Best Party Composition for AC (and others?)?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Squishy.3694

Squishy.3694

I ran AC earlier today with a party of two Guardians, two Mesmers and a Necro and it seemed to me that we were taking down the champs really easily. Does a ‘2 tank 2 spike and 1 condi’ format work? If not, what others do? I’m keen to learn more about dungeons and the combos that work. Please bear in mind that I’m not interested in builds more in team styles

Squishy

Quaggan finds your post inaccurate, wrong, misinformed, smelly and not as
good as Quaggan. Quaggan for President!

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

For me the fastest run is with Guard/Warr/Thief/2xEle

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Squishy.3694

So a ‘tank’ ( I don’t like that word so much ) a dps and 3 spike dps… Hmm… Do you know how long roughly it took you?

moiraine.2753

yea it is very fast because as long the tank keeps us alive with heals and reflects and we use enough skills to survive.FGS from ele and vulnerability from thief will melt the bosses like butter.
But the combination i linked you is a pre-made group.

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

Squishy.3694

@xallever I wasn’t specifically looking for a speed run team more of a team that can help each other out and can finish in a reasonable time while still doing all of the dungeon properly as opposed to just farming but I’m fine with people who do speed clear I just feel they miss out on the content

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

@xallever I wasn’t specifically looking for a speed run team more of a team that can help each other out and can finish in a reasonable time while still doing all of the dungeon properly as opposed to just farming but I’m fine with people who do speed clear I just feel they miss out on the content

Uh?

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Than swap thief out for another class and don’t skip anything.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

1+ Ele and the rest does not matter as long everybody runs META.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

xallever.1874

Uh?

Yeah. I feel like I’m stuck in the matrix.

With the same team comp (I’m not even saying it’s necessarily the best team comp) you can easily finish off Kohler, the Gravelings and the troll if it appears.

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

I ran AC earlier today with a party of two Guardians, two Mesmers and a Necro and it seemed to me that we were taking down the champs really easily. Does a ‘2 tank 2 spike and 1 condi’ format work? If not, what others do? I’m keen to learn more about dungeons and the combos that work. Please bear in mind that I’m not interested in builds more in team styles

Squishy

1 warrior, 1 elementalist and then your choice of ranger, guardian, thief or mesmer. Ideally, don’t stack more than one of any class besides elementalists. All people should be using berserker gear with damage sigils and scholar runes.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: Laar.5476

Laar.5476

Pretty much this. Properly built eles are a great backbone for a group, speed clear or not. Take a warrior for banners and whatever other classes you need for that particular path.

Avoid tanky/healing characters and condi specs like the plague, also avoid things like double mesmers and such; bring the damage and the group will be fine.

xallever.1874

Pretty much this. Properly built eles are a great backbone for a group, speed clear or not. Take a warrior for banners and whatever other classes you need for that particular path.

Avoid tanky/healing characters and condi specs like the plague, also avoid things like double mesmers and such; bring the damage and the group will be fine.

Yeah, avoid Engi and Necros in general. Try not to have a Mesmer. Then build up from 1 Warrior and 2 Eles.

So the other 2 can be either a combination of Thief, Guardian & Ranger.

A Guardian for p2 would be nice.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Mesmer, Thief, 2 Eles & Warrior. Replace Thief for Guardian if more Reflects are needed, or an Ele for Guardian if Stealth is still needed.

^ general rule I go by.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

moiraine.2753

Yeah, avoid Engi and Necros in general. Try not to have a Mesmer. Then build up from 1 Warrior and 2 Eles.

So the other 2 can be either a combination of Thief, Guardian & Ranger.

A Guardian for p2 would be nice.

A guard is a must because of your two eles you will want to pull boss in the corner to burst it with 4 fgs.Well for P2 with 2 eles if you go.
Optional is thief or ranger.It doesn’t mater which one.They both are great supporters.

xallever.1874

A guard is a must because of your two eles you will want to pull boss in the corner to burst it with 4 fgs.Well for P2 with 2 eles if you go.
Optional is thief or ranger.It doesn’t mater which one.They both are great supporters.

Is that impossible to do with a Mesmer instead of a Guardian?

I agree thief and ranger are optional. But for the stealthy skips, I prefer to have the thief.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Guard is a must in AC for … what?
At spider it doesn’t matter.
Kohler can be skipped.
The 3 end boss needs to be pulled in a good way, no matter what class do you have.

moiraine.2753

Xallever@
Yes mesmer’s feedback can work but the problem is that the class doesn’t have any healing spells.So when the reflect finishes and if the group takes too much dmg by accident and their healing spells are on cd?in this situation guard will heal and will give aegis.

Dalanor@
Ok i will rephrase.Guardian is not a must but is highly recommended.Especially for a pre-made group doing a speed clear.
Pug group can go without a guard yes.In P2 you also may not pull last boss in the corner but that is the most efficient way.

xallever.1874

Xallever@
Yes mesmer’s feedback can work but the problem is that the class doesn’t have any healing spells.So when the reflect finishes and if the group takes too much dmg by accident and their healing spells are on cd?in this situation guard will heal and will give aegis.

Yeah… That doesn’t happen in the proper meta. All the reflects that you need will be covered as long as you properly feedback, iWarden and Time Warp.

Guard for p2 is nice to have at the trap part.

Healing is DPS loss and in most situations you don’t need it.

(edited by xallever.1874)

moiraine.2753

Xallever@

Yeah… That doesn’t happen in the proper meta. All the reflects that you need will be covered as long as you properly feedback, iWarden and Time Warp.

Guard for p2 is nice to have at the trap part.

Healing is DPS loss and in most situations you don’t need it.

Exactly but dps loss or not it doesn’t really matter,because you have 4 fgs to cover for it

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

I like mesmer for AC p2, since feedback can ruin the final boss fairly easily without any pulls to the wall for FGS rush. Mesmer is pretty bad in most other AC paths though, since bosses die before phantasms go up, and reflections aren’t really necessary.

Two ele + guard + warr + XXX is the best composition in most places (all doing full DPS builds obviously). XXX can be thief, another ele, a ranger, or a mesmer depending on the situation.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

You don’t really need a Guard in AC but it’s not a bad one to use. Perhaps best to bring one while you get used to playing with your team though. Mess around with comp though. There is variation from some groups to others.

Like others have said, as long as you’re in Meta, you should do just fine. You’re not looking for super speed clears it seems, so don’t sweat it.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Eles are great for AC, nothing else really necessary, though I do like a guard for the final fights, p1 Purging Flames + absolute resolution, I can get 3 nearly instant cures if people screw up and get confusion. And p3 the stability is very nice.

I still always like the Ele, Mes, Guard, War, Thief setup, balanced and ready for anything.

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

5 eles

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

Eles are great for AC, nothing else really necessary, though I do like a guard for the final fights, p1 Purging Flames + absolute resolution, I can get 3 nearly instant cures if people screw up and get confusion. And p3 the stability is very nice.

I still always like the Ele, Mes, Guard, War, Thief setup, balanced and ready for anything.

I’m quite concerned with what kind of machine people play GW2 if they can’t avoid the Howler’s Breathlazerthing. If you get KD’d by little Gravelings, something is terrible wrong with either your teams positioning or your DPS and simply getting hit by it will most likely burn through a zerker ele. For p3, doesn’t he die in about the very first Fiercy Rush?

I agree with Spoj, FGS burns those bosses so fast. Slightly more serious I’d say Warrior (Banners are just too strong, especially Discipline, Vulnerability is sweet aswell) and Thief (Strong, efficient Spiderpull, quick movement on p1 Scepter Pieces and traps before Kohler, over-all good DPS) and fill the rest with Elementalist for more DPS. Provides plenty of Swiftness for the skipping aswell.

But any team can clear AC and should be able to clear it in a reasonable time. I do find it nice to see there’re still people that believe Tanks/Healers actually help the group, especially if they stay away from ‘zerker only’ groups.

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

2 warriors with strength and precision banners.
1 Ranger with spotter and frost spirit.
1 Elementalist with FGS and Ice Bow.
5th slot varies by dungeon. Guardian for reflects and stabilities. Mesmer for reflects, time warp, and the occasional portal. Thief for stealth.

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Five Elementalists :P

Posted by: Scorpion Over Lord.9036

Scorpion Over Lord.9036

2 eles so the group has 4 fgs’s, might stacking, fury and vun stacking.
1 thief for vun stacking via sundering strikes, stealth and smoke screen to absorb projectiles.
1 war to bring 2 banners and empower allies for 150 power to the group.
5th can be either a 3rd ele, guard, ranger…mesmer for cof and arah. Guard is good for some dungeons but is not totally nessesary for all but can help when a group is still learning parts.

moiraine.2753

For me for dungeons the best composition is:

• ele
  • warr
  • guard
  • thief
  • mesmer or ranger

But yes there is but.The group composition should be easily switched.For instance some dungeons need two eles because you will do them faster.Other dungeons have different requirements so you will go only with one ele and the other one will change to some another class.

For instance in AC is good to have 2 eles but in CoF is better to have a mesmer replacing one of the eles and also swaping the guard to a ranger.So basically the composition will change.Different dungeons require different things.
Lets take now for example CM there is highly recommended to have thief with you.
I repeat different dungeons have different needs.

The PvE meta is made of 6 classes – warr/ele/thief/guar/mesmer/ranger

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

AC? 4 Eles, 1 Mesmer.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

For my AC group I run 2x Ele, 1 Warrior, 1 Thief, 1 Wild Card

Wild Card:
1. Guard
2. Ranger
3. Mesmer

I never run with a necro since they don’t have a lot of team utility compared to the other 7 professions out there. Guard has good dps with great support and defensive utilities (aegis, reflects). Ranger is great for spotter and frost spirit to help the team on top of dual banner warrior. Mesmer is ok but I feel that for the last spot you should run ranger or guardian since with 2x Ele you can dps things down fast without the need for Time Warp

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

Yeah, Mesmer is not needed for AC (except maybe for P2?). Mesmer is good for CM / SE / CoF / CoE / Arah and FotM

Posted by: Bloodyhell.8760

Bloodyhell.8760

I’d say 2 war 1 mesm 1 ele 1 guard and you can practically run every dungeon with or without skipping/stacking.

If not skipping/stacking guard healer otherwise he can be brskr if enough damage is put out.
the rest all full meta set.
Only somethime, in dredge 49 fractal way, you’ll need a thief instead of a war.

Btw, if you don’t want to fast run everything, just enjoy with your preferit classes and learn how to run everydungeon with it.
Is possible and enjoying.

Dub.1273

Yeah, Mesmer is not needed for AC (except maybe for P2?). Mesmer is good for CM / SE / CoF / CoE / Arah and FotM

Oh dear, wrong you are.

Dub | [rT]

Jeremlloyd.6837

Oh dear, wrong you are.

Am I? I know mesmer is far from being a very good class for speed clear but anywhere you can use portal / reflects to speed up a run, a mesmer is useful. And these are the dungeon I think a mesmer can bring something to speed up a run. But ofc it’s not good for every paths, there’s a few paths mesmer is good at (CM 1/3, SE 1/3, CoF 1/2, CoE all paths, Arah 3, Cliffside, Mai Trin, Aetherblade, Swampland:Bloomhunger, Uncategorized, Underground Facility and maybe Volcanic fractal).

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Mesmer on P2 saves lot of time…
Pugs doesn t get it :/
You don t even need to stack, the boss will be dead in less time he would require to get to pillar.

Also mesmer has really high dps (tops an ele without FGS) in every situation reflect is involved or it can keep illusion alive.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

maxinion.8396

The other caveat, Byron, is that you have time to summon your phants. The windup time on Mesmer to get to full dps is longer than many boss fights (except in fractals, where this matters less and mesmers are better because of it).

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

It takes the same time to cast 4 skills…

Phantasm on weapon 1
Phantasm on weapon 2
Signet
Phantasm on weapon 2

no cd involved

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

maxinion.8396

It takes the same time to cast 4 skills…

Phantasm on weapon 1
Phantasm on weapon 2
Signet
Phantasm on weapon 2

no cd involved

Still slower than a good boss run, and you’re doing no dps yourself while it happens. This is less of an issue in pugs, but good groups can clear faster the the chain of the cast times above.

Again, in Arah and Fractals, this is less of an issue.

Dub.1273

One mesmer speeds up AC path 1 the most, relatively to other dungeons. There’s not only one portal to be used, but even two or three. An optimal AC path 1 run would take about 3 minutes and something, with a mesmer, about a minute or one and a half longer without.

Dub | [rT]

Jeremlloyd.6837

I see, that’s good to know! I’ll try to see how to use the mesmer to do a 3 min AC p1. Thanks for the tip!

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

portal from the boss to Reliquary Waypoint?

Dub.1273

portal from the boss to Reliquary Waypoint?

Wish that was possible, it bugs out the “explore the graveling tunnels” event if you go there too fast or don’t go there at all.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

3x ele and 1 mesmer to run ahead with portal. Don’t need a 5th.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom