Dear Devs, Dungeon Clarifications Needed

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Eve.1029

Eve.1029

Q:

First off, I’m loving that tokens are now account bound. It’s good to know that devs are listening to the players and responding. However, with all the new changes, most of it is confusing and not explained. We’re not sure what’s added, what’s kept, or removed.

Please let us know how all aspects of the current system is working

1. Diminishing returns now apply to exp, kinah, and tokens?
  2. Conditions for experiencing diminishing return
    * Path selection: are diminishing return still suppose to reset by alternating paths within the same dungeon? If not, what’s the Cooldown after running a certain path?
    * Speed running: DR for completing ONE dungeon under x minutes? or DR for completing Two or more dungeons under x minutes?
  3. Conditions for experiencing Bonus tokens
    * Bonus tokens for each unique path?
    * any other conditions we need to be aware of?
  4. Are Cooldowns on a daily reset or 24 hour timer?
    * Bonus tokens: daily reset for 24 hrs from last path completion?
    * If alternating paths no longer resets path reward reduction OR someone just ran path 2 and waited, how long until they can run that path again w/o reduction?

Clear answers to these questions would really help. Also ability for us to check our own dungeon status would be invaluable. Here’s my suggestion for a /checkstatus based off of a instance info check I liked attached to this post.

Penalty: time until you can run the same path again if you did not do another path. Should reset to none once you complete a different path based on old dungeon rules.

Wait time: time until bonus can be collected again.

Time to no speed penalty for next dungeon completion: self explanatory.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zaber.5609

Zaber.5609

Bump this thread, the questions in it truly shows the concern of most players.

Posted by: Isoril.8942

Isoril.8942

Why is there even a pentalty to begin with?

An organized group completed a dungeon in record time. <—- this deserves a punishment? wth?

If there was a bug/exploit being abused why not fix that instead of ^

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

The system is not intended to punish players who manage to beat a chain very quickly through their skill. But if that group then decided to start speed clearing that path, it’s supposed to diminish their returns.
It’s use is as more of an insurance policy against future exploits or bugs.

It is currently not our plan to outline how the DR system works, because doing as such provides those intending on exploiting the system with bits of information they could use to circumvent it.

Posted by: Jim Travakh.7495

Jim Travakh.7495

While I can agree with that sentiment in some ways, is it intended for the first run of any given explorable path on a day to yield anything other than 60 tokens? Because that was a bug many of my groups encountered with inconsistent rewards on completion.

Posted by: Isoril.8942

Isoril.8942

You might consider checking the code on this diminishing system so that it doesn’t carry over to other paths seeing as it does currently now.

Posted by: Taihaku.8412

Taihaku.8412

I think the diminishing returns system would be great if it was only in one path.

The problem is the diminishing returns occur when you run different explorable mode paths of the same instance. Please fix this.

Posted by: patasde.6087

patasde.6087

I think the diminishing returns system would be great if it was only in one path.

The problem is the diminishing returns occur when you run different explorable mode paths of the same instance. Please fix this.

that DR thing occur even i u go to dungeon first time after few days its completely broken

Posted by: Nebilim.5127

Nebilim.5127

The system is not intended to punish players who manage to beat a chain very quickly through their skill. But if that group then decided to start speed clearing that path, it’s supposed to diminish their returns.

It is currently not our plan to outline how the DR system works, because doing as such provides those intending on exploiting the system with bits of information they could use to circumvent it.

Do you truly think they won’t discover how it works sooner or later? All of this is just punishing legitimate players. I have no idea when my timer will be up and i’m still getting shafted rewards even after days that i did a dungeon. This is very very frustrating. Why am i getting diminished returns even after all this wait? Is there a dps or something similar in place now?

I feel like giving up on dungeons and never doing it again.

The world is teeming with unnecessary people.
It is God’s decision that i fight.
As knight of honor, as protector of the sin. I sacrifice myself, for the blood of criminals.

Jim Travakh.7495

Do you truly think they won’t discover how it works sooner or later? All of this is just punishing legitimate players. I have no idea when my timer will be up and i’m still getting shafted rewards even after days that i did a dungeon.

That’s kind of surprising, given that the latest patch has been out for about sixteen hours.

I’m fairly sure it’s supposed to reset daily, but that’s why I’m asking to confirm

Posted by: Kuishen.6140

Kuishen.6140

@Robert Hrouda:

Well that is very clearly not how it’s working so it would go a long way to either acknowledge that there is a bug that is causing people to get hit with the DR system even though they only do one of each path per day, or outline exactly how it’s supposed to work so we can submit accurate bug reports to you guys. We can’t do the latter if we don’t actually know if it’s a bug.

According to the information you gave us here in this thread, it is, but in other threads I see other Devs giving conflicting information.

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

This is ridiculous. I’m done. I’ve been in these forums all day and this just clinched it. I’ll try again in a week and see if this is fixed. I can’t believe the legitimate players are being punished so severely over some people getting worthless cosmetic items faster than others. I’m sorry you have no idea how to design a dungeon so that we want to play it for more than just rewards. This game is going downhill so fast. Goodbye. See all of you in a week assuming that some heads get unstuck and the player base magically becomes important again.

Posted by: Thorn.7963

Thorn.7963

Robert, the system is clearly not working as intended, and all its doing is upsetting fans.

Why not just put it on the dungeons that can be abused for speed clearing?

Nebilim.5127

Do you truly think they won’t discover how it works sooner or later? All of this is just punishing legitimate players. I have no idea when my timer will be up and i’m still getting shafted rewards even after days that i did a dungeon.

That’s kind of surprising, given that the latest patch has been out for about sixteen hours.

I’m fairly sure it’s supposed to reset daily, but that’s why I’m asking to confirm

Hi there hammerknife :P. How is the guild? How many people active? i really need a dungeon guild now. With all this restrictions put in place, it is even more frustrating doing with PUGs.

Yeah i think i’m permanently bugged. Last time i did a dungeon was CM story mode 4~5 days ago. Today i complete 1 path of AC explo mode, 45 tokens as reward and 19 silver, 1 hour and min to complete it. I complete the 2 path and i get 30 tokens and 9 silver. Now we will have to wait 1 more week of shafted rewards. And that’s not even a guarantee that the bug will be fixed.

I will try one last time tomorrow AC. If it is still bugged, i’m done with dungeons. I’m going to give a break for 1 month to allow anet to pick all the pieces and stitch together.

As knight of honor, as protector of the sin. I sacrifice myself, for the blood of criminals.

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

While I can agree with that sentiment in some ways, is it intended for the first run of any given explorable path on a day to yield anything other than 60 tokens? Because that was a bug many of my groups encountered with inconsistent rewards on completion.

What we’re seeing in a lot of these cases, is that players actually have beaten the path the day before, so they aren’t getting the first run bonus of the day, since it hasn’t rolled over yet to the next day (the rollover happens at 5pm pacific time).
For instance:

-It’s 10pm at night, you beat CoF Magg chain. You go to bed.
-Patch happens at Midnight.
-Wake up at 8am. Log in, get new patch.
-Run Magg’s chain, see diminished returns.

In that case, the new ‘day’ hasn’t rolled over yet because it’s not 5pm. So you get hit by the diminished returns.

Not saying this is the answer to ALL cases, but it has proven to be the answer of many of the cases. After 5pm today, when everything is rolled over, we’re hoping to see things settle out with the DR system.

My Opinion: the day should roll over at the same time we push patches. I’m going to talk to someone about this…

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Please remove the DR system. It never works correctly and incredibly harshly impacts players that have limited time to play.

Right now it seems like you guys are more focused on making DR systems (which only serve to make the game less fun) than improving the game.

Posted by: Pikafan.3792

Pikafan.3792

What we’re seeing in a lot of these cases, is that players actually have beaten the path the day before, so they aren’t getting the first run bonus of the day, since it hasn’t rolled over yet to the next day (the rollover happens at 5pm pacific time).
For instance:

In that case, the new ‘day’ hasn’t rolled over yet because it’s not 5pm. So you get hit by the diminished returns.

Not saying this is the answer to ALL cases, but it has proven to be the answer of many of the cases. After 5pm today, when everything is rolled over, we’re hoping to see things settle out with the DR system.

My Opinion: the day should roll over at the same time we push patches. I’m going to talk to someone about this…

So, pray tell, how does a player get 45 tokens from a single dungeon clear?

Diminishing rewards on the first time of the day running that particular dungeon path?

You’ve got to be kidding.

Nebilim.5127

For instance:

Nope not the case to me. Definitely bugged. Like i mentioned before, i haven’t done a dungeon since forever. Here screenshots of me running and the time Started 13:09, finished 14:29 or so. Second path i get even less rewards. I should be geting 60, 60 tokens. I will probably get 15 or 20 tokens if i do 3rd path today.

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: serena smith.2734

serena smith.2734

Please remove the DR system. It never works correctly and incredibly harshly impacts players that have limited time to play.

Right now it seems like you guys are more focused on making DR systems (which only serve to make the game less fun) than improving the game.

If DR worked how it should everything would be good enough, gets you things to do besides being stuck doing the same for hrs and hrs. I did farm part of my CoF set before the DR patch, honestly I was a bit happy when I saw I wouldnt be stucked doing the same CoF path 2 all the time to get other pieces for my set, but ofc they other 2 paths are bugged and cant finish them.. But idk I guess I’ll try other dungeons just to see how they are

When the wind is so strong that you almost can hear a whisper calling your name..
This is your calling, to The battle of your life.

Posted by: Uder.9187

Uder.9187

Then your system is borked, people are superkitten about dungeons and you dont realise it.

YOu said in the patchnotes, that we can run every path each day and get 60 tokens, but obviously we cant because there is a mysterious diminishing return…

The Iron Triangle – Desolation
Leina Shade | Svea Lightbringer | Maximus Ironhide | Mara Deathblossom

Posted by: Uder.9187

Uder.9187

For instance:

Ok if that´s the case why people get wierd tokens, then give us a timer somewhere!

The Iron Triangle – Desolation
Leina Shade | Svea Lightbringer | Maximus Ironhide | Mara Deathblossom

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

I can understand the reasoning behind not giving away all the details of the DR system*, but I think that players should be given some in-game notification that they are under the effects of the system. Even if the only information given is “You are under the effects of Diminished Rewards”, and no further information is given about the degree to which rewards are reduced, or how/why you are being hit with the penalty, I think it’s only fair to let players know at the outset of a dungeon run whether or not they should expect full or reduced rewards at the end.

*(I’m assuming that on some level, there’s more going into whether or not you ‘qualify’ for DR than just your completion times, but that the idea is that for an ordinary player that completes dungeons properly, that’s the only metric that is likely to ever come into play. But that’s just speculation.)

Posted by: Eve.1029

Eve.1029

this response quite saddens me. How are we suppose to know it’s working as intended or bug if we don’t know how much we’re suppose to be getting versus what we’re actually getting? I do not find any of my questions unreasonable for an average player to know. Nor do I find it unreasonable to at least have a status checker, so even if we don’t know the actual mechanisms we can know when we can run dungeons w/o experiencing penalties. Being able to chose NOT to run when you’re getting 6silvers and 15 tokens is not exploiting the system.

ChairGraveyard.2967

I agree with you guys, I think we either need to be able to easily check if we’re going to be screwed out of dungeon rewards, or the DR system just needs to be removed completely.

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

Diminishing rewards on the first time of the day running that particular dungeon path?

You are being impacted by the DR system for your path as a result of having completed several other paths too quickly, before going to that specific path. Because you were being influenced by other the DR system, the 60 tokens you earned were diminished to 45.
Can I assume you did a few other paths and got 60 tokens for those?

In the event an exploit happens that allows players to clear different dungeon paths quicker than expected, the DR system also kicks in.

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

I agree with you guys, I think we either need to be able to easily check if we’re going to be screwed out of dungeon rewards, or the DR system just needs to be removed completely.

We are working on a way to better communicate that you are being influenced by the DR system, so it doesn’t come as a surprise when you get it.

ChairGraveyard.2967

@Robert Hrouda, thanks, at least then we won’t have to waste time on junk rewards.

Still seems like a bandaid fix for a problem you guys implemented yourselves, with the correct fix being to remove this horrible system altogether (as well as the loot and event DR systems). Seems pretty clear to me that every single player of the game hates them with a passion.

It would be nice to get a way to check on the other DR systems for loot and events too.

(edited by ChairGraveyard.2967)

Pikafan.3792

You are being impacted by the DR system for your path as a result of having completed several other paths too quickly, before going to that specific path. Because you were being influenced by other the DR system, the 60 tokens you earned were diminished to 45.

In the event an exploit happens that allows players to clear different dungeon paths quicker than expected, the DR system also kicks in.

No, that was clearly the first dungeon I ran that day, after dailies(the chest daily quest is the benchmark I go by to tell if a new day has passed) were clearly reset.

The dungeon was done in 45 minutes, this is more or less accurate as I always set down a Peach Pie Tray for a 1 hour buff the moment the group enters the dungeon and there were 14 minutes left after picking up end credit.

Something is not right here.

(edited by Pikafan.3792)

Posted by: Eli Krey.5368

Eli Krey.5368

How is this possible for me to get affected i did AC Explore path 2 got 45 tokens while all my party members got 60 tokens i didn’t clear any other dungeons before this (at least not today) amd NEVER been doing speed runs on any dungeons all my runs always takes over 40+ mins since the patch came in i got 45 tokens max need an explanation. thanks for ur time

Posted by: Imani Hype.8235

Imani Hype.8235

So you have revised the DR to affect DIFFERENT paths rather than it kicking in only through the repetition of one path like you guys have initially stated before?

From what I’m understanding after the first dungeon run, even if a group is alternately rotating and doing every path for a dungeon, the tokens earned will keep diminishing until it reaches the lowest amount one can get until the next server day. Am I getting this right?

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

No, that was clearly the first dungeon I ran that day, after dailies(the chest daily quest is the benchmark I go by to tell if a new day has passed) were clearly reset.

The dungeon was done in 45 minutes, this is more or less accurate as I always set down a Peach Pie Tray for a 1 hour buff the moment the group enters the dungeon and there were 14 minutes left after picking up end credit.

I’d agree with that information, something isn’t right about you getting hit by the DR system if it was your very first run of the day from any dungeon path. We’ve seen reports of this happening to some players, and we’ll continue working on the system to find and resolve problems. Posting your issue about it helps us narrow the search fields down on what might actually be causing problems. I’ll PM you here in a bit asking for some more information that I can pass along to our programmers.

Eli Krey.5368

Im about to try path 2 of AC again since my daily achievement reseted i’ll let you know the results

Pikafan.3792

I’d agree with that information, something isn’t right about you getting hit by the DR system if it was your very first run of the day from any dungeon path. We’ve seen reports of this happening to some players, and we’ll continue working on the system to find and resolve problems. Posting your issue about it helps us narrow the search fields down on what might actually be causing problems. I’ll PM you here in a bit asking for some more information that I can pass along to our programmers.

You may look through game logs to find that my information is factual. I have every confidence I have not misappropriated, exaggerated or played down any bit of information given in this thread.

The dungeon in question is Twilight Arbor, spider path where you fight Fyonna.

While I have done the exact same path + dungeon the previous day, I am also extremely certain that the day has “reset” due to the mystic coin daily quest resetting, and thus I should obtain 60 tokens, not 45 for that run.

I was gaining credit for the daily throughout that run, if that helps.

Posted by: Rhoda.1654

Rhoda.1654

I played 5 dungeons today, and saw DR on all runs after the first run.

CM path 1: 60 tokens
CM path 2: 45 tokens
CM path 3: 30 tokens (total of 135)
AC path 2: 15 tokens
AC path 3: 6 tokens (total 21)

I haven’t been to CM for about a week and I played AC explorable for the first time. If it helps, I played the dungeons back to back without any breaks between them. I was not the only one with DR, but I was getting way less than others. Two of my group had 180 tokens from CM runs, so DR due to speed clears should not be possible.

(edited by Rhoda.1654)

Jim Travakh.7495

Alright, I’ve just done Honor of the Waves on plunderer route. My group is a pug that started on butcher, doing a full hotw clear, and we were all together doing the dungeon at the same time. So nobody had done a ‘speedclear’.

Butcher was fine, everyone got 60, but plunderer just gave half the group 45 tokens. We finished it at exactly 5:11 pm, and the other half of the group got 60. The rewards are inconsistent with identical behavior, since my group was working since about 3pm. If we were clearing ‘too quickly’, then the DR should have been applied to each member of the group consistently.

So if someone in the group had been speedclearing ‘too quickly’, yet the group has done pretty much the same dungeons together for a solid amount of time and posted identical times for the groupmates, why did DR affect some players in the group but not others? And if DR was in effect, why would it not reset at the 5pm rollover?

I should note that I personally got my 60 tokens out of each path, but since I was there playing with my party members there’s no way any of them were somehow speedclearing faster than I was

(edited by Jim Travakh.7495)

Posted by: Akava Ranveer.6104

Akava Ranveer.6104

I’m going to chime in here because I’m a little upset with this DR system.

The idea is great. However, I just got 45 Tokens from CoE. I have never done this dungeon in explore mode, period. The run took us about 2 hours.

The last dungeon I did was AC explore, last night. That was about 20 hours ago.

But here’s the kicker. The part that literally made me angry. Someone disconnected before the last boss (the poor soul) and we invited someone else to fill the slot. He was in the dungeon not 10 minutes.

BAM 60 tokens. You trollin me dawg?

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Just remove the system. Whats the point making players angry just because some people who play a lot and well get mainly cosmetic stuff a little bit earlier.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Loe.6351

Loe.6351

Yep, not working as they said. Just did Ascalon Catacombs, path 1, for the first time of my life and got 30 tokens. Did path 2 after that, and got 15 Tokens. This runs was 50 minutes after the 30 tokens one.

Posted by: Demosthenes.4635

Demosthenes.4635

Just did 2 dungeons:

1. CM Asura, took 40 minutes, everyone got 60 tokens,
2. CM Seraph, took 50 minutes, two guildies got 60 tokens, I got 45.

Did 1 run of AC Ghost Eater yesterday, and a few runs of CM Sunday.

The weird thing is that I always group with a specific guildie when doing dungeons, we always do them together. It’s strange that he wasn’t impacted by DR, but I was.

Edit: 3rd run, CM butler, took 20-25 minutes, got 30 tokens, guildies got 45. Punished for being efficient. Skipped only the second large group after the corridor with the spike traps. Should have AFK’ed before killing last boss.

(edited by Demosthenes.4635)

Eli Krey.5368

Just Did Ac Explore AGAIN after server resetted and now i got

30 Tokens for path 2 (i did path 2 earlier today and got 45 tokens)

Posted by: Alias.6302

Alias.6302

Did HotW explorable for the first time today, after 5PM PST, and got 30 tokens.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

You may look through game logs to find that my information is factual. I have every confidence I have not misappropriated, exaggerated or played down any bit of information given in this thread.

The dungeon in question is Twilight Arbor, spider path where you fight Fyonna.

While I have done the exact same path + dungeon the previous day, I am also extremely certain that the day has “reset” due to the mystic coin daily quest resetting, and thus I should obtain 60 tokens, not 45 for that run.

I was gaining credit for the daily throughout that run, if that helps.

The daily achievement for the mystic coin resets at 12pm. Apparently dungeons reset at 5pm. 5 hour difference so if all the information in this thread is correct you were probably hit by the DR.

This diminishing returns nonsense has got to go. Just put in a 24 hour lock out timer on each path and call it good. Because it’s clear that you guys (anet) only want us to run a certain path only once every 24 hours.

Ideally you guys would just take care of all the exploits preventing people from finishing runs in minutes so we wouldn’t have to deal with either a lock out or this DR stuff but I guess that’s not going to happen?

If people want to run the same path over and over who cares? Just reduce rewards for that path and make the reward to finish the path reflect the effort put into it. I honestly don’t get why they need all these elaborate systems in place when there are so many easier ways to fix the problems.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Fluffycalico.2715

Fluffycalico.2715

Please tell me doing a dungeon quickly because you know what you are doing and have good gear is not an exploit now. My group kills everything in its path and don’t glitch out anything or any nonsence. We should not get hit for killing quickly.
Also we constantly have the same person getting deminished rewards while the rest of us don’t even though we run together. Clearly you have a bug if 5 people run 4 dungeons together and only 1 gets hit and the other 4 don’t…and it happens day after day.

Pikafan.3792

The daily achievement for the mystic coin resets at 12pm. Apparently dungeons reset at 5pm. 5 hour difference so if all the information in this thread is correct you were probably hit by the DR.

That might have made sense if only there weren’t a 12 hour interval in between the runs I did before and after the patch.

Instead the accurate picture is:
2 TA runs -> mystic coin reset + dungeon reset + patch -> 2 TA runs --————————{ 12 hour period }

My bedtime happens to be right around now, which is included in the 12 hour period.

So there’s absolutely no way I should have been hit by DR.

(edited by Pikafan.3792)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

That might have made sense if only there weren’t a 12 hour interval in between the runs I did before and after the patch.

2 TA runs -> mystic coin reset + dungeon reset + patch -> 2 TA runs --————————{ 12 hour period }

My bedtime happens to be right around now, which is included in the 12 hour period.

Except for it’s 12 pm and 5pm pacific standard time respectively. It’s not based on your local time.

It’s not a 12 hour period. It’s a 24 hour period and as we saw with the patch last week it takes things into consideration that you did before the patch is actually applied to the game.

Pikafan.3792

Except for it’s 12 pm and 5pm pacific standard time respectively. It’s not based on your local time.

It’s not a 12 hour period. It’s a 24 hour period and as we saw with the patch last week it takes things into consideration that you did before the patch is actually applied to the game.

That would definitely still mean I shouldn’t be affected by diminishing returns, even if I were going by the wrong standards. Do the math yourself.

If it’s too difficult for you, all you need to know is that the exact same information given to a dev resulted in the same conclusion he had that I have drawn.

And yes, while I didn’t necessarily figure out it was PST you were referring to, I have a separate clock for the server time in this game(and I selected the option to display server time in game, too), which is essentially PST, and factored that into my calculations.

Thanks, but no thanks for your snottiness, though.

(edited by Pikafan.3792)

Posted by: Derpinator.2894

Derpinator.2894

So what you mean to say is, “Being good is good. Until it’s no longer approved. And we won’t say what approved means.”

I’m not a dungeon guy. I think they’re badly designed. But this is… I don’t have the skill to articulate it. I think “cuz kitten you, that’s why” pretty much covers it.

Not good.

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

I think people need to chill out. Other MMOs use daily lockouts to control how many dungeon tokens one can earn in a space of time, GW2 uses diminishing returns…. it’s more or less the same thing, only in GW2 you can actually “farm” more tokens per day as you’re not hard capped in way that a lockout works.

Get over it!

Posted by: Sarius.6983

Sarius.6983

Hello, just to add aswell that I got hit with the DR . I don’t have the specific times per se, but I roll with a default group most runs.

First path we did was the ascalonian explorable path #2. No wipes nor anything and we finished it at around the 35 minute mark give or take. Everyone except 1 got 60 tokens ((the one that didn’t got 30 and said he ran it earlier today, at 2 am)

Then we ran path #1, flame scepter. Run was about 34 minutes ish give or take and 3 people got 60 tokens, the one that got 30 earlier got 15 and I personally got 45. Taking into account I havent done a dungeon run since pretty much a day before the patch give or take..and everyone that did both path #2 and path#1 was the same..it is unusual that I got hit with the DR while the others did not.

If you need any more specific information , feel free to pm, or post. Hopefully i can easily keep tabs on this post to see what’s wrong with the current implementation that’s causing this DR issue for some but not all.

Posted by: Micky.3782

Micky.3782

I did honor of waves for first time running dung on my alt and only got 6 tokens