Defiance

Defiance

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Suggestion:

When a player interrupts a boss with defiance stack, the boss takes extra damage. If a player interrupts a boss that no longer has any defiance stack, the boss takes a huge hit. 10%, 20%, 50%, 99% hp damage or whatever the devs feel is balanced. Notice: It must have an interrupt message to take extra damage.

Why?

It probably will never hurt FGS 4 spam, It probably will never hurt the meta DPS build. But, It will give useless weapons a purpose, worth, and the skill to use.

This suggestion would be the easiest to balance as it doesn’t really change from a gameplay standpoint, and that it only involves number changing.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Defiance

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m a bit hesitant to support this suggestion.

The reason is quite simple. To a very large degree, CC is exactly as you describe it: an offensive measure. When a boss does a dangerous AoE attack, and one member of the team stops that attack, this means that the rest of the team can continue with their DPSing without having to dodge, run away, rez the downed, switch to range to heal, etc.

It is also defensive in nature, too. So, the suggestion of adding on extra damage to interrupts when an interrupts purpose is to do more damage overall is excessive.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Defiance

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Yes. Using a cc skill on a boss with no defiant stacks to remove 99% of boss’ hp is pretty good idea. Totally balanced too.

Defiance

Posted by: KenSniper.8690

KenSniper.8690

or maybe if CC-ing bosses is chance based, much like how currently blinding a boss gives it a 10% chance to miss

Defiance

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

copy pasting one of my preview post on a similar subject:

I did used to write about this topic in the dungeon forum and I still stand my point Defiant is not that bad of an attribute in the current state of gw2.
With a few alterations to the way it works it could lend to encounters(5 man-ish) where cc have a consequence.
The fact is that even if defiant was removed I would not be such a big deal destroying the boss asap is still a better tactic than stun locking (time wise), in lage events and trains zerg would still effortlessly kill the champ and the overall way to play of the mass would not be affected.
I will illustrate the alterations i would make to Defiant i will give an example.
a 5 man boss has 3 stacks of Defiant.1, each time it is CCed it loses on stack, each 3 second it gains one back, now he has one attack with the potential to wipe the party he uses each X. To counter it you have to 1. prepare a lot of dodges, blocks and invulnerability skills or 2. interrupt the attack.
With just this you changed the way the whole group face the boss each time it charges is wipe move the players will be able to deal with it by using 4 CCs during a 3 seconds window.
Add to this a few “rewards” for interrupting this move like +7% damage dealt or a 4 seconds stun on the boss and you have even more interesting ways to play around the boss as a groups: use the highest burst abilities only after the move is interrupted …
…they can do so much…

Defiance

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

or maybe if CC-ing bosses is chance based, much like how currently blinding a boss gives it a 10% chance to miss

Oh yeah absolutely! More RNG in the game! Maybe make it so that when you try to move your character you have a 50% chance to move and a 50% chance to delete your character!

Attachments:

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Defiance

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

10% of level 80 legendary end boss is about 130k. Sounds fair.

Defiance

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

A lot of PvE enemies’ attacks aren’t designed with interrupts in mind. Back during that ~3 day period when Mesmers could actually interrupt through defiant (Power Block before it was nerfed into PvE uselessness), I (and many others I would assume) did a lot of testing and playing around with it.

There are actually several attacks that bosses use, that don’t actually channel the attack (making the attack interruptable), but simply have a forced animation follow through after the attack (even if the attack’s effect pulses, suggesting that it is channelled). A good example of this is the AC P1 final boss: his scream appears as if it is channelled, it deals damage and conditions with pulses, and there is a “screaming” animation while this is happening. However if you interrupt this scream, all that will happen is that you will shake him out of his self imposed stun (which is what the scream animation basically is), while the scream’s effect still pulses damage and conditions.

Additionally the other day when there was an daily interrupt achievement, I ran into some enemies in open world (Jotun) which had skills that behaved similarly, where they would appear to channel a skill for a second or so, but attempting to interrupt did absolutely nothing because this again, was basically a fake-channel, or self imposed disable while their skill just acted normally.

tl;dr: This game’s PvE isn’t designed for anything but DPS. Control = LoS. Support = Might. Damage = stacked up melee cleaves.

Defiance

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Please, tell me more about how in trinity games, healers and tanks serving as the whipping boys of DPS doesn’t turn their instances in to “anything but DPS”.

In this MMO and every other MMO, all support is designed around maximising damage output, whether that be from taking threat off the damage dealers, healing through damage or mitigating damage.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes