3 hours for nothing - Partyleader left

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Uder.9187

Uder.9187

So a elementalist called Martynka on desolation decided to go offline after telling us “too laggy bye” and screwed up the whole party doing Araha explo path Mursaat. The subsitution we got couldnt enter the same instance.

Thx for nothing, after the change that you only get the tokens after last boss, such things really screw you up. Please rethink that decision Anet.

The Iron Triangle – Desolation
Leina Shade | Svea Lightbringer | Maximus Ironhide | Mara Deathblossom

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

Did you consider replacing them…? I mean, there would have a been a lineup of people wanting to get into a quick Arah for just the last boss to get the tokens…

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

As far as I’m aware when the party leader leaves everyone gets kicked out of the instance. I assume this is what Uder is upset about rightfully so. I think if the leader leaves the leadership should go to the next person who joined the party rather than the entire party being kicked.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: Disconnected.9253

Disconnected.9253

Did you consider replacing them…? I mean, there would have a been a lineup of people wanting to get into a quick Arah for just the last boss to get the tokens…

they did, re-read the OP.

currently, if party leader leaves, you either get booted or (in this case due to dc, i assume) you’re stuck with what you have left as replacements will zone to a different instance.

This is my biggest issue other than end EM bosses crashing your instance (cough TA cough) since the badges-at-the-end patch.

Posted by: Chidawg.6315

Chidawg.6315

This is my understanding of instances. Usually the instance belongs to whoever enters the instance first. Now when that person leaves the group it does I believe get passed to someone else in the group. However when someone else joins who was part of another 1/2 finished instance of the same kind I think there might be issues. But I believe we’ve had the person leave then invited a new person who hasn’t run at all during that day or completed his old run and he was able to join and finish the runs.

Chibong(lvl 80 necro)/Chidawg(lvl 80 thief)
SoS – The Industry[WORK]

Posted by: Otouto.8294

Otouto.8294

As far as I’m aware when the party leader leaves everyone gets kicked out of the instance. I assume this is what Uder is upset about rightfully so. I think if the leader leaves the leadership should go to the next person who joined the party rather than the entire party being kicked.

Just happened to me. We killed the boss and before I could loot the chest, the leader left ….. No loot for me.clap clap clap.

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

We’re currently looking into solutions for this and another nasty case: Party leader leaving the party and ejecting folks from the dungeon, forcing them to restart.

One of the solutions we’re investigating to the problem you posted though, is for the instance ownership to transition to the new “party leader” so that instead of everyone getting the boot, there is a player in the party who becomes the new owner and the group can continue on.
I’m sure I’m making it sound easier than it really is, but that is one of the solutions we are investigating. There’s a lot of tech magic way beyond my pay-grade that needs to happen, but we are working on a solution to this issue.

Posted by: DarthVarner.9246

DarthVarner.9246

I’ve experienced this “party leader leaving → ejecting everyone from the instance” behavior, and am very glad to hear it is being looked at.

It killed pub dungeon runs for me for over a week.

Compeyson | [EPIC] | Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Robert Hrouda, why do instances even have owners? This is a serious question. All the other games I play have it set up that the group is in the instance and as long as the group is a group (two or more people), people can come and go as they please as long as at least one person stays in the instance. A “leader” is only selected to mark and possibly guide, but GW2 has it set so anyone can mark a target. “Owning” the personal story instances is the only time it makes any sense to me.

Posted by: zeoli.3250

zeoli.3250

As a programmer, surely it would be better to change the party leader variable from a string to an array of strings that contains each of the 5 group members (making each member a co-leader) and should someone leave just have the array shuffle round so array 4 (5th party member is empty) and who ever joins is put into that slot. I understand the problem then is that for the cut scenes the party must have a leader to appear, this is solved by instead of referencing to the party leader you reference to the array0 (1st in line)

This should be applicable to the code behind the scenes.

Posted by: miya.5160

miya.5160

I’m sure it isn’t simple, but I feel like it’s one of the most basic feature of MMOs.

It seems weird to be such a problem.

Posted by: Alatreon.7298

Alatreon.7298

Anet why did you think it was a good idea in the first place, i mean how did you not see this coming?

Posted by: urtv.8791

urtv.8791

the real question is,why didnt anet just ask for help from ncsoft

Posted by: Ulquiorra.6903

Ulquiorra.6903

a whole day just to find a party to do arah explore. then
random member left at lupicious, someone else went out to recruit got new member. neither could come in. 3.5 hours wasted no tokens… thanks anet ;D…really. thank you.

Posted by: Ulquiorra.6903

Ulquiorra.6903

it was path 1 btw..

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Ye happened to me too, wasted nearly 4 hours on arah, 2 left on dwayna thinking was bugged, i went out to find subtitutes, me and the 2 new players wasn’t unable to rejoin the party. But same time, i turned to be the leader (one of the two leavers was the leader). What a mess..

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Another fix you might want to include while your at is, is giving the party an option to reset the instance.

For example, I was running AC exp path 1 yesterday, and it glitched towards the end (NPC would not trigger the “flag” required to open the door to the area where you grab the 5 scepter pieces, basically making it impossible to complete. Fine whatever, instances bug alot, nothing new. But in order to create a new instance, you have to log off > log into a different character > log off > log back on to your main. Seems silly, just give an option upon exiting the instance > re-entering, asking if you want to reset or continue. Not a huge deal, but semi-annoying.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

aye we’re still here.

Attachments:

(edited by rojak.1894)

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

’tis a good night to awaken the dead…

Attachments:

Posted by: Lian Olsam.9541

Lian Olsam.9541

finally anet reply to this big issue, THANKS
in other games it work very easy, the istance is open if someone is inside, they can start 20 ppl and if 19 left party (doesent care who is the leader) the istance is still open

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

in other games it work very easy, the istance is open if someone is inside, they can start 20 ppl and if 19 left party (doesent care who is the leader) the istance is still open

The post was made in October 2012, not 2013.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

………..

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Sadly, the problem remains.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Nobody has to be an instance owner. If you’re worrying about cutscenes, show everyone their own char in it. If you need a unique ID for the instance, ID is the the timestamp of the instance it was created salt hashed with the ID of the instance opener. Refer to the instance by it’s unique ID, not by the ID who created it. If two instances are party-merged, the one that initiated the merge is the one getting destroyed BUT do show a warning that if you merge your current instance will be done. What’s so hard about this?

Someone must have been ignoring the basics when creating the db for managing the parties…

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Nobody has to be an instance owner. If you’re worrying about cutscenes, show everyone their own char in it. If you need a unique ID for the instance, ID is the the timestamp of the instance it was created salt hashed with the ID of the instance opener. Refer to the instance by it’s unique ID, not by the ID who created it. If two instances are party-merged, the one that initiated the merge is the one getting destroyed BUT do show a warning that if you merge your current instance will be done. What’s so hard about this?

Someone must have been ignoring the basics when creating the db for managing the parties…

It seems to me the reasoning behind the kick is to prevent people from ferrying those who haven’t finished the prerequisites into dungeons/instances.

A partial solution would be to hand off ownership to a party member who has finished the prerequsites… and for those groups who don’t have any such members — give a small grace period to LFG for someone who has.

However, this bug/feature has now become an important way to defend against people kicking you at the end of a run in order to sell/invite guildies. So perhaps it’s better not to fix it?

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

top tier necro!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

We’re currently looking into solutions for this and another nasty case: Party leader leaving the party and ejecting folks from the dungeon, forcing them to restart.

One of the solutions we’re investigating to the problem you posted though, is for the instance ownership to transition to the new “party leader” so that instead of everyone getting the boot, there is a player in the party who becomes the new owner and the group can continue on.
I’m sure I’m making it sound easier than it really is, but that is one of the solutions we are investigating. There’s a lot of tech magic way beyond my pay-grade that needs to happen, but we are working on a solution to this issue.

Well on the one hand I’m glad you guys are looking at it, on the other hand I would like to stress the importance of this issue, happened to me as well, not fun when you’ve put more than an hour into a very difficult run and right before the final boss the leader leaves.

EDIT: especially since you’ve been looking into this for OVER A YEAR!

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

EDIT: especially since you’ve been looking into this for OVER A YEAR!

Came here for this I wasn’t disappointed!

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

lol they said year ago they’ll fix it and did nothing, that was predictable…

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

RIP in peace Robert. (Haha Ethics, I hope you appreciate this shout out )

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Rest in peaece in peace, very poetic…

To topic: ridiculous, this never should have been a problem and now – even after a kittening year – the problem remains. kitten fix your game.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Sorry, but they can’t fix it, they have to make sure the carebears and carrot chasers have something to do every two weeks before they get bored and wander off taking their gems with them.

Posted by: Lian Olsam.9541

Lian Olsam.9541

The post was made in October 2012, not 2013.

lol didn’t saw that
so a big shame on anet…

Posted by: Knaifhogg.5964

Knaifhogg.5964

This thread is also sad.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

let’s keep bumping it so ANet will eventually respond and clarify :/

Posted by: Nodo.6907

Nodo.6907

Yes, would love to see this part of the game reworked.

Name- Nodo
Server – Yak’s Bend

(edited by Nodo.6907)

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

Sooo many red threads recently. Oh wait.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Wow, over a year and they still didn’t fix this or come up with a solution. And to think i was going to buy some gems.. I’m so glad i didn’t. Why should i? That money isn’t going to A-net to fix these problems anyway.

Posted by: Atreides.3709

Atreides.3709

A fix on this would really, really benefit the players. I wish they would prioritize things like this, but – fixes like these don’t keep the gem store up

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I’m actually happy about this necro.

It just goes to show that the Devs acknowledged this problem over a year ago and we have heard nothing since.

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about development, coding, or as the content designer puts it ‘tech magic’ required to make this happen, but for a problem a large percentage of the player base every single day…

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

First off, yes, it’s extremely stupid how such a rampant problem like this is still around over a year later.

The way I see it, dungeon instances should never have a leader. As long as 1 person in the party has Explorable unlocked on their toon, ANYONE should be able to open the instance for the whole party. Meaning instance are owned by ALL FIVE PEOPLE, and not just one person. As long as one person remains in the instance and party, the instance should always be alive.

To force players to play an instance in 4 because the ‘instance owner’ disconnected, for example, is outrageous. And to force all party members to leave the instance because the ‘instance owner’ was a little brat and felt like ditching, is ridiculous.

Yet here we are, over a year since launch, and it’s the same BS. If ArenaNet really cared about their playerbase, they’d shift their focus from the next gem-store skin (for just a second) to changing the way this works which will have a guaranteed positive reaction from the entire GW2 community.

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

While we’re at it, I think that 2 is too few votes to warrant kicking someone from an instance. It should at least be a majority vote.

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

Back then when devs used to update the Release Notes about fixes to Dungeons and open world, they added this feature to prevent this:

If the owner of a dungeon instance intentionally leaves his party to kick out players and invite new players, it will now also kick that owner out of the dungeon to prevent people from kicking PUG members and inviting guild members for the final boss of a dungeon.

But I guess they forgot about how PUG kickers could also start the dungeon with a friend and kick everyone else out. This intended feature probably wont be changed unless they want to do an overhaul of the LfG system, who knows maybe something will happen when the LfG tool comes out of beta. Maybe they are still gathering feedback and it’s probably low on their list since no devs acknowledged the issue since.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

While you are trying to do something about party leader.. You could investigate this thing…

About 30+ min passed and i got this bug.. I cant create looking for group because it says i already have advertised my party. But i didnt. I cant remove it because it doesnt exist.

Fix this bug…

Sometime i cant do dungeons because everyone leave party so i need to find another one… And that happens about 4 times for one path…

Attachments:

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

WoW part 1 doing it for 3h and on the end… the lupicus is here stuck…. Nice one arenanet…
Common fix your game… Do something…

Attachments:

Posted by: Tarhion.1530

Tarhion.1530

Sign. I lose 1-2 hours every time when this happend.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I <3 these necro’d threads. They always make me laugh.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

Well, it’s a legit necro since the issue still hasn’t been fixed after over a year along with a nice list of other issues that have been around since the start of the game. Maybe Scarlett is behind this aswell…

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Be sure to make it so that players are notified WHO the new party leader is, so that the players won’t be in for a surprise when someone who is the new party leader wants to character swap.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: Idujenn.5830

Idujenn.5830

I realy hope the solution is not this easy… because if the Leadership is changed so easyly… kicking the Partyleader will be possible as well (without any consequences for the other players/leechers).
Im no “kick before endboss”-Guy.
But to be save i always open the grp.

And yea, i don`t even kick the Clerics and PVT Guys (I call it… higher dificulty-lvl).
But the consecuences will be, that the zerks will die more often in such a grp (at least i do…).
So in the end i am the noob, who is always dying… kick.
Shame on me… my dungeonfinder-description wasn`t clear enogh with: “ZERK (Full berserk) ONLY 2Worriors, 2 Guardians, 1 Ele or Mes”…. and i get kicked by the two PVT Necros and the nice Bearbow-ranger… Thanks a lot…

If I make myself the work of building a group, looking, that the setup is ok and so on… I expect a certain amount of protection… Well i think everyone deserves a certain amount of protection.

So it would be better to give the party some elements to overwiev their mates. (i.e Categories in LFG, DPS-Meter, wse.)