.1358

Grenthblood.1358

You appear to have an exclamation point fetish….

On a more serious note, however, this point of power really is special. It’s special in the fact that once this meta is removed, nobody else will be able to attain it. That, in its very definition, is special. It is unique, and limited-time. I’m sure if you have an un-opened collector’s edition copy of an old game (Let’s just use Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as an example) just sitting in your house, it is very special to you, and yet it provides less function for you than this obelisk shard does.

Even if the item in question holds no monetary value, it still holds sentimental value. You’ll be able to tell stories about it to your friends and family every time you start to reminisce on times past.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Just think, in years to come you can take people to your home instance and point out your own personal quartz charger. Which is useful if you have quartz to charge and a reason to do so (and maybe not so useful if either of those aren’t true). They will be madly jealous, I’m sure.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think they are looking for close-to-benign additions to the home instance. Instead of adding something incredibly valuable (in general, I think a daily skill point is OP) they keep them relatively worthless so as not to give out too much and have players miss out on too much if they don’t get it. It makes players feel like there is some kind of reward without making it too powerful. A place of power in a home instance has a lot of synergy with the Quartz node as well. A free skill point for every character will be very useful for alts.

in Tower of Nightmares

Latinkuro.9420

oh, so asking for it to give 1 skill point per day is OP
how about the people that get 30 skill points from champion loot bags or people like myself that get 15-25 skill points per day from dungeon running ? I guess that is extremely OP from your perspective than.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

oh, so asking for it to give 1 skill point per day is OP
how about the people that get 30 skill points from champion loot bags or people like myself that get 15-25 skill points per day from dungeon running ? I guess that is extremely OP from your perspective than.

Yes, I think they should completely remove those skill point scrolls from the loot bags too!

<sarcasm off>

That’s the reason why I don’t understand why they don’t recharge it daily, once per account, just like all other nodes there.. Add a lvl60-80 requirement to it, even.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

They need another use for quartz.

celestial is garbage, you’re hurting yourself for wearing it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

The problem is that there’s no shortcut to home instance and home instance doesn’t have all services available that the hubs have. I don’t even gather the CC and Crystal nodes that are in the home instance.

For me the issue is all the zoning and lack of services. Home instance does not have bank so I have to first zone to racial capital, then visit bank to pull shards off of it and then zone to instance, and only then I can use the obelisk.

Mining a few candy corn or crystals is just not good enough reason to go there. I could consider it if the crystal node provided enough crystals to use the obelisk on the same run or if it pulled them directly from bank but it’s unlikely even then as the crystals just aren’t that useful and it’s just faster to use a place of power on a regular map.

There’s no BLTC or Bank, or crafting stations or merchants so I rather zone to a hub where I can sell junk, purchase salvage kits, trading, crafting, and even complete some dailies at times. I rarely even visit racial capitals because LA often has faster access to services plus it has the mystic toilet, laurel vendors etc.

This coupled with the fact that the home instance does not feel at all like a home. There’s nothing that feels personal to me. It’s a random zone within a zone with random NPCs that spout generic lines. It doesn’t differ in any way from the surrounding city. I can’t customize it at all.

Besides none of the NPCs that are part of the living story or personal story ever pop up to even say “Hi” even less to provide some personal quest.

There’s just not enough reasons to go there at the moment. Obelisk or not. I still do hope they put more focus to home instances. Maybe all the quests for potential legendary crafting should start from there? Maybe it should actually get involved in the living story? But even these would be temporary distractions.

Home instance portal would be handy…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

I thought the skillpoint was at least once per day per account, what wouldn’t have been OP or anything. You could have got it with the character who needed it the most and be happy.
I mean… a skillpoint per day for every character on your account would have been the greatest Addition to the homeinstance by now.

Sadly… it is of no use after using it once. You can still go there with new characters but 1 skillpoint… really? You get a lot more from lootbags and stuff… And it’s not that resetting stuff in your home instance was impossible.

Yeah you can always take People to your homeinstance later to Point out that very unique and Special private skillpoint and quartz powerup place they’d probably never have but seriousely… Who would even bother? xD What’s so Special about it? Only the fact that you have it, and they don’t? You can always go to Queensdale for free to do thequartzstuff… Or Wayfarers Foothills…

I always sell my quartz, so I don’t really Need that Thing.
Too bad it doesn’t work like we all thought it would.

I thought we got an ultimate treat for that part of the Story but actually it’s just a matter of: haha look what I have here… (which is boooriiiing) PLUS it doesn’t even look good… (And considering the fact that I truly hate Krait…)

Well you get the Point…

Trahearne <3

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

This hurt me too. I was hoping a one SP a day per account thing. This could have really helped on the alts I’m working on. I’m having to play with a lot of them just to get the SP for the Antitoxin Spray on them (my OCD at work), and this SP could really help move it a little faster. Plus people call 1 SP a day per account OP? You could rush through champions and get a hell of a lot more in a faster time.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: CameronJames.4897

CameronJames.4897

I love my obelisk, they put it in just the right place

I get the rewards more for aesthetic, I feel like my home is growing and changing.

More rewards please!!

in Tower of Nightmares

Astral Projections.7320

I thought it would be a skill point a day also and was disappointed it was a once per character use only item. I still will be getting it, but only because I’m getting the meta on this LS and going for the 25 extra AP points for completing it. Since I’m not getting celestial armor, I won’t be using it and even if I were, the skill point in a map (Lornar’s I think is the map name) is a quick jump to and jump back.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

The Obelisk is one thing I was not disappointed with for the release, it is a great addition to the home instance. I hope we get more unique things like it.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Wow! A skill point that acts like a skill point.

If you thought it would reset, you were deluding yourself.

The long term gain in functionality is that your quartz-harvesting alt no longer has to go anywhere else to combine the 25 quartz they dig out every couple of days.

NOT the complete annihilation of the skill point economy.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Tower of Nightmares

RyuDragnier.9476

Yes, because apparently it’s near impossible to get a single skill normally in a single day. /sarcasm

Nike, how would getting a single skill point from this once a day per account be a bad thing? It’s just one skill point, compared to the 20+ you can get from champion farming. Don’t delude yourself into thinking a single once-per day (per account) reuseable skill point that’s ONLY from this Obelisk Shard would be gamebreaking.

[hS]

in Tower of Nightmares

Astral Projections.7320

Wow! A skill point that acts like a skill point.

If you thought it would reset, you were deluding yourself.

The long term gain in functionality is that your quartz-harvesting alt no longer has to go anywhere else to combine the 25 quartz they dig out every couple of days.

NOT the complete annihilation of the skill point economy.

lol. The complete annihilation of the skill point economy? I have 210 skill point scrolls sitting in my bank right now. And that number seems to be on the low side as I’ve seen other people talking in game, saying that they have stacks of them. When I had 100 or so, people were pinging a stack of them in chat. Just killing a few champions will get you several. How in the world would one skill point a day per account annihilate the skill point economy?

And before you say, then obviously it’s not needed. Well, obviously it’s not needed. However a just one use per character skill point node is useless to me after that one time use as I’m not charging quartz, having no use for charged quartz. If it was a once a day skill point per account, at least it would have some continuing value.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

It’s more that a skill node that resets daily and involves absolutely no risk of combat to visit would be a little over the top as a benefit. A person could make alts to collect them en mass for little more effort than logging in.

Plus, a resettable skill node would take extra programming than the current one.

So good luck persuading ArenaNet you should get one.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Having a place of power in your home instance is even more pointless if you done have the quartz node, like me. I’ll grab the skill point and probably never use it again.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DeadZombie.6928

DeadZombie.6928

I don’t see why this is a topic of disappointment. I’ve used the skill point node twice since I’ve activated it. (I’ve had it for 3 days, missed 1 day) So it’s definitely re-usable.

Ehmry Bay’s Combat Healer:

Sorrows Knight, Image, Wraith, and Reaver

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: simzy.2417

simzy.2417

I too was hoping that this would be reset daily, I dont even farm the crystals just because I wont use celestial. I have gone in every time since I got it on my Charr Engineer and it doesnt reset.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: boredinbc.2786

boredinbc.2786

I don’t see why this is a topic of disappointment. I’ve used the skill point node twice since I’ve activated it. (I’ve had it for 3 days, missed 1 day) So it’s definitely re-usable.

Were you by any chance on alts? It’s one SP per character per lifetime. It does not reset like the other nodes. If yours does I suggest you report it as a bug.

in Tower of Nightmares

LadyRhonwyn.2501

It’s more that a skill node that resets daily and involves absolutely no risk of combat to visit would be a little over the top as a benefit. A person could make alts to collect them en mass for little more effort than logging in.

How would that work if it’s once per day per account? Besides, you can’t use it unless you are above lvl5. When you get your first skill point. (I tried it with a lvl2 character)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

I always get the feeling, the person at ArenaNet who though up the home instance in the first place, left even before they released the game. Now we have some lorewise silly crystals, a big glob of candy and a shard with some sick radiance looking ugly in some of the instance types anyway.

I vote for some “home instance meta event present eraser”. Perhaps you could offer it in the shop? :p

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Plus, a resettable skill node would take extra programming than the current one.

So good luck persuading ArenaNet you should get one.

I don’t understand this bit I’ve bolded in your post. Skill points are character bound. There’s no wallet feature for them, so there would literally be no benefit to making armies of alts to gather up skill points from the obelisk.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I don’t understand this bit I’ve bolded in your post. Skill points are character bound. There’s no wallet feature for them, so there would literally be no benefit to making armies of alts to gather up skill points from the obelisk.

You can buy some items used for crafting ascended or Mystical Forge Stuff in LA for SPs. These items are account-bound, so there is the benefit.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

Bingo. The value of certain mystic forge crafted items would plummet if a no risk method of gathering skill points were introduced.

Given how much of a chub the Devs have for the economy….don’t bother hoping for that to happen.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I kinda think this is ANet starting to invest slowly in the home instance. I personally wished it would be more than 1 per character but I can’t say I feel too bad about it.

I ? Karkas.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’m kinda shocked it doesn’t reset. I figured with the addition of a 25pt Antitoxin Spray and the talk of future new skills for all professions, this would be a source of SP in addition to leveling. It’d be very helpful for people with multiple alts like myself.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

It’s kinda ironic how some people that are disapointed over this are defending their cause with the ‘It is just one skill point a day’. Hehe Yea that’s what it is, go out to queensdale and kill a champion, you earn alot more stuff + an SP-scroll. Why are you so disapointed that you can’t get one skillpoint a day from this little ornament!? Some other LS has given us a Minipet or a tranformation tonic as a reward, but hey why can’t I get 10 copper from it once a day for each of my characters!?

People complain just becouse they can, just as I complain that people complain. ohh… dear me.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in Tower of Nightmares

RyuDragnier.9476

Bingo. The value of certain mystic forge crafted items would plummet if a no risk method of gathering skill points were introduced.

Given how much of a chub the Devs have for the economy….don’t bother hoping for that to happen.

Yes, since it would allow 1 SP item every 24 hours, compared to the 20SP one you can get easily within 5 hours of Champion farming. Your argument is flawed, good sir.

And Edgar, it’s kinda disappointing because it was worded in a style that could easily confuse people into thinking you could get more SP from it.

[hS]

in Tower of Nightmares

Overkillengine.6084

Not at all. Champion farming actually implies playing the game some instead of just logging in and collecting a skill point per character.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Yes, since it would allow 1 SP item every 24 hours, compared to the 20SP one you can get easily within 5 hours of Champion farming. Your argument is flawed, good sir.

So you want to be able to get 365 SP a year for free (without doing anything except visit your home instance)? And you’re actually attempting to compare that to farming Champs for hours on end for get rewarded with SP Scrolls?

Previously, you’d have to gain 365 levels (beyond lv 80) in one year in order to gain that many SP. So to shortcut that, people want it to be just given to them.

The word “entitlement” comes to mind.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Penguin is right. ^^

How can anyone think that a sp a day for free is something that should be given to players? Using that logic, it becomes a slippery slope as to what should and should not be given to players for simply clicking the login button.

I will agree though that having a “place of power” in your home instance is pretty unnecessary and a pretty awful reward for the LS achievements. Definitely the worst one I can think of off the top of my head. There are already tons of these throughout Tyria. Compared to the mining instances in the previous LS, this pales in comparison by a large margin.

in Tower of Nightmares

Smooth Penguin.5294

Penguin is right. ^^

How can anyone think that a sp a day for free is something that should be given to players? Using that logic, it becomes a slippery slope as to what should and should not be given to players for simply clicking the login button.

I will agree though that having a “place of power” in your home instance is pretty unnecessary and a pretty awful reward for the LS achievements. Definitely the worst one I can think of off the top of my head. There are already tons of these throughout Tyria. Compared to the mining instances in the previous LS, this pales in comparison by a large margin.

I’d like to add something quickly. The current SP markers in each map is spread out, so that you need to actually explore to reach them the first time. Then, upon finding them, not all are just “charge and win”. Some you actually have to earn by way of beating a boss. By asking for a 1 per day SP for free in your home instance, you effectively negate the purpose of having to actually go out and find the World Map AP places. You also negate the need to actually level in order to get additional SP.

And no, you can’t compare SP Scrolls in Champ bags. As far as I’m concerned, it was a mistake to make these things so common. Back in my days, I had to walk 5 miles through snow and wurms earn my SPs in order to get enough for my Legendary. Now days, you young whipper snappers have it so easy.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i am pretty sure this was only meant to act the same as any other “commune” type skillpoint you see in the open world. you commune with it, you get your skillpoint and that is it. i always saw the “true” purpose to solely be able to charge quartz crystals while doing half your daily mining in the same instance. sure, there are all around the world, so if you rather do that, go do that.

maybe this is just the start of the home instance upgrades. soon, you’ll probably be able to do your entire mining daily in the same instance, so might as well charge a quartz while you’re at it. though they’re only used for celestial gear right now.. maybe it’ll be used again in the future?

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Tower of Nightmares

RyuDragnier.9476

So you want to be able to get 365 SP a year for free (without doing anything except visit your home instance)? And you’re actually attempting to compare that to farming Champs for hours on end for get rewarded with SP Scrolls?

Previously, you’d have to gain 365 levels (beyond lv 80) in one year in order to gain that many SP. So to shortcut that, people want it to be just given to them.

The entitlement argument is pretty stupid. Why on EARTH would anybody wait 24 hours a day to get a single SP when they can just go do 2 dungeon runs and get a level faster? The shortcut argument doesn’t work when it takes LONGER to get a SP from this one point than it would just playing the game normally. If it took us days to level, I wouldn’t like the idea of this constantly giving SP. But when you can level easily in under an hour, the shortcut argument is completely and utterly idiotic.

[hS]

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I’d just like to say “I called it!”.

I always thought that having a free skill point every day was nuts. Maybe it’s just a bug that Anet will fix and I’ll be proven wrong.

In the meantime, don’t be surprised if Anet creates another resource similar to charged quartz.

in Tower of Nightmares

Smooth Penguin.5294

The entitlement argument is pretty stupid. Why on EARTH would anybody wait 24 hours a day to get a single SP when they can just go do 2 dungeon runs and get a level faster? The shortcut argument doesn’t work when it takes LONGER to get a SP from this one point than it would just playing the game normally. If it took us days to level, I wouldn’t like the idea of this constantly giving SP. But when you can level easily in under an hour, the shortcut argument is completely and utterly idiotic.

Ahem…

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

They need another use for quartz.

celestial is garbage, you’re hurting yourself for wearing it.

Those of us who know what ArenaNet is like, will continue to make Charged Quartz Crystals until we have at least a stack such that in a year’s time, when some superawesomepro Legendary is released we’ll have the last laugh when ArenaNet announces that it requires a stack of Charged Quartz.

They love, LOVE reusing underused materials for stuff. They did it in GW1, they do it here even more I think. The Zephyr Sanctum will return, and with it, potentially more recipes requiring Charged Quartz. I commend them for it, really. It stops some materials becoming stale and worthless so much.

It’s not all about Celestial Stats.

in Tower of Nightmares

RyuDragnier.9476

Ahem…

Do you want to know how many SP I got within 1 year of play? Over 2000. And you think 1 SP a day is a shortcut? Let’s do the math, shall we?

2000/365 = 5.479~

That’s 5 and a half SP per day I’ve gotten over the course of my playtime in GW2 the last year. That’s through dungeons, exploring, etc., and includes days I didn’t play in the average. If I did play as religiously those days as I did most of the time, I’d probably be over 3K or 4K SP.

By the way, entitlement means you feel you have the right to something. I don’t feel like I have the right to 1 SP a day, I’m debunking the fact that you and others think it’s OP.

[hS]

in Tower of Nightmares

Smooth Penguin.5294

~snip~

I don’t think you’re fully reading my quote. I’ll post it again, and see if the third time’s the charm.

Hint – read the BOLDED sentence

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I’m ok with the skill point being once per character. That’s function of any skill challenge in the world, consistency is nice to have.

However it would not be OP, if you give me 300 extra SP I’d shrug and add them to the 500 I have left over. The only way to profit from them is jumping through alot of hoops and making mystic forge recipe weapons to sell (afaik), anyone who’s that invested for the non-stellar gain is welcome to do so imo.

Finally, people in other games place tons of stuff in their homes in those games that has NO function at all. Back in F&F people lamented not being able to hang the karma-giving drawing anywhere… so this having little continued function is still better then none.

Once they completely redo the home instance in 2016 and you can actually decorate a home there and buy and place tons of stuff, you’ll be happy about all the unique objects that you gathered in the years before that are impossible to get then.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Do you want to know how many SP I got within 1 year of play? Over 2000. And you think 1 SP a day is a shortcut? Let’s do the math, shall we?

2000/365 = 5.479~

That’s 5 and a half SP per day I’ve gotten over the course of my playtime in GW2 the last year. That’s through dungeons, exploring, etc., and includes days I didn’t play in the average. If I did play as religiously those days as I did most of the time, I’d probably be over 3K or 4K SP.

I have 11 characters, so if i do the math and get my SP daily on every character thats

365 * 11 = 4015

So twice what you got in your year of playing.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: AryasRevenge.3175

AryasRevenge.3175

I used my obelist shard and i know its supposed to be at home instance but i cant find it, im human so it should be at queensdale right?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Mizuki Kusanagi.6584

Mizuki Kusanagi.6584

Human = Salma District (home), in Divinity’s Reach

in Tower of Nightmares

LadyRhonwyn.2501

2000/365 = 5.479~

I have 11 characters, so if i do the math and get my SP daily on every character thats

365 * 11 = 4015

So twice what you got in your year of playing.

I don’t think anybody is asking for a daily reset per character. But a daily reset per account. So, it wouldn’t matter if you had 1 character or 1000 characters. You’d still only get 365 skill points a year.