Damage

Damage

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DingoVad.1945

DingoVad.1945

So when it comes to damage, which proffesion is best at doing so? I´ve heard thiefs should do a great job, but still people seems to hate thiefs.. alot..
Which prof does great at dealing damage in boss fights?

Dingo Dimrys

Damage

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Warriors.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Damage

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Definately rangers with warrior banners.

Damage

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Pretty much every profession can do a lot of damage if you build them right.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Damage

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

There’s a difference between being able to deal a lot of damage and being able to deal a lot of damage while supporting your team at the same time. Not every proffesion has the latter build.

Damage

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Warriors.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Damage

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

Attachments:

Damage

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Retired. Too many casuals.

Damage

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

Rock will be in solid demand once Anet is done balancing. Every class will be equal in damage.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

Damage

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

There’s a difference between being able to deal a lot of damage and being able to deal a lot of damage while supporting your team at the same time. Not every proffesion has the latter build.

You’re changing the subject.

Damage

haviz.1340

How so?

Damage

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Rangers sweeping the streets.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Damage

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Two professions has been brought up in the replies. One of them is the legit answer, then other one is 100% troll answer. Can you tell which is which?

btw, people hate thieves because most thief players are bad and they don’t bring much to the group.

Oceanic [LOD]

Damage

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Two professions has been brought up in the replies. One of them is the legit answer, then other one is 100% troll answer. Can you tell which is which?

btw, people hate thieves because most thief players are bad and they don’t bring much to the group.

I’d say thieves are second only to rangers for the likelihood of being babby pew-pew-pew players at range. every SB/pistolpistol thief makes me want to die.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Damage

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

How so?

You’ve brought up having to support the team on a pure DPS build. He’s not asking about support. He’s asking about damage. Support is irrelevant here.

Damage

Dub.1273

How so?

You’ve brought up having to support the team on a pure DPS build. He’s not asking about support. He’s asking about damage. Support is irrelevant here.

“Support” helps increasing team damage and therefore isn’t irrelevant.

Dub | [rT]

Damage

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

How so?

The only “support” that helps increase team damage is the “support” that is used individually to build up damage in the first place. Heals don’t increase DPS.

Damage

Dub.1273

They do. Aswell as Aegis and Protection do.

Dub | [rT]

Damage

haviz.1340

By support I don’t mean aegis, projectile defense and other defensive skills. You can make your elementalist one of the highest dps spec in the game but without support it loses quite a lot of damage potential. Same with probably every other class except warrior.

Damage

spoj.9672

Tbf the op didnt ask for the class that provides dps and support. They just asked for the highest dps class. Answer is warrior and ele (if supported effectively).

Damage

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

For DPS, no other class except warriors.

Warriors can be better when surrounded by other supporting classes that help keep the warrior off his back.

But for pure DPS, warrior hands down. My zerked out Engie puts out what I would call a joke DPS compared to that of a warrior. But my Engie can put out respectable DPS while offering some decent support.

Damage

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

How so?

The only “support” that helps increase team damage is the “support” that is used individually to build up damage in the first place. Heals don’t increase DPS.

This is so dumb. The more risk you can mitigate for your team, the higher their melee uptime. If you don’t bring guardians to melee Mossman, his autoattacks will constantly put the group at a chance to be gibbed by the next autoattacl. Healing, protection, and block prevent that and allow them to stay in melee whereas if it were absent they’d be forced to go ranged.

Thief can arguably get higher single target than warrior, but the warrior is practical. His damage cannot be nerfed by bad positioning from other teammates, whereas your backstab can be ruined by someone turning the boss at the wrong time.

Warriors also have the better sustained cleave since for some reason warrior axe does the dagger’s damage yet it cleaves unlike the thief’s dagger which is single target.

Warriors also bring all these utilities boosting the offensive capacity of the group.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Damage

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

How so?

This is so dumb. The more risk you can mitigate for your team, the higher their melee uptime. If you don’t bring guardians to melee Mossman, his autoattacks will constantly put the group at a chance to be gibbed by the next autoattacl. Healing, protection, and block prevent that and allow them to stay in melee whereas if it were absent they’d be forced to go ranged.

Thief can arguably get higher single target than warrior, but the warrior is practical. His damage cannot be nerfed by bad positioning from other teammates, whereas your backstab can be ruined by someone turning the boss at the wrong time.

Warriors also have the better sustained cleave since for some reason warrior axe does the dagger’s damage yet it cleaves unlike the thief’s dagger which is single target.

Warriors also bring all these utilities boosting the offensive capacity of the group.

Your case is that you have to have non-pure damage specs for some content. Not what classes can have good DPS. Every class can have good DPS. Different classes can bring different utilities to the table that are better in different circumstances, but that falls into the “No crap, Sherlock!” department.

I have a hard time thinking of a damage build that doesn’t do that. You bring up D/P or D/D thief for damage. You know what the thief brings to the table? Stealth + healing in Shadow Refuge, spammable blind fields with the offhand pistol, projectile blocking with smoke screen, projectile reflection with dagger storm, etc. You bring up warriors using axes, but the fact is a warrior can’t maintain a permanent blind field that lets them face tank up to 5 enemies indefinitely. It’s a tactic I’ve been using to dungeon run for forever on my thief: Bring Sword/Pistol, use black powder, then just pistol whip the blinded enemies to oblivion at point blank range.

Damage

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

A warrior will support the team by giving the entire team more DPS via banners, FGJ, Emower allies. I’m not sure why you would say Haviz is off-topic.

Warrior is your best choice, OP. I wouldn’t bother with an ele.

Damage

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m not saying he’s off topic. I’m saying he’s changing the subject. The topic is still DPS.

Damage

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I’m not saying he’s off topic. I’m saying he’s changing the subject. The topic is still DPS.

Attachments:

Damage

swiftpaw.6397

/facepalm.

Damage

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

wat… /facedesk

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Damage

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

How so?

Your case is that you have to have non-pure damage specs for some content. Not what classes can have good DPS. Every class can have good DPS. Different classes can bring different utilities to the table that are better in different circumstances, but that falls into the “No crap, Sherlock!” department.

I have a hard time thinking of a damage build that doesn’t do that. You bring up D/P or D/D thief for damage. You know what the thief brings to the table? Stealth + healing in Shadow Refuge, spammable blind fields with the offhand pistol, projectile blocking with smoke screen, projectile reflection with dagger storm, etc. You bring up warriors using axes, but the fact is a warrior can’t maintain a permanent blind field that lets them face tank up to 5 enemies indefinitely. It’s a tactic I’ve been using to dungeon run for forever on my thief: Bring Sword/Pistol, use black powder, then just pistol whip the blinded enemies to oblivion at point blank range.

Nope. The guardian is still on berserker with offensive traits. The support comes from his weaponset and utilities, not gear or traits.

And why in hell would I ever bring a D/P thief over a D/D one for PvE?

You don’t need those blind fields because the 3 warriors and the guardian kill everything so fast that survival is not even an issue. Guardians mitigate burst. The difference between a guardian mitigating for a group and a thief doing so is that conditions, unlike boons, have extremely nerfed durations on bosses so conditions like weakness and blind become completely useless.

The only condition that is worth anything in a dungeon is vulnerability, and warriors stack it best.

Thief’s smoke screen also only absorbs projectiles, unlike guardian wall which reflects it and thus adds to the dps of the group. Smoke Screen is still a decent utility, but a group will always bring 3 warriors if only because banners are exclusive in their benefits — no other class brings increases to primary stats, no class can stack might and fury and vulnerability while doing the damage a warrior does.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Damage

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Thieves buffed by warriors. So warriors.

Damage

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Speaking of strictly damage, not support/survivibility…Zerk geared warriors would be number one.

Damage

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Thieves running Dual Pistols whilst putting everything into Iniative gaining to spam unload.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Damage

Wukunlin.8461

my brain

Oceanic [LOD]

Damage

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

my brain

Since apparently multiple people don’t understand what is going on, I’ll elaborate. His counter-point is that not every class can run a high damage build because not every class has good support skills. This is attempting to distract from the point that all classes can, indeed, do damage. Now they are attempting to discuss how it is the support skills can make one class more viable than another class, still attempting to distract from the point. The point being that all classes can do high damage. Period.

Damage

spoj.9672

He did change the subject. Whether he intended to or not, what he said wasnt what the op asked.

Damage

Wukunlin.8461

The point being that all classes can do high damage. Period.

but isn’t OP asking about which class can deal the highest damage? and I think what haviz meant was, every class can maximize their damage output but warrior are best at maximizing the whole team’s damage output at the same time. Since this is posted in the dungeon section, it was probably assumed that OP was asking which class can contribute most dps in a dungeon run.

Oceanic [LOD]

(edited by Wukunlin.8461)

Damage

Delay.6908

my brain

Since apparently multiple people don’t understand what is going on, I’ll elaborate. His counter-point is that not every class can run a high damage build because not every class has good support skills. This is attempting to distract from the point that all classes can, indeed, do damage. Now they are attempting to discuss how it is the support skills can make one class more viable than another class, still attempting to distract from the point. The point being that all classes can do high damage. Period.

The OP asked which class can do the best damage, and since warrior both have good damage and a lot of offensive support, they do the most alone. Compared to theives which do more single target damage IF they are buffed (supported) by a warrior through might/furry/banners. So support is important since warriors use their (offensive) support abilities to boost their damage

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Damage

spoj.9672

my brain

The OP asked which class can do the best damage, and since warrior both have good damage and a lot of offensive support, they do the most alone. Compared to theives which do more single target damage IF they are buffed (supported) by a warrior through might/furry/banners. So support is important since warriors use their (offensive) support abilities to boost their damage

Bloods answer might not of been correct, but haviz did change the subject lol. Read the ops post then haviz’s post. Its not what the op was asking for even though its an important topic.

Damage

haviz.1340

You can run the highest dps specs in the game but you need a team to leech from.

Damage

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

He did change the subject. Whether he intended to or not, what he said wasnt what the op asked.

Do you really think that direct damage and offensive support are somehow different?

If you give your group Might/Fury that extra damage is caused by you. This also applies to defensive support.

Damage

spoj.9672

I repeat :

Is not an answer which relates to the op’s original question :

Which prof does great at dealing damage in boss fights?

The answer he wanted was simply a warrior. but warrior, eles and other classes need offensive support to maximise that potential….

Im not saying what haviz said is wrong and that buffs and support isnt important. Its just not what the topic is asking about hence why blood said he changed the subject. Dont know how i can make that any clearer.

edit: Also haviz was completely right to mention it as its helpful info. But you guys seem to be failing to see why Blood called him out for changing the subject. It seemed like a pretty out of nowhere response to me…. :/

(edited by spoj.9672)

Damage

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Nope. The guardian is still on berserker with offensive traits. The support comes from his weaponset and utilities, not gear or traits.

And why in hell would I ever bring a D/P thief over a D/D one for PvE?

You don’t need those blind fields because the 3 warriors and the guardian kill everything so fast that survival is not even an issue. Guardians mitigate burst. The difference between a guardian mitigating for a group and a thief doing so is that conditions, unlike boons, have extremely nerfed durations on bosses so conditions like weakness and blind become completely useless.

The only condition that is worth anything in a dungeon is vulnerability, and warriors stack it best.

Thief’s smoke screen also only absorbs projectiles, unlike guardian wall which reflects it and thus adds to the dps of the group. Smoke Screen is still a decent utility, but a group will always bring 3 warriors if only because banners are exclusive in their benefits — no other class brings increases to primary stats, no class can stack might and fury and vulnerability while doing the damage a warrior does.

I never mentioned D/P. The peferred weapon set for dungeons is s/p, since it cleaves and outdamages backstab very quickly. Backstab only has a tooltip damage of 806, whereas Pistol Whip has a tooltip damage of 1062 and also does this in a cleave and isn’t ruined by enemy positioning. This makes it far outdamage D/anything in the long run.

You’re also bringing up an arbitrary group composition from nowhere. If you’re not going to judge classes on their individual basis, you might as well say “4 warriors + 1 mesmer” and end that nonsense immediately.

But regardless, I have seen zerker warriors and zerker guardians fall in dungeons, and I have seen them fall together to silver mobs. A lot of the guardian’s mitigation is based on targeting, so frequently a warrior will get focused and downed. Also, the only conditions that have a reduced duration on champions are Vulnerability and Weakness. This alone means a thief can easily achieve 50% uptime with weakness on a champion. What the thief also provides is defiant stripping with the off-hand pistol, indefinite dodges with the Shortbow or Sword/Dagger combination should one opt to it, and also an absolute form of aggro mitigation with stealth. While Smoke Screen only destroys projectiles, it also blinds enemies that stand inside of it and also causes blind from projectiles going through it, making it defensively superior to Wall of Reflection. Thieves do have a reflection kill in Dagger Storm, though, so this can also add to the DPS of the team. This is assuming they don’t use Basilisk Venom, the only stun that bypasses defiant, or Thieves Guild for a large increase in damage. Then again, most good players switch their utilities depending on what is needed at that point.

Damage

swiftpaw.6397

Ya’ all are changing the topic to whether or not someone is changing the topic. GG.

Damage

spoj.9672

Ya’ all are changing the topic to whether or not someone is changing the topic. GG.

Oh snap!

Damage

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Damage

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Yes.
Buffed by fire fields and warriors.

Damage

Delay.6908

For it to do the crazy damage it does it still needs some warrior support. So its not that good solo, still powerful though.

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Damage

swiftpaw.6397

Damage

Delay.6908

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Damage

swiftpaw.6397

Dont nerf the banner, pls nerf the op rangers using it.

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)