Dev activity on the crafting forum

in Crafting

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I honestly cannot recall the last time that I saw a dev response on this part of the forum. Are the crafters of this game perhaps not important enough to merit interaction?

The result is that any crafting related questions are put in the BLT section, or in the general discussion section, where they often do not belong. Is this perhaps intended?

Or is this part of the forum perhaps more a “players helping players” forum, with the exception that questions on this forum are focused on crafting? I’m honestly trying to understand the thought behind this developed practice.

in Crafting

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

They probably got tired reading about people talking about precursors. I know people complain a lot, but it’s all facts about how little was done in that area after all the talks.
But regardless, you’re right about them omitting all other posts just because of that. I personally wouldn’t mind them hop on here once in a while just to talk about other crafting areas that do not involve legendaries.

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Not much different from the dungeon section but what is there to say really? There has hardly been anything worth talking about in either aspects of the game.

in Crafting

Buttercup.5871

Bumping for awareness. I see a lot of valid questions asked on the crafting forum right now, which will never be answered. The guy that’s forging superior sigils/runes, for example, should post his question in the BLT section as it’s a very good question that needs player feedback and, ultimately, dev feedback. Since the latter in practice never happens here, players won’t visit the crafting forum and provide the feedback that question deserves.

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s been my experience that devs aren’t really active on the forums. Of the games I’ve played, Anet ones are on the higher end of activity. I would rather have them making stuff than making replys on the forums anyways.

in Crafting

Romo.3709

It’s been my experience that devs aren’t really active on the forums. Of the games I’ve played, Anet ones are on the higher end of activity. I would rather have them making stuff than making replys on the forums anyways.

But wouldn’t you better have them making stuff that we the gamers want? Thus the forum is more than information window for them, It’s a constant flow of innovative ideas and pleads from their customers.
I know what you’re coming from, but I’d much rather have them work on something I care about than something that’s no interest to me.
And since the crafters been having quite a hard time in the game lately, Especially when it comes to the certain types of weapons, it would be a good idea for devs to just hop in here once in a while answering some questions and suggestions.
At this point I really don’t expect them to do anything about precursors till like another year or two from now, BUT there are still many good and valid topics about other things in this section, just like Buttercup.5871 mentioned.

in Crafting

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

What’s really pathetic is that commercial websites are begging players to submit questions for Anet, by way of Reddit, while the legitimate questions here get the Brick Wall treatment.

We might as well be talking to a Brick Wall.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Crafting

Romo.3709

We are, in a way. If you look in Dev Tracker section, you’ll notice they’re mostly active in resolving people’s serious bug issues, but also take their time in very simple issues like “I didn’t get my chest today”, when answer is “because you opened one already today”. They also take incredible amount of time answering sPVP oriented questions and complains.

in Crafting

Buttercup.5871

That’s not good enough.

It doesn’t explain why, amongst the last 750 threads I’ve scrolled back to, there was no substantial comment from a dev to any of the questions asked on this crafting forum.

Technically speaking, there was one “substantial” comment from a dev, if one call call it that; someone asked why the new recipes introduced during the F&F event required such an insane amount of ingredients, to which the answer was – and I kid you not – that “The new food buffs last twice as long, I believe”.

That’s it. That’s the only substantial comment received in the last 750 threads. I dare not go further, it may be worse.

in Crafting

Posted by: fey.5438

fey.5438

Dev’s are reading gw2reddit becouse this forum is full of trashtalk
They abandoned this forum like gods left Tyria

in Crafting

Posted by: Hexcaliber.5714

Hexcaliber.5714

Crafting in GW2 has always been the same, it was designed as nothing more than a money sink for the main game and the devs could care less that there is a whole community that want crafting worked on. This is how it launched and how it has stayed, if you want devs who actively support crafting find another game.

in Crafting

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

It’s pretty obvious. Like Hexcaliber said, it’s a complete money sink. I just dumped 2k+ rares and 500 exotics into the mystic forge TODAY and didn’t get a precursor at all. I probably dumped in around 10k+ rares total, so it’s ridiculous that I didn’t get a precursor by now. The Devs started tuning out the complaints about the mystic forge as soon as the complaints were made, and they tuned out the rest of the crafting community with them.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

But wouldn’t you better have them making stuff that we the gamers want?

What does that have to do with devs responding on the forums? Nothing I think. They don’t need to respond to threads to make stuff we want.

in Crafting

Romo.3709

What does that have to do with devs responding on the forums? Nothing I think. They don’t need to respond to threads to make stuff we want.

“Communication.” You should wiki that.

in Crafting

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Players communicate what they way, developers work it out. There is little reason for them to have to take the time to communicate back. Not when crafting is such a straightforward process.

Buttercup.5871 – What do you want them to say? It was obvious to me that they felt said craft (your example) required so many mats as it was a convenience item to have it last twice as long. Do you want a lot of fluff as to why they think those numbers were proper? Do you want the token “we’ll look into it”?

Lastly: Bosses, that we players tend to think we are, have a saying “less talking, more doing”. We, the boss, told them, they go do. Repeat.

in Crafting

Romo.3709

Players communicate what they way, developers work it out. There is little reason for them to have to take the time to communicate back. Not when crafting is such a straightforward process.

Buttercup.5871 – What do you want them to say? It was obvious to me that they felt said craft (your example) required so many mats as it was a convenience item to have it last twice as long. Do you want a lot of fluff as to why they think those numbers were proper? Do you want the token “we’ll look into it”?

Lastly: Bosses, that we players tend to think we are, have a saying “less talking, more doing”. We, the boss, told them, they go do. Repeat.

This whole thread is pretty much based on the fact that there is a lot of cool and innovative ideas aside from all the precursor ranting. And no dev has been active in this part of the forum at all. It’s not about them responding to every dumb question like “how many mats do i need to make this”. it’s not about that and we all pretty much know it. The idea is to acknowledge that they’re even reading this part of the forum, because it frankly feels VERY abandoned. For all we know, we just trow the ideas against the wall.
If you’d actually READ the post rather than jumping on the last comment, you’d know what we’re talking about here. Otherwise, go and “tell off” people somewhere else.

in Crafting

Buttercup.5871

Yea his response pretty much showed he hadn’t read the first post. Well, at least he’s not the only one

Echo echo echo. It’s almost funny how blatantly ignored the crafting forum is.

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

The idea is to acknowledge that they’re even reading this part of the forum, because it frankly feels VERY abandoned.

Since we are being frank, I think it’s silliness for players to be assured by devs that they are ‘paying attention’ through posting. Again, what value is added doing this, other than making you feel good?

in Crafting

Buttercup.5871

The idea is to acknowledge that they’re even reading this part of the forum, because it frankly feels VERY abandoned.

Since we are being frank, I think it’s silliness for players to be assured by devs that they are ‘paying attention’ through posting. Again, what value is added doing this, other than making you feel good?

Huh? Players with valid questions regarding crafting don’t want to “feel good”, they want their question(s) answered! Some questions by definition cannot be answered by players. Such as whether it was intended that azurite cannot be morphed from green to rare quality, as is the case with all other gemstones in the game. Amongst those 750+ threads that I scrolled through, there are some incredibly good, well formulated and well pre-researched questions, yet none has been answered thus far. Which begs the question: should any question that relates to crafting be put in another part of the forum to receive the response it deserves, and to which no other player could provide the answer?

in Crafting

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Which begs the question: should any question that relates to crafting be put in another part of the forum to receive the response it deserves, and to which no other player could provide the answer?

No, of course not. That would be a waste of time. The PvP developer who posts in the sPvP forum is not going to answer the question about intrincacies of the crafting system.

The fact is, the crafting developer’s last post in the GW2 official forum was in February. Considering it’s the same person behind the Ascended gear announcement and the development of the Mystic Forge – which aren’t exactly the most popular aspects of GW2 – I wouldn’t expect to see her back any time soon.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

Huh? Players with valid questions regarding crafting don’t want to “feel good”, they want their question(s) answered!

Wanting and needing questions answers are two different things and I don’t see questions posted here that devs need to answer. Wanting questions answered when they don’t need to be answered by devs IS about making players feel good. Let’s be honest about the motives here. You even imply feeling unimportant by the lack of dev interaction in the original post.

Again, what value does devs answering questions on forums have other than making players feel warm and fuzzy? Is that more value as opposed to them doing what they are paid to?

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Crafting

Romo.3709

Huh? Players with valid questions regarding crafting don’t want to “feel good”, they want their question(s) answered!

Wanting and needing questions answers are two different things and I don’t see questions posted here that devs need to answer. Wanting questions answered when they don’t need to be answered by devs IS about making players feel good. Let’s be honest about the motives here. You even imply feeling unimportant by the lack of dev interaction in the original post.

Again, what value does devs answering questions on forums have other than making players feel warm and fuzzy? Is that more value as opposed to them doing what they are paid to?

Then with that in mind, why answer ANY question on ANY board? I mean it’s all about making players “feel warm and fuzzy” according to you. Why ask questions? Why answer them? Quastions are there to be questioned, not answered, right? I don’t see any questions on sPvP board that “need” to be answered at all. But does it mean they shouldn’t be answered because I personally don’t feel like they “need” to be answered? According to you, yes they shouldn’t be answered because I do not care about sPvP, right? Then questions regarding crafting don’t “need” to be answered by devs because You don’t feel like they “need” to be answered. Then let me ask you this. Why do you come here if you’re not looking for answers? To troll? To put other players down? To feel more self importance?

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

Then with that in mind, why answer ANY question on ANY board?

because everyone is free to make posts and attempt to help each other. Just don’t have some unreasonable expectation that it will be a dev that answers your questions. It’s not their job.

in Crafting

Romo.3709

because everyone is free to make posts and attempt to help each other. Just don’t have some unreasonable expectation that it will be a dev that answers your questions. It’s not their job.

There are some questions in this forum that no player can answer. Thus they are directly addressed towards the devs.
It is NOT unreasonable expectation. Devs are helping out and answering questions on literally every other forum subsection except for this one, thus the whole idea of this topic.
It’s not about whining that devs aren’ answering my question or the OP’s question. It’s more of a lack of any kind of activity on this sub forum section over all. Last dev’s post on here was back in February… Yet sPvP for example have devs daily.

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

There are some questions in this forum that no player can answer. Thus they are directly addressed towards the devs.

Maybe, but this isn’t a very good reasoning to expect devs to answer them. Part of mystique of playing MMO’s is that not everything is laid bare for players to benefit from optimizing their activities. MF works this way and I’m certain their is some parts of whatever crafters what to know that works this way as well. Everything else, people can figure out and share themselves. Again, this is simply about what value there is for a dev to answer questions about crafting on the forum vs. doing what they are paid to do.

Sorry, I’m not being obtuse here but I think the whole premise that crafters are ‘ignored’ because devs don’t post in the crafting forum enough is ridiculous. Observe how that doesn’t carry over to other forum sections.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Crafting

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Maybe we just haven’t said anything clever enough in here to require a response.

Most questions here can be given direct, factual responses by other players. There is one sort of dev response we see here ALL THE TIME: they select a friendly and useful correct answer and give it the big green “A:” when people ask a “Q:”.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Crafting

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Sorry, I’m not being obtuse here but I think the whole premise that crafters are ‘ignored’ because devs don’t post in the crafting forum enough is ridiculous. Observe how that doesn’t carry over to other forum sections.

Faulty logic post of the day. Crafters are ignored in this forum, and other areas of the game are not. Some sections of these forums are extremely active with dev interactions, sPvP for instance. WvW is not so active with only one or devs answering, but not even daily. This section gets no answers. We are being ignored.

I’m sorry you can’t see that.

here is one sort of dev response we see here ALL THE TIME: they select a friendly and useful correct answer and give it the big green “A:” when people ask a “Q:”.

Actually the original poster in a thread usually does that, not a dev.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Crafting

Obtena.7952

Faulty logic post of the day. Crafters are ignored in this forum, and other areas of the game are not. Some sections of these forums are extremely active with dev interactions, sPvP for instance. WvW is not so active with only one or devs answering, but not even daily. This section gets no answers. We are being ignored.

Fun fact: A lack of dev posts does not indicate crafters are ignored by the devs even if other sections are very active with dev posts. This section gets lot of answers, even if they aren’t directly from devs.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Crafting

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

Oh is crafting anything more than to make legendaries? It’s not like there’s an actual economy.

in Crafting

Romo.3709

Is it really so much to ask for dev’s response once in a while? We’re not asking them to change the whole kitten game…