Trading Post goes P2W (Pay to Win)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

That food buff is terrible and overpriced.

They are priced at a point where people actually pay for them. So they can’t be overpriced if they sell. Remember, item prices are player set. So if you’d like to try and manipulate the prices down, you’ll have to sell the same item for far less, and hope you have enough supply to offset demand.

It’s overpriced relative to other buffs which are much better.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Even if the food buff was the best in the game which I don’t think it is at least not for most builds, I wouldn’t see it as pay to win. I’d just flip other stuff on the TP, buy gems with gold and then buy the cakes with gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Even if the food buff was the best in the game which I don’t think it is at least not for most builds, I wouldn’t see it as pay to win. I’d just flip other stuff on the TP, buy gems with gold and then buy the cakes with gems.

You mean you’d have bought the rich coffers with gold converted to gems for a chance at the recipe. But in essence your point is correct.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

They are priced at a point where people actually pay for them. So they can’t be overpriced if they sell. Remember, item prices are player set. So if you’d like to try and manipulate the prices down, you’ll have to sell the same item for far less, and hope you have enough supply to offset demand.

The point is, better for who? A ranger – for whom power scales horribly – wearing full celestial trinkets, armor, divinity runes and celestial weapons? Or for a mesmer/warrior/guardian in zerker gear? The quality of this buff all depends on the class mechanic, the build and the gear used.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

The point is, better for who? A ranger – for whom power scales horribly – wearing full celestial trinkets, armor, divinity runes and celestial weapons? Or for a mesmer/warrior/guardian in zerker gear? The quality of this buff all depends on the class mechanic, the build and the gear used.

So your point is if someone uses a bad build with bad gear this bad food becomes… Optimal?

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

So your point is if someone uses a bad build with bad gear

Your opinion, obviously not mine. You’re presuming this is bad for any build, which is either naive or arrogant because it presumes you know every build of every class better than anyone else.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

The Dragon Bash festival introduced rich dragon coffers into the trading post which can contain with a low chance a “Recipe: Dragon’s Revelry Starcake” (+270 mixed stats; +5% critical damage; +20% magic find; +10% experience points). This recipe is account bound and provides the highest allround boosts in the game. This means you are forced to use your gems but even on buying 25 chests with 2000 gems you can still get no recipe.

Other players could say that the boosts are not worth it: It doesn’t matter how much higher the stats are because it is definitely a playful advantage. Also I’m sure there are enough players that would be happy to use these boost.

But other players could also say that you can buy the food directly at the trading post: Items on the trading post are commonly more expensive than making it yourself and there is no warranty that players are providing them all the time in the trading post.

Newsflash. You can buy gems for real money, then trade gems for gold and buy all the in game things like exotic armor and weapons.

Besides, you really thing +5% crit damage will give you any advantage? I don’t even use food or maxed gear and am doing just fine in duels, and when I’m not, it’s not because of buffs or gear.

This game is skill based. it means a skilled player in yellow gear and no buffs, will destroy a unskilled player in full ascended with uber food buffs.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

So your point is if someone uses a bad build with bad gear

Your opinion, obviously not mine. You’re presuming this is bad for any build, which is either naive or arrogant because it presumes you know every build of every class better than anyone else.

I don’t claim to know everything better than anyone else. I do happen to know this particular thing better than the particular person I’m apparently in a debate with. This food, like divinity runes and celestial gear, is scrub bait plain and simple.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I see someone here didn’t play the first game and doesn’t know what REAL CONS look like..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

This game is skill based. it means a skilled player in yellow gear and no buffs, will destroy a unskilled player in full ascended with uber food buffs.

That’s basically true in most games and misses the point of something being P2W. The relevant scenario is when there are two players, otherwise equal, but one is able/willing to buy an advantage and the other is not. The player with money can then pay to win, hence the term.

Whether or not this particular recipe constitutes an advantage is beside the point, it’s the principle. Once Anet releases a recipe that everyone agrees is advantageous, it’s too late. You’d have a full on P2W game at that point and the game would be done for everyone who isn’t a buyfriend.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

“The Tome of Knowledge has been added as a rare drop from Black Lion Chests. Using the Tome of Knowledge will grant the character one level and all associated benefits. If a level 80 character uses the tome, they will gain a skill point.”

yep now is pay to win.

Actually, that’s pay to level….been able to do that via crafting since release.

That’s basically true in most games and misses the point of something being P2W. The relevant scenario is when there are two players, otherwise equal, but one is able/willing to buy an advantage and the other is not. The player with money can then pay to win, hence the term.

So from your astute observation, anyone that does not have immediate access to this food type is being denied game content that is absolutely necessary to play the game?

Some here are twisting and exaggerating the “Pay to Win” term beyond belief…..

As some have already stated, if you’ve never actually PLAYED a game that REQUIRES cash purchase to move forward in the content, you have no idea how far off the reservation your are dragging this dead horse. (even if it IS toward the so-called slippery slope).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

So from your astute observation, anyone that does not have immediate access to this food type is being denied game content that is absolutely necessary to play the game?

I astutely observe that you cut out my second paragraph which explained my opinion on when and how a food buff would matter. I also astutely observe that you are now creating a straw man since I never claimed the (incorrect) definition of P2W that you are trying to force on the discussion. In the part you did quote, I even explained in no uncertain terms what P2W actually means and you somehow managed to completely ignore that to cast my statement in terms of your definition. slow clap

As some have already stated, if you’ve never actually PLAYED a game that REQUIRES cash purchase to move forward in the content, you have no idea how far off the reservation your are dragging this dead horse. (even if it IS toward the so-called slippery slope).

If a game REQUIRES payment merely to advance in content, that’s pay-to-play, not P2W.

(edited by Leablo.2651)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

If a game REQUIRES payment merely to advance in content, that’s pay-to-play, not P2W.

And it’s been stated repeatedly that whatever you can pay in cash, you can purchase with in-game gold.

You can use your definition, sure, but the above fact still makes any “GW2 is P2W” argument pretty moot.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: errebi.7630

errebi.7630

Sorry Ursan, but your logic is a bit flawed. The fact that you can buy gems with ingame golds is irrelevant.
Does the recipe give a cosmetic bonus like: you look prettier for 30/60 min and glow like a star? No
It gives a stat bonus (it is irrelevant to argue if it is a good or bad boost, too)
So yes, since you can get the recipe only through the gem store (chest or whatever), it is a little step toward the pay to win model.
I think even your economics guru would admit it

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Sorry Ursan, but your logic is a bit flawed. The fact that you can buy gems with ingame golds is irrelevant.

I don’t understand. Why is this irrevelant? This fact makes it so that paying real-world cash isn’t REQUIRED. That’s a huge distinction.

Also your ignoring of the fact that the food themselves can be purchased from the TP with in-game gold highly annoys me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Pay to Win implies “paying”. If you can exchange in game Gold for in game Gems, it’s no longer considered “paying”, since there’s no purchase required.

Case dismissed.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

The reason this is hazy for some folks is that you can convert in-game gold to gems. If that mechanism wasn’t in place, it would be a bit easier to grasp the “pay” in “pay2win”.

This is an example where ANet actually sold something that was not obtainable except through gems. That in itself should satisfy the “pay” part of the equation. Regardless of how you obtained your gems, it was in the cash shop.

The “win” is debatable. Up until this point, I think all buffs (minus the boosters) were obtainable in-game through other mechanisms. This is one of the first buffs that was not obtainable through another mechanism than the cash shop. We’re talking the recipe here, not the food item.

It’s departure from ANet’s normal mode of operation up to this point. It’s not a clear cut pay2win, but definitely a step in that direction over previous content.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Pay to Win implies “paying”. If you can exchange in game Gold for in game Gems, it’s no longer considered “paying”, since there’s no purchase required.

Case dismissed.

While I agree that this is definitely not P2W, your comment is a bit misinformed.

Yes we can trade gold for gems, but those gems do not come out of thin air. Someone is paying for those gems. So while you may not be paying anything for converting your gold to gems, someone had to of bought those gems first before you could even convert them. So in the end, someone is still paying real money for those gems. They aren’t free. It’s an exchange.

This is one thing a lot of players seem to forget. Gems are not free. You are exchanging your gold for gems that someone else paid for. Money is still involved. Otherwise, there would be no gems to trade your gold for if no one bought them.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: johnno.7543

johnno.7543

P2W? go play an asian mmo then come back and tell me about P2W. Also the starcake is not going to give you a noticeable advantage over ppl it is a small stat increase across the board which equates to mediocre at everything good at nothing. Much better foods out there than this, which are all available to you via crafting or the TP makes this “P2W” starcake almost useless, unless you want all stat magic find food lol

Syndictive Exalt-human warrior
[Syn] Syndictive
Dragonbrand

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JonG.7206

JonG.7206

I don’t understand how this thread is still going. It is IMPOSSIBLE for anything to be P2W from the gem store because you can trade in game gold for gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s a recipe not an item. You still need to make it and as others pointed out it costs more to make than simply buy off the TP. So how is paying cash, then buying ingredients with coin, then crafting Pay 2 Win if everyone can simply buy the finished item off the TP for less than even the cost to craft?

Sounds like paying to lose coin.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fox Soul.4809

Fox Soul.4809

yes… The GemStore is a complete Pay to Win… I cant kill any1 in WvsW without a Kite or a Quaggan backpiece…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

If starcake is “winning”, that makes Sweet and Sour Butternut Curry Squash Soup “god mode enabled.”

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

ever play Runes of Magic ? now that’s Pay2Win……

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK