[Suggestion] Watchwork Salvage Kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I think it’s about time for a new Gem Store Salvage Kit. We currently have the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic, which is a nice convenience. But why not take it up a notch? We need the Watchwork Salvage-o-Matic!

How it would work:

Each time you salvage an item, you have a 20% chance to get a Watchwork Sprocket and a Blade Shard. Instead of 3 Copper per use, it should be 4 Copper. The 33% increase would justify the additional chance to get bonuses.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

In before the ‘pay-to-win’ people start crying about it.

I probably wouldn’t get it because I already have the salvomatic but I’m sure someone out there would pay for it, lol.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beleth.8249

Beleth.8249

It would make the Salvage-o-Matic redundant?
1c differance?and chance for other stuff? No point having O-Matic.

Doable but they might aswell remove o-matic and just keep the newer version.

12/5/14 Legendary

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

I probably wouldn’t get it because I already have the salvomatic but I’m sure someone out there would pay for it, lol.

Maybe you can point me towards a salvage kit ingame that does that same. Oh wait you can’t.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

You mean the people who complain about others who can then ‘pay-to-get-more-sprockets’?

Oh wait, we can already pay to get more sprockets…..

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The 33% increase would justify the additional chance to get bonuses.

• 5 salvages would cost 5 copper more than a regular salvage kit.
  • 5 salvages would get you, on average, one sprocket.
  • Each sprocket is worth 3+ silver at the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As an owner of two of the sprocket-generating picks, I think they should:

• Remove the extra-ordinary bonus from the current everlasting picks.
  • Create a new, renewable source of sprockets and shards, e.g. by increasing the drop rate from Aetherblades and/or some more economically feasible method of promoting them in the Mystic Forge.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to offer anything in the gem shop that provides a feature/tool that can’t be acquired by playing the game. Everlasting tools are fine — you can get the same feature by buying the consumable versions. But offering tools in the gem shop that drop sprockets without those being available from NPCs — I think that creates a less open environment for everyone.

(And no, I don’t consider being able to buy gems with gold a method of acquiring those features by playing the game.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

(And no, I don’t consider being able to buy gems with gold a method of acquiring those features by playing the game.)

And I wonder why…since that actually IS the point. You pay more to get more.

Even though you don’t want to consider a valid point against your own argument, doesn’t make the point any less valid.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

And I wonder why…since that actually IS the point. You pay more to get more.

Even though you don’t want to consider a valid point against your own argument, doesn’t make the point any less valid.

I don’t think the point is invalid — I just don’t think that type of gem shop fits with the game that ANet presented at launch and for nearly two years since. (Note that this is my opinion of their philosophy — ANet is, of course, free to change its collective mind on the topic.)

I’m making a distinction between how the item is acquired. With the exception of the single everlasting gathering tool, every function available in the gem shop is avail in some fashion by playing the game normally. Boosters are available in the form of boons and/or consumables from other sources, BL salvage kits can drop from BL chests, and so on. You can get acquire new finishers through PvP or spend gems for fancier ones. You can even rename and make over a character by grinding a new level 80.

Generally, the gem shop has been about cosmetics and convenience. This item — and this item alone — offers functionality that isn’t otherwise in the game: a gathering tool that drops a third type of item (besides the bonus and gathered mats). None of the other gathering tools do anything similar and neither do the tools one can buy with laurels or coin or karma.

If ANet wants to change their philosophy generally, I think they should also offer more things along those lines. If they think that’s the best way to generate revenue, then I wish them luck, since I love the game and want it to be financially successful.

If they want to keep the same concept as implemented at launch, they should remove the watchwork sprocket-generating pick. It just rubs people the wrong way, which isn’t worth the small amount of revenue it might generate. It distracts people from all the good stuff in game, which is bad for GW2 and bad for ANet.

And, again in my view, the one thing they really shouldn’t try to do is claim to be keeping the same policy and yet offer items like this …and then expect the community to be pleased about it.

tl;dr ANet can (and should) do anything they need to turn a profit, but that doesn’t mean players will embrace every change, especially if ANet fails to be upfront about the types of changes or the reasons the company thinks they are necessary.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Penguin is not being serious…

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

tl;dr ANet can (and should) do anything they need to turn a profit, but that doesn’t mean players will embrace every change, especially if ANet fails to be upfront about the types of changes or the reasons the company thinks they are necessary.

I guess this player doesn’t mind then, as long as the price is fair.

The gem store is full of expensive items that are not worth their value in gold. The only reason why they get any sales is because they are unique. Items like BL salvage kit may be gotten as achievement rewards but they still rare. This is why if I want to extract an expensive upgrade I still need a BL salvage kit. Similarly for items like the Salvage O’Matic and the Bone Pick which don’t even drop. Or are you suggesting that ALL items in the gem store should be able to drop in the game? This is already not happening right now. A sprocket pick or salvage kit would fit right in with the rest of the items in the gem store.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

BLSKs are rare? How is it I’ve gotten 5 of them in the last month? From dailies no less.

More seriously, nothing is worth their value in gold on the gem store. Why? Because they’re all valued in cash. That is the determining factor of their value. Their price in gold has gone up and up and up since the game came out. Give the game long enough, and a BLC key is going to cost 100+ gold, yet the cash price will always be the same.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

BLSKs are rare? How is it I’ve gotten 5 of them in the last month? From dailies no less.

More seriously, nothing is worth their value in gold on the gem store. Why? Because they’re all valued in cash. That is the determining factor of their value. Their price in gold has gone up and up and up since the game came out. Give the game long enough, and a BLC key is going to cost 100+ gold, yet the cash price will always be the same.

That is because people drive them up by converting gold to gems instead of using real money. You know who you are!

So the fact remains that they are overly expensive and the only reason people buy them is that they are rare and hardly drop. 5 BL salvage kit is nothing I have a lot more Bloodstone dusts than that. If they really drop in game, that should be the amount we are talking about in order to make something common and dirt cheap so that they are worth nothing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

Right, because using an account bound item that drops by the dozens, cant be sold, and is used for armor crafting instead of salvaging, is a logical comparison to a cash shop item.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

Right, because using an account bound item that drops by the dozens, cant be sold, and is used for armor crafting instead of salvaging, is a logical comparison to a cash shop item.

Even if you disagree that BL kits are not a common drop, when have you seen a bone pick, cook’s outfit, phoenix armor, ancestral outfit, Braham’s armor, all the most popular gem store items, etc. drop? And you are trying to argue with me about gem store having unique items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Any gem salvage kit that would give you a chance at a rare item is a very bad idea. You know their is a salvage market right? Where a dozen players salvage ten of thousands of items a hour to give you cloth/leather. Since that is one of the few ways to get cloth/leather.

Even a 20% chance of watchwork sprockets would cripple that market and drive the prices of it down. Since it could increase the supply of sprockets by up to 20% of all cloth/leather on the market. That would making sprockets worthless. You can buy salvage unlike mining node which you have to look for.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

Even if you disagree that BL kits are not a common drop, when have you seen a bone pick, cook’s outfit, phoenix armor, ancestral outfit, Braham’s armor, all the most popular gem store items, etc. drop? And you are trying to argue with me about gem store having unique items.

Consumable vs non-consumable. Since when have you seen any gemstore item that is not a consumable drop from the BLC?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Consumable vs non-consumable. Since when have you seen any gemstore item that is not a consumable drop from the BLC?

Mini´s for example or not consumables but can drop directly from the blc.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dAcIaW.5107

dAcIaW.5107

Brilliant idea penguin, i hope they implement it at the same time as the watchwork sprocket armor… When you get hit you get a sprocket.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

Watchwork Sunrise, every time I 100b I get 100 sprockets.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

All is Vain!

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

You only want to talk about gem store items that are consumables now? Let’s see the “Additional Crafting License” is a consumable, when have you seen that drop? The “Permanet Mystical Dragon Finisher” is a consumable, does that ever drop? Even the “Scarlet’s Champions Mini 3-Pack” is a consumable but it never drops. This is only the first page on the gem store and I can go on much longer.

My point is gem store items are mostly unique, otherwise they would be too expensive in terms of gold to get sold, given today’s conversion rate. The sprocket pick and salvage kit would fit right in to their philosophy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

Perhaps, but because you can use them in the mystic forge, you do in effect consume them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Perhaps, but because you can use them in the mystic forge, you do in effect consume them.

Ah, so any item you can use in some way is a consumable now?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Any gem salvage kit that would give you a chance at a rare item is a very bad idea. You know their is a salvage market right? Where a dozen players salvage ten of thousands of items a hour to give you cloth/leather. Since that is one of the few ways to get cloth/leather.

Even a 20% chance of watchwork sprockets would cripple that market and drive the prices of it down. Since it could increase the supply of sprockets by up to 20% of all cloth/leather on the market. That would making sprockets worthless. You can buy salvage unlike mining node which you have to look for.

Thing is, Watchwork Sprockets aren’t a rare item. They’re pretty common, because you can farm them in your home instance once per day.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Not sure if Smooth was serious or not, but I vote no to power creep for tools. :P

But that said… If ANet were to sell an unlimited use Black Lion Salvage Kit, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

But that said… If ANet were to sell an unlimited use Black Lion Salvage Kit, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Talk about power creep, if that were to be the case, rare upgrade prices would take a nose-dive.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Hehe, yeah, which is why I’m sure it will never happen. But not having to store all these Black Lion Salvage Kits in my bank would be nice.