How is Bone Pick worth buying?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Devik.9852

Devik.9852

Without touching a calculator I can’t wrap my mind around how much farming someone would need to do for the Bone Pick to be worth it.

Orichalcum Mining Pick is only 4 silver.

Can someone explain to me why I would want it other than bag space (which I always have a ton of).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No reason other than never running out and not taking any inventory space. Oh and if you run a necro it can look cool. It’s entirely a convenience item.

Plus it’s $12.50. Never, ever try to equate the cost of on item in the Gem Shop to gold based on whatever the current exchange rate is because ANet doesn’t when pricing it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Devik.9852

No reason other than never running out and not taking any inventory space. Oh and if you run a necro it can look cool. It’s entirely a convenience item.

Plus it’s $12.50. Never, ever try to equate the cost of on item in the Gem Shop to gold based on whatever the current exchange rate is because ANet doesn’t when pricing it.

It’s not like $12.50 is a lot of money to anyone – rather that spending $12.50 on a virtual mining pick in a game with no added stats ie magic find seems totally wasteful.

Thanks for the feedback!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

It’s not like $12.50 is a lot of money to anyone – rather that spending $12.50 on a virtual mining pick in a game with no added stats ie magic find seems totally wasteful.

Thanks for the feedback!

Then don’t buy it. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Thanks for the feedback!

Then don’t buy it. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Pretty much this.

When I picked up my set of infinite tools for my main (and 2/3 of a 2nd set for whatever alt I was leveling) the gold —> gems price was better by a bit, but it’ll still take ~2-5 years to “break even” mining 100 times a day (at least that’s what my fuzzy memory tells me – at least when they became account bound and raised to 1k gems). Is that “worth it”? Well I’ve never run out of a pick while mining and don’t need to worry about the bag space. Plus what else would I have spent that gold on anyways? The tools and the copper fed salvage kit are just designed to make your life easier.

Really the gem prices are you to decide if anything is worth it or not. $10 for a character, $12.50 for an infinite tool, $5 for an extra bag slot, etc, ~$1-3 for most of the random consumable items. If you don’t think it’s worth it that much in real money, then ask yourself if it’s worth that much in gold.

Oh as an aside, I know the infinite water sickle (what ever it’s name is) is slightly faster at harvesting than a normal sickle. I forget if the picks/axes are, but I don’t think so.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Pretty sure only the sickle is faster. I got one of each, that’s enough for me. Yay again for making them account bound a while back!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Don’t buy it. Wait for the unlimited pick that gives sprockets to return to the gemstore. Sprockets are worth quite a bit these days.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

some people like myself are neurotic about “never running out of consumables” and it drives me up a wall to use an item that will run out if i havnt made absolutly certain (im serious i have graphs and charts and calculators and protractors and an advanced spreadsheet program called spss) that i am using the item to maximize efficency.

with the unlimited tools neurotic fools like me can throw out all that silly math stuff and just hammer away at rocks without thinking about it like a frat boy wearing a lampshade on his head and ramming the aformentioned head into a television. the lampshade presumably doesnt have unlimited charge and he didnt pay gems for it but you see what im saying…..right? right?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Don’t buy any of the unlimiteds unless you want aesthetics. If any of the picks are even close to being worth anything now, its the Sprocket Pick, everything else is inferior to the functionality.

Duty is heavier than death.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

My Watchwork pick has probably just broken even many months after release. At the time there was a lot of resentment about it because people felt it was pay to win, and many people still do. This exact maths is tricky because I converted a lot of them into Watchwork mechanisms which at the time was sensible, but the price for those has not kept pace with the sprockets.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

But I’m willing to bet the Watchwork pick will never return to the Gem Shop due to the uproar.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Don’t buy any of the unlimiteds unless you want aesthetics. If any of the picks are even close to being worth anything now, its the Sprocket Pick, everything else is inferior to the functionality.

I don’t care about the looks, I bought them for the convenience of not having to carry around backup tools or need to swap one while the game considers me to be “in combat.”

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

I don’t care about the looks, I bought them for the convenience of not having to carry around backup tools or need to swap one while the game considers me to be “in combat.”

Which is all well and fine, I thought the same way. But had I known they’d release one with perks. I wouldn’t have bought the previous ones. Plus, nothing says they won’t release more ‘improved’ picks.

Just know that it lacks the added feature despite it having the same pricetag. If that’s cool, feel free.

Duty is heavier than death.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

some people like myself are neurotic about “never running out of consumables” and it drives me up a wall to use an item that will run out if i havnt made absolutly certain (im serious i have graphs and charts and calculators and protractors and an advanced spreadsheet program called spss) that i am using the item to maximize efficency.

with the unlimited tools neurotic fools like me can throw out all that silly math stuff and just hammer away at rocks without thinking about it like a frat boy wearing a lampshade on his head and ramming the aformentioned head into a television. the lampshade presumably doesnt have unlimited charge and he didnt pay gems for it but you see what im saying…..right? right?

I’m kind of the same way LOL.

I definitely hate how I only have 1 Spooky Ghost! Tonic left
Or…
How I have 1 more basket of DragonBash fireworks.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i bought it from back when it just came out, i guess i am the smart one here since i only bought it for 800 gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

You pay for the convenience, not an economic advantage over other players. I thought it was well worth the convenience as i never have to worry about gathering tools anymore, which was a load of my mind.

And then ofcourse they came up with a flat out better watchwork sprocket miningpick…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

Another advantage is that you never have to feel guilty about using an ori pick on a copper node.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Another advantage is that you never have to feel guilty about using an ori pick on a copper node.

Yeah .. or like me change to mithril picks when farming in lower zones, and then forget to equip the ori pick again in Frostgorge

Personally i have now 9 picks, 8 axes and 7 sickles .. bought most of them however for around 30g at that time.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: jblade.6470

jblade.6470

Like some others here, I bought the unlimited tools with cash and did it for cosmetic and convenience reasons. Bought this for my necro as well as the jack-in-the-box tool. Hope to gear all 8 of my 80s with a full set themed to their class some day because that’s what I enjoy. If saving gold is your reason, no it’s probably not worth it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RavenRecoil.6103

RavenRecoil.6103

I bought mine out of pure convenience. I felt bad using a minthril pick on iron mines. So I carried a lot of tiers of mining tools. Now I don’t have to do that. I can mine what ever I want. I don’t care about the money and how long before it will pay for itself. Anet bring back the sickle and take my money!!

I am a hardcore casual player at best!!
Always up wind from my prey. I want them to smell my farts!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

It worth it,it will pay itself up in now time if you are professional miner

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

It’s not. The watchwork pick is equivalent or better in every way and costs the same amount.

ALL picks are defective compared to it.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Which is why the watchwork pick will never grace the Gem Store ever again. The Devs realize that they stepped in it that time. Therefore all remaining unlimited picks are the same other than looks and animation.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

It’s not. The watchwork pick is equivalent or better in every way and costs the same amount.

ALL picks are defective compared to it.

it is worth it, just not in it’s current form.
it should be an unlock for that price, not a one-item deal even if it’s account bound.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Without touching a calculator I can’t wrap my mind around how much farming someone would need to do for the Bone Pick to be worth it.

Orichalcum Mining Pick is only 4 silver.

Can someone explain to me why I would want it other than bag space (which I always have a ton of).

Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon
Or ask the grinning bob cat why he grins
Can you sing with all the voices of the mountain
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind

But in all seriousness, most people who buy these things do so for the convenience, not the monetary benefit. It’s most certainly a monetary loss, but if all you value is monetary gain, then I would ask: with money, can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Convenience item. Not sure how that is a hard concept to grasp.

Before these tools were Account bound, I never considered purchasing these gathering tools, but have reconsidered since I can pass them around to any of my characters.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Disregarding the Watchwork Pick, there are two reasons you would buy the Bone Pick (or any other unlimited tool):

1. For the aesthetics. The Bone Pick might be perfect for a Necromancer, for example, and the Molten Pick might be perfect for a flame-themed character.

2. For convenience. One of these picks means you never have to spend time replacing picks ever again (or keeping multiple picks of varying quality, if you dislike wasting expensive picks on low-level nodes) and inventory storing all those tools. Depending on your “income per hour”, you may find the time saving to be worth much more than the gold/gems you spend on these tools.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

people buy the picks with effects for its aesthetics, not for economical reason…

if you love the effects, it’s always worth it… otherwise you’re just wasting your gems

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in Black Lion Trading Co

Devik.9852

That is so true lol.. I always switch for platinum nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Devik.9852

people buy the picks with effects for its aesthetics, not for economical reason…

if you love the effects, it’s always worth it… otherwise you’re just wasting your gems

Very true, kinda like the finishers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

I dont have the bonepick, but I have other infinite tools. 3 sets if I remember corrctly. I never thought about them beeing worth it economically, just saving inventory space and never have to remember bying new one all the time.
I even bought one watchwork pick just to get a whole set, didnt know about the sprockets, though it was a nice surprise as I can get all my alts the backpack with time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I have the 1st of each unlimited gathering tool on my main. I love them, as I hated buying handfuls of tools all the time, and of course they look cool… Well, the Aetherized Logging Axe is kind of mediocre compared to the others’ effects honestly.

Although they were 800 gems back then I believe.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Not everyone…..I don’t give a fig about the effects. I wish they sold a cheaper one with no effects….I’d buy them for all my characters. I buy them so I don’t have to think about gathering tools….period.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: crazy.9083

crazy.9083

Not everyone…..I don’t give a fig about the effects. I wish they sold a cheaper one with no effects….I’d buy them for all my characters. I buy them so I don’t have to think about gathering tools….period.

Exactly this – bag space too.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

I buy them because Melaggan commands it….uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh……

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Which is why the watchwork pick will never grace the Gem Store ever again. The Devs realize that they stepped in it that time. Therefore all remaining unlimited picks are the same other than looks and animation.

There has never been any announcement that there will not be another watchwork pick sale (or another tool that gives bonuses beyond the usual mined items).

Anet has had plenty of opportunities to comment on this issue (see https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Watchwork-Pick-Why-No-Response/first for example) but has not done so.

Therefore, we should assume the Watchwork Pick (or something similar to it) may make a return…. in which case I recommend you not buy the Bone Pick: you will regret it when the Watchwork pick returns to the gemstore.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It’s really a toss up whether the watchwork or any similar pick ever comes out for sale. I’m apt to lean towards not seeing one based on the uproar it caused, but that’s just me. I really didn’t mind either way myself. It wasn’t any different that what other businesses do to give people incentive to keep buying.

Personally, I have 3 sets of the infinite tools. I found them worth the investment, and I’m regularly swapping them between the 13 characters on my account, along with the copper fed salvage-o-matic. Its just more convenient for me than to carry a bunch of the limited ones on me (and then having to remember which I one I need for the zone I’m in).

Whether or not someone else finds them convenient or worth the cost, that’s completely up to them. If you don’t think so, just don’t buy ‘em. There isn’t any obligation to do so.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vagrant.9105

Vagrant.9105

Figured I’d post the math for anyone interested.

Infinite tools cost 1000 gems each.
Normal tools cost 4 silver each or .0004 gold per swing of the axe.

Scenario A: You want to trade gold for gems to buy the tool.
Lets say you are incredibly lucky and bought the gems at the weekly low of 7.07 per 100 gems.
That’s a total cost of 70.7 gold.
70.7(g) / .0004(g/swing) = 176750(swings)
It takes 176750 swings to break even.

Scenario B: You have 1000 gems lying around and are debating whether to sell them for gold.
Lets say you unlucky sold the gems for the week low of 5.22 gold per 100 gems.
That’s a total earnings of 52.2 gold.
52.2(g) / .0004(g/swing) = 130500(swings)

To give some perspective.
If you are crazy enough to mine 100 swings per day every day (including holidays, your birthday, your kids graduation day, and even your hamsters funeral day), it would take 4.84 years to break even in scenario A and 3.57 years in scenario B.

If you see anyone that owns a gathering tool, point at them and laugh.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

That’s a fair way to look at it. Although by that line of thinking, anybody who spends money on expensive skins is also deserving of mockery. “Why waste several thousand gold on a Legendary when it’s no better than an Ascended weapon?”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Have fun

After leveling a new Ele to 80 i bought her directly also a Bone Pick ..
now i have 10 picks, 8 axes and 7 sickles in total

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’ve done this…. and then some…. It’s really not that difficult when you spend a decent chunk of your time gathering anyway.

Besides, as I said, it’s not always about breaking even (which you’ll do eventually anyway if you just play the game), it’s about the convenience they offer. Some feel its worth the cost, others don’t. Not a big deal

Go for it. I have my emotes turned off and my settings for character renders on lowest…. you aren’t bothering me in the least.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I already saved so many mouse clicks not having to buy another set of harvesting tools that I can feel free to use them on my 10-luck essences.

Just splurging on them clicks.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Snip

Then your going to spend a fair amount of game time pointing and laughing instead of harvesting or playing as large numbers of people have these convenience items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Remember you don’t just get the material you also get gems of various types.
Buying it with in-game gold is worth it, I can’t count how many times I had to WP to a vender (which costs silver) to buy more picks!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

That the pick and other gathering tools are convenience items is why I haven’t bought any of them. I’m a bit of an alt-aholic with 10 toons and I play 6-8 of them regularly. Even with the tools being account bound, it’s inconvenient to have to toss them back into the bank when switching characters. It’s also not worth it (to me) to buy tools for each character. But if ANet offered an account-based package/contract that allowed tools for each character on the account, I’d snap it up even at a 5000 gem price. The convenience of that would be worth it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

That the pick and other gathering tools are convenience items is why I haven’t bought any of them. I’m a bit of an alt-aholic with 10 toons and I play 6-8 of them regularly. Even with the tools being account bound, it’s inconvenient to have to toss them back into the bank when switching characters. It’s also not worth it (to me) to buy tools for each character. But if ANet offered an account-based package/contract that allowed tools for each character on the account, I’d snap it up even at a 5000 gem price. The convenience of that would be worth it.

Now that the tools are account bound, I wonder why they don’t just set them up in the same way as the reward skins from the achievement chests. That way, you just add them to your inventory from the netherspace and never have to get another tool again.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

nerd

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

nerd

You did that wrong. Here.

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

Infinite tools cost 1000 gems each.
Normal tools cost 4 silver each or .0004 gold per swing of the axe.

Scenario A: You want to trade gold for gems to buy the tool.
Lets say you are incredibly lucky and bought the gems at the weekly low of 7.07 per 100 gems.
That’s a total cost of 70.7 gold.
70.7(g) / .0004(g/swing) = 176750(swings)

Scenario B: You have 1000 gems lying around and are debating whether to sell them for gold.
Lets say you unlucky sold the gems for the week low of 5.22 gold per 100 gems.
That’s a total earnings of 52.2 gold.
52.2(g) / .0004(g/swing) = 130500(swings)

To give some perspective.
If you are crazy enough to mine 100 swings per day every day (including holidays, your birthday, your kids graduation day, and even your hamsters funeral day), it would take 4.84 years to break even in scenario A and 3.57 years in scenario B.

actually, you only need 33 nodes per day for that math to work since every node takes about 3 swings anyway.
and since i have seen ppl mining far beyond that per day, your math becomes completely useless.

so to conclude, you’re quite foolish when you mine allot anyway but never buy even one unlimited tool.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

How is any skin in the gem store worth buying? At least this has more value than any armor skin because it reduces future costs. Armor skin adds nothing. This smells like a troll thread. Why complain about the cost of the pick and not the armor or weapon skins. The musical instruments are the same. They are nothing more than a bad investment by the OP’s logic. By his logic, why buy anything. You should just hoard your gold like a dragon would. But then, what’s the point of earning the gold, if you’re not going to use it.