Being kicked for being a thief

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

…seriously getting sick and tired of that.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Wait till you use Necro… :|

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Thanks for the detailed information and extremely appropriate conversation starter for the dungeons forum.

“GLF1M Heavy class, p1”… You HAVE to let me PLAY with you guys!

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

Thanks for the detailed information and extremely appropriate conversation starter for the dungeons forum.

“GLF1M Heavy class, p1”… You HAVE to let me PLAY with you guys!

/chuckle

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

Don’t worry, they fixed the ship-JP in arah p2. I’m sure they want you now^^

Posted by: viciouspike.8624

viciouspike.8624

I play thief almost exclusively… I rarely to never get kicked then again I don’t sit in the back using short bow then laugh when a full zerker thief goes down saying well I am doing a lot of damage and I am still at full health. I am doing something right.

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

You should post specifics. Did you get kicked as soon as you joined the group? Or fighting a boss and they rage kicked you? for examples.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

I think the dudes kicked you because they were too scared of you stealing their legendaries and exotic stuff, because you know, thief IRL are filthy rats, and we kick filthy rats (joke, don’t ban me modz).

Posted by: Synesence.7546

Synesence.7546

I got kicked as a Mesmer for not using GS on the Dredge Carrier on Path 3 of Sorrow’s Embrace. Apparently, 3 wardens doing the damage for you whilst you sit there watching because you didn’t have a GS isn’t enough, EVEN if it got you all the way there in the first place. XD

I never get kicked as a thief. EVER.
The whole team just ragequits on me. XD

Posted by: Xeraion.1582

Xeraion.1582

The problem with thiefs is, that if you got a good thief its no problem but if you got a bad thief you virtual playing with a four men party… they just die like flys.
It takes a good amount of time to play a thief really good and since you dont know if the thief is good you just avoid the risk in not taking one.

Posted by: Erebus.9276

Erebus.9276

The problem with thiefs is, that if you got a good thief its no problem but if you got a bad thief you virtual playing with a four men party… they just die like flys.
It takes a good amount of time to play a thief really good and since you dont know if the thief is good you just avoid the risk in not taking one.

Bad players play badly on all classes though…

Casual Dungeon Thief

Card ~> Thief | Casual Card ~> Mesmer

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I did a CoF run with a Pistol/Pistol + Shortbow thief… I don’t know much about thiefs. But I’m pretty sure that isn’t a recommended dps setup lol.

I noticed thiefs usually slow up skips that are easily doable without SR. Whenever a pug thief joins our arah group, we are all ready to do our skips, then the dude is like “wait 20 seconds for SR”. And I usually say, “Or we can do this skip in 5 seconds”.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

I did a CoF run with a Pistol/Pistol + Shortbow thief… I don’t know much about thiefs. But I’m pretty sure that isn’t a recommended dps setup lol.

I noticed thiefs usually slow up skips that are easily doable without SR. Whenever a pug thief joins our arah group, we are all ready to do our skips, then the dude is like “wait 20 seconds for SR”. And I usually say, “Or we can do this skip in 5 seconds”.

And they never know how to use smoke screen for stealth. I’ve tried to explain it a couple times just before the Arah p1 run. I tell them how it works and say use smoke screen, we’ll run, when stealth is almost gone, drop shadow refuge. Half the time they don’t even use smoke screen at all. The other half of the time the do smoke screen, we get the full stealth, but then he instantly drops shadow refuge right there…I’ve seen this happen more than once

Erebus.9276

But yeah… If/when I do pug dungeons; thieves, necros, rangers and most engi’s are insta booted depended and how kitteny I feel. Moral of the story is… Don’t pug, don’t get kicked.

Casual Dungeon Thief

Cat Has Ducks.1982

But yeah… If/when I do pug dungeons; thieves, necros, rangers and most engi’s are insta booted depended and how kitteny I feel. Moral of the story is… Don’t pug, don’t get kicked.

I like this guy. He has the right attitude.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

Posted by: Synesence.7546

Synesence.7546

I can handle getting kicked. I just want the chat log to stay so I can increase my Blocked List.

Erebus.9276

I can handle getting kicked. I just want the chat log to stay so I can increase my Blocked List.

Amen.

Casual Dungeon Thief

viciouspike.8624

SB and p/p thief oh boy… I saw one of those in CoE once long day. Thieves don’t slow the skips down idiots slow skips down. Usually with me it is oh look a thief he will help you complete the run or they wait for me to use SR, most times, after I use it to revive someone.

I am not an Arah pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I pretty much know how to get through most of the Arah trash without stealth aids.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Well, if you’re a good thief then it’s their loss for kicking you. Thief has some of the highest base DPS in the game, and can provide far more utility than just stealth.

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Well, if you’re a good thief then it’s their loss for kicking you. Thief has some of the highest base DPS in the game, and can provide far more utility than just stealth.

In PUG land that’s like looking for a specific needle in a barrel of needles. It’s rare you find what you are looking for, and the process of even looking will cause you pain.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

Erebus.9276

In PUG land that’s like looking for a specific needle in a barrel of needles. It’s rare you find what you are looking for, and the process of even looking will cause you pain.

And that’s why you keep looking instead of touching.

<100bladez crits better ’n yalls, filthy wanna be thieves>

PSA: The plural of thief is thieves. Not thiefs, not thiefts nor thifs. Thank you.

Casual Dungeon Thief

Posted by: drkmgic.9583

drkmgic.9583

this thread is so depressing since i’m making a theif

viciouspike.8624

This thread shouldn’t hinder you in the least I pretty much exclusively run thief and I have no problem with groups (getting in/staying in). I have problems with other thieves joining thinking SB is good DPS so I have resorted to posting Px experienced no Shortbow thieves.

Erebus.9276

this thread is so depressing since i’m making a theif

Fear not young thief! I’ll post some sexy ingame big numbers once I return to my computer to bring some cheer back into your newly depressed outlook! There is hope my child.

Casual Dungeon Thief

Posted by: sobelius.4756

sobelius.4756

IMHO, as a semi-experienced thief, when you solo in PvE you are almost always in melee because SB really isn’t necessary. You just love stunning and whacking mobs for high crit damage and surviving just fine.

PvE in dungeons requires a complete re-think in play style. Took me a lot of dying with my friends — not PUGs — to get used to moving a lot, swapping weapons a lot, dodging and evading a lot, slotting the healing skill Withdraw that includes a dodge and cures some conditions, using Steal as often as possible (combined with the evade from Crippling shot if I have a SB in hand). I play an Asura, so I may drop Pain Inverter or Elite Golem if the situation demands.

blah blah blah

Essentially I feel like I have to regularly juggle my slotted skills — and change up between S/P, D/D and SB weapons almost every battle. Juggling stuff isn’t unique to Thief, though — effective Elementalists cycle constantly.

In the end, I had to drop my sense that my thief was some DPS kitten, and use my DPS in conjunction with my friends, while also offering utility (smoke screens, group stealth, Asura elite golem) and just plain having a good time instead of crying that we don’t pwn every encounter in a dungeon — we often get pwned — but we’ve finished nearly every run we’ve started (I think we abandoned our first couple of Ascalon runs when we couldn’t get past the spider queen — until we finally did).

Caveat: I haven’t run a ton of dungeons, but I’ve run my fair share. I don’t grind (ain’t nobody got time for that). I don’t have a single piece of ascended gear — the price of not grinding and not having the time to do all the stuff required to get it. Best advice in this thread has been to play with friends — or a friendly guild that will bear with you while you experiment with all the tools at your disposal.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Thief suffers from a weaker case of Rangeritis. The plague of casuals have tainted its name so much that only more experienced players will actually appreciate what a Thief can bring to the table.
If you’re getting kicked on the premise of being a Thief (not a SB spamming, full Cleric Thief justified by Signet of Malice ~ yes I’ve met one) then you were better off without those fools.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

If it is any comfort Cynz, my pug group kicked a zerg warrior today in order to keep our thief.

First, this warrior joins my group and then change my lfg description…
I had asked for experienced players. He changed it to: 80 only, no ranger, engi, necro.

Then he managed to kick the lvl 62 and 75 joining (lvl 45 dungeon) as someone apparently accepted his vote kick.

The group filled up again and we started the dungeon. After the first boss (where the warrior died) he attempted to vote kick the thief (who did absolutely nothing wrong).

Being more than just a little bit tired of his attitude, (my friend and I did not announce a speed run after all) we kicked the warrior instead and had a nice, fast and enjoyable run.

Being a mesmer and playing with a zerk warrior most of the time, the best and fastest pug runs I have had so far, includes a group with 2 necromancers and another group with 2 thieves.

I love having a good thief in my group.

(edited by Reesha.7901)

Posted by: Fossilized Amber.1352

Fossilized Amber.1352

I play the thief exclusively in dungeons. I have been kicked once because the group wanted a “berserk only” party. Whatever that action amounts to is insignificant compared to the utility a thief can provide.

I run this in dungeons:

D/D (one dagger has superior sigil of corruption (condi damage on kill))
Superior Rune of the Antitoxin (-24% condi duration, +183 condi damage, might (x6) on poison or torment)
Apocethary armor (
healing, +condi, +third attribute)
Signet of malice (works very well with death blossom)
Caltrops (good aoe bleed and cripple)
Signet of Infiltration (for init regen)
Blinding powder
Dagger storm

Traits are 0/0/25/30/15
Some of the traits are “assassins reward” (heal on init use), caltrops on roll, lose conditions while in stealth, ..

So the utility I bring to a party is superior bleed application (with death blossom), caltrops, and caltrops on dodge. I can also grant regen to allies using blinding powder (which also acts as a cover for a quick ress). Dagger storm is a great skill to block ranged attacks and give the team cover.

Don’t underestimate us.

Erebus.9276

I play the thief exclusively in dungeons. I have been kicked once because the group wanted a “berserk only” party. Whatever that action amounts to is insignificant compared to the utility a thief can provide.

I run this in dungeons:

Superior Rune of the Antitoxin (-24% condi duration, +183 condi damage, might (x6) on poison or torment)
Apocethary armor (
Blinding powder
Dagger storm

Traits are 0/0/25/30/15
Some of the traits are “assassins reward” (heal on init use), caltrops on roll, lose conditions while in stealth, ..

So the utility I bring to a party is superior bleed application (with death blossom), caltrops, and caltrops on dodge. I can also grant regen to allies using blinding powder (which also acts as a cover for a quick ress). Dagger storm is a great skill to block ranged attacks and give the team cover.

Don’t underestimate us.

^Yeah…. don’t do this.

Observe exhibit A:

Edit: pewpew…

Casual Dungeon Thief

(edited by Erebus.9276)

Fossilized Amber.1352

I find running crit / power based build makes me more squishy than anything, as it should because I don’t have many points to put in vitality or toughness. Don’t get me wrong I love big numbers but I have moved towards a condi pressure build that’s been more reliable for me.

The big damage is very nice though, it never is a bad thing =)

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Tbh I’d probably not group with a condition/healing thief either. It would make things take longer.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Fossilized Amber.1352

Death blossom with 25 stacks of bleeds does fair AoE DoT, does it not?

Posted by: prowler.4530

prowler.4530

So I am a very good PVE/Dungeon Thief. I got 48 PR in fotm ( and so many pristine relics to make a man cry) and I have done every dungeon path with my thief several times.

Thieves do get a lot of hate. Guess what? Rightfully so!!!! Most thieves suck at dungeons because they are so use to the idea of zerker thief in wvw/pvp. I personally have zerker armor but my trinkets are more tanky based. This gives me very strong dps and a reasonable tank (16k HP). However, 16k HP is still very low and because of this thieves must know when to dodge/switch weapons more than any other class.

You can melee with D/D… that’s ok but realize that if your hp <50% or if the mobs/boss has huge melee dps you should probably back away and support your group with a SB. A good thief can go from melee back to range several times in a fight and never get downed whilst also providing some high end dps. Furthermore, people tend to hate SB thieves. In single mob encounters, the SB does decent dmg…. not d/d dmg but decent nevertheless. SB is more efficient with grouped up mobs because of how the sb bounces around targets.

Last but not least, thieves are great for niche parts of dungeons. Need a cloak? No problem! I mean thieves make dredge fractal bearable since they make using the control panel easy as well as they are great at soloing the bomb path.

Remember, when you play a thief in a dungeon you better be skilled or YOU WILL get das boot.

Posted by: Mirsa.1628

Mirsa.1628

So I am a very good PVE/Dungeon Thief. I got 48 PR in fotm ( and so many pristine relics to make a man cry) and I have done every dungeon path with my thief several times.

Thieves do get a lot of hate. Guess what? Rightfully so!!!! Most thieves suck at dungeons because they are so use to the idea of zerker thief in wvw/pvp. I personally have zerker armor but my trinkets are more tanky based. This gives me very strong dps and a reasonable tank (16k HP). However, 16k HP is still very low and because of this thieves must know when to dodge/switch weapons more than any other class.

You can melee with D/D… that’s ok but realize that if your hp <50% or if the mobs/boss has huge melee dps you should probably back away and support your group with a SB. A good thief can go from melee back to range several times in a fight and never get downed whilst also providing some high end dps. Furthermore, people tend to hate SB thieves. In single mob encounters, the SB does decent dmg…. not d/d dmg but decent nevertheless. SB is more efficient with grouped up mobs because of how the sb bounces around targets.

Last but not least, thieves are great for niche parts of dungeons. Need a cloak? No problem! I mean thieves make dredge fractal bearable since they make using the control panel easy as well as they are great at soloing the bomb path.

Remember, when you play a thief in a dungeon you better be skilled or YOU WILL get das boot.

Your allocation should actually be the other way for maximum DPS – zerker trinkets and whatever armor fits your needs.

[GS] Gun Squad
Guild Master

Erebus.9276

Your allocation should actually be the other way for maximum DPS – zerker trinkets and whatever armor fits your needs.

• 16k hp is rather high, not low.
  • Maximum dps is achieved by using full berserker everything.
  • Many things can be avoided without burning dodges, in melee range.
  • You can still dodge at <50% hp.
  • Not getting hit > tanking hits.
Casual Dungeon Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

You should post specifics. Did you get kicked as soon as you joined the group? Or fighting a boss and they rage kicked you? for examples.

i got instantly kicked…and no, there was no post as “looking for heavy etc”

at the end of the day i just start dungeons myself now since it least it garantees that i don’t get kicked…but i still get asked if i could log in on other class before we even engaged any fights….

to add background info: i am at lv 48 fotm (or 49 to be exact), have 55 AR and few ascended wepons for any case, done aether path after release within 2 hours etc. it all doesn’t matter as people just want warriors and guardians… and i can’t blame them really

would love more group utility on thief tbh

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I run this in dungeons:

Apocethary armor (
Blinding powder
Dagger storm

Traits are 0/0/25/30/15

Don’t underestimate us.

if you wanna get kicked even faster, follow this advice.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: Mirsa.1628

Mirsa.1628

• 16k hp is rather high, not low.
  • Maximum dps is achieved by using full berserker everything.
  • Many things can be avoided without burning dodges, in melee range.
  • You can still dodge at <50% hp.
  • Not getting hit > tanking hits.

Of course berserker everything is better, but I was referring to your specific situation. You need extra armor so I was simply commenting on how you can maximize your damage while keeping comparable armor levels. Right now, your setup is not maximized and thus wasteful.

I didn’t mention it in my previous post but with a few exceptions, any serious dungeon group would kick you if you used shortbow. Stick with melee weapons.

[GS] Gun Squad
Guild Master

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

I run this in dungeons:

Apocethary armor (
Blinding powder
Dagger storm

Traits are 0/0/25/30/15

Don’t underestimate us.

even if i overestimate that build you’re still slowing down the party…

Ethics.4519

even if i overestimate that build you’re still slowing down the party…

Lol, I didn’t read that build till just now. That’s…. it’s…. gross. Why would you bring that into a dungeon?

Seems like you’re trying to specialize at condition killing trash mobs. That’s the opposite of what you should be aiming to do.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Oh, here’s the peach lover Ethics. Hai.
That build is awesome, don’t be a filthy elitist. After all you don’t take a thief in Arah just for the stealth during skips…
…no…
Dem bleed stacks.

Ethics.4519

That build is awesome, don’t be a filthy elitist. After all you don’t take a thief in Arah just for the stealth during skips…
…no…
Dem bleed stacks.

Peach lover eh? Seems you have been talking to lilith too much.

Dem bleed stacks are OP, almost as much as dat double discipline banner stack.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

…no…
Dem bleed stacks.

Peach lover eh? Seems you have been talking to lilith too much.

Dem bleed stacks are OP, almost as much as dat double discipline banner stack.

I’m a total fan now.
Think of all the regen to the team with those 2 discipline banners…

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

This makes me sad. Some things will never change.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid