Level cap increase past 80? Y/N

in Community Creations

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

I want more trait points to play with, but leveling up dosn’t look like the way to go.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

There really isn’t a reason to raise it.

Assuming they raise it by 10, it would only take 2 days max for dungeon/fractal farmers like myself to achieve max level, but it would take a more casual player 5-10 days to reach it.

It would also make our current gear “obsolete”.

Add vertical progression through titles, WvW ranks, and guild ranks. Add horizontal progression for everything else.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in Community Creations

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

In the words of everyone’s favorite Dredge NPC ally…

No no… no no… no no no!

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

in Community Creations

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Wait until an Official GW2 Expansion, then expand beyond the level 80 cap! I wouldn’t mind seeing some new character skills.

in Community Creations

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

There’s nothing that requires a higher level cap. New skills can use the current system, or hopefully bring back capture signet

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Community Creations

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

No – What is the point of raising the level cap? At whatever level you are, the challenge comes from fighting creatures of a similar or higher level.

Newer creatures introduced at the higher level cap will have more HP and do more damage. Just because your level is 150, you are no more powerful than before, you’re just fighting different things.

Roll on the day when some brave MMO developer gets rid of levels altogether.

in Community Creations

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

No. I don’t see anything that I’d be interested in in a level increase that cannot also be put into the game without an increase. I’d love to see GW2 take more inspiration going forward from GW1 than from the big, old, arthritic MMO gorilla.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

No. The only benefit to players of a level cap increase would be extra trait points to play with — and that would just create more profession balancing headaches. There are enough problems with balance as the game stands now.

Add to that the obsolescence of current gear, and having to start over with a vertical grind, and it ends up just being a big PITA to players.

So, no.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Absolutely not. Just like the “Ascended Gear” it is not needed. The last thing this game needs is artificially huge numbers to make the “Pros” feel better about themselves.

It is the worst decision they have made since the beginning of the game and yet it was sealed before release. They have already stated they will more than likely raise the level cap on the first expansion.

Interview: http://www.gamefront.com/guild-wars-2-level-cap-raise-confirmed-for-future/

in Community Creations

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I don’t care what the level cap is as long as they upgrade current exotic gear to the same stats of the next level. Keeping the min. level requirement to wear the same as well. Then they can do what ever the heck they want!

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

in Community Creations

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

Human Female Guardian
Charr Male Elementalist
Norm Male Ranger
Human Male Mesmer

in Community Creations

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

…and don’t be toxic!

in Community Creations

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Human Female Guardian
Charr Male Elementalist
Norm Male Ranger
Human Male Mesmer

Poll on character forum is that way —>

in Community Creations

Posted by: Vyral.4365

Vyral.4365

No. Please do not raise the level cap.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

I just spent 250k karma on one set of gear and 1300 blooms on another, if they increase the level they will probably increase the level of new gear. This game was advertised as no gear treadmill, kitten a level increase.

GW1 has gone ~7 years without a level increase and it works perfectly fine.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Icealen.3802

Icealen.3802

I see the word “level” come up a lot in this post and others. To me, Guild Wars isn’t a leveling MMO at all. It never was in GW1…and the same follows suit in GW2. When you really think about it, what you start out doing at level 1 is what you will also enjoy doing at level 80. The numbers are just scaled up – that’s all.

So what does “post 80” even mean? To me, nothing. I will do the same things I enjoyed when I first started playing.

I think people need to get over this “leveling” thing that other MMOs have engrained in their brain.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Cimyr.4236

Cimyr.4236

There’s nothing wrong with raising the level cap. Do it.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

I don’t see ANY POINT IN FUTURE EXPANSIONS without higher level cap.

You will launch expansions where we start at endgame???

I can’t understand. I supose leveling system is useless AT ALL. We all should start as level 80, there is no point anymore, no objective.

I wonder what is expansions all about, new areas? lol, new story? lol.
Without level cap, without any more items type or better items… Future expansions can’t be more than a new story and some new maps.

YOU GUYS must understand that if there is new maps, new items, new things, the market will change anyways, with or without higher level cap.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

in Community Creations

Fiddlestyx.9714

There’s nothing wrong with raising the level cap. Do it.

There is already enough WoW clones out there that are failing, we don’t need another WoW clone. If you want a gear treadmill go play one of the other games and let GW2 be what it was meant to be, DIFFERENT.

P.s. I know WoW didn’t create the gear treadmill, it’s just the best example of it.

(edited by Fiddlestyx.9714)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

No……..

More content, no levels…

in Community Creations

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

I can’t understand. I supose leveling system is useless AT ALL. We all should start as level 80, there is no point anymore, no objective.

Without level cap, without any more items type or better items… Future expansions can’t be more than a new story and some new maps.

YOU GUYS must understand that if there is new maps, new items, new things, the market will change anyways, with or without higher level cap.

Well let’s see….

• New Story Content
  • New Zones
  • New Equipment
  • New Races
  • New Professions
  • New Weapon Types and Skills
  • New Utility/Elite Skills
    (to name a few items)

Nope, you’re absolutely right, there would just be no depth whatsoever to an expansion if it doesn’t have a level cap increase!

[/sarcasm]

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

in Community Creations

Fiddlestyx.9714

There is no endgame though.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

I love leveling in every game I play and in that respect GW2 disappointed me with just how easy it is to reach 80. For me the thrill is the journey to max level, not reaching max level. But GW2 isnt that sort of game and leveling is very easy and because of that there is no real need to raise the level cap.

If they were to increase the level cap to 100 how long would it take the majority to get to that level given all the various ways that youre able to gain levels in GW2? Id be willing to bet a couple of hours, half a day at the most. So to give everyone half a days worth of content theyd have to create a whole new tier of equipment and annoy the majority of players who have spent time gathering their current sets. Its just not worth it.

Dont get me wrong, id like nothing more than to have a challenge and level up further but its just not GW2. What I expect to happen is to have new infusions that increase power/defense and maybe even special ones that increase the power/effectiveness of certain skills to make builds even more interesting and important. I also expect new, more challenging enemies that take longer to kill but are more interesting and have a chance to drop better loot in new maps that challenge the way you think about and play the game. These make sense but raising the level cap doesnt in a game like GW2 where its just so easy to level that its not worth the hastle in raising the cap.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

in Community Creations

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

We do realize that all too well, and you’ve made our point for us. This line should be requoted over and over- it’s exactly WHY we don’t want the level cap increase. It would serve no purpose besides arbitrarily taking the focus away from exploration and story and putting it more on making raw numbers go up.

In fact, thanks to this game’s downleveling system it would be worthwhile for them to put LOW level stuff in, instead of higher level stuff! Start with level 40 zones and work their way up!

in Community Creations

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

The cap should have been 60 or less. 80 is a needlessly high amount of levels for a game that professed anti-grind philosophy. Along with dynamic scaling there was no reason for making it as high as it is now.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

NO

An Error Prevented Saving: Message Body length must at least be 15.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in Community Creations

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

NO! bad idea IMO.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in Community Creations

Posted by: SSY.2046

SSY.2046

No I don’t think it needs to be but i have a feeling they might (just a feeling). also ppl have been using gw1 as an argument (even though i get your point) this is gw2 it’s a sequel expect the developers to make “improvements” that may or may not be improvements.

Dark Lord Bel-Necro/Jack Monteray-Guardian Maguuma

in Community Creations

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

No, but they’ve already as much as said that they’re going to do it. If I recall correctly, the only reason they implemented levels in the first place was because people wanted to see numbers go up, and they’ll implement a level cap increase because people like to see numbers go up, just the way we got Ascended gear because people like to see numbers go up. I don’t mean for this to sound as bitter as it probably does, because I’m not angry about it or anything. I’m just mostly bored by stat numbers and don’t understand the draw of watching them arbitrarily increase.

As long as we get some more inventive and involved methods of character growth and customization alongside it, though, it won’t really bother me. What I’m looking forward to is more weapons, skills, and trait choices.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

My answer to this is still NO.

The table is a fable.

in Community Creations

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

Yes, but only if it’s a significant yes.

I think an expansion pack should start at level 80 and progress perhaps up to level 150. The way I see it, the dynamic level adjustment accommodates for everything that might be introduced with an extra 70 or so levels.
When a current player moves into an expansion pack area, their level is shifted to minimum level 80. When a level 150 character moves back into original areas, just as it is now, their level is shifted down to the maximum for that zone.

There’s a need to progress characters upwards in an expansion pack, otherwise there would be an 80’s rush to the end to steam roll all the new content. So you have two options:

• Increase level of mobs, so a lvl150 mob destroys a lvl80 char
  • Add a mechanism to slow progress, ie: Spectral Agony/Agony.

Option 1 infers a grind to get experience, however experience can be distributed in many other ways, which GW2 is great at.
Option 2 requires a gear check, which implies grind to gather the required gear. We have this currently with fractals and I personally think it doesn’t work.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

in Community Creations

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

To put it lightly, “lol no.”

You built this whole level scaling system. Use it. Raising the level cap is just going to kitten off more of the players.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

in Community Creations

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

No level cap increase but I would like to see sigils, runes, crest, gems, infusions etc. get more powerful with each expansion.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

No as for more equipment tiers to match new levels.

Yes as for increasing our trait points for more build possibilities (5 or 10 extra trait points per expansion would be great)

in Community Creations

Posted by: taek.9386

taek.9386

What if they made it like Diablo 3 paragon levels, where each level increases magic find and gold find by 3%

in Community Creations

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tentatively, yes.

. . . but not for a while yet, such as if/when they expand to another large landmass like Elona or to the far north . . . or west, or whatever. Only if we get an update with 5-10 new areas and loads of new content to fill that new level range. Only if that is self-contained so that the levels only matter there, and not elsewhere.

All this can be done without raising the level past 80, of course. That’d be great too.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Community Creations

Posted by: kaboo.5194

kaboo.5194

yes. im already killing stuff over and over again, might aswell get some lvls for it. also this doesnt exclude the option of having max item level set to 80 forever or not getting stats and trait points for any level past 80, so i dont realy understand whats the fuss about.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Zynari.7192

Zynari.7192

in Community Creations

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

in Community Creations

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Don’t care either way, voting ‘present’ I suppose.

But I must ask, why do so many people say ‘no’ and then claim that it’s because under the dynamic downscaling system more levels won’t matter anyway? I don’t care either way because it won’t affect anything, and I can’t understand, if it won’t matter and you admit that, why you would be for or against it.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

Raising the level ’won’t matter’. Meaning it doesn’t affect gameplay experience in any meaningful way except rendering their gear useless.

Which part of that was hard to get?

in Community Creations

Conncept.7638

Raising the level ’won’t matter’. Meaning it doesn’t affect current content in anyway except gimping all the gear they’ve worked for.

Which part of that was hard to get?

Does this make sense to anyone? I honestly do not understand what he means.

in Community Creations

Conncept.7638

Just not to you if you actually glanced through some of the replies.

Not making sense to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t to the rest of the world. I heard pre-pubescent development tends to veer towards egocentric traits. Might be true.

No I’m pretty sure inability to properly and clearly word a sentence is more to blame. I literally, as I said, do not understand what you mean. The first sentence seems to agree with me while the second clearly contradicts the first.

You refuse to, or don’t want to understand. There’s a difference between Not understanding and refusing to understand. It’s just that.

End of discussion with you.

Your inability to clearly state what you mean is not my refusal to understand it. If I didn’t want to understand what you meant, I wouldn’t have asked. You say it won’t affect anything, then proceed to make claims that don’t make sense in the context of the post you were responding to, then answer my questions about your claims with substance-less insults.

I am honestly trying to figure out if I’m just being trolled and you think you’re being funny, of if you’re just completely bonkers, but either way I would still like a real response to my question if anyone would like to give one. I do not understand how this matters under the dynamic scaling system, as in any PvP situation you are guaranteed to be scaled up to max level. And in any situation where they raise the level cap, PvP would be split inbetween core game and expansion just as it is in every other MMO, so that those with more content do not have an advantage over those with less.

in Community Creations

Posted by: viennapleads.1784

viennapleads.1784

Yes… I'm addicted to leveling.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

No. I do not wish for them to raise level cap BUT i want more trait points. I want them to add at least 15 additional trait points for builds to be more flexible.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Weebitt.3157

Weebitt.3157

NO, I don’t think there is a need to raise the level cap.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

NO, thanks.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

NO!!. Lvl 80 is fine

in Community Creations

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

If they raise the level cap I will stop playing.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Don’t care either way, voting ‘present’ I suppose.

But I must ask, why do so many people say ‘no’ and then claim that it’s because under the dynamic downscaling system more levels won’t matter anyway? I don’t care either way because it won’t affect anything, and I can’t understand, if it won’t matter and you admit that, why you would be for or against it.

Interesting question. For me it’s because I think GW2 has, in places, a problem with trying to straddle the fence, and as a result there are some elements that don’t quite live up to ArenaNet’s ambitions. Hearts, for instance, are a product of stepping back to give a crutch to people who just couldn’t get hold of DEs, and they ended up overshadowing DEs in a lot of ways despite the fact that events are supposed to be the bread and butter of world content. They’ve been quick to add stat-based vertical progression when people asked for it, but there’s been no sign of further opportunities for character customization and growth aside from that.

Don’t get me wrong; I love the game, I think ArenaNet is doing a wonderful job, and they’re good at learning from mistakes. But it feels like when they make decisions based on what people supposedly want from an MMO, it ends up entrenched because it’s the path of least resistance, and the rest of the design naturally drifts over to follow it. I don’t believe that’s their intention at all, but I do think it might be easier for them to get more creative with progression if they can just assume everyone’s going to be 80 throughout the content and create more and more “endgame.” That worked out well for GW1 and Final Fantasy XI (at least until they raised the cap); in FFXI, because they didn’t raise the cap for so long, the developers ended up creating a bunch of alternative gameplay systems.

And really, when I look at a zone like Orr and compare it with the areas that come before it, I can’t help but think how much cooler it would be if every new zone were more like an “endgame” area rather than “leveling” content. I adore the open world, but despite the whole-game-is-endgame goal, the reality is that areas meant for leveling progression are generally much easier, give rewards that are temporary and meant to be replaced by higher-level items, and revolve around hearts instead of DEs. Again, it’s something that became entrenched and seems to have steered them away from what they said they wanted to accomplish.