CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

CDI – Collaborative Discussion Initiative

I, too, worry about small family/friend guilds being shut out of the opportunity to obtain their own Guild Hall. We could all, no matter our size, obtain one in GW1, and over time fill it with NPCs offering all manner of upgrades. I hope to see the same in GW2. It was based on Gold in GW1, it can be based on Influence in GW2, or Gold. But not merits, I hope, because some of the small guilds just can’t raise merits.

It doesn’t matter how fast the large guilds will get their Guild Halls, then, as the whole purpose is to have the Guild Hall and its functions…at least, I would hope so. Otherwise, it will be just like the other Guild-centric content released. Only for those that are of a certain active membership size.

Thank you in advance for considering the small guilds, as well.

But why use a currency at all? Would it not make more sense and more important be much more fun to unlock it with doing thinks with the guild. Like i gave an example before, do a dungeon with only guild-members ir unlock it with doing guild-missions and that sort of things.

Currency is just a little boring. You do some general things and that number then go’s up slowely and then eventually you can buy it.

But if there are ways to directly work for it that makes much more clear things to do and goals to work for with the guild. What should be one of things guild-halls should provide imho.

GW2 is enough currency based. Maybe this can be done different. And that would likely also help smaller guilds out.

And if your guild is not big enough to do what you suggest? Are such guilds just left out, as with guild missions now?

No, in fact what I suggest would be doable for smaller and bigger guilds (likely more so then gold and influence would!). Maybe some parts would not be reachable easy but there will always be a difference between bigger and smaller guilds. That is not a problem in fact that maybe should even be the case.

That said, no it should be easy to unlock your basic guild-hall and after that you can start doing things to unlock more. Things like doing dungeons with guild-members to unlock new building blocks.. Well you need a guild big enough to have 5 people online at the same time to do a dungeon. So even most small guilds would be able to do that don’t you think? So even small guilds can start building on there guild-hall, adding stuff and so on. Maybe they will not be able to get every element huge guilds have but they sure can do a lot and always at least have the basic elements.

You see I am not working with currency’s here but with unlocks and drops in dungeons and so on. So that would be accessible for most guilds.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

I think your expectations for how this system would work are horribly under-thought, but arguing over how plausible this would be isn’t going to get us anywhere. So, keep going with your idea, but I’ll tell you now it’s completely ridiculous to think something like this might ever appear in the game. If the game was being built from the ground up to accommodate guilds? Maybe. But, as a tack-on system, I just don’t think it’s feasible without a LOT of time and effort going into it. Like, an entire separate expansion’s worth of time and effort.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

I think your expectations for how this system would work are horribly under-thought, but arguing over how plausible this would be isn’t going to get us anywhere. So, keep going with your idea, but I’ll tell you now it’s completely ridiculous to think something like this might ever appear in the game. If the game was being built from the ground up to accommodate guilds? Maybe. But, as a tack-on system, I just don’t think it’s feasible without a LOT of time and effort going into it. Like, an entire separate expansion’s worth of time and effort.

Multiple of the system already exist and would only need to be modified. Overflow servers, WvW has elements. And they might have also worked on things already.

Sure you could go for the most basic idea. Instance guild-hall you unlock maybe some upgrades and be done with it.

That would be the easy way out and the most boring one. But also one that would set the forums and negative feedback on red again because they did go for the most basic implementation.

You are in a time where there are other mmo’s that offer (guild) housing to an even much more detailed level then what people are suggesting here. That is what you are competing with.

Yes maybe it should be put in an expansions. That is an option I even suggested here before.

But really while technically the ‘easy way out’ is the most doable. It’s really not an option because it would make GW2 lack there compared to many other MMO’s.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I mentioned this in my highlights towards the beginning but this is the single most important factor to me in guild halls or personal housing. The one thing that has ruined housing for me in DaoC, LotRO, and now ArcheAge.

Proposal Overview Do not allow guild halls to decay.

Goal of Proposal People should be able to step away from the game as long as they wish and return to find everything they owned still there (barring the rare change in or deletion of items due to balance or other issues, e.g. the Flamekissed set).

Proposal Functionality Just leave out rents, taxes, mortgages, tokens that must be regularly deposited, etc. Do not delete or downsize a hall until the guild is disbanded or the guild actively chooses to alter their hall. Side-effect: Do not have limited open world sites for halls that people must fight over. Do not implement attackable options (unless, perhaps, there is consensual GvG and those participating sign on knowing they could lose their stuff). If the guild is removing the hall because they want a different architectural theme, provide an easy way to save the decorations and utilities for reinstallation in the new hall.

Associated Risks Possible accumulation of too much data to store as guild after guild makes halls over the years.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

Realistic as in logic and that has to do with immersion. There really does not have to be a terribly deep rules structure. Simply add maps and they can be added and removed dynamically (you would only need to reserve some place on the map). Inactive guilds can lose there guild-halls so you would not have to end up with abandoned guild halls but you would see the building process. What can be cool to see I can tell you from Landmark (what go’s about 1000 steps further as what people talk about here). Ugly and nice structures is a pro, not a con. That only makes it feel more alive. All the same nice building now that would be boring.

I know you believe I’m just looking for problems but that aside I don’t want guild halls to be a structure that gets removed from inactivity, If my guild builds their guild hall and we all go afk for 3 years I expect it to still be there when I get back, “log in weekly or your progress will be destroyed” things in games really turn me off them.

Ugly structures are just ugly if I’m in my guilds hall, it should look like our design as far as the eye can see. As for the chat one of the purposes I see for guild halls is to get piece and quiet away from the ever present stupidity in map chat. I see it as a sealed environment where you have complete control over who and what is present in the space.

“that is what I talked about that it makes the world feel more alive. Differed structures and some you like while some you hate. I would not want some dictatorship who dictates how all houses look.”

You can have your structure in an instance where I don’t have to look at it, but if it was to be an open world structure some regulation would be needed (I can already see the 5 story high phallic imagery.)
I find dictatorships to be quite fun especially if you’re the one dictating~

In an MMORTS called beyond protocol I once went on a solar system wide genocidal campaign because I wanted a planets base designed my way and others did not appreciate me wiping out everyone elses structures to do so. This was my first week in-game and a 30 player alliance attempted to stop me, two months later I had killed every last one of them and destroyed every last structure on 17 planets along with any unfortunate by-standing players . All over a difference in aesthetics

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Baltzenger.2467

Baltzenger.2467

The more I see ideas about “sandbox building” and “plots on cities” the more I feel inclined towards the idea of Guild Airships. It would be unique, it would feel part of the current(right now) universe of GW2, which makes sense, since most “heroes” (aka, players) are commanders of the pact, and airships are a thing, etc.

I don’t think we should expect something super customizable and complex, because when will we get it? in 3 years?
Airship models already exist, for various sizes, allowing you to have different tiers of airships (related to how big your guild is), we even have the example of the “private” airship you can board with the gemstore pass you got during scarlet final invasion. It works.
I think it should be simple, as a starting point, with some services, with some stuff that is useful, and after, if it works, we start thinking on airship battles, or exploration, or whatever your beautiful minds can think of.

As for now, I would like to see airships, on the skies of tyria, representing the guilds, the playerbase. Maybe, for the sake of variation in landscape, we could be able to choose where to “park” the ship, just to have a different background.

Edit: Btw, I think havign to pay a tax or a fee is necessary. We need gold sinks, and encouraging guilds to organize, and be rewarded for doing so, is good for the game. As much as I would like to have my “personal” guild hall, and have it forever, it would take away the value of having one. Don’t be cheap guys.

2nd edit: And please, if the idea of airships pass on, please! mind the camera angles. Some airships on the game have horrible camera angles that diminish the aesthetic value of actually being on an freaking airship.

(edited by Baltzenger.2467)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

Realistic as in logic and that has to do with immersion. There really does not have to be a terribly deep rules structure. Simply add maps and they can be added and removed dynamically (you would only need to reserve some place on the map). Inactive guilds can lose there guild-halls so you would not have to end up with abandoned guild halls but you would see the building process. What can be cool to see I can tell you from Landmark (what go’s about 1000 steps further as what people talk about here). Ugly and nice structures is a pro, not a con. That only makes it feel more alive. All the same nice building now that would be boring.

I know you believe I’m just looking for problems but that aside I don’t want guild halls to be a structure that gets removed from inactivity, If my guild builds their guild hall and we all go afk for 3 years I expect it to still be there when I get back, “log in weekly or your progress will be destroyed” things in games really turn me off them.

In my suggestion all you would lose is your building plot. You still have everything you worked for in the form of a blue-print. You come back after 3 years? Find yourself a new plot, place it and you are good to go.

Ugly structures are just ugly if I’m in my guilds hall, it should look like our design as far as the eye can see. As for the chat one of the purposes I see for guild halls is to get piece and quiet away from the ever present stupidity in map chat. I see it as a sealed environment where you have complete control over who and what is present in the space.

If you are in your inside your guild-hall (depending on how you build it) all you can see is your guild-hall. And what is ugly is personal. lets say they put it in an instance then there is an edge of the instance you can see. Something Anet designed. Maybe you also find that ugly. So there is no guarantee everything surrounding your guild-hall is to your likings but that is never the case. Of course you can build you hall near other halls you like.

About the chat. Well then you suggest the option that guild-halls also have the option to block map-chat. I have nothing against that option.

“that is what I talked about that it makes the world feel more alive. Differed structures and some you like while some you hate. I would not want some dictatorship who dictates how all houses look.”

You can have your structure in an instance where I don’t have to look at it, but if it was to be an open world structure some regulation would be needed (I can already see the 5 story high phallic imagery.)
I find dictatorships to be quite fun especially if you’re the one dictating~

Again you have plots and that likely works in in all direction and in addition you work with building blocks. So building a 5 story high phallic imagery might simply not be possible. I do know what you are afraid of. I did some Landmark and there the possibilities where so extreme, you could really build everything. Did it happen that my neighborhood had an ugly building? Yes, and the other building had an extreme cool looking building. It really was awesome to see the differences. Now I don’t expect anything even close to that in GW2 but I can tel you that the freedom is a positive, not a negative.

However the freedom even in my suggestion would be limited in GW2. There are building blocks and you would not be able to let a wall float in the air (as an example), and there is a space in what you can build that is limited. So it should not be as big of a problem as you seem to fear.

The fact that other people look at it only gives you more reason to make a cool looking guild-hall. Having it in an instance would take away that.

In an MMORTS called beyond protocol I once went on a solar system wide genocidal campaign because I wanted a planets base designed my way and others did not appreciate me wiping out everyone elses structures to do so. This was my first week in-game and a 30 player alliance attempted to stop me, two months later I had killed every last one of them and destroyed every last structure on 17 planets along with any unfortunate by-standing players . All over a difference in aesthetics

Well that would not be possible in GW2 i’m afraid.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

The more I see ideas about “sandbox building” and “plots on cities” the more I feel inclined towards the idea of Guild Airships. It would be unique, it would feel part of the current(right now) universe of GW2, which makes sense, since most “heroes” (aka, players) are commanders of the pact, and airships are a thing, etc.

I don’t think we should expect something super customizable and complex, because when will we get it? in 3 years?
Airship models already exist, for various sizes, allowing you to have different tiers of airships (related to how big your guild is), we even have the example of the “private” airship you can board with the gemstore pass you got during scarlet final invasion. It works.
I think it should be simple, as a starting point, with some services, with some stuff that is useful, and after, if it works, we start thinking on airship battles, or exploration, or whatever your beautiful minds can think of.

As for now, I would like to see airships, on the skies of tyria, representing the guilds, the playerbase. Maybe, for the sake of variation in landscape, we could be able to choose where to “park” the ship, just to have a different background.

Edit: Btw, I think havign to pay a tax or a fee is necessary. We need gold sinks, and encouraging guilds to organize, and be rewarded for doing so, is good for the game. As much as I would like to have my “personal” guild hall, and have it forever, it would take away the value of having one. Don’t be cheap guys.

It’s not that I dislike the airship suggestion but like you say yourself it’s not very customizable and looking at what the other MMO’s have to offer on the part of customization you can’t really ignore that. How hard it might be to implement it. The customization part would however indeed be what would take a lot of work so lets hope that they have already been working on a system for that. Anet must also have been seeing what the market is doing and understand that they can’t stay behind.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

About customization.

I’d like Chris to talk about this because of the many suggestions I’ve seen here.

In my personal opinion and experience, I think Gw2 was not developed thinking of allowing players to build stuff. This is most likely very difficult and takes a lot of time and effort using Anet’s home-made applications. You can’t just select “menu —> chair —> rotate —> place”. And even if you could, giving these tools to players would need a considerated developing time and effort, making it in simple words, not feasible.

So Chris, I would like to hear about this. Could you please tell us some things and maybe set a more realistic scope for the brainstorming? What does it means “customizable” for you and for the company? Can we talk about spawning statues and trophys in the backyard or should we talk about building whole keeps from scratch?

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

GH would be inside capital cities and major locations like the stronghold of ebonhawke, where the constant flow of players getting in or out of GH would help fill these places.

Pros: help to increase the flow of population to major game hubs, like capital cities and other important areas.
Cons: FPS related issues when we get the WvWvW raid party stopping by for refreshments ?

We must not have been playing the same game. The cities are already plenty populated as it is. It’s already taking ages to load these maps, especially Lion’s Arch which can take up to 1 minute to load. So I fully disagree with requiring people to zone into any of the cities to go to their guild halls.

I prefer AlienMenace.7516’s idea by far. Having the possibility to choose amongst multiple guild hall locations all over the world is a great idea.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Donari.5237

I have said this before, but if we go the airships route, I totally want to be able to use guild colors to paint them. For reasons*

• reasons being that our guild RPs having an airship, the Motley, painted in our purple and green colors. It would rock to really have such a thing in game. One of my guildies did art of it, even! But I won’t post it here without her permission.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Baltzenger.2467

Baltzenger.2467

It’s not that I dislike the airship suggestion but like you say yourself it’s not very customizable and looking at the the other MMO’s have to offer on the part of customization you can’t really ignore that. How hard it might be to implement it. The customization part would however indeed be what would take a lot of work so lets hope that they have already been working on a system for that. Anet must also have been seeing what the market is doing and understand that they can’t stay behind.

The thing is, customization is great, but we haven’t seen anything at all like that on the game. The team probably have some tools that allow them to make things like that, but are those integrated enough to players be able to use them?
At this point of the game, I feel as a player that I wan’t to start having the cool things now, I don’t want to wait many years for something like that…
And the idea of Airships can embrace customization too, new models, new bridges and bays on the airship can be added in the future or in the release.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Raiddx.8436

Raiddx.8436

Sorry if these end up being a bit long, but like many of you I’ve given a great deal of thought to this subject over the last couple of years and could probably come up with 200 pages of guild proposals(not limited to guild halls, granted) I’ll do my best to be brief and not repeat what has already been presented, and to divide the suggestions into more manageable chunks.

Proposal Overview:
Process for acquiring a guild hall for your guild.

Goal of Proposal:
Creating guild halls that have a very unique look and feel.
Make acquiring a guild hall feel like something that is earned, rather than simply bought.

Proposal Functionality:
I don’t want to just give money and/or materials to some invisible workforce and receive a guild hall, I want to feel actively involved in its creation.

Firstly, where? So far the proposals all seem to posit there’s vast tracts of unused land upon which a guild hall could simply be plopped down, either in Tyria or in the mists. Personally reading this thread I’ve become a huge fan of the mists concept but not as something that you get, but as something you take. And not simply some floating island, but as a unique location that will be rebuilt or re-purposed as your guild hall. Having it in the mists allows for some very diverse options for guild halls as opposed to simply “make it like divinity’s reach” or “shiverpeaks theme.” Just a couple examples;

-The Aetherblades have been driven from the edge of the mists, but they’re still out there. We’ve managed to track down what seems to be a sort of port in the mists used by their airships, and should an intrepid guild manage to infiltrate and capture it they would gain not only several airships, but a holding from which to launch them.

-In some fashion an ancient jotun stronghold from the shiverpeaks has been either moved or replicated in the mists. These are not your current day Jotun, they are their ancient, intelligent cousins. The stronghold seems to be from the last time the dragons awoke, as evidenced by the fact that the current inhabitants all suffer from some form of dragon corruption. Their magical runestones have all been removed and fed to their now absent master, but if these corrupted Jotun were cleared out the stronghold could make a mighty fortress for any active guild seeking a home.

-An Orrian citadel that seems to be phasing between its original state during the days when the human gods still walked amongst men, and its current state as a ruin infested with the risen. It’s possible that if the risen were driven out the citadel would stabilize in its original form providing a unique and grand base of operations.

Regardless of the guild hall chosen, acquiring them would be a staged process, with each stage providing a larger guild hall. It would focus around an instanced guild mission to drive out hostiles and hold territory. After successfully completing the ‘capture’ mission would come the part where you provide materials, influence, or whatever the chosen method is, for actual construction of the guild hall, or portion thereof, for which you have claimed territory.

There would be a couple stages after the first, each requiring more territory to be held on missions thus requiring more active members. It would then require more resources for the construction of the larger facilities. There could also be requirements to unlock the missions for larger guild halls, such as performing guild missions related to the three orders to secure their assistance in the form of troops, mortar support, etc.

Associated Risks:
The same as most of the proposals with regards to guild size. You risk either trivializing content to accommodate small guilds or you make things unreachable for small guilds and have players feel locked out from content. The only consolation I find for this is making the things that require a ‘large’ guild hall only being things that a large guild would want, with an example coming up in a following post of mine.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Raiddx.8436

Proposal Overview:
Guild Hall Add-on; Menagerie

Goal of Proposal:
Provide a location for the keeping of a multitude of pet types that can be accessed by any rangers in the guild.

Proposal Functionality:
An unlock achievable by any level of guild hall which provides a menagerie for the display, and charming, of the multitude of species from across Tyria, in the style of the one available in guild wars 1.

Unlocking animals would be achieved by tracking down and subduing, ie killing, a veteran member of the appropriate species. The animal itself would be added to the guild menagerie once any player in the guild had completed the subduing while representing that guild.

Each player would have an achievement track for doing this which they could complete at their own leisure either incidentally while exploring tyria or as a form of scavenger hunt, similar to most collections. If this could be done as an actual collection that would probably be better, as that way players could see which they had and hadn’t completed yet.

By having it as both a personal and guild wide collection you allow it to be a resource that players developed and filled on their own, while simultaneously allowing players who ‘arrive late’ to still be able to go through the process and acquire some personal reward for it.

Associated Risks:
To avoid juvenile animals from being pointless it should possibly be level gated, but what level is “Alright, you can go ahead and charm every animal in one spot, safely” a good fit?

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Raiddx.8436

Proposal Overview:
Guild Hall Add-on; Guild Requisition Officer.

Goal of Proposal:
Provide guilds with a use for influence that scales based on the number of members.

Proposal Functionality:
Allow guilds to spend influence to make available to its members items that they can pick up in the guild hall from a guild requisition officer. Examples would include the consumable banners you occasionally receive for completing guild missions, as well as the tier x crafting material bundles you can purchase with laurels. It would be limited to one per week per character. If you had sufficient influence income you could purchase multiple types of rewards, but couldn’t simply give every member 40 tier 6 crafting material in a single week.

These items would be available until the next weekly guild mission reset, possibly being paid for in advance and lasting the whole week. The guild members would have to visit the guild hall some time during the week to claim these items. It would cost the guild influence, with the total cost being a multiple of (value of item being offered) x (number of active members).

Associated Risks:
Largely balancing costs, and in particular deciding how much the whole guild should pay. Should the cost be based on how many players were active in the last week? How many players actually claim the items being offered?

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Raiddx.8436

Proposal Overview:
Guild Hall Add-on; Training Room.

Goal of Proposal:
Provide Large Guilds the ability to organize instanced raids while also providing a way of replaying living story content that would be too large scale for the present living story journal or fractals of the mist.

Proposal Functionality:
Either through Queen’s Jubilee style holograms and hand-waving, or Fractals of the Mists style “You can’t change history but you sure can kitten around with it,” provide an arena for large scale ‘training missions’ as recreations of historic encounters, such as the final battle for your guild hall’s territory(seeing my first post) the last few steps from living world season 1(marionette, escape from LA, battle for lion’s arch) or new examples drawn from Guild Wars’ lush history, ala FotM.

Players would start in a large, empty ‘loading’ room where they would organize. This would be an instance specifically for players taking part in this mega event, and players from outside the guild could be sent invites. This empty loading room may include a few colored zones players could stand in that would decide where they start, ie the three zone-in options for escape from LA. In such cases there would be a player count at the top in the style of wvw score while you’re in wvw maps. But it would instead show how many players were in the red zone, the blue zone, and the green zone.

If at all possible when you mouse over this count it would show a breakdown of players by professions or possibly even ‘chosen roles’ from a side window like pvp’s ready button except with options like dps, tank, reflect, condi.

Once they feel they’re ready the mission is started and the event carries on as it would originally, with failure and success netting the appropriate rewards.

Associated Risks:
Limited to large guilds.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

It comes to this in my option.

Some people here are very ambitious with guild-halls (including me) others are very conservative.

But what you must not for get is that guild-halls do have a lot of potential. They can create end-game. They can create goals and more things to do for guild and the members. They can add something to the world. They can give guilds more a place in this game, they can be a selling point if you do it better then other games. They can really at a lot, they have a lot of potential.

Now you could ignore all that potential because making it that way is hard, you can make an instance with a guild-hall and some upgrades and be one with it (not adding that much to the game) or you could go and try to use all that potential it has.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Donari.5237

The way I’m looking at it, this CDI is for brainstorming. It may transpire that some of the ideas are too grandiose or infeasible but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be discussed. Even if an idea is too much to implement, it may spark creativity on a smaller scale or inspire a spin-off concept that turns out to be wonderful.

Generally the devs running the thread come back after the initial brainstorms have died down and ask for more focused discussion on certain points. We’re not far enough in yet for that phase, imo.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

About customization.

I’d like Chris to talk about this because of the many suggestions I’ve seen here.

In my personal opinion and experience, I think Gw2 was not developed thinking of allowing players to build stuff. This is most likely very difficult and takes a lot of time and effort using Anet’s home-made applications. You can’t just select “menu —> chair --> rotate —> place”. And even if you could, giving these tools to players would need a considerated developing time and effort, making it in simple words, not feasible.

So Chris, I would like to hear about this. Could you please tell us some things and maybe set a more realistic scope for the brainstorming? What does it means “customizable” for you and for the company? Can we talk about spawning statues and trophys in the backyard or should we talk about building whole keeps from scratch?

I started my first post here with that question. But the problem is that it would go against rule 2 of the CDI. So for now I would we can suggest without boundaries.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Coodles.6198

Coodles.6198

Proposal Overview: Guild Airship Fleet

Goal of Proposal: Guild Airships have been mentioned before, but I think it’s a unique way to handle guild halls. The goal is to provide something new and interesting to the idea of guild/player housing, while also handling the issue of real estate issue that would come up with making Halls on the ground.

Proposal Functionality: First off, there would be a main Guild Airship to start it all. Depending on the size and wealth of the guild, the size of the airship can vary. Think of something like the main airship from the Bazaar of the Four Winds as one of the bigger models. This would be the central airship for the guild, with merchants and upgrades available like most of the other posts have suggested. The look of this airship is, of course, customizable to the guild leader’s tastes.

What about all the other guild members? What if they don’t like the way the Guild Airship turned out? What if they want to express their creativity also? That is where the Fleet idea comes in. This allows guild members to buy and build smaller airships that would then soar in the sky along with the main Guild Airship. Each guild member could make their own and customize it to their heart’s content. Maybe even make the bosses in the game have a chance to drop trophies that we can hang up as a sign of prestige. Players could travel between airships also, by way of swinging on a rope and jumping onto the next ship, pirate style. Or you could just use jump pads or the lighting jump from dry top, there are many options for airship traversal.

Associated Risks: One issue I can see is bigger guild making hundreds of airships and that taking up a lot of on screen resources. This can be solved by making only a certain numbers of airships visible at a time, and if you want to go to another set of ships, that would be a separate fleet. So the main Guild Airship would always be there, but then like 10 other ships could show up with it at a time. So their could be a fleet 1, fleet 2, fleet 3, etc. that you could choose to go to.

Another issue, what about being in multiple guilds? Would you have to make a separate airship to be in each guilds fleet? Not at all, that’s the beauty of living in a mobile flying fortress of awesome. If you rep a different guild, the flag you fly on your ship changes and your ship will then fly with the new guild. This also addresses the issue of being kicked from a guild. You wouldn’t lose your airship or progress of making one. You would just have to find a guild that has these features unlocked and continue on your way.

(NA) (HoD) Leader of Cherry [BOMB]! Now recruiting new/experienced players!

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Kasima.8143

Proposal Overview
To make the guild halls customizable using an interface similar to the crafting interface and a system similar to the Skyrim Hearthfire expansion pack.

Goal of Proposal
To have a way to customize guild halls that allows a good deal of flexibility while keeping it in the realm of the feasible.

Proposal Functionality
I think it would be useful to look at how the Skyrim Hearthfire expansion pack makes it possible for players to build their own home while allowing a good deal of flexibility.
You can read about how it works here : http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Construction

Mainly, there are predefined locations and the player chooses what to build in those locations from a list of predefined furniture and additions. Everything is built automatically provided that the player has sufficient materials.

Guild halls could function in a similar manner. Guild halls could be built, expanded and furnished using an interface similar to the crafting interface, using materials stored in a guild material collection. Guild halls could have, say, up to 9 different expansions in which various things can be built : Crafting area, merchant area, mystic forge, belcher’s bluff tables and so on. Each expansion would have to be built first before being furnished.

If possible, customization could be pushed further by letting guilds choose between different types and colours of walls, carpets, wall banners, decorations, lights and so on.

Associated Risks
Material costs will skyrocket. It could be prevented by adding special nodes to the guild hall instance that yield materials that can only be used to build guild halls.

(edited by Kasima.8143)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Kasima.8143

Proposal Overview
For guild halls to contain a large empty area for preparation for guild missions.

Goal of Proposal
To make it easy for guilds to split up in groups and for commanders to have plenty of room to use /supplyinfo without interference.

Proposal Functionality
There only needs to be a large empty area.

Associated Risks
None

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: krosis.7598

krosis.7598

I would (kindly) suggest that we not worry about Chris for the moment – he will come in when he comes in, and comment when necessary, and not sooner.

I think we’ve come up with some fantastic ideas, and some are immense and incredibly ambitious, and some could be whipped up in a month or two – and ANet has declared over and over that they aren’t going to give us clues as to their direction until they’re ready to do so.

This is a really great opportunity for each of us to talk about what would make a great guild hall for us, and why.

I also suggest that we think hard about the possible risks to successfully implementing each of our ideas – they only have so many people on staff, and we are bound to think of edge cases and difficulties they might not. They’ll definitely think of ideas we won’t, and if you can come up with a solid idea that’s really thought through the risks, it might have a better chance of impressing the powers that be.

Though I don’t have any idea how practical it would be, I would love to see airships. Wow, wouldn’t that be impressive? Perhaps that would just be one more option in the six to eight “styles” we’ve discussed. It’d have to be instanced, though.

I think we’ve come to the understanding, together, that a non-instanced guild housing would have to remain active (and be taxed) or you’d suffer from abandoned housing (as some games have), whereas instanced housing doesn’t have that issue.

Is there something in between those two, some way to give the flavor of a reality-based guild house while still being instanced?

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I’ll just repost from the Guild CDI

Proposal Overview
Guild Halls: Pretty much as implemented in GW1.

Goal of Proposal
Provide a place for Guild to interact and socialize among themselves and any guests they invite. Also provide a form of Guild growth and a “trophy” to show off.

Proposal Functionality
Guilds would:

• Buy an aesthetic instance somewhere (modeled like a character’s home instance), use merits and influence to expand it.
  • Enter the Guild Hall via Guild Hall button in the Guild tab. Option to return to where you were (similar to home waypoint and Heart of the Mists movement in PvP tab).
  • Access to all Guild related vendors (bank, armorer, weaponsmith, etc), generic merchants, maybe crafting and tp.
  • The ability to buy the instance should be a low level upgrade, to allow smaller guilds in on the fun. Further enhancements though, could provide for some deeper upgrades. Guild Armor Contract for instance, is easy to get, but having one in your Guild Hall could be a bit more expensive/in a higher level.

Associated Risks

• Depending on implementation, it could be harder for smaller guilds to expand into a full guild hall.
  • Having multiple guilds might pull people into the “better” guild hall, and away from other guilds.
  • Despite all the work, people would still complain
Fishsticks

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Lets talk about where and how to implement guildhalls and what becomes possible following the guildwars tradition.

How to implement guildhalls in the mists
I would immagine a guildhall to be acessable trough a portal in the mists or a guildhall to become a structure in the mists.
With this comes the question; Will a guildhall simply become an instanced waypoint/portal, crafting and selling hub for guildmembers solely? Or can this become more?
Can it become something like a community centre for an alliance? A place where everyone can come together and participate in certain events/features that are earned trough loads of guild and community effort.

I guess the idea behind this is allowing a alliance to own a certain piece of the mists where they can invite other guild/alliance/servermates into. Opening the possibility to have free roaming pvp and all features that come with it.

How would it look/work?
I would imagine a giant plane in the mists cut into several sections devided amongst 3 servers that are matched up for the week.
Each section has a certain style guildhall map, as in guildwars, where several guilds can own and upgrade a guildhall.

Each guild that owns a guildhall will rotate trough overflows every week
So your guild would have different guilds as neighbors every week. (Prioritizing server and activity)

Features and functionality
With this interactive and dynamic map the possibilities can become endless.

The guildhall represented on the overflow map can be upgraded according to the features bought/earned by the alliance and represented on the map as such. (better guildhall better upgeraded representation on the map, harder to conquer)
The overflow map can harbor features and buffs the guilds can fight over to be used in pve.
Each guildhall represented in the overflow map can have a pvx feature where the end goal is entering the guilds instanced inner sanctum harboring a chest with loot or points making up the loot at the end of the week.

I guess im well over 200 chars.

cheers.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I, too, worry about small family/friend guilds being shut out of the opportunity to obtain their own Guild Hall. We could all, no matter our size, obtain one in GW1, and over time fill it with NPCs offering all manner of upgrades. I hope to see the same in GW2. It was based on Gold in GW1, it can be based on Influence in GW2, or Gold. But not merits, I hope, because some of the small guilds just can’t raise merits.

It doesn’t matter how fast the large guilds will get their Guild Halls, then, as the whole purpose is to have the Guild Hall and its functions…at least, I would hope so. Otherwise, it will be just like the other Guild-centric content released. Only for those that are of a certain active membership size.

But why use a currency at all? Would it not make more sense and more important be much more fun to unlock it with doing thinks with the guild. Like i gave an example before, do a dungeon with only guild-members ir unlock it with doing guild-missions and that sort of things.

Currency is just a little boring. You do some general things and that number then go’s up slowely and then eventually you can buy it.

But if there are ways to directly work for it that makes much more clear things to do and goals to work for with the guild. What should be one of things guild-halls should provide imho.

GW2 is enough currency based. Maybe this can be done different. And that would likely also help smaller guilds out.

And if your guild is not big enough to do what you suggest? Are such guilds just left out, as with guild missions now?

No, in fact what I suggest would be doable for smaller and bigger guilds (likely more so then gold and influence would!). Maybe some parts would not be reachable easy but there will always be a difference between bigger and smaller guilds. That is not a problem in fact that maybe should even be the case.

That said, no it should be easy to unlock your basic guild-hall and after that you can start doing things to unlock more. Things like doing dungeons with guild-members to unlock new building blocks.. Well you need a guild big enough to have 5 people online at the same time to do a dungeon. So even most small guilds would be able to do that don’t you think? So even small guilds can start building on there guild-hall, adding stuff and so on. Maybe they will not be able to get every element huge guilds have but they sure can do a lot and always at least have the basic elements.

You see I am not working with currency’s here but with unlocks and drops in dungeons and so on. So that would be accessible for most guilds.

I think you are over-estimating what small 5-15 man guilds can do. Certainly not dungeon runs. I can’t get enough people interested in doing a dungeon run out of the 15-20 people online at the same time from the 150-person guild I belong to….totally out of the question from my small family/friends guild. It took us many months, many months to garner the influence to complete the guild vault. I would hope that access to a guild hall and its conveniences would not take an inordinate amount of time more. Try to consider all types of players/guilds when imagining how a guild hall might be obtained, and/or upgraded. =)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

I think you are over-estimating what small 5-15 man guilds can do. Certainly not dungeon runs. I can’t get enough people interested in doing a dungeon run out of the 15-20 people online at the same time from the 150-person guild I belong to….totally out of the question from my small family/friends guild. It took us many months, many months to garner the influence to complete the guild vault. I would hope that access to a guild hall and its conveniences would not take an inordinate amount of time more. Try to consider all types of players/guilds when imagining how a guild hall might be obtained, and/or upgraded. =)

Oow but I did consider that. Also in our guild it’s hard to find 5 people who want to do the same dungeon. However I also believe that if it is to unlock things for the guild-hall that would change a lot.

That is in fact one of the positives I see here. Guild halls can create end-content when implemented correctly. A dungeon people are not interested in can suddenly become interesting again.

If I now try to get 5 people together to do a dungeons that might be hard but if the goal it to unlock some cool building block or option or feature or whatever for the guild-hall I am pretty sure enough people would be very willing to join and be part of creatung our Guild Hall. Also with smaller family like guilds. Now building up influence indeed would take a lot of time for smaller guilds.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

And the idea of Airships can embrace customization too, new models, new bridges and bays on the airship can be added in the future or in the release.

This reminds me of the Ship/Base customization options from Skies of Arcadia. I was a very big fan of the game at the time, and a big part of it was this customization. So, I think even simple changes like this can make a big impact on the player, because it’s still something that you choose to fit your preferences. Even if it’s all premade, and you just choose one from six different styles of room, or something like that.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Alcarin.9024

Alcarin.9024

Proposal Overview
GH as instanced LA areas, no link with GvG, fast develop

Goal of Proposal
Have a guild Hall system tha have minimum technical implementation cost, is linked with Living World, and have no balancing problems.

Proposal Functionality
Technical implementation costs:
Implementation cost is higher as much as are the number of new features/mechanics that need to be implemented in the GH system, so reducing the number of not already existing functionality will speed up the development process. There is always time to add new features.
GH should be instanced, there are too many problems (not easly solvable) in placing them in an open area. Instanced GH also have the benefit of a faster map travel time (less building and less players to load), and that they can be customized.
Core customization should be crafting/TP/bank/merchant NPCs that should be individually unlocked by the guild. Other good upgrades could be portals or teleport NPC (main cities/wvw/fractal/dungeon to help guild organization), boost (exp/karma/gold/magic find/wxp/etc…) banners (once unlocked they should remain at least a couple of days, then they have to be unlocked again), and resource nodes.
Because GH are instanced their size could be different, and maybe it can be expanded (to have more space and as a requirement to unlock some feature, in example portals/crafting room), this can grant a minimum space for small guild with few resources, and larger space to big guilds with lot of resources.

Living World:
LA has always been a place where different cultures meet, its reconstruction should be an effort for every Tyria culture. Every race, orders and guild must partecipate to their reconstruction. Guild Halls could be a gift from LA to thanks who helped its reconstruction. So various places inside new LA should be dedicated to a certain race/order/culture (following each building style). Those places could be used as gates to the instanced GH, and each GH should use the proper building style. Very good the idea of GH inside an airship, what about one underwater (Quaggan?)?
GH should be a guild unlock that should cost influence, this cost is the help given by the Guild to LA reconstruction.
GH should be bound to Tyria History, what a better choice than make them bound to LA reconstruction?

Two words about GvG:
In my opinion GvG should not be directly linked to GH. GvG maps should be island in the Mists for this reasons:
GvG is a PvP feature, why bound it to PvX feature?
This should greatly speed up development; This make QA test of GH and GvG a complete different task, GH should not be under a looking glass to prevent any hack/unbalance issue that are very important for a GvG map. Also GH object positioning and map feature (room unlocking, etc…) could cause effect on GvG map terrain (in exp, where place asura gates?), why we want those troublemaking decisions when we can simply separate GH map from GvG map?
Could solve logical geographical problems (where are GvG castle placed, in LA or in other maps? Those maps shoul be modified all to embed those castles? And also, every GH maps should contain 2 entire castle?).
GvG map choice could be changed at will without changing GH.

So GvG and GH maps should be build for two completly different reasons, and each must be build ad hoc to accomplish only their specific needs. Do not merge them, or you will have to solve a ton of little problems.

Two words about currencies and future features:
Influence and merits are the current guild currencies, they could be better balanced but do not add new currency, it is unnecessary and complicate guild managment (expecially linking a currency to a specific kind of activity, it may force guild mates to not do what they like to do in order to help their guild).
This is not the right CDI for the next suggestions, but I don’t know if there will be some covering those topics…
New instanced guild activity (that can be started from GH) could be:
Boss rush: kill the boss as fast as possible, less time more reward.
Keep siege/defence: PvE event, keep assault/defence versus mob horde, defend/destroy protected object. May be time limited and/or reward based on kill number. May reuse GvG map.
Those event must scale to guild size and partecipants. May have separate Guild Leaderboard (competitive PvE!).

GW2 GH should have GUI button to enter/leave, like GW1 GH.

Associated Risks
Very difficult point to write! I’ve read various post in this topic (not all, it’s a madnass to red 200 post writed in under 24 hours! Chris how do you do it?), and I’ve tried to solve a lot of them keeping developer time as low as possible ( we want GH now! ). I really don’t know how my proposal could be a problem for someone, please let me know what you think!

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

I get frustrated with the overreaching – Guild Halls as player housing, really? – because making these threads significantly longer and harder to read hurts the discussion and limits the ability for others to participate. When contributors drop 12,000 characters of a proposal that WILL. NEVER. HAPPEN., it just pushes away people with good, small, workable ideas.

Keeping ideas brief and realistic shows respect for the dozens or hundreds of individuals trying to participate.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Spider.3109

Spider.3109

Proposal Overview
My idea is that every Player is able to build up a little town in the mists. There he can gather Materials to send to his Guild in order to Upgrade the Guild Hall. In the start this would be controlled via a mind craft-like crafting system to go over in late game to a Anno-like gameplay in the later game.

If you’re more interested in this Idea I wrote a Tread about It “[Suggestion] Towning”.

Goal of Proposal
I think this System would increase the team spirit of a Guild and make you identify with your guild more then simple Guild Merits and Influence which you actually get stuffed in the “random inapropriate word”. You could actually make this system as complycated as e.g. dwarf fortress xD so you’d really have to plan it.

Proposal Functionallity
The starting could be made with a Mystic forge interface, while if there’s not a new UI available, the second part could be merged into the Guild Pannel via 2 Possible mechanics:
1. Each building has it’s destined place and if you Build/Upgrade it in UI it apears/Changes
2. If a Building gets Finished you get an Item that you can Place via an (I hope improved) Siege Weapon like droping
3. A New System where you can Freely Place Buildings like in e.g. some Handy Buildup games (would be an ideal place to add a Guild Wars 2 App xD)

Associated Risks
As I’d like to have Guild halls as freely designable as Possible (2.) this could lead to serious balancing Issues in GvG.
Also it could be a real challenge for smaller Guilds.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Kasima.8143

I get frustrated with the overreaching – Guild Halls as player housing, really? – because making these threads significantly longer and harder to read hurts the discussion and limits the ability for others to participate. When contributors drop 12,000 characters of a proposal that WILL. NEVER. HAPPEN., it just pushes away people with good, small, workable ideas.

Keeping ideas brief and realistic shows respect for the dozens or hundreds of individuals trying to participate.

Agreed. I started reading, but then stopped in the middle of page 2 after the (already) bazillion of unrealistic “player housing” and “guild cities” suggestions.

Keep it realistic and feasible people. Remember that there are thousands of guilds in this game.
The devs are also not looking to write a whole new game. They want to make GUILD HALLS.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

Not sure what you mean with “Guild Halls as player housing” however many people want more as just some small ideas.

And describing into detailed how things could work is only a positive.

We do not know what will happen or will not happen but people know what the competition has and people know what they want so they are free to suggest it and I think if Anet wants to make guild-halls work it would not be some small thing.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Zenty.3596

Zenty.3596

Where?
I think the mists would be a perfect place for the guild halls since I don’t think having it in the open world is a viable option with the way the game was first implemented, it’s not a sandbox mmo and trying to make it into one now is probably not something anet has in mind and/or have the time for.

The foundation in the mists
The idea I have for the foundation is not a complicated one, I think the guild hall should be built on a floating island just like the Mistlock Observatory we have in the fractals or like the Edge of the Mists map in WvW. When your guild first unlocks the guild hall you start off with a small island with space for a guild with 10-20 members and then you can upgrade it further so that the island grows. The last upgrade will have an island big enough for a full guild with 500 members.

EDIT: By using floating islands like this it could in theory be possible to use the guild halls in a GvG format (if the fighting grounds etc are floating in the middle of the two guild halls).

Customization
I think it’s important for us to have the ability to form the structure for our guild hall and with this I mean all of the rooms. How awesome wouldn’t it be if we could choose where our main hall is located and what form the hall has aswell as which rooms/hallways that are connected to it. Just think, no guild hall will probably look alike (we can atleast hope).
Who knows, maybe it could also be possible for each member of the guild to have his/her own small private room somewhere in the guild hall (the guild leader could get a small room for each member in the guild for free).
Being able to place down furnitures etc is something I expect and therefore won’t say anything about.

Themes
It wouldn’t be too much fun if all walls and buildings would be looking the same whenever you see a picture of some other guilds guild hall, so we should have themes from which you can choose room designs, walls, furnitures, plants etc. From the start the themes should be focused on our main races, Asura, Sylvari, Norn, Human and Charr. Maybe you want your guild hall to look like a second pale tree or a garbage dump. (Yes. I’m looking at you, Black Citadel). This also opens up the possibility for more themes in the future.

Other Stuff
I’ll leave all functionalities etc to the rest of the community. : )
Feel free to tell me about what can be improved, or what consequences would come of this idea.
(Sorry for not following the proper format. ^^)

(edited by Zenty.3596)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

Agreed. I started reading, but then stopped in the middle of page 2 after the (already) bazillion of unrealistic “player housing” and “guild cities” suggestions.

Keep it realistic and feasible people. Remember that there are thousands of guilds in this game.
The devs are also not looking to write a whole new game. They want to make GUILD HALLS.

You don’t seem to have a lot of confidence in GW2. Many other MMO’s can do it however you think it would not be possible for G2.

Guild cities would be great and it would be very realistic. Not if you expect a patch to implement it next week (well maybe even then if they are already working on it) but technically it is possible. Will it be more work then a boring system with a guild-hall in an instance and a few unlocks. Yes it will be way more work but will also be way better.

And lets hope they do not have to make a hole new game for this but where looking at the competition when creating GW2 and already have much more of this in place then we might know. Not to mention that we hear “they are working on the background on things” for two years now. So that might be things they are working on.

I get frustrated by those people trying to keep it small because you know else it might be harder to make. Be a little more creative. I really hope guild-halls will be more as another home instance. You know there is a reason nobody cares about the home instance.

Those awesome idea’s I see is what gets me and will get many other people exited again about GW2 and guilds and doing things. And thats what we need.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Not sure what you mean with “Guild Halls as player housing” however many people want more as just some small ideas.

We do not know what will happen or will not happen but people know what the competition has and people know what they want so they are free to suggest it and I think if Anet wants to make guild-halls work it would not be some small thing.

I’m sorry, but I think it’s pretty clear that there are a lot of things we know definitely won’t happen. Mostly because the coding behind some of these suggestions is so ridiculous that it would take years to implement, if it’s even feasible to implement into the base code we already have.

Some games have insane amounts of guild hall content, yes, but that’s because they were built from the ground up with that in mind. There’s a huge difference between that, and adjusting what we already have to accommodate guilds. There’s only so much the team can do, and still be able to do other content as well.

You can’t put something in Guild Wars 2 just because “Game X has something similar, so you need to do it too!” Guild Wars is not Game X, Guild Wars is Guild Wars. We need guild housing that actually works and makes sense for this game, not modeling it after impossible standards a different game has already set. And that’s a part a lot of people are missing.

“Describing in detail how it would work” is nice, but unless you understand it from a programming standpoint, you’re never going to realize how some even benign suggestions would be much harder to implement than would suggest. There’s a huge gap between describing how something should work, and actually making something that functions that way.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

That’s what the proposal overviews are for – if it doesn’t sound good to you, skip to the next post after that.

- Writers: make sure your overview is a good (hopefully attractive too) introduction.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

I’m sorry, but I think it’s pretty clear that there are a lot of things we know definitely won’t happen. Mostly because the coding behind some of these suggestions is so ridiculous that it would take years to implement, if it’s even feasible to implement into the base code we already have.

Some games have insane amounts of guild hall content, yes, but that’s because they were built from the ground up with that in mind. There’s a huge difference between that, and adjusting what we already have to accommodate guilds. There’s only so much the team can do, and still be able to do other content as well.

You can’t put something in Guild Wars 2 just because “Game X has something similar, so you need to do it too!” Guild Wars is not Game X, Guild Wars is Guild Wars. We need guild housing that actually works and makes sense for this game, not modeling it after impossible standards a different game has already set. And that’s a part a lot of people are missing.

“Describing in detail how it would work” is nice, but unless you understand it from a programming standpoint, you’re never going to realize how some even benign suggestions would be much harder to implement than would suggest. There’s a huge gap between describing how something should work, and actually making something that functions that way.

Oow I am very aware that what many people including me suggest is a lot of work. I am also aware we don’t know what is already in place. Was GW2 not build with that in mind as you say? If I remember correctly guild-halls where planned to be there at release but never made it (not 100% sure). Maybe because it was so much work but they have been working on it on the background?

I don’t say model it after another MMO nor does anybody else, I say make it be able to compete with another MMO’s guild halls. This is a fairly new MMO it should be able to compete with those. “We can not do that” is a really bad excuse for a new MMO.

But lets for a moment do what you say. Stay within the boundaries we know they can because it’s already in the game.

Then guild-halls would look a little like this.

In your guild upgrades there will be a new options.. Guild Hall. You build it using influence to unlock a guild-hall. What you then have is basically a guild instance just just as your home instance but that gives access only to your guild.

After that you can also unlock some additional features in the upgrades. A few vendors and so on. And lastly if we are really lucky then maybe we can also unlock some statues or trophies that get places in that guild-hall (guild instance) just as we now have with some nodes.

Thats basically all you can get if we stay within the boundaries of what the game has at this moment.

And let me tell you, if it would be implemented like that it would be a huge failure. Forums would go red and people keep asking for proper implementations of guild-halls for a long time to come.

So please let not stay in those boundaries. Let hope Anet was smart enough to know that they would need to allow for customization and have been building on that already. And the way to then make guild towns would be a modification of there maps / overflow system.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

timmyf.1490

That’s what the proposal overviews are for – if it doesn’t sound good to you, skip to the next post after that.

- Writers: make sure your overview is a good (hopefully attractive too) introduction.

Look, that’s why I’m still here. I read “guild cities!” and skip to the next one. Saves me enough time that I can keep up without needing 3-4 hours a day. But how many dozens of other people see 10 pages of thousand-word essays and just quit?

These proposals are the kind that make sense for an MMO 2-3 years from release with a full development team working on them. Not as an add-on for a mature game.

That’s not to say they aren’t cool ideas, though!

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure (at least from what’s garnered on the forums) that the player-base would want to wait a year or two for some of the more grandiose suggestions to be implemented. Some players comment that their patience is just about at an end, already. Thus, something more realistically implemented with, perhaps, room for expansion/additions might be better received and more practical.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

I’m not sure (at least from what’s garnered on the forums) that the player-base would want to wait a year or two for some of the more grandiose suggestions to be implemented. Some players comment that their patience is just about at an end, already. Thus, something more realistically implemented with, perhaps, room for expansion/additions might be better received and more practical.

Well if people suggest much more then just some easy to implement version I guess that is what they want and just as that some people have their patience being running out, other or the same people expect something more. In fact would you not want the patience being rewarded?

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

Look, that’s why I’m still here. I read “guild cities!” and skip to the next one. Saves me enough time that I can keep up without needing 3-4 hours a day. But how many dozens of other people see 10 pages of thousand-word essays and just quit?

These proposals are the kind that make sense for an MMO 2-3 years from release with a full development team working on them. Not as an add-on for a mature game.

That’s not to say they aren’t cool ideas, though!

“These proposals are the kind that make sense for an MMO 2-3 years from release with a full development team working on them. Not as an add-on for a mature game.”

Well a team is never working on one thing and about it being something for a 2 – 3 years plan.. Well these things have been suggested here on the forums for over 2 years. So that is not really an argument. One would hope and should expect that Anet did pay attention also back then not only at a CDI and so by now they have had time to make much of the elements needed for this. And now that they hopefully already have much of those building blocks a more detailed idea’s can be given here in the CDI for the eventual implementation or changes to what they already have in the background.

People should tell here what they want and expect. Not what they think Anet might be able to create within a few months.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: FerrisDJ.7624

FerrisDJ.7624

Proposal Overview

The guild halls will be released after some tasks .
The permanent upgrades can be built in the guild hall / island / castle .
Traders , trading post , crafts / work benches and cooking stations, guild bank, personal bank, can be built
In order to maintain the guild hall , the members must do active tasks .
like Guild missions ,spend wood , ores and cloth , do events ( a kind of guilds monthly archivment)
In The Guildhall, will be Asura portals, to the other auraportals to the guilhalls around tyria

Goal of Proposal
this will give the Guild a home, and give them a reason to be a member of that guild.
The guildmembers can meet at the guildhalls to plan their day, or prepaire for any guildmissions

Proposal Functionality

Living Story: The Fellowship will send us a few tasks. If we finished them we will get an invitation.
In this we have access to the guild halls .
There are places where we get to gain access. The locations should preferably should not be in the capital cities. They should
be in other beautiful places around Tyria .
Some examples :
Gendarren fields: Vigil Keep, Ascalon Settlement,
Fields of ruins: Stronghold of ebenhawk
Snowdon Drifts: podaga steading ( wypoint at skradden slops )
Queensdale: township of claypool
Mertica province: soran draa
caledon forest: marbon market
Kessex hills: Fort Salma, wizards fief
Brisban wildlands: Mrot boru ( waypoint at Venlin vale )

It should be picked just the places that are not very much populated in the rule .
This also has a meaning. Due to the above mentioned asura portals our heroes can be very quickly ,
to other places , if there occurs a world siege . See Lions arch , or with Scarlett’s invasion, the invasion Karka , and now the dragon
To use the portals, the hero / members of the guild ,must conquer / build them together with the fellowsship.
So in the end do a small task . I imagine it would be a good idea that the task with the tendrils back parts where you have to travel to various places
to find certain objects and where else to go to convert it. Would be a nice task.

Use existing options:
We have crafts . A master of the craft is always comfortable when he can always get to do his passion
Say it should be possible to build crafting stations in the guild hall .
The same is true for traders , the trading post , the guild bank and personal bank , should be built .
Why even the NPC and so on in the guild hall ?
The guild halls should be a central place of the guild. Where one is among them . Accordingly, these elementary components should not
be missing Finally, it is not supposed to be a void and useless hall .

The use of craft , or of the other extensions in the guild hall must cost a pain. So the guild hall is not the center , and the main cities
still stays importance.

To be continued

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: FerrisDJ.7624

FerrisDJ.7624

To be continued

Revaluations and decorations :

The revaluations which have been explored in the Guild should be buildable elements .
Say , you have , for example, the guild travel approval, should be like a logo of the guild travel hanging on the wall as a picture

It should be possible in future to be able to build with the professions items for the guild hall to decorate the hall .
like: benches , cabinets, frames , beds , desks , lamps and so on produce .
Et al would be a new profession is a possible solution but not requirement, lamps and pictures could be produced by the jeweler ,
Benches and cabinets ( furniture ) by weapons – Armorsmith and woodsman , thinking , carpets etc. from cutter and leatherman and so on .

Guilds resource nodes :
It would be nice if the nodes for wood , ore and plants, for the personal home, could be in the guild hall too.
However : If you collect in the guild hall , it ends up in a guild collection . These items can then be used for the construction of additional upgrades .

Accommodation and Housing :
The guild halls should be extensible .
You will get the opportunity to expand the rooms / houses / island (as ever)
There it should be possible then to have a shared accommodation , a meeting room , a kitchen , a warehouse , a hobby room and so on

Associated Risks

Problem 1 : Smaller guilds with very few members could get single-sided or hard specifications for the construction of a guild hall / or buy a guild hall
it may be possible the will not reach the goal .

Risk 1: The guild halls could if , for example, Trades in the guild hall inserts , or the bank , become the central place of action. ( To counteract this ,
you could create a time limit in which the trades can do in the hall, or you need to pay an amount to use the guild to it ,
e.g. 1 gold per use , You could for any other NPC , or craft station ask for a weekly prize , or you will have to pay amount of ingredients while exploring
new things like the trading post. They than would be available only for a short time ( here the production can something cost very much ( CAVE ; Problem 1 )

Risk 2 : Cost – benefit ralation could bring down the fun . will all the innovations introduced be used?

Problem 2 : more recipes and options for the crafting professions could lead to one or other troublemakers and a dissatisfaction . It would be a conceivable
to create a new profession to evolve over time

I hope my ideas where funny and interessting to read. Maybe you can use some of them.

Greating from germany. and the server kodash, from the guild Dark Flower (df), one of the small guilds with less aktiv members :-)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

timmyf.1490

“These proposals are the kind that make sense for an MMO 2-3 years from release with a full development team working on them. Not as an add-on for a mature game.”

Well a team is never working on one thing and about it being something for a 2 – 3 years plan.. Well these things have been suggested here on the forums for over 2 years. So that is not really an argument. One would hope and should expect that Anet did pay attention also back then not only at a CDI and so by now they have had time to make much of the elements needed for this. And now that they hopefully already have much of those building blocks a more detailed idea’s can be given here in the CDI for the eventual implementation or changes to what they already have in the background.

People should tell here what they want and expect. Not what they think Anet might be able to create within a few months.

You sure “hope” a lot. Hope is nice, but unless they’ve built a significant codebase for this already – and we’ve seen ABSOLUTELY no indication they have – we’re talking about features here that would take 2, 3, 4 years to develop.

I don’t think that’s the scope ArenaNet intends. But I could be wrong. All the same, you’re welcome to your ideas, and you’re welcome to share them, but if you’re expecting super-customizable halls + player housing, prepare to be disappointed.

The thing you described previously, Devata, the thing you think will disappoint everybody? That’s what I expect we’ll get, more or less.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

The way I’m looking at it, this CDI is for brainstorming. It may transpire that some of the ideas are too grandiose or infeasible but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be discussed. Even if an idea is too much to implement, it may spark creativity on a smaller scale or inspire a spin-off concept that turns out to be wonderful.

Generally the devs running the thread come back after the initial brainstorms have died down and ask for more focused discussion on certain points. We’re not far enough in yet for that phase, imo.

Absolutely correct Donari.

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know I am up to date and that is one of the best CDIs to date in terms of superb proposals, brainstorming and problem solving.

Chris

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, I’m thinking about the alternate way of obtaining a precursor, and all the time the Devs are taking to get it right, and have it be amazing! The forums are not pleased about the time taken to make sure it is just right and amazing. After a CDI to ‘suggest’ that Guild Halls will be coming some time in the future, I imagine the player-base just won’t want to wait too long for whatever gets implemented to be implemented.

I would prefer something simpler and sooner, than more complex and wait a few years. But, that’s just me….for you, Devata, it’s just the opposite, and that’s fine.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

You sure “hope” a lot. Hope is nice, but unless they’ve built a significant codebase for this already – and we’ve seen ABSOLUTELY no indication they have – we’re talking about features here that would take 2, 3, 4 years to develop.

I don’t think that’s the scope ArenaNet intends. But I could be wrong. All the same, you’re welcome to your ideas, and you’re welcome to share them, but if you’re expecting super-customizable halls + player housing, prepare to be disappointed.

The thing you described previously, Devata, the thing you think will disappoint everybody? That’s what I expect we’ll get, more or less.

I know that is what you (and people saying we should keep it in that scope) expect. And it might be true but would not be good imho.

As Chris just confirmed we are free to suggest as we want without boundaries. I do hope people are creative and don’t hold back because they think Anet can not do something (within a given time) but just as I think those things should be suggested you may suggest smaller things.

Lets just stop telling people to not suggest things because they think they can not be done

I also said enough about this now. So will leave it with that.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m going to hold my second bits and pieces for a little later, reading all these got me thinking my proposal wasn’t too far off. I also think maybe games like Terraria somewhat spoiled me on the idea of “making the space owned by the people who use it”. But . . .

I have another suggestion I’m working on which is entirely unrelated to this topic anyway.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.