CoE path 3 - Destroyer Boss

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

The Destroyer Boss in CoE takes ages to kill it. Is this intented? I think the mechanics are fine (3 people at lasers 2 kill or shoot lasers and everyone goes down). I like the boss, it is a challenge and a good change from other bosses, but it has way too much HP for only being able to hit it for a short time.
Also it is hard to find groups willing to do path 3 because of this boss and if you want groups often the coordination is horrible and someone ragequits.

If the boss had 50% less HP path3 could be done in about the same time as the other paths and groups would be easier to find.

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

Been a while since I done this path but I believe you have to drag some mini golems with a gun to the boss so it explodes on the boss and therefore damage it faster?

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Been a while since I done this path but I believe you have to drag some mini golems with a gun to the boss so it explodes on the boss and therefore damage it faster?

You are thinking of the wrong boss. That boss you are talking about is the husk boss. Path 3 has a destroyer boss that can only be attacked after firing 3 lasers from a distance and then wailing on him. It’s hard because the shield pops up again very quickly and you have lava surrounding you which leads to a lot of waypoint zerg rushing if you get pushed out and die.

Also, with the new patch this path is going to be horrid because you can’t individually waypoint anymore. Once two of your attackers die. The whole team will have to wipe—which will suck.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You are thinking of the wrong boss. That boss you are talking about is the husk boss. Path 3 has a destroyer boss that can only be attacked after firing 3 lasers from a distance and then wailing on him. It’s hard because the shield pops up again very quickly and you have lava surrounding you which leads to a lot of waypoint zerg rushing if you get pushed out and die.

Also, with the new patch this path is going to be horrid because you can’t individually waypoint anymore. Once two of your attackers die. The whole team will have to wipe—which will suck.

… and fully reset to boss?

I don’t think the whole team has to wipe. They just have to drop combat. This means having to run out of the room. It would also mean that it would be better to kill the Champion Destroyer Crab otherwise you’ll have to run pass in both directions.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

The Destroyer Boss in CoE takes ages to kill it. Is this intented? I think the mechanics are fine (3 people at lasers 2 kill or shoot lasers and everyone goes down). I like the boss, it is a challenge and a good change from other bosses, but it has way too much HP for only being able to hit it for a short time.
Also it is hard to find groups willing to do path 3 because of this boss and if you want groups often the coordination is horrible and someone ragequits.

If the boss had 50% less HP path3 could be done in about the same time as the other paths and groups would be easier to find.

He already has 50% less HP than other legendary bosses.

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

Oh yeah, he’s not that bad its 3-2dps on boss. It is kinda slow now that I think about it.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: Kalas.6743

Kalas.6743

This boss is easy compared to Alpha at the end of part 3. Last time I did it with a group most of us had ranged weapons and just ranged him from up top. Alpha was terrible, too much aoe/crystal and not enough room to move around in.

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Main issue is that organized groups burst him down really quickly, it usually takes us 3 cycles, and sometimes 2 on a good day. So if you reduce his hp further certain groups can kill him in one time warp.

He’s really not that bad once you get some experience on him, it’s alot faster sending down all 5 people if you have melee heavy dps.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I did it recently. I dreaded this encounter because pretty much every post I read about it talked about how long we took to kill, that his health was way too high, etc.

We did it and defeated him rather quickly.
I asked my guildies why players were complaining so much for such a quick fight. They told me the horrible reality : in PuGs only 2 players attack the destroyer while the other 3 use the lasers…Why would you do that ?

How can you even fall into the lava more than once ? The AoE attacks give you plenty of time to get out of the way and I’ll admit that the first time you try to get out of the main platform you might jump at the wrong spot. But aside from that, it’s a pretty easy thing to do.

ArcTheFallen.7682

I did it recently. I dreaded this encounter because pretty much every post I read about it talked about how long we took to kill, that his health was way too high, etc.

We did it and defeated him rather quickly.
I asked my guildies why players were complaining so much for such a quick fight. They told me the horrible reality : in PuGs only 2 players attack the destroyer while the other 3 use the lasers…Why would you do that ?

How can you even fall into the lava more than once ? The AoE attacks give you plenty of time to get out of the way and I’ll admit that the first time you try to get out of the main platform you might jump at the wrong spot. But aside from that, it’s a pretty easy thing to do.

Some ppl aren’t good at spacing between the shield which apparently pushes you into the lava ruthlessly. I think that’s the main source of deaths.

RedStar.4218

Some ppl aren’t good at spacing between the shield which apparently pushes you into the lava ruthlessly. I think that’s the main source of deaths.

It’s a matter of observation. The shield pulses 4 times (or 3?) before being renewed. Of course, by the first pulse I was already out, but some of my guildies stayed in till the last moment.

And if someone isn’t good at something like this, they should train. It’s like players saying “oh I’m not even going to try to jump the laser grid, I’m bad at it”. Of course you are bad at it, but if you don’t practice, how can you get better ?

ArcTheFallen.7682

It’s a matter of observation. The shield pulses 4 times (or 3?) before being renewed. Of course, by the first pulse I was already out, but some of my guildies stayed in till the last moment.

And if someone isn’t good at something like this, they should train. It’s like players saying “oh I’m not even going to try to jump the laser grid, I’m bad at it”. Of course you are bad at it, but if you don’t practice, how can you get better ?

Lol I don’t disagree with you. This is mainly a L2P issue, but it’s less forgiving compared to others because you put the whole team behind if you die which can be frustrating for a person and his/her team.

RedStar.4218

Lol I don’t disagree with you. This is mainly a L2P issue, but it’s less forgiving compared to others because you put the whole team behind if you die which can be frustrating for a person and his/her team.

That’s why whatever new path I was doing, I wanted to do it with a full guild team. At least you can try whatever you want and they won’t yell at you too much (if you aren’t in an evil guild).

You could always train for this by doing annoying jumping puzzle (Iron Marche, Metrica, Caledon, at good 25% of them).

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

You can actually count to 5 when the shield starts pulsing before running out. In my video I think I counted to 4 seconds but you can actually push it a bit more and stay until 5 if you position yourself by one of the 2 red platforms to quickly get out.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I don’t think the whole team has to wipe. They just have to drop combat. This means having to run out of the room. It would also mean that it would be better to kill the Champion Destroyer Crab otherwise you’ll have to run pass in both directions.

You don’t even have to run out of the room, going back to a laser or to a corner of the room is usually enough to put you out of combat.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You don’t even have to run out of the room, going back to a laser or to a corner of the room is usually enough to put you out of combat.

Now that I think about I think I did drop out of combat there but I was still being targeted by the Dragon’s Tooth so I am not sure what is going on there. I forgot to check the combat log but I assumed that attack was from the Destroyer.

As for Subject Alpha, it seems fine to me on all paths but that was done with mostly melee and no pets of any kind. As for practicing the fight against the destroyer, I guess I could but I couldn’t find any appeal in that. Learning to fight some of the bosses is fun but for some reason there just wasn’t any appeal for that fight. It was more of a “meh … lets just get this over with and forget it exists”. I can’t decide between Simin and Evolved Destroyer for my least favorite boss fight.

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

It really is a learn to play issue. That’s why the most pug groups fail. And some people are reeeaaally clumsy

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

He isn’t that bad in my opinion. It’s just that pugs try to use only 2 DPS while the other 3 players camp cannon.

When really the cannon players should be running to the Stairs and ranging the boss. If I am able to do that on a Thief with Shortbow, you can do it with your 1200-range whatever.

The process is also sped up with Rangers due to the fact Pets can stand in Lava and melee him while you can range him with short/longbow.

Posted by: Ashur Etil Lani.4518

Ashur Etil Lani.4518

As someone with problems with depth perception its not so much a l2p issue. I and others don’t see the leaps needed in one glance. This compounded with the red colouring makes the needed jumps a hell for me so I stay on top.
We have to guess to make our jumps. Thats why I hate cliff side fractal I don’t see the ledgers as most people do and some of the jumping puzzles are almost impossible for me to finish.
Cliff side is one of the reasons I stopped doing fractals.

Posted by: pdfrod.1948

pdfrod.1948

This boss definitely needs a revamp, as every now and then a thread comes up complaining about the boredom of this fight. Examples:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Path-3-CoE-Evolved-Destroyer

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/COE-path-3-destroyer-boss-boring

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I like the concept of the boss and at least it’s faster than Bjarl the Rampager, but I don’t like that he poses absoloutely zero threat to your group (As he doesn’t reset) outside of your skill to stand on a sliver of ground between lava and shield. Especially considering he doesn’t reset, it makes him literally just a time buffer between you and the end of the dungeon, if that makes sense. He also has far too much health. I have no idea how you would fix him as a boss without a major overhaul though – making him reset would cause everyone to play extremely cautiously and therefore take upwards of 30 minues on his heal pool.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

RedStar.4218

This boss definitely needs a revamp, as every now and then a thread comes up complaining about the boredom of this fight.

This boss doesn’t need a revamp. Players are slowing themselves down because they don’t want to take any sort of risk.
I can’t say anything for those suffering from depth perception problems (because I don’t have that) but for everyone else, it’s a matter of trying, failing and finally being able to do it.

Posted by: pdfrod.1948

pdfrod.1948

I can’t say anything for those suffering from depth perception problems (because I don’t have that) but for everyone else, it’s a matter of trying, failing and finally being able to do it.

Failing what? Since the boss doesn’t reset, every group can win no matter how bad they perform. As it is right now, it’s just a time sink.

RedStar.4218

Failing what? Since the boss doesn’t reset, every group can win no matter how bad they perform. As it is right now, it’s just a time sink.

Failing trying to melee the boss and getting out in time.

This encounter is as much a time sink as most other boss in the game, except that some PuGs prefer to really play it safe by only having 2 players attack it.