CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Huddo.1065

Huddo.1065

(READ MY FULL ORIGINAL POST HERE)

Part 1/4

Firstly here’s an additional approach regarding ‘physically progressing’ your Guild Hall:

• Previous Approaches 1 & 2: expanding your GH was by upgrading either the size of your block of land, OR upgrading how many ‘room blocks’ you can have. Pros: enables complete freedom of how you design and build your GH. Cons: harder to implement?
  • new Approach 3 using GH themes: you can upgrade your GH along themes, each upgrade stage makes your GH physically grow larger.
    • GH themes (not to be confused with ‘location themes’, although I could see them potentially being combined). Theme examples: Mansion GH, Castle GH, Airship GH, racial GH’s –Floating Asura Cube GH, Sylvari Tree GH, Norn Great Lodge GH, Charr Iron Keep GH, (Human would be Mansion?), hello expansions: Canthan Palace GH, Elonian Kodash Bazaar GH.
      • Mansion: small house—>medium house—>small mansion—>large mansion (even bigger than Caudecus’s Manor?)
      • Castle: (I’m thinking WvW types of buildings here). Camp—>tower—>keep—>castle.
      • Airships: (could/should be in the sky, like how PVP map Temple of the Silent Storm is). Small airship—>large airship—>multiple airships (up in the air that you can jump to and from)—>to something as big as Wintersday’s “The Toymakers Airship”? (But where would you put a garden?) (Thought: still have ground area but have the airships moored to a wharf?)
    • When you first get a GH in a new theme, your GH is stage 1 of that theme. E.g. for ‘castle’ theme your stage 1 GH is a supply camp. (And just to clarify the themes – it is a theme. Regarding ‘castle’ theme, the supply camp and towers would need to be redesigned a tiny bit to actually have a building with at least one room. Towers would need rooves, keeps too.)
    • Option to change themes (for an influence cost)? Progress on each theme is persistent? E.g. if you got to ‘tower’ stage on your way to ‘castle’ and change theme to ‘airship’, and after a while in airship you go back to ‘castle theme’ you pick up from ‘tower’ stage (i.e. you’re not forced to go back to ‘camp’).
    • Pros: progression, theme variety, easier to implement since ‘set upgrade stages’. Cons: lacks the freedom of how you design or build your GH.

continued…

(edited by Huddo.1065)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Huddo.1065

Part 2/4

Let me break down the concepts/systems of my proposal in terms of implementation:

• (minor) Updated Guild window to allow unlocking GH’s in Architecture (or move some guild hall related upgrades into a separate ‘guild hall’ category –this is where Approaches 1, 2, 3 upgrades would be upgraded)
  • (minor) Real Estate Agent NPC to allow selection of your GH location, and if using Approach 3: selection of ‘GH Theme’. (Gives you your instance after GH’s have been unlocked by your guild).
  • (minor) Travel Button to GH (in guild window)
  • (minor) Guild Rank Permissions
  • (minor) Update Guild Bank to have a materials collection tab (so materials don’t take up bank slots like they currently do. 1000 limit? More than 250 please), and a ‘guild materials’ collection tab (see later)
  • (major) Item Shop. Interface accessed by talking to NPC storefront in LA? The interface could be ‘Gem Store’ style: having tabs for different kinds of items, and/or tabs for different rooms/purposes.
    • E.g. sorting by chairs: all possible chairs are shown in a list with a picture and description. Chairs your guild hasn’t unlocked have a “Buy Blueprint – X influence” on it, while ones you have unlocked are greyed out and say “Already Unlocked”.
    • E.g. sorting by garden: all garden related items are shown with “Buy” option or “Already Unlocked” message.
    • Clicking “Buy” only buys the item blueprint and it’s placed in the ‘Guild Workbench’ (next concept). ‘Unlocked items are greyed out’ if: that item’s blueprint is already in the Guild Workbench OR (step 2) the item has actually been crafted and added to your guilds ‘Item Catalogue’ (see later).
    • The Item Shop has huge potential: so many categories, items, room themes etc. I’d hope that new item content is regularly released. I hate to say it, but some really special item blueprints could be purchased in the Gem Store instead (mentioned briefly in my original post. E.g. ‘Riding Broom Cupboard’ that lets users pull out Riding Brooms and race around the GH).
  • (minor) Item Catalogue: ‘GH item wardrobe’. After an item has been created from blueprints and materials at the Guild Workbench (next dot point) it’s permanently unlocked in this ‘item catalogue’ similar to unlocking skins in the existing wardrobe system. It’s accessed (an interface?) in the Workbench or while in Edit Mode (next dot points).

continued…

(edited by Huddo.1065)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Huddo.1065

Part 3/4

• Physical Guild Workbench seen in your GH at all times. Using it brings up Workbench interface with different tabs:
    • (major) Build and Unlock Items: essentially crafting station functionality with different tabs to view purchased blueprints and the guild bank (/view recipes and bank). An item blueprint can be selected and (if there are enough of the right materials) placed in a build queue. Items have different build times. E.g. a table would take longer to build than a chair, and an ‘awesome chair’ would take longer to build than a ‘lame chair’. Some really awesome and big items could take up to a week?
      • EDIT: (minor) Items themselves need to be implemented. The sheer number of item possibilities makes items collectively seem like a major implementation, but individually they’re minor things that can be added one by one. Most items should be easy models, while some items with functionality may be more difficult to implement (e.g. a butler that follows a custom path you choose, and says phrases you prepare –seen in my original post).
    • (major) Build Mode:
      • For Approaches 1&2: a 2D grid tool (think aerial Sims customization) is used to create your GH structure by drawing walls OR adding/expanding ‘room blocks’. (Put the multi-storey customization in this tool?) Maybe have a ‘preview’ and ‘finalize’ option to allow playing around with build mode. Let the guild leader (and selected ranks) be able to ‘finalize’ a building design. But it would be cool if everyone could have a play around with drawing up designs, so maybe add a feature that allows users to submit their design for all guild members to see (and vote on?), the guild leader (and/or selected ranks) could then ‘finalize’ this new design. (Items in rooms that have been edited out or removed end up/stay in the item catalogue). Have a reset button (with multiple ‘are you sure?’s’) to reset your GH to scratch?
      • For Approach 3 Build Mode is redundant.
    • (major) Edit Mode: to place/move/remove items you have unlocked in your ‘item catalogue’. Common items like chairs can be place multiple times, but high end/rare items can only be placed once (e.g. mounted Tequatl head). Have
      • Either use that 2D grid tool (less freedom) to place items by having the item catalogue next to the 2D grid
      • OR make a third person system like Orcs Must Die which allows the placing of items on floor/walls/rooves, and allows items to be rotated. Or you could just use the aoe ground-targeting that weapon skills use, but it would be good to see exactly size/shape of the items you’re placing, and have the ability to rotate items. While you’re in edit mode running around your GH, you can easily access the item catalogue to choose items to place. A reset button (with multiple ‘are you sure?’s’) to empty your GH of items (they are still in your ‘item catalogue’)?
  • (major) Guild Materials: original post about them under ‘Guild Materials’ within the spoiler. What needs to be implemented: how they are awarded, and then deposited in the ‘guild materials collection tab’ in the guild bank. Once your guild unlocks an item that had ‘guild materials’ as a requirement, your guild members are no longer awarded those ‘guild materials’. (E.g. once the mounted Tequatl head has been made at the workbench and added to your item catalogue, no more ‘Tequatl Scales’ drops are awarded. Your ‘guild materials collection tab’ could then remove the ‘Tequatl Scales’ slot.)
  • (major) Activities/Games (and potentially GvGs). A roster system to play with/against individuals, teams, or guilds?
  • (major) Opening Your Guild Hall to the Public: like I mentioned before

continued…

(edited by Huddo.1065)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Huddo.1065

Part 4/4

@Baltzenger (in reply to this post).

Haha, why does everyone want ‘infographics’ or ‘powerpoints’ to go with all my big posts lol (this is only 2nd time I’ve done a huge post, my first was on my own server’s forum).

Thanks for your compliments. I know, everyone wants things now, but I think you agreed that a ‘really solid implementation later’, is better than a ‘rushed implementation sooner’. I really should be diving into my assignments, buuut I’ll have a crack at your request.

After writing a couple of long sections with the initial intention of answering your request, I don’t think I can really give an order of implementations due to there being a choice of three main approaches for physically expanding your GH.

Instead, I’ll discuss implementation priorities with respect to the concepts/systems mentioned above:

Again, I’d personally prefer everything to be under ‘initially’ so GH’s are introduced in their entirety in one big update. But what I’m listing here is trying to draw out implementation as much as I can as an example. (Gradually introduce different levels of customizability).

1. Initially:

• An updated guild window (first step in acquiring GH), travel button
  • At least location selection (and GH Theme selection if Approach 3)
  • (A limited GH is available, no customization)

2. Introduce customization:

• Item shop (some items)
  • Workbench: building items, edit mode (substantial tools to place items)
  • Item catalogue (/item wardrobe)

3. Eventually add:

• More items/rooms to item shop
  • Workbench: build mode (for Approaches 1&2)
  • For Approach 3: GH Theme system to allow upgrading from your ‘very basic GH’

4. Some of the last things you could implement:

• Multi-storey GH’s
  • High-end items
  • Guild Materials system (plus bank collection tab for them)
  • Large scale ‘opening GH to the public’ system
  • Activity/game roster system (for GvG’s too)

(edited by Huddo.1065)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: JerryMain.4371

JerryMain.4371

Along the lines of “make it physical”, I would LOVE to see a physical representation for when a guild is busy “building” a guild element, whether a literal house portion or working their way to a Guild Bank. Workers milling about, scaffolding, each in the right “area” of the guild housing to show what’s being worked on, without having to dive into a menu.

How about making it so that part if it needs to be done by guild-members? So you see guild-members running around building things?

Make it like some event in the guild halls, with a progress bar.
And like the hearts make have multiple ways to complete it:
– Bring resources
– Defend workers form x
– etc.

The Only One [One] – Piken Square

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Just a couple of thoughts I’ve had while catching up on the discussion:

What are the advantages of an Open World GH over an instanced one? How would one really, fairly, place every single guild in GW2 into the open world (within their respective regions of course)

Within guilds, how large can the population limit go? Could a guild fit all 500 of their members in at once? How large would these maps need to be? If 500 is beyond population limits, how might you fit the guild maximum at once? Overflow instances that might split the guild? Or maybe we change the guild max limit to a population limit? That might anger some guilds that now need to reorganize?

On that note, what advantage is there to having personal spaces inside a guild hall? If you’re going to have mannequins or housing, how do you split that among 500 possible people at once? Why not use the Home instances already made to house personal things?

There’s talk of Alliances. How might those fit into these schemes of things? The only idea I can recall is the idea of Neighborhoods. Is there anything else that could provide for some intra-Alliance mingling? Maybe an NPC or portal to each Allied GH would suffice?

What benefit does an upkeep tax provide? Is it an influence sink? Does it act as a progression gate? Does it merely provide a way to save server resources for active guilds? Is there any way to solve these problems without a tax?

Most of the time, when I see an Airship proposal, its nothing really more than an aesthetic choice. Is there any reason we need Guild Airships over a more solid Hall? If there is something special about an Airship, could there not be both ships and halls each with their own special difference? Would we want mechanical differences?

Do Guild Halls need dungeons or Guild Challenges inside? Would choosing one GH lock you out of access to all the other challenges? How might you access all of the new content?

Do Guild Halls need PvP/GvG spaces? How would those really work? Could a GvG be held in current maps? Or would they need to make brand new maps? What about Custom Arenas? Could those just be separated into Personal Custom Arena and Guild Custom Arena?

There’s some more things I’ve no doubt forgotten, but I think we need to starting considering the logistics of all these ideas. I know its still the brainstorming portion, but logistics should always be a design factor.

Proposal writing note: If your associated risks are “none” you haven’t really thought through your idea and its impact. I would rather not have it posted until a sufficient drawback can be determined. No idea is perfectly without risk.

Fishsticks

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Personally I’d rather see housing than Guild Halls. Guild Halls is exclusive for players in guilds, housing would be for everyone. This could then be expanded to Guild Halls where players live in neighbourhoods of other guild members, having a specific number of players and their homes located in an instance. Huge guilds will have more than one neighbourhood and players could visit homes of other players.

see: LotRO http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Housing

I find some ideas here quite odd, some guys seem to forget that there are guilds as large as hundrets of players, not 5-10.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Alcarin.9024

Alcarin.9024

I don’t think we really need a GH editor like The Sims. We already have a system that allow to exactly place (also choosing rotation) and build items in a map, it’s the WvW siege weapon system. Does we really need to have a The Sims piece inside GW2? A lot of people could like the idea, but hey, this is GW2, not The Sims. Using WvW siege weapon system it will really fit in a RPG game, an ad hoc editor will feel like “Hey, I’m playing an RPG or a Simulation game?”.

I don’t think tha 500 people inside a map could be a problem, WvW maps already manage such number of players also in very excited situations. Also I think that it will be very difficult to gather all 500 player at the same time, too much people to not have a lot that miss the meeting. So I think that we can survive in such rare events that all 500 guild members are in the same map and lag a little.

About alliance neighbourhoods, how to manage a neighbourhoods with four guild of 500 members each? I think that it will be very difficult to have a map with 2000 players at the same time…

Random thoughts:

-Golems should help you building heavier objects. Why moving yourself heavy objects, when a golem could do it for you?

-I told in a suggestion in this CDI that there could be PvE siege assault/defence events that could be located in GvG maps (I really think that GvG maps should be separated from GH), now I’m thinking that it could be better that those event will happen in the GH instead of GvG map. Of course they should be activated (like guild missions), but it will be awesome to defend your GH from an horde of mob. Maybe those mob may destroy some object of your GH, wasting the time and resource spent to build them. The reward of the event should be enough to let you risk, and you should be very carefull to protect more valuable items in your GH. A sort of GH raid where you have to defend your GH, or maybe reconquest it if you fail the previous event! As I mentioned in the suggestion there could be a ladder of guild. It could be a GvG alternative for PvErs…
Imagine an horde of centaurs running in your base and destroying your furniture… wow

(edited by Alcarin.9024)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Personally I’d rather see housing than Guild Halls. Guild Halls is exclusive for players in guilds, housing would be for everyone. This could then be expanded to Guild Halls where players live in neighbourhoods of other guild members, having a specific number of players and their homes located in an instance. Huge guilds will have more than one neighbourhood and players could visit homes of other players.

I find some ideas here quite odd, some guys seem to forget that there are guilds as large as hundrets of players, not 5-10.

The only issue with this is that it would take up a LOT more resources to have one house per user than it would to have one hall per guild.

I mean, if you REALLY desperately wanted a house to your own, when Guild Houses are implemented, you can just make one for a “personal guild”. Plenty of people already have personal guilds (I have two myself), so it’s not really much of a stretch to create a “personal guild hall” from there.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

This is why my very first suggestion included making the system something that provides both. A personal house can be seen as a very small and limited guild hall, allowing the one system to pull double duty. I’d also feel some misgivings about having items in the gem store for a guild hall*, but I’d be fine with it for player housing.

(* If you were to buy something with gems for a GH, what happens to it when you leave? When you’re kicked? Will there be people paying for someone to buy things for them, creating an odd secondary Gold/Gems exchange?)

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Baltzenger.2467

Baltzenger.2467

Part 4/4

Haha, why does everyone want ‘infographics’ or ‘powerpoints’ to go with all my big posts lol (this is only 2nd time I’ve done a huge post, my first was on my own server’s forum).

Thanks for your compliments. I know, everyone wants things now, but I think you agreed that a ‘really solid implementation later’, is better than a ‘rushed implementation sooner’. I really should be diving into my assignments, buuut I’ll have a crack at your request.

After writing a couple of long sections with the initial intention of answering your request, I don’t think I can really give an order of implementations due to there being a choice of three main approaches for physically expanding your GH.

Instead, I’ll discuss implementation priorities with respect to the concepts/systems mentioned above:

Again, I’d personally prefer everything to be under ‘initially’ so GH’s are introduced in their entirety in one big update. But what I’m listing here is trying to draw out implementation as much as I can as an example. (Gradually introduce different levels of customizability).

1. Initially:

• Item shop (some items)
  • Workbench: building items, edit mode (substantial editing tools)

3. Eventually add:

• For Approach 3: GH Theme system to allow upgrading from you ‘very basic GH’

• Multi-storey GH’s
  • High-end items
  • Activity/game roster system

Thank you very much, this is what I was looking for.
I think with this kind of setup, we could have GH sooner, without sacrificing the level of depth we want from the system too!

To this point I think I’ll wait for the weekend and see what Chris can tell us about his ideas and the direction we can take from here.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Marcus Greythorne.6843

The only issue with this is that it would take up a LOT more resources to have one house per user than it would to have one hall per guild.

I mean, if you REALLY desperately wanted a house to your own, when Guild Houses are implemented, you can just make one for a “personal guild”. Plenty of people already have personal guilds (I have two myself), so it’s not really much of a stretch to create a “personal guild hall” from there.

Looking at the guild missions as they are now I doubt that there will be interesting features for very small guilds, especially not as the discussion was about guild alliances as well.

People here are talking about hundrets of players in a Guild Hall which just doesn’t makes sense for me at all. LotRO had instanced neighbourhoods with 30 (I think) houses each, so it’s not like they have to create a map which has enough room for 200+ houses, just more instances.

Well I’m open to everything that’s fun for me (a mostly solo player), so I would like to see a way which enables us solos to do new content as well. Raids, for example, only available to guilds would be a horror szenario for me personally. I’m looking for new challenges, but playing on a specific schedule is the reason why I left WoW years ago. I’m not a casual, I’m just one of the guys who has a family and a lot of work waiting for me.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Imho the Hall of Monuments was the perfect solution. A place where I see my personal progression and can show it to others while I’m free to do the content to achieving these goals a.) by myself b.) with some friends c.) with my guild.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

That is a little bit silly. LOT’S of games have player housing. And rarely are Guild Houses implemented in a way that it would be easily available to a single player. You can already see people on here talking about “upkeep costs” and “prestige”. That does not bode well for individual players.

And of course you have the GW1 players who mistakenly think the point of Guild Halls are to be a fancy PvP map. While that is certainly true from their perspective, the opportunity lost if that is all that is considered would be staggering.

I know this thread isn’t about player housing. But it’s not fair to dismiss a feature of that nature that would add so much to this game for so many people in such an offhanded manner.

Frankly, player housing would do more for this game’s player retention than guild halls ever could. If it can only be one or the other, I think it would be very foolish for ANet to go with guild halls. Player housing makes nearly all players more invested in the game where guild halls only invest players that are in a strong guild. And even then it’s really only the guild officers that will get to customize it.

(edited by DragonWhimsy.6489)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

People here are talking about hundrets of players in a Guild Hall which just doesn’t makes sense for me at all.

They are likely basing this off the Guildwars 1 guildhalls which were massive, several were private islands, you could easily fit 100 people in them. To give you an idea the Isle guild halls were roughly the size of the entire claw island instance if not slightly larger. Which is what I’m hoping for again in GW2 with more customization.

On player housing, there is no reason every person couldn’t have their own instanced house plenty of games have shown it can be done, I believe Wow is taking it even further and each player gets some 12 plot base/town instance..

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

That is a little bit silly. LOT’S of games have player housing.

Yes, and these games are ones that are, generally, built from the ground up to support player housing. GW2’s systems were (as far as we are aware) never intended to accommodate something as expansive as housing for every player in the game. Realistically, the servers don’t have the capacity for it as well as everything else already going on in the game. Hence why they’ve already implemented instance closing for maps where very few players are active. If they didn’t require those resources to turn over fairly quickly, they wouldn’t really need to implement such a feature.

People here are talking about hundrets of players in a Guild Hall which just doesn’t makes sense for me at all.

Well, whether it makes sense to you or not, there are guilds that have hundreds of members, and there are guilds that only have a handful. Any guild hall system implemented HAS to be able to support both ends of the spectrum, or it will be a failure. That’s just how it is.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

(edited by ShadowDragoonFTW.3418)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Guild halls and player housing don’t have to be either/or. A lot of the tech and assets that would potentially get developed for guild halls could probably be ported over into housing.

Building one could make the other a lot more possible, so let’s try to stay focused and make this current step happen. OK? Alright.

I should be writing.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Building one could make the other a lot more possible, so let’s try to stay focused and make this current step happen. OK? Alright.

Yes, exactly. Let’s focus on what we’re here to talk about — Guild Halls — and get that fleshed out before we start trying to expand the feature to cover personal player housings as well.

I’m not saying not to talk about Player Housing. People want it, I understand. That’s fine. I’m just saying, realistically, it will be much simpler to stick with Guild Halls first and foremost, and then progress after that much is done.

We are far more likely to get Guild Halls first and Player Housing second, than we would the other way around.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

And even then it’s really only the guild officers that will get to customize it.

I wanted to jump on this one sentence (though the whole post has excellent points). YES. This is a problem I noted in my early post containing the highlights of my interests and concerns. If only the guild leader can fiddle with the GH, and worse if only the guild leader can even see the options (as with guild symbol design), then a whole lot of players will lose out on the fun of design.

Understandably there needs to be some control, so not just any fresh recruit can trash the place or steal the furniture. But every single player needs to at least be able to play with the design. Perhaps the guild can set permissions as to how permanently they can do so? So only those with permissions can actually rearrange it, but anyone in the guild can use the interface and see possible alterations. Maybe even take a “snapshot” to submit to the GM so better ideas can be used without leaving all the creativity only to the GM.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Why not use gathered materials (wood/metal/leather/cloth) as components in guild hall construction?

Ooh, this has me imagining: What if we actually built the guild hall ourselves?

Guild leaders can “commission” units of the construction from an architecture interface. Then everyone can use their normal crafting professions to make all the beams, walls, doors, rugs, chandeliers, training dummies, etc., that are needed for construction.

When guildies have provided all the materials needed for major constructions, you can have a “barn-raising” style event where everyone shows up to the build site and whacks at it with a hammer for a couple minutes until everything poofs into place.

Well that would be an option just not sure if we should use the current crafts for that. (do not seem to fit) and need to be carefull to not create to much of a boring mats grind. But yes build you guils-halls and do that with ‘blocks’ (as I name them.. but basically models of walls and doors and so on.) those blocks you can unlock and are blue-prints then just as siege (but with unlimited uses) in WvW you can put it somewhere and build it, and then that way block for block you build your guild-hall.

That is how I would see it.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

That is a little bit silly. LOT’S of games have player housing.

Yes, and these games are ones that are, generally, built from the ground up to support player housing. GW2’s systems were (as far as we are aware) never intended to accommodate something as expansive as housing for every player in the game. Realistically, the servers don’t have the capacity for it as well as everything else already going on in the game. Hence why they’ve already implemented instance closing for maps where very few players are active. If they didn’t require those resources to turn over fairly quickly, they wouldn’t really need to implement such a feature.

This is part of the reason why my suggestions are focused on player houses (and guild halls) that feature a limited selection of pre-made buildings, with limited places to put objects. Even if you can change the orientation of the items, and adjust the lighting, that’s still a fairly small amount of data to save for a personal house.

Creating the instance for the house shouldn’t (::crosses fingers::) take any more server resources than spawning a story instance with NPCs and enemies in it. We know the game can take that level of strain, as that’s something it was made to do all the time.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Creating the instance for the house shouldn’t (::crosses fingers::) take any more server resources than spawning a story instance with NPCs and enemies in it. We know the game can take that level of strain, as that’s something it was made to do all the time.

Actually, that is a very fair point. I hadn’t really considered it from that angle. I would think a player house would definitely take up more resources than a story instance, but probably not terribly much more. Hmm…

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Trent.5201

Trent.5201

So I meant to be one of the first ones to post so I wouldn’t have to worry about duplicates, but ended up having some family problems as well and I ended up completely forgetting about this. Sorry if there are any duplicate suggestions, don’t really got time to read all 9 pages atm :/.

Proposal
Make an area in the guild hall that displays trophies achieved by a new set of achievements for a guild. such as X man guild missions completed, X amount of money donated to a cause such as the reconstruction of LA, Influence earned, running dungeons/world bosses, and capturing WvW objectives. These achievements can also be used to unlock trims for guild capes which will also allow guilds to show off their achievements in the world.
Goal of Proposal
To give guilds a sense of accomplishment for completing objectives as a guild and to give history to the guild showing what events they have lived through in the living world events.
Associated Risk
Might favor bigger guilds over smaller guilds.

Proposal
Add an NPC that allows us to design our guild capes. Same system as in gw1 with just more options to choose from. Also let members post their cape designs which, when posted will get their name put on a list. This list will have a search for name option and when the player clicks on their name they will see the cape that player designed.
Goal of Proposal
Allow players another way to show off their emblem and achievements if achievements unlock certain cosmetics.
Associated Risks
Might be some clipping issues

Proposal
Please o please make this an unlock-able for the guild hall. It was said that SAB won’t be brought back any time soon since it doesn’t go with the living story, but if placed in the guild hall IT DOESN’T HAVE TO. This creates something the guild can do on their off times and I feel fits perfectly with what a guild halls should achieve which is to bring members together to do something fun.
Goal of Proposal
To stop us from annoying Anet asking when they will bring this back.
Associated Risk
Stubborn Anet don’t want to admit this fits perfectly.

Proposal
Make a single portal which can be changed to lead to different places for a small fee. Most useful for WvW to organize raids and guild missions.
Goal of Proposal
To allow guilds to group up before guild missions or raids and then have easy access to the place they need to go.
Associated Risks
Won’t be able to see which guilds are going to the other bl’s on reset. This can be changed with a tab that guilds can sign up showing which bl they will be on reset.

Proposal
Add an NPC in the guild hall that lets guild members exchange items for cash with a % of the cash going to the guild. In order for players to not abuse this system by giving back the money, make the cash locked to only be spent towards certain guild related events such as lottery, stuff usually bought by influence/merits, the portal system, etc.
Goal of Proposal
Allows members to trade things without going through someone both players trust and still creates a gold sink.
Associated Risks
None since the above method will still create a gold sink

Proposal
training dummies, crafting stations, consumable vendors (can contain anything such as rockets, box o fun, dancing floor (allow dance volume book skillz), Guild guesting (such as in gw1), and Guild Dueling (same separate instance such as in gw1)
Goal of Proposal
Guesting will allow people to visit each others guild halls if not already in the alliance and to duel the people in the guild
*Associated Risks

Will make areas that used to be used for dueling obsolete

*We saved up 2 million influence just to spend on guild halls!!!

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

I went and had a look at the sky’s of Tyria. And the whole space ships that you can also see in the real maps could work. All the sky map would have to do is show send information about the the guild-hall (minimal it’s position on the map and the model) to the linked ground map and the ground map would preferable send information about it’s weather to the linked sky-map. I don’t know if weather is map based or controlled by another object (what would be even better)

I did notice that day-time and night time is now server-wide. I am pretty sure that was not the case before!

Only small possible problems would be that the sky map would basically have to be the size of the complete explorable world map (because in map X I see the sky above map Y so I would have to see the airship at that spot as well else you get real strange stuff with ships only directly above you and so on. Then again, because the sky map would only have to visualize some clouds and the guild-halls that might be possible. I do not know what is limiting the size of the maps.. The models in it or the data from the many players. If that latest is the case then it might be a problem because you could only have a limited number of airships in a very big space.

Another problem would be how so seal off the edges. I would likely use some wind effect or something like that. (Please not just an invisible wall)

Anyway, while there might be some technical difficulties I think it might be doable. Then from the ground you can see high in the sky the many guild-halls (of the linked sky-map) and from the sky you can see the complete ground map (like how the world map would look with a person who has 100% exploration completion) including the correct weather clouds above them.

It would sure look cool and be pretty unique in an MMO plus it would compete with the other MMO’s out there.

And with the last trailer from the last LS it might even fit in the lore.. if that was supposed to be the sky’s above Tyria.

Oow and it would be able to solve the mega-server problem for the biggest part, while I still might not be able to see my own guild-hall in the sky because the map I am in it linked to another sky-map.. I would however do link it to maps not to players (what would solve this) so all players in that map see the same.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

A few of the earlier long-winded proposals wouldn’t be considered as they were either too complex for the average player to manage or just not related to guild halls.

Housing would be much better than any instanced or persistent hall. They fit well in GW1 because everything was instanced, but how many times have we visited our home district? A persistent housing district within the confines of the home cities or outlying towns could have major, positive impacts across the board.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

~

Just a question here. Would you be fine with it if those unlocks would not be unlocked with influence (or at least not all of them) but it would also be blue-prints you can earn in the world by doing stuff with your guild.

I talked about earning blue-prints in the world before and mentioned walls and stuff but it could also be things like you mention here.

For example there are 8 dungeons in the world and there are at this moment 8 logical locations for portals to go to.

The races 5 city’s, (6) LA, (7) Stronghold of Ebonhawke and (8) Southsun cove
Now while you might get a nice rng blue-print drop from a boss in a dungeon (when doing it with guild-members) and unlocking an even better drop for completion one dungeon path, completing all paths of a dungeon could unlock the blue-print of a portal to one of the city’s. (Then you can place as many of them in your guild-hall as you like).

Of course you would try to make the unlocks sort of logical. Arah unlocks blue-print for the portal to LA just because it’s the hardest. AC to BC, CM to DR, TA to The Grove, CoE to RS, SE to Hoelbrak, HotW to Cursed Shore and CoF to Stronghold of Ebonhawke.

All have to make some sense in a way.

Unlocking the SAB blue-print (maybe this would be a unique one that you can only place of of in your GH?.. Maybe not) you could likely do with completing SAB with guild-members.

You see I would prefer it this way because it’s most importantly fun more fun then just an unlock in your upgrades window, it gets rid of another currency grind (except maybe the supply to build it), it give guilds things to do and goals to directly! work towards and it’s doable for big and for smaller guilds.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

Along the lines of “make it physical”, I would LOVE to see a physical representation for when a guild is busy “building” a guild element, whether a literal house portion or working their way to a Guild Bank. Workers milling about, scaffolding, each in the right “area” of the guild housing to show what’s being worked on, without having to dive into a menu.

How about making it so that part if it needs to be done by guild-members? So you see guild-members running around building things?

Make it like some event in the guild halls, with a progress bar.
And like the hearts make have multiple ways to complete it:
– Bring resources
– Defend workers form x
– etc.

Thats basically like the WvW keep upgrade works (btw what to defend the workers against here?) I was more thinking in the way siege building works in WvW.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Rambodacious.7495

Rambodacious.7495

~

Just a question here. Would you be fine with it if those unlocks would not be unlocked with influence (or at least not all of them) but it would also be blue-prints you can earn in the world by doing stuff with your guild.

I talked about earning blue-prints in the world before and mentioned walls and stuff but it could also be things like you mention here.

For example there are 8 dungeons in the world and there are at this moment 8 logical locations for portals to go to.

Now while you might get a nice rng blue-print drop from a boss in a dungeon (when doing it with guild-members) and unlocking an even better drop for completion one dungeon path, completing all paths of a dungeon could unlock the blue-print of a portal to one of the city’s. (Then you can place as many of them in your guild-hall as you like).

Of course you would try to make the unlocks sort of logical. Arah unlocks blue-print for the portal to LA just because it’s the hardest. AC to BC, CM to DR, TA to The Grove, CoE to RS, SE to Hoelbrak, HotW to Cursed Shore and CoF to Stronghold of Ebonhawke.

Unlocking the SAB blue-print (maybe this would be a unique one that you can only place of of in your GH?.. Maybe not) you could likely do with completing SAB with guild-members.

You see I would prefer it this way because it’s most importantly fun more fun then just an unlock in your upgrades window, it gets rid of another currency grind (except maybe the supply to build it), it give guilds things to do and goals to directly! work towards and it’s doable for big and for smaller guilds.

The problem is you’re forcing guilds to run dungeons. The unlock in a guild window allows players the opportunity to play how they want to and still unlock guild hall content.

If Anet wants to implement specific content to unlock GH features, they’d need to do it across four platforms and also do it equally amongst them. WvW, Dungeons, Open World and lastly, SPvP.

They might be better suited devoting design time to making these game modes better rather than implementing drop rates and rewards to unlock GH features. It would seem to be more profitable – making the game more fun, rather than more grindy.

- Muke Muscleshell
- Potluck Massacre [PLUM]
- Sanctum of Rall

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

What are the advantages of an Open World GH over an instanced one? How would one really, fairly, place every single guild in GW2 into the open world (within their respective regions of course)

It feels more immersive, your guild-hall can now be more of a representation of your guild in the world, there go’s more pride into building and owning your guild-hall, people see each others guild-hall (from the outside) without needing be be invited in.

That would be why.

For the how questions multiple possible solutions have been given. Special guild-hall maps, sky-maps (if guild-halls would be floating airships), having a limited number of spots in the current world, have your guild-hall usually in an instance but every week or two weeks it might be in one of the open world map.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Rambodacious.7495

It feels more immersive, your guild-hall can now be more of a representation of your guild in the world, there go’s more pride into building and owning your guild-hall, people see each others guild-hall (from the outside) without needing be be invited in.

That would be why.

For the how questions multiple possible solutions have been given. Special guild-hall maps, sky-maps (if guild-halls would be floating airships), having a limited number of spots in the current world, have your guild-hall usually in an instance but every week or two weeks it might be in one of the open world map.

A massive undertaking for a little immersion isn’t a good trade-off. I’ll try and list all the problems with the idea:

1. Guilds currently playing have first dibs on this territory, so if it’s limited in space, future players are SOL.
  2. If you try and make GH’s disappear after a given time frame of non-use, then you reduce the likelihood of players returning after a break, also bad.
  3. The creation of a zone linked to each guild’s customized GH is a nightmare for coding and the zone would have to be so epicly big it would be simply be tedious to run around looking at guild halls.

Rather than look for ways to make GH’s immersive for all players visually, it’s far easier, development-wise, to focus on allowing the owners of the GH to customize within their own instance. Besides, I think we all realize there’s only so many development hours they have and we would all want more time spent on the actual GH rather than being able to see someone else’s GH in a zone.

- Muke Muscleshell
- Sanctum of Rall

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

Well you would unlock a basic guild-hall / room that is available for every guild (and would not be able to hold 500 people). After that you can build upon that making it bigger. In size while not optimal but Stone Mist would be able to hold 500 people I think (while it would be pretty full) and building something of that size or even much much bigger should not be a problem for most suggestions here. Even for airships (what could not be exacly as big as guild-halls in GW1 I guess) they could be big enough to easily fit a lot of people in.

The bigger problem is that so many people in one spot would be kitten the servers but that is a complete separate problem that has not so much to do with the suggestions I have seen.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

~

The problem is you’re forcing guilds to run dungeons. The unlock in a guild window allows players the opportunity to play how they want to and still unlock guild hall content.

If Anet wants to implement specific content to unlock GH features, they’d need to do it across four platforms and also do it equally amongst them. WvW, Dungeons, Open World and lastly, SPvP.

They might be better suited devoting design time to making these game modes better rather than implementing drop rates and rewards to unlock GH features. It would seem to be more profitable – making the game more fun, rather than more grindy.

Well that might be the case however the result of the currency approach has resulted in many people boringly grinding currency. I would not want to know how many people find some way to grind a currency (mainly gold) and ‘play’ GW2 grinding that stuff while watching a movie at the same time. Is that what you want? I would hate it if people played my game as if it was a job.

So personally I would not see that as a positive. But at the same time what I said was “things have to make sense”. Maybe there are also portals to WvW and then those you would earn in WvW (For example have a claim on a keep for a full week to unlock the portal to that WvW map). So different items are locked behind different content but because it makes sense (like I said that is important) this should not be the biggest problem. If you really don’t want to do any PvE stuff you might also not be interested in a portal to LA and blue-prints for walls and doors that have a more WvW like style might drop in WvW (but not in PvE content).

So yes you lock things behind specific content meaning if a guild would want that they would need to do that linked content. But at the same time you do it in logical ways and imho you should then as WvW guild not be complaining for the fact that you need to do PvE content to get a portal to a PvE area or a wall in the style of something we see in PvE but not in WvW. And that also works the other way around. Are you as guild seriously gonna complain that you need to do WvW to unlock a portal to WvW? I think you could easy dismiss it if anybody would start complaining about that.

And what I suggest would in my opinion make it more fun and less grindy. It’s exactly the absence of such drops that make many content feel boring soon and it’s exactly that currency driven way of earning things that turns everything so much into a grind. That is why I suggest it this way.. More fun, less grind, many goals.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

An easy way to do it that doesn’t involve much development time is tying the unlocks to achievements from each game mode (As outlined on my proposal on page 1) The “Blueprint” could appear on a guildhall vendor after a check is done of the interacting players achievements.
For PvP each each champion title and each 10 rank title achievement could unlock stuff.
For WvW each Season title, the EOTM achievements, and possibly a new WvW achievement (since the existing ones are unusable).
For low level PvE, Map completion, Story Completion,JP’s, Each living world chapter achievement completion.
For mid level PvE, Dungeon Master, Teq, TT, etc
For High level PvE, Dunguneer sub-catagories, Fractal lvl50, Harder challenges from living world, liandri,Tribulation,Mad king clocktower.

I also feel that guilds should be forced into certain activities for more advanced rewards. It creates verity based on the guilds play style. Plus unlocks from multiple locations generally end up with one being easier than the rest leading to that being spammed. (I believe there was a reddit post earlier that showed it was actually faster to get dunguneer via PvP than by actually doing the dungeons due to the daily restrictions.)

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

That would be why.

A massive undertaking for a little immersion isn’t a good trade-off. I’ll try and list all the problems with the idea:

1. Guilds currently playing have first dibs on this territory, so if it’s limited in space, future players are SOL.
  2. If you try and make GH’s disappear after a given time frame of non-use, then you reduce the likelihood of players returning after a break, also bad.
  3. The creation of a zone linked to each guild’s customized GH is a nightmare for coding and the zone would have to be so epicly big it would be simply be tedious to run around looking at guild halls.

Rather than look for ways to make GH’s immersive for all players visually, it’s far easier, development-wise, to focus on allowing the owners of the GH to customize within their own instance. Besides, I think we all realize there’s only so many development hours they have and we would all want more time spent on the actual GH rather than being able to see someone else’s GH in a zone.

I think it’s not a small thing I think it’s huge because it also give more reason to invest in the guild-hall and so in the game. And then there where the other reason I gave. immersion was only one.

Also the things you point out, for all of them possible solutions have already been given in this thread.

1. Some solutions that are given. Airmaps if guild-halls would be air-ships. Now you don’t really have a plot you are flying. And would it be on the ground you would only have to reserve space on the world map and then dynamically open and close maps on the ground to create the place you need. There where also some solutions with the mist and a model where you guild-hall could be in an instance but sometimes also pop up in the real world. So you would need less space in the real world.

2. In such a case you would only lose your plot (if it’s an airship it would despawn much like you yourself are gone when you log out. That might then even happen if no guild-members are online). But as soon as you log in you would only have to find a new plot and you would be able to place your guild-hall there again. So you would never lose the guild-hall only the plot / place and there is always place available if you come back.

3. You mean that it would have to be one big map that hold all guild-houses? Why could it not be multiple maps or multiple instances (overflows) of the same map. You always represent one guild at a time so you could always be send to the map your guild-hall is in.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Rambodacious.7495

An easy way to do it that doesn’t involve much development time is tying the unlocks to achievements from each game mode (As outlined on my proposal on page 1) The “Blueprint” could appear on a guildhall vendor after a check is done of the interacting players achievements.
For PvP each each champion title and each 10 rank title achievement could unlock stuff.
For WvW each Season title, the EOTM achievements, and possibly a new WvW achievement (since the existing ones are unusable).
For low level PvE, Map completion, Story Completion,JP’s, Each living world chapter achievement completion.
For mid level PvE, Dungeon Master, Teq, TT, etc
For High level PvE, Dunguneer sub-catagories, Fractal lvl50, Harder challenges from living world, liandri,Tribulation,Mad king clocktower.

I also feel that guilds should be forced into certain activities for more advanced rewards. It creates verity based on the guilds play style. Plus unlocks from multiple locations generally end up with one being easier than the rest leading to that being spammed. (I believe there was a reddit post earlier that showed it was actually faster to get dunguneer via PvP than by actually doing the dungeons due to the daily restrictions.)

I see you and Devata’s points. The problem is, there are many people who want to unlock content playing a game mode they’re happy to play, that they want to play. There are a lot of people that stick to one game mode and plan to for their duration of time in this game. Anet wants profitability, and one of their ongoing business models is that player’s can play how and when they want.

Really, when you think about it, it’s not that big of a deal to allow someone playing 60 hours of WvW to unlock what someone that played 20 hours of WvW, 20 hours of Dungeons and 20 hours of SPvP unlocked. They both had fun and they both played for the same amount of time. Give them both a reward – now everyone is having fun their way. I get that you want the population to spread around and try different game modes, but I don’t think it leads to maximum profitability for the reason above.

I reiterate that HOW the unlocks happen should be generic, BUT, the WHAT is unlocked is where our time in this thread should be spent, especially now that it’s a foregone conclusion that GH’s will be customizable.

- Muke Muscleshell
- Sanctum of Rall

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Titanium Argentum.1427

Titanium Argentum.1427

Well you would unlock a basic guild-hall / room that is available for every guild (and would not be able to hold 500 people). After that you can build upon that making it bigger. In size while not optimal but Stone Mist would be able to hold 500 people I think (while it would be pretty full) and building something of that size or even much much bigger should not be a problem for most suggestions here. Even for airships (what could not be exacly as big as guild-halls in GW1 I guess) they could be big enough to easily fit a lot of people in.

The bigger problem is that so many people in one spot would be kitten the servers but that is a complete separate problem that has not so much to do with the suggestions I have seen.

The problem can have an easy solution. If we have Alliances, and one Alliance its formed with 5 Guilds for example, we can reduce this number to 250 players in one Guild. We know 250 its a best number of people for servers, playing all in one map (same in WvW).

For example, if the Guild “Soldiers of Mursat” have 500 players, they can make 2 guilds in their alliance, have 2 Guild Halls (in 2 different maps), one for “Soldiers of Mursat 1” and other for “Soldiers of Mursat 2”. The maps can hold them, and the new alliance chats can make the communication best.

(edited by Titanium Argentum.1427)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Rambodacious.7495

So, I’m assuming you guys don’t want crafting areas in GH’s because that would reduce the population of cities and we’re after the living world feel with bustling cities. We don’t want to create SPvP loadouts/maps because then less people are in SPvP areas. Honestly, we would want something that is unique to Guild Halls right? And something that brings players together?

Here are four ideas:

How about a series of NPC’s unlocked with everything unlocked? Like, everything. Follow me on this:

- This gear is not wearable anywhere else similar to how SPvP locks gear to the Heart of the Mists.
- It would have all the same looks/shiny things as real ascended/legendary/gem store equipment to allow players to try on various sets leading them to desire armor weapons and buy/earn them.
- There would be target dummies that provide actual Damage Per Second data allowing players the opportunity to hone their builds/gear using whatever gear they want.

There, now plenty of guildies will be sitting in their hall wielding Sunrise with Radiant Armor wishing they had these things/testing different builds/socializing.

A second idea, which Devata and others mentioned is Portals. These should definitely be involved because skipping through the Heart of the Mists is dumb. Guildies can see other guildies running toward portals and ask if they can tag along etc – social interaction and also something to unlock.

The third idea is an area that will explain, visually, conditions and boons on players. They had an area in GW1 that had NPC’s constantly burning or constantly poisoned. It would be great for new players to be able to see all the boons/conditions in action. Further, players could purposefully step in the circle with the NPC and acquire these conditions to test their survivability etc.

The last idea is a jumping puzzle. Specifically, if we’re using airships for GH’s, it could be very difficult, whereby if you fall, you fall, like down to Tyria into a random zone. The player wouldn’t necessarily die, but they might find themselves surrounded by mobs in Orr. The chest at the end of the puzzle could be labeled Guild Stash or something and be available for completion once per 24 hours.

- Muke Muscleshell
- Sanctum of Rall

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If one had to run dungeons, or any other content as a Guild to obtain these ‘blueprints’, are said ‘blueprints’ Guild-bound? Does that mean Devs must create a new kind of binding for items, in addition to soul-bound and account-bound? What designates that this particular dungeon run, or other activity (outside of Guild Missions) will now supply a ‘blueprint’? Would it only be instanced content that awarded said ‘blueprints’? If not, how does the game determine who qualifies and who does not? Are the ‘blueprints’ an addition to the loot rolls? Guaranteed for everyone in a guild? Is the content that awards ‘blueprints’ only content that a Guild initiates just as Guild Missions? Is there a cost to initiate said content?

Will small guilds be left out, again?

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

We saved up 2 million influence just to spend on guild halls!!!

This is exactly why Influence or being in a big guild shouldn’t be the “gate” for building or upgrading a guild hall.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

I’m not sold on the idea of blueprints being drops but if they are the most likely method of handling them would be the same way things like Letters of Commendation are handled. They drop as soul/account bound and you use them on whatever guild you’re currently repping.

In theory you could run a dungeon with Guild A, get a blueprint and use it on Guild B. But if you did that I’m sure others in Guild A would be quite unhappy with you. I believe anyone running a guild dungeon would use any blueprints found on it with that guild.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Losing your plot/place would be huge. A guild starts to identify with a location, maybe enjoys who it has for neighbors and boom! Sorry, you have to relocate IF you can find space (which, if it’s open world, you won’t after the initial landrush and griefing and flames that go with it — I have seen this is every game I’ve played with open world land ownership).

I continue to adamantly oppose decay of any sort in guild halls or player housing. Nothing can sour one on a game quite like having one’s goodies taken away just because one chose not to play a while. Consequently I equally strongly oppose open world real estate plots. Even in the Mists, if you want every guild to have an island you’ll have an urban sprawl of islands as far as the eye can see. Or airships jostling cheek by jowl to blot out the sun. Or a continent-sized subdivision. It simply won’t work.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

~

My vision on this:

Are said ‘blueprints’ Guild-bound? Yes. (At lease once unlocked)

“Does that mean Devs must create a new kind of binding for items?”

They need to design something new yes but I would see it more as an unlock then as a item. Much the same way you can now unlock skins in you wardrobe. Of course we have already something like that.. guilds can unlock things so technically they could use that (and save some development time) however I would think it would be better if this would work a little differed.. more indeed like the wardrobe but then for guilds. They might in fact be able to use the wardrobe system. They already reused it for mini’s. Only question is how hard or how easy it would be to link it to a guild.

“The question left open is what would happen if you take up a blue-print?” I would think it would work like taking a using a blue-print in WvW. You have something in your hand that you can place but now you are not able to take it back into your inventory and If you leave the guild-hall area it will be gone.. The blue-print wardrobe will then be available in your basic guild-hall you unlock before you can start building and expanding it.

“What designates that this particular dungeon run, or other activity (outside of Guild Missions) will now supply a ‘blueprint’?”
2 things. 1 you do it with guild-members only (all representing) and 2 the items blue-print is in a way linked to that content. It might drop as RNG loot that you pick up and then unlock for your representing guild. It should be easy I think to only RNG drop things that your guild has not yet unlocked.. remember are you doing the dungeon with people representing different guilds it will not drop. (if it’s a guild specific content drop / unlock)

“Would it only be instanced content that awarded said ‘blueprints’?” No guild-missions could as well and a World Boss could also. Now then the “you only do it with guild-members” elements would be gone but it might then work just as letters of commendations. It drops for a player and he double clicks it to unlock it for his guild (or it unlocks automatically much like a skin does when I buy it from a karma vendor but then it would not really be an item). I don’t know how the loot system works but it is maybe possible to only give a player blue-prints for his guild that are not unlocked yet. Also activating one of the world-bosses and completing it (also with other guild-people) might be a way to unlock something. However if it’s something you do specifically with a guild (a guild, guild-missions or starting a guild-boss) I would think it would give ‘better’ blue-prints then the ones members can get as drops or unlocks themselves.

“not, how does the game determine who qualifies and who does not?”
Well that depends how the loot system works but most likely by if and what guild he is representing.

“Are the ‘blueprints’ an addition to the loot rolls?”
In that case yes they would.

“Guaranteed for everyone in a guild?”
I don’t get this question but only one person has to get it, he uses it (just as the letter of commendation) and then that blue-print unlocks for the guild of what the guild is able to use it (all members) if they have building rights.

“Is the content that awards ‘blueprints’ only content that a Guild initiates just as Guild Missions?”
No but the best blue-prints would be. And then with a guild initiating the content I also mean doing a dungeon with all members representing that guild, or starting a world boss, or claiming a keep in WvW or doing guild-missions. But a member doing an event might also get a blue-print to drop or unlock it by doing something. But while doing a dungeon with the guild could maybe reward a portal a single person who gets a drop would never get a portal but maybe one of the many wall blue-prints.

“Is there a cost to initiate said content?”
Depends on the content. Claiming or doing a dungeon does not. Guild missions or starting a world boss now cost influence. But for me personally it would not need to require a cost to do the content no.

“Will small guilds be left out, again?”
Overall no. There might be some content they can not do and so blue-prints they can not get. (Small guilds can maybe not unlock guild-missions and so also not get the blueprints you earn that way) also blue-prints that drop in the world will be faster obtained by guilds with many people in the world then by guilds with few people in the world. But overall small and big guilds would be able to get there guidl-hall, earn / unlock / get blue-prints and so start building and expanding on there guild-hall the way they like. So small guilds would for sure not be left out here.

(edited by Devata.6589)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

I’m not sold on the idea of blueprints being drops but if they are the most likely method of handling them would be the same way things like Letters of Commendation are handled. They drop as soul/account bound and you use them on whatever guild you’re currently repping.

In theory you could run a dungeon with Guild A, get a blueprint and use it on Guild B. But if you did that I’m sure others in Guild A would be quite unhappy with you. I believe anyone running a guild dungeon would use any blueprints found on it with that guild.

Thats exactly how I envisioned them. Unlocks directly send to the guild where that would make sense (like how achievements work) and when it are item drops they would work as how now Letters of Commendation work. Those ones would be the ones that would not require guild specific things.

Indeed the negative is that people would then be able to use it on another guild when going to rep another guild (maybe not a huge problem but it might also mean the blue-prints become not special anymore). What I would try to do however (if the loot system allows it) was to only drop something for your guild if it’s not unlocked yet. This should not increase the drop change (if Blueprint x would have dropped but it’s already unlocked you just get nothing.. not blue-print Y or another roll) . Doing it this way would prevent having a lot of blue-prints and repping other guilds for a moment to unlock it for them (because your main guild already has it) and so making blue-prints nothing special because everybody has a lot of them. I just don’t know if the loot system allows for that.

It might be even better if you don’t get it as a item but it unlocks directly for the guild you now represent. This would also prevent that blue-prints would not be special because everybody gets them and gives them to guilds who need them.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

This is exactly why Influence or being in a big guild shouldn’t be the “gate” for building or upgrading a guild hall.

Exactly. This type of carrot would either 1) Kill smaller guilds or 2) Force smaller guilds to merge. With Anet these days you never know, but this is an obvious pitfall to avoid.

Gathering blueprints to form guild halls is a good idea. It shouldn’t be based on chance, rather a reward for killing a boss or completing a meta-event.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Baltzenger.2467

Baltzenger.2467

Why should blueprints be items? Why can’t they be “building plans” unlocked on the guild after completing a certain task. For example, if you want to have Building Plans for, I don’t know, a Kitchen in your GH, there can be an NPC inside of it, that will request you to activate a special guild mission, and if you complete it, you unlock the building plans for a kitchen and a cook, because why not. It could be along the lines of helping some cook achieve something.

Also, I think that the way of unlocking things, shouldn’t be “everything has an equivalent for any possible way of playing the game”, but rather, if you play sPvP, you can get there, some unlocks related to that activity (be it arenas, halls of fame, etc), or in PvE being able to get unlocks about exploring or gathering resources, like getting a garden, a farm, or whatever.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, then the ‘blueprint’ would need to be Guild-bound. If these ’blueprint’s drop in open-world content, then they are either Guild-bound to whatever Guild the player is representing, or they work like Letters of Commendation, which would be much preferable, and would not require so much Dev resources. Requiring all players to represent the same Guild can only work in instances; I’m not sure how easy or difficult that is to encode.

I’m not sure having things Guild-bound would work. That would mean the item must change its function depending on whether someone was representing or not, and which Guild they were representing if they were representing.

I meant if the content were, say, a WB, would everyone representing a Guild be guaranteed a ‘blueprint’, or are they RNG? Or are they RNG regardless if the player is representing or not?

If the Devs were to implement something that was to be used to ‘unlock’ any part of a Guild Hall, it would be best (and least resource-intensive) for it to be just like Letters of Commendation. I suppose the loot roll would be either determined by the content, or it would be like Precursors…able to drop anywhere.

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Huddo.1065

If one had to run dungeons, or any other content as a Guild to obtain these ‘blueprints’, are said ‘blueprints’ Guild-bound? Does that mean Devs must create a new kind of binding for items, in addition to soul-bound and account-bound? What designates that this particular dungeon run, or other activity (outside of Guild Missions) will now supply a ‘blueprint’? Would it only be instanced content that awarded said ‘blueprints’? If not, how does the game determine who qualifies and who does not? Are the ‘blueprints’ an addition to the loot rolls? Guaranteed for everyone in a guild? Is the content that awards ‘blueprints’ only content that a Guild initiates just as Guild Missions? Is there a cost to initiate said content?

Will small guilds be left out, again?

I think I can chime in
(Note: my ‘blueprints’ are ‘item recipes’, and my ‘guild materials’ is your ‘blueprints’ I think.)

As a part of my ‘Guild Workbench’ concept, I made a “Build and Unlock Items” post discussing how items are made. Have a look specifically at ‘Guild Materials’. I also then discussed how ‘Guild Materials’ could be implemented in a later “Concepts/Systems 2” post (towards the bottom).

I think I answer/bring up most of your questions in those posts, so I’ll only comment on “Will small guilds be left out, again?”:
Small guilds should be able to make all the items large guild make. My concept uses influence/merits/‘guild materials’ as currency to complete items, so yes it might take small guilds longer to unlock items compared to larger guilds. This is like the existing influence/merit guild upgrades system, but some people in smaller guilds don’t like it? There is still progression and therefore a sense of accomplishment which why, IMO, I think my concept and the existing guild upgrades system works/will work.

A personal example: I’m not in a huge guild myself and we’re finally upgrading our last category to Level 6. Yes it’s taken us longer than if we had dozens of extra people, but the progression and reward is fulfilling (IMO).

(edited by Huddo.1065)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Huddo.1065

Part 4/4

1. Initially:

• Item shop (some items)
  • Workbench: building items, edit mode (substantial editing tools)

3. Eventually add:

• For Approach 3: GH Theme system to allow upgrading from you ‘very basic GH’

• Multi-storey GH’s
  • High-end items
  • Activity/game roster system

Thank you very much, this is what I was looking for.
I think with this kind of setup, we could have GH sooner, without sacrificing the level of depth we want from the system too!

To this point I think I’ll wait for the weekend and see what Chris can tell us about his ideas and the direction we can take from here.

No worries :)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

A lot of folks have put forth good ideas; as a former GW1 and dedicated GW2 player, a few things I’d like to see are:

1. A ‘Go To Guild Hall’ button in the Guild pane

2. Like in GW1, an island— here you could make that in the mists or wherever you’d want, since the islands were apparently swamped— basically decent room for a lot of folks without forcing them all in one place

3. Merchants and Guild-specific merchants

4. GvG (though this might take time, since it’s a bunch of different pvp maps; granted you can reskin a few as was done in GW1.

5. The ability to choose different themes, either based on race, region, whatever.

6. Some customisability would be nice but I’d just be happy with something similar to GW1’s. It would allow a guild to group together to do guild-wide gatherings without needing to constantly taxi over in the open world, which for mine would be great.

7. Guesting, same as in GW1.

What I’d hate to see is some kind of rent system. Just like with the game itself, and everything else in it, there shouldn’t be a monthly tax/fee to keep playing. If real life gets hairy for a while, folks shouldn’t lose what they worked for.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

CDI- Guilds- Guild Halls

in CDI

Devata.6589

Exactly. This type of carrot would either 1) Kill smaller guilds or 2) Force smaller guilds to merge. With Anet these days you never know, but this is an obvious pitfall to avoid.

Gathering blueprints to form guild halls is a good idea. It shouldn’t be based on chance, rather a reward for killing a boss or completing a meta-event.

For the more important ones I agree it should be a reward / unlock for doing something specific like killing a boss or completing a dungeons and so on. But I can imagine there are many many many different type of walls and doors and windows and chairs and decorations and so on available. Imho they would be fine to just randomly (so rng) drop.

That would however still then drop in specific places! so if you want a specific one you know you can do that specific content and should be able to get that soon enough. No general world drops that means you can’t work directly towards them.